It's going "Beep, beep, beep"! - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

Default It's going "Beep, beep, beep"!

I have a late 90's Merc 115 w/Jet Pump on my sled.

Generally speaking it has very low hours on it.

The other day I was out fishing, it fired up/ran fine, as usual.

Each of 2 times we hooked landed 'nooks, I fired it up and we went back up and got in line...NO Problems.

While sitting there I reached over and flipped the Auto-Tilt/Trim Switch.

It DIDN'T move, but the Solenoid went "click, click" when I toggled it. (To me this means the high current leads/terminals are probably dirty/corroded and need cleaning?)

That was the ONLY "thing" that I did differently or to it.

Then, when starting up to return to the launch ramp, it went "Beep" when I turned on the key (normal) but when I fired up the motor it continously went "Beep, beep, beep".

I don't have an Owner's Manual or shop repair manual for this motor, but I know that the Beep, Beep usually means the motor's low on oil or it's not being delivered, or the motor's overheating.

My Oil Tank's 7/8th full and I have a good Tell Tale of water out of the engine, so I really don't think it's either one, but I certainly didn't want to take a chance so I shut it down and returned to the ramp on my kicker.

I suspect that I did "something", electrically, when I toggled my Tilt Switch.

Who's got any ideas on this, and how can I check it out/repair it?

Any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
joemomma
Ifish Nate

Default Re: It's going "Beep, beep, beep"!

Could it be your hour meter? My Suzuki has a light on the dash that flashes first 20hrs, then every 100!

Fish long, Fish hard, and always fish with your kids and your Labrador

Been farther up a pole than you have been away from home kid!

JOIN CCA
joemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemomma View Post
Could it be your hour meter? My Suzuki has a light on the dash that flashes first 20hrs, then every 100!
Good thought!

But...I dunno!?

As far as I know my motor doesn't HAVE an hour meter on it (yeah, I know I should! )

I don't think that's it...
Old 09-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
BassinFever
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc_sbio View Post
Good thought!

But...I dunno!?

As far as I know my motor doesn't HAVE an hour meter on it (yeah, I know I should! )

I don't think that's it...
Being a Merc, I bet that you have some air in your under cowl oil tank! Purge it and you should be fine.

BassinFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
PRINCEMASTER
Chromer

Type in the model and such in google. I cant begin to tell you how many answers...owners manuals...and such i have obtained off the net.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Boats
Ifish Nate

The dealer (Stevens) can you how many hours are on it.

Mine did that when it was low on oil (4 stroke). I think tilting the engine back made the oil clear the sensor... Then when the engines were left down for a few minutes, I could start it without the beeps.

Adding oil made the beeps go away altogether.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
AlK
Coho

I have a 95 Merc 115 hp on my boat and had a same problem - continuous alarm sound. It ended up being the OIL WARNING MODULE (Part #14857A16) was faulty. Oil was being injected but the warning module was faulty.
AlK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

O.k., and thanks all.

We have several ideas going here...

It looks like some repsonders didn't read exactly WHAT I wrote.

"Mine did that when it was low on oil (4 stroke). I think tilting the engine back made the oil clear the sensor"

O.k., but my motor was never tilted...

"Being a Merc, I bet that you have some air in your under cowl oil tank! Purge it and you should be fine."

Yeah, it could be THAT, but it's strange in that just an hour before it was fine, and my oil tank's near full.

How'd it get air at the bottom of the Oil Tank? It's never been less than half full as long as I've owned it.

"I have a 95 Merc 115 hp on my boat and had a same problem - continuous alarm sound. It ended up being the OIL WARNING MODULE (Part #14857A16) was faulty. Oil was being injected but the warning module was faulty."

Yep, could definitely be that...but I was hoping that it wasn't.

The only thing "different" that I did right before this happened was trying to raise/lower the Power Tilt (which didn't lift, nor the motor move).

Any more ideas out there? Keep 'em coming!

Old 09-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #9
fishkisser
King Salmon

Cool Re: It's going "Beep, beep, beep"!

Disconnect the wires to your oil tank and see if the alarm stops ..
If it does not stop beeping its for something else , you may have cooked the sensor to something when you tilted your motor ...
Also check the charging system and fuses for any malfunctions ...
Old 09-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
Boats
Ifish Nate

Quote:
O.k., but my motor was never tilted...

