Jack Salmon regs? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
Maddie'sDaddy
Sturgeon
 
Maddie'sDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hillsboro
Posts: 3,774
Default Jack Salmon regs?

I seen in another post here that Jack salmon other than Coho has a limit of 5 for retention, is that for the fall fish as in the season right now?
Why I ask is my buddy got a jack Chinook today and I got an adult and we concidered ourselves limited , Would that be right or was he able to keep fishing for an adult also and could we keep fishing for Jacks?
Im very confused about the Jack thing as far as retention.





MD

__________________
Love Hard
Play Hard
Die Happy
Maddie'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
Nothing but Net
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 102
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

Jacks do not count towards your adult limit. 5 is for the day. Good job on the fish. ( check the regs. to make sure)
Nothing but Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
12244
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palmer Alaska
Posts: 7,681
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

Jacks are not tagged or counted in the adult tally, only in the 5 a day Jack limit.

Make sure you have a Jack, check the measurements carefully, and it should be a male.



Lots of young Chinook hens similar in size to a Jack runnin' up this year.



I have also caught a lot of mini-Jacks, which are of hatchery origin, and about 12"
12244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
WhiteWaterFisher
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas, OR
Posts: 447
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

Didn't they up it to 10 a day?
__________________
WhiteWaterFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Ty
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Alaska! from Oregon, college in Montana
Posts: 4,224
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinsDriftboat View Post
Jacks are not tagged or counted in the adult tally, only in the 5 a day Jack limit.

Make sure you have a Jack, check the measurements carefully, and it should be a male.



Lots of young Chinook hens similar in size to a Jack runnin' up this year.



I have also caught a lot of mini-Jacks, which are of hatchery origin, and about 12"

Curious....

Did you cut open the so called "Jack hens".... What size range where they???
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
Maddie'sDaddy
Sturgeon
 
Maddie'sDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hillsboro
Posts: 3,774
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

It was definately a Buck and he was 20-21" inches using my cooler ruler, and If thats the case I better not tell my bud that we could have kept fishing for an adult for him


Thanks Everyone



MD
__________________
Love Hard
Play Hard
Die Happy
Maddie'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
12244
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palmer Alaska
Posts: 7,681
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?



When the nets are in, we only get this size of unmarked fish. I thought I got another Steelhead, soon after the first fish. Same size, but a Salmon.


Last edited by 12244; 09-15-2008 at 08:06 AM.
12244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
Jig
Steelhead
 
Jig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 491
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

There are Jack "Hens" which are called Jennie's...though not very common.
Jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
Ty
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Alaska! from Oregon, college in Montana
Posts: 4,224
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig View Post
There are Jack "Hens" which are called Jennie's...though not very common.
There are less then 5% age females..... Jennies are a long standing NW myth.... However, there are very small age 3 chinook that return at a smaller size then normal 3's that are Jack size........

Would luv to see some chinook salmon <20" from Oregon that are female...

In AK their are less then 5% female that are <28".
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
12244
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palmer Alaska
Posts: 7,681
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

I am refering to Chinook just over 24" that can be mistakenly not tagged.

Without proper measuring, and then making an assumption its a Jack, you might be fined when it is measured by LEO.
Don't forget to bring a measuring tape!
These fish are great eating, fighting, and dont fill a tag up. And they squeeze through the nets, for those slow no big fish days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty View Post
There are less then 5% age females..... Jennies are a long standing NW myth.... However, there are very small age 3 chinook that return at a smaller size then normal 3's that are Jack size........

Would luv to see some chinook salmon <20" from Oregon that are female...

In AK their are less then 5% female that are <28".

Last edited by 12244; 09-15-2008 at 01:05 PM.
12244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
Stinkbait
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Waldport, OR
Posts: 309
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

We make a trip to Hell's Canyon every fall and wonder why jacks can't be retained. Didn't think they participated in the mating ritual. Maybe just a blanket rule to keep any salmon from being retained incorrectly in the spawning grounds.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
12244
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palmer Alaska
Posts: 7,681
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

I don't think there is total agreement on the vitality of Jacks spawning with older hens. The most recent articles I have read say its a natural occurence with no weakening of the genes? Anyone have some info on this?

I know I wont be keeping any more mini-Jacks, they are mushy like most pellet heads that they are.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
We make a trip to Hell's Canyon every fall and wonder why jacks can't be retained. Didn't think they participated in the mating ritual. Maybe just a blanket rule to keep any salmon from being retained incorrectly in the spawning grounds.
12244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
Ty
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Alaska! from Oregon, college in Montana
Posts: 4,224
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinsDriftboat View Post
I don't think there is total agreement on the vitality of Jacks spawning with older hens. The most recent articles I have read say its a natural occurence with no weakening of the genes? Anyone have some info on this?

I know I wont be keeping any more mini-Jacks, they are mushy like most pellet heads that they are.
Jacks can be very successful in spawning.... They will mate w/ large hens and either work in groups to be successful or are "sneaker spawners." If you observe chinook on the spawning grounds a ripe hen will attract many mates... While the battle ensues amoung large males the smaller males will be busy doing their thing untilll the dominant males gets back to the female.

Last edited by Ty; 09-15-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #14
TooDrunkToFish
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,110
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

As an aside, under the WA state regs, a "jack" chinook is any chinook under 24 inches. The WA regs do not differentiate between male vs. female.

That being said, a "jill" would therefore be legal to retain in WA waters where retention of "jacks" is legal.
TooDrunkToFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
Twoshottom
Chromer
 
Twoshottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Longview, WA
Posts: 660
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

My buddy and I have been having this discussion. I have a Washington license and on the Columbia you can keep up to 6 salmon, only 2 adults and only one Chinook. A Chinook “jack” is less than 24”. My buddy argues that they don’t have to be marked on the “record card”. If that is true, why is there a “CHIN JACK” spot on the record card? I can't find anything in the regulations. Anybody know the answer?
I’ve caught 2 chinook jacks in the last 2 weeks and put them on my record card to avoid any hassle at the ramp but haven’t been checked.
Twoshottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
TooDrunkToFish
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,110
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoshottom View Post
My buddy and I have been having this discussion. I have a Washington license and on the Columbia you can keep up to 6 salmon, only 2 adults and only one Chinook. A Chinook “jack” is less than 24”. My buddy argues that they don’t have to be marked on the “record card”. If that is true, why is there a “CHIN JACK” spot on the record card? I can't find anything in the regulations. Anybody know the answer?
I’ve caught 2 chinook jacks in the last 2 weeks and put them on my record card to avoid any hassle at the ramp but haven’t been checked.
You have to record jack salmon in WA state, and so that's why they have spots on the catch card to record jacks. Per page 26 of the WA regs:

Washington Administrative Code (WAC 220-56-175, WAC
220-69-236) requires all kept sturgeon, steelhead, salmon, halibut, and Puget Sound Dungeness Crab to be recorded on your Catch Record
Card
TooDrunkToFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #17
Twoshottom
Chromer
 
Twoshottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Longview, WA
Posts: 660
Default Re: Jack Salmon regs?

I missed it in the regs. Thank you!
Twoshottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.89185 seconds with 38 queries