Beetle cleaning of skulls? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 09-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
High Country
Steelhead

Default Beetle cleaning of skulls?

Anyone know of a local buisness or someone who has these type of beetles?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
seaworthy
Steelhead

Default Re: Beetle cleaning of skulls?

i boil my skulls for 20 min then pick the meat off then keep repeting tell it is clean. Then boil it in bleach water, you just dont want to boil it longer then 2o min at a time because it will crack the skull. It takes about a hour and looks good. but i dont know any one that has beetles.
seaworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
ryleysmom
Tuna!

Over here in Bend, we just tie to a tree, and set it on top of a ant hill, and in about 2 to 4 weeks, all you have left is the skull clean, good luck.
"Norski"
Old 09-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
osulogger
Tuna!

never boil a skull in bleach. You'll deteriorate the bone and it will eventually fall apart. Simmer the skull in hot water in the 20 minute intervals with some sal soda and pick the meat off. Do this until you get it all clean.

If you want to whiten, use hydrogen peroxide (3% over the counter works just fine). Depending on how big of a skull will depend on how much you need.

The nearest beetle guy that I know who does it professionally is skull doctor in Cave Junction. I think they have a website, do a search for it.

From the land of Big Sticks,

Osulogger

osulogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
seaworthy
Steelhead

[quote=osulogger;2162475]never boil a skull in bleach. You'll deteriorate the bone and it will eventually fall apart. Simmer the skull in hot water in the 20 minute intervals with some sal soda and pick the meat off. Do this until you get it all clean.

If you want to whiten, use hydrogen peroxide (3% over the counter works just fine). Depending on how big of a skull will depend on how much you need.

The nearest beetle guy that I know who does it professionally is skull doctor in Cave Junction. I think they have a website, do a search for it.

i have some skulls from 2 years ago that i boiled in bleach that still look good. maybe just got luckey
seaworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
TubeFly
Steelhead

Beacon Hill Biological/ Skullduggery-
Bob did a Pope and Young blacktail buck I killed last year and did an incredible job. Super friendly and super knowledgable, Bob does museum quality skulls for public and private professionals all over the world. As a retired biologist he really knows his stuff and seeing his workshop is worth the drive itself. Very good prices and I was very happy to meet him and learn of his skills. Check out his website I will be going there again this year hopefully when the tag is filled..........
Ryon
TubeFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
ommedia
Ifish Nate

most every taxidermist has a beattle shop they use, some have their own. There is an outfit in Sandy, Bend, Cave Junction to name a few. Contact your taxidermist.

Naturual Instincts/Tim Brown uses the guy in Sandy I believe.

As a measurer, I recommend that you do NOT boil any skull that is a potential record book animal.

Tim R

B&C, P&Y, NWBG, LHS Official Measurer, NRA Member
OMH, OHA & RMEF Life Member
Just Wac'em!
ommedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Rusty

The best in this area is Fred Hays. He does over 1000 skulls a year. He uses the "Beetle" technology.

As per AUP's, simply PM me for his phone number.

Rusty
Old 09-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
riverswild
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by osulogger View Post
never boil a skull in bleach. You'll deteriorate the bone and it will eventually fall apart. Simmer the skull in hot water in the 20 minute intervals with some sal soda and pick the meat off. Do this until you get it all clean.

Osulogger

+1
riverswild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #10
Loner
Steelhead

My last bull was buried up the bottom of the horns the garden for the winter, it worked fine but I didnít take the tag or so it left a ring. Next time I am going to get a cheap cat litter box put a couple inches of water in it and cover everything in a black plastic bag, then hydrogen peroxide, plaster to set the all thread make the plaque, then on the wall. love euro mounts.

Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeFly View Post
Beacon Hill Biological/ Skullduggery-
Bob did a Pope and Young blacktail buck I killed last year and did an incredible job. Super friendly and super knowledgable, Bob does museum quality skulls for public and private professionals all over the world. As a retired biologist he really knows his stuff and seeing his workshop is worth the drive itself. Very good prices and I was very happy to meet him and learn of his skills. Check out his website I will be going there again this year hopefully when the tag is filled..........
Ryon

Hes good and hes close.
HntnFsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #12
BeaverPride
Chromer

Can't say enough good things about Skullduggery.
BeaverPride is offline   Reply With Quote