I'm sorry. Didn't mean to suggest that you had. For that matter my engines are 4-strokes so I wasn't even suggesting the same problem... only that the beeps indicate an engine warning and to give an example of what might cause one.

I still think your best bet is Steven's Marine... If it is beeping... it should be storing an fault code that they can retrieve with their computer.
If you can't get to the bottom of this via basic troubleshooting; then you'll save yourself alot of time going that route.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
BassinFever
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc_sbio View Post
O.k., and thanks all.

"Being a Merc, I bet that you have some air in your under cowl oil tank! Purge it and you should be fine."

Yeah, it could be THAT, but it's strange in that just an hour before it was fine, and my oil tank's near full.

"NEAR FULL" Isn't good enough, it has to be absolutly free from "ALL" air! Loosten the cap and let it idle untill oil starts to seep around the cap and tighten it down.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
Boatdog
Scallywag

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinFever View Post
"NEAR FULL" Isn't good enough, it has to be absolutly free from "ALL" air! Loosten the cap and let it idle untill oil starts to seep around the cap and tighten it down.
This really puzzles me. My late 90's two stroke has a oil resevoir under the cowling. I fill it with oil and the motor uses oil from this tank. Then I refill, and the motor uses more, repeat.

I guess I don't see how oil would fill up this tank on it's own while in idle.

I must be missing something. But that wouldn't be anything new.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #13
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

Quote:

Well, that sounds GREAT!

But I guess I just DON'T Understand what you're trying to describe?!!

(You do realize I'm talking about a 2-Stroke motor here, and this is the Auto-Lube Oil Resevoir Tank)

I mean, after all, it IS a Reservoir...

It CAN'T always be totally "Full" (the instant the motor's fired up it's going to start using some)

The point I'm trying to make is as long as the air is on TOP of the Oil (and the oil tank's nowhere near empty) there shouldn't be a problem as I see it. (never has been before and I've run it down to half full...I'm sure others have run their's close to empty at times? That's what the warning Beeper is for, right?)

"Loosen the cap and let it idle untill oil starts to seep around the cap"

O.k., so what's this supposed to do? (I guess if I better understand what we're trying to achieve here, it'll make it easier to give it a try)

So again, I'm down ~1-1/2" out of a tank that's 15" Tall, 9-1/2" Long x 4" Wide. I'm guessing that I've got at least 1-1/2 to 2 gallons of oil in it, hardly about to "run low".

Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

I was kind of hoping that maybe someone here knew a check-out/test procedure that I could use to measure electrically and see if I could troubleshoot the problem to locate what it is and then what the fix might be.

My "situation" is that I'm in Hillsboro and with a pump it's not like hooking some ear muffs on it and firing it up off my hose.

I pretty much have to TAKE the boat somewhere there's water and drop it in to fire up/test this.

That means either back over near Sauvie Is. or Haag Lake, each about the same distance from me.

I was hoping that someone would say something like, "Disconnect the Blue wire from the sensor then measure the resistance to Ground. You should read 2.4 Meg Ohms. If it's more, your sensor's shot"...something like that.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:36 AM   #15
Cliff D.
Sturgeon

Steven's Marine is closer than Hagg or Sauvie.
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #16
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff D. View Post
Steven's Marine is closer than Hagg or Sauvie.
I couldn't agree more (but I view it as a last resort for a technical/mechanical guy, which I am).

It's also a LOT more Expen$ive, especially if there's a "simple fix".

When I think about this problem, what I see is most likely either a temporary malfunction, or else a component failure, most likely caused by a voltage spike or current surge. It may be recoverable by a simple adjustment, or it might require a component replacement.

IF I know how to check this out and/or where to look, I can most likely repair it myself.

This is the part where a shop and the knowledge they have, like Stevens, really shines.

However I can unscrew 2-4 Screws, replace a module, and reconnect 1-6 wires with the best of 'em.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #17
Lurp
Tuna!

