Willamette River fish counts over Oregon City. - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
Dave G
King Salmon

Default Willamette River fish counts over Oregon City.

Remember this thread from last year? What is up with the counts? My god they can count 10,000 fish a day going up the Columbia. Why the heck can’t they at least get the OC in the current month? Great job ODFW.

Dave Giovenco

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
stlhdrgrn
Sturgeon

Default Re: Willamette River fish counts over Oregon City.

The ladder has been dry for repairs. I guess that means that the count recently would be 0.
stlhdrgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlhdrgrn View Post
The ladder has been dry for repairs. I guess that means that the count recently would be 0.
Repairing it at THIS time??? I don't know exactly what that means...does that mean there is no avenue for the fish to get above the falls? Doesn't make much sense if I understand correctly.
MsOutdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
SixS
Coho

There really are very few fish to count this time of year at the OC falls. A few summers, possibly a few Coho, a very few fall Chinook. I do recall a time (a couple decades ago) when there were 25,000+ fall Chinooks (Tules) that would blast their way up the Willamette in the Fall. I also remember a good number of Tules in the lower Clackamas, not all that long ago...
SixS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Prosopium
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixS View Post
There really are very few fish to count this time of year at the OC falls. A few summers, possibly a few Coho, a very few fall Chinook. I do recall a time (a couple decades ago) when there were 25,000+ fall Chinooks (Tules) that would blast their way up the Willamette in the Fall. I also remember a good number of Tules in the lower Clackamas, not all that long ago...
That's great info... but hey- you're new here. The custom is to tell us a good fish story and introduce yourself. You might want to start a new thread...
Prosopium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
Dave G
King Salmon

Quote:
I have heard that before. BUT, how hard can it be to allegedly count 1 fish? Rumors have it there is a pretty decent coho run this year for some reason. But you can't tell from the fish count page. Thanks again for nothing ODFW.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
stlhdrgrn
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsOutdrs View Post
Repairing it at THIS time??? I don't know exactly what that means...does that mean there is no avenue for the fish to get above the falls? Doesn't make much sense if I understand correctly.
From the website,
* On Aug.26th the fish ladder was dewatered due to maintenance work.
And will be dewatered for a week or more.

Prior to the poisoning of the Molala in the early 70,s there were thousands of tules in there. Gee I wonder if that had an effect on the native Steelhead?
Sorry for deviating from the thread. Now back to the missing counts
stlhdrgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
SixS
Coho

Smile Re: Willamette River fish counts over Oregon City.

OK then. Here’s my story. I have fished for steelhead and salmon for about 25 years or so. I live in Gladstone, on the banks of the Clackamas River. Down in our backyard, I sometimes plant a garden. Given that our backyard is in the 5-year flood plain, it does flood sometimes, but usually in the Fall/Winter. A few years back, I had a little garden, and put the green plastic fencing around it to keep the “wild” animals J out (Nutria, Possum). Well, Fall came and I hadn’t removed the fencing yet – didn’t think much of it. A good freshet came and flooded the backyard and the remnants of the garden. A couple days later, the river dropped down and left me a surprise in the garden fence…. It left me wondering if I should be using bigger mesh fencingJ.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FishOn.JPG (60.7 KB, 349 views)
SixS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:25 AM   #9
dog501
Tuna!

Great story. Thanks for sharing.
dog501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #10
RiverJohn
King Salmon

Quote:
OK then. Here’s my story. I have fished for steelhead and salmon for about 25 years or so. I live in Gladstone, on the banks of the Clackamas River. Down in our backyard, I sometimes plant a garden. Given that our backyard is in the 5-year flood plain, it does flood sometimes, but usually in the Fall/Winter. A few years back, I had a little garden, and put the green plastic fencing around it to keep the “wild” animals J out (Nutria, Possum). Well, Fall came and I hadn’t removed the fencing yet – didn’t think much of it. A good freshet came and flooded the backyard and the remnants of the garden. A couple days later, the river dropped down and left me a surprise in the garden fence…. It left me wondering if I should be using bigger mesh fencingJ.

Welcome !!! Six

Is that a big ol Pike Minnow ?
RiverJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
Grant Scheele

[quote=SixS;2171841]OK then. Here’s my story. I have fished for steelhead and salmon for about 25 years or so. I live in Gladstone, on the banks of the Clackamas River. Down in our backyard, I sometimes plant a garden. Given that our backyard is in the 5-year flood plain, it does flood sometimes, but usually in the Fall/Winter. A few years back, I had a little garden, and put the green plastic fencing around it to keep the “wild” animals J out (Nutria, Possum). Well, Fall came and I hadn’t removed the fencing yet – didn’t think much of it. A good freshet came and flooded the backyard and the remnants of the garden. A couple days later, the river dropped down and left me a surprise in the garden fence…. It left me wondering if I should be using bigger mesh fencingJ.

[/quote

What a great photo!! Thanks for sharing! Grant
GDF Spinners
BYO Flashers
Amerman Salmon Eggs
Farmers Insurance Agent 541-791-7695
Contact me for Guides/Outfitters Insurance
http://home.comcast.net/~grantsnwguideservice/
Grant Scheele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
Dave G
King Salmon

Quote:

Great story, welcome.