If you know some one who has the same motor you could take readings off their sending units, etc and compare with yours or if a dealer will let you get readings off new units
Sometimes this works but sometimes there is such a wide range in which a unit will function normally, that there can be a large difference and a unit may look bad because of the difference yet both are good
If you have a really good friend you can swap parts between motors and see if the problem goes to the other motor
I think what they were trying to tell you about tank level is this:

I have a sportjet, it has two tanks
A large tank that I fill, it has no sensors on it.
It feeds a small tank on the motor that has a float in the cap.
The small tank feeds the motor, it only gets low and sets off the alarm
when the large tank gets empty
With the cap loose on the small tank it bleeds air from it with the motor running
I am not familar with your motor but thought this info might help

Another thing, my sportjet beeps several times then pauses for awhile then repeats if it is a low oil problem
If it is a temp problem it beeps constant
The alarm should identify the problem by the number of beeps

The sportjet has a hose on top of the motor with a plug in it I can hook a garden hose there run the motor and back flush the cooling system
That cured an overheating problem I had last year

Like I said these are two different motors but they are both merc so there might be something similar that helps

Hope this helps
Lurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #18
fishgetter
Tuna!

I had the same problem, twice!!! Once it was the float switch not working and once it was an oil sending unit box gizomo??? The first fix was under $50 and the second was like $300. I could not find the problem but my mechanic did. I have a 1992 175 Merc/Mariner. Hope this helps.
fishgetter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:01 AM   #19
Cliff D.
Sturgeon

From the tone of your posts it seems like you were getting a little wound up. Sometimes it's best to step back and let a fresh prospective have a look. Ask Boat Doc. Under your scenario he could give you the easy fix answer ,or tell you if it's going to need more indepth analysis. P.S. I'm also a technical/mechanical guy,but some things are just left to the experts,that's what all the years of learnin' have taught me.

Last edited by Cliff D.; 09-13-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:38 AM   #20
Flatfish
King Salmon

Could be a few things

1-Crud clogging oil tank.

2-The oil system needs to be bled.

3-Are all the tank lids on tight?

4-Drive gear is broken

5-Hole in the line

6-Other.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #21
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

O.k. everybody, thanks for you thoughts and ideas on this.

Nope, I'm not getting wound up, just trying to figure what the Technician would do, especially after I added my comments on what proceded this occuring.

I figure given the symptoms and a description of what lead up to the problem, a good Technician (hmm...we used to call them "mechanics") should be able to most likely troubleshoot this in 10-15 min. or less. Of course it could take somewhat longer to actually affect a fix, unless it's something really simple like some sort of reset.

And while it could be something mechanical or simply "physical" like air trapped in an oil line, I have tendency to believe that it's something electronic/electrical.

The reasons I say this are:

Everything was "fine" just prior to this occuring, the oiling system (apparently WAS working properly)

The Oil Reservoir Tank is up, close to the top with oil.

The Tank Cap is on tight, and I opened/loosened it and retightened it to double check out on the water.

Everything was FINE until I played with the Tilt/Trim Switch.

The engine was COLD when I fired it up and it immediately started beeping continuously, so I rule out that it was overheating as an actual problem (doesn't mean that the O'Heat Sensor doesn't have a problem though).

So just maybe what I'll do next is actually GET myself a Service Manual for it (because I really should have one, anyway)

Then I'll (hopefully) discover the steps in troubleshooting this and should be able to do it. (hopefully, fairly quickly)

If not, well then there's always the shop.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #22
fishkisser
King Salmon

Cool Re: It's going "Beep, beep, beep"!

Good Luck with your analytical endeavors ...
Old 09-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #23
BassinFever
Chromer

Quote:
This information is only good if you have two oil tanks, one in the back of the boat and one under the cowling. If you just have the tank under the cowling then disreguard anything I have had to say! If you have two tanks follow my advice. By tilting the engine you could have just made the testing device on the engine to reset! If you have two tanks, this tank under the cowing has to be free from any air!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #24
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

Quote:
By tilting the engine you could have just made the testing device on the engine to reset!

There's only ONE...under the cowling on my motor.

AND...the motor NEVER Tilted

(Only the switch was touched)

Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #25
Lou
Ifish Nate

Electrical. You have a sensor that is failing. Which one?
You will need to start disconnecting them one at a time.
It could be your ignition or the tilt (it could be stuck).
My
Support your Veterans!
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 AM   #26
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Electrical. You have a sensor that is failing. Which one?
You will need to start disconnecting them one at a time.
It could be your ignition or the tilt (it could be stuck).
My
Yep, my thinking too!