halibut fishing 08 - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
12footer
Steelhead

Default halibut fishing 08

This is more a general question for folks with a 20' boat or smaller. I've watched the weather for over two months. Have any of you been able to get out? I don't ever remember the seas being this rough for this long. Basically just frustrated and want some BUTT!!

12footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
blue ranger
Steelhead

Default Re: halibut fishing 08

I have only been going out about every other week, and I cannot wait to get back out. Maybe Tuesday. The halibut this year seem to be a little deeper than what I was catching them at last year. I have only been out once for tuna this year and it is killing me. I have a 20 foot seahawk so I pick my days out of garibaldi carefully. Last year I went out at least twice as much. Oh well. Good luck and be safe!
blue ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
wak'm&stak'm
Ifish Nate

You are correct it has been a wierd this year, the left over quota from the spring was because in part from fuel costs but weather had a bigger role.

We are all tagged out this year and seemed to find some good days but most nice days were in the middle of the week it seemed.

we caught a lot of fish this year, I am sure we released well over one hundred and fifty(truth) but not many real big ones, the biggest was like 90 pounds.

What was sad this year was the awesome silver fishing that started just before the season closed. The boats were getting limits in an hour or less and almost all clipped fish, and nice size.

The crabbing was generally pretty good, (had 6 commercial pots out all spring and summer) I was keeping a record but quit in late June, but we had kept almost 200 by that time and probably kept another 150 after that. Kind of a early molt and the season closed when they were getting into good shape again.... that is the reason to seperate the sports from the commercials.

I was hoping for a good Sept tuna thing.... fingers crossed.
wak'm&stak'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
The Lucky Duck
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wak'm&stak'm View Post
You are correct it has been a wierd this year, the left over quota from the spring was because in part from fuel costs but weather had a bigger role.

We are all tagged out this year and seemed to find some good days but most nice days were in the middle of the week it seemed.

we caught a lot of fish this year, I am sure we released well over one hundred and fifty(truth) but not many real big ones, the biggest was like 90 pounds.

What was sad this year was the awesome silver fishing that started just before the season closed. The boats were getting limits in an hour or less and almost all clipped fish, and nice size.

The crabbing was generally pretty good, (had 6 commercial pots out all spring and summer) I was keeping a record but quit in late June, but we had kept almost 200 by that time and probably kept another 150 after that. Kind of a early molt and the season closed when they were getting into good shape again.... that is the reason to seperate the sports from the commercials.

I was hoping for a good Sept tuna thing.... fingers crossed.
Now that's a nice report! Thanks wak.
The Lucky Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
12footer
Steelhead

Glad some folks were able to get out and whack a few to say the least...
12footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Capt. Slick
Steelhead

I have a 20' Seahawk. New in 07. I have been watching the weather since March to go target lings and it has been a bad year. I was able to fish halibut one time in the early season. I went out three times in the late season but whent twice on "iffy" at best predictions and tuna once on a not so great prediction, wich ended up an excelent day.
What kind of ocean are you looking for? I look for 4-5 foot Swell with 8-10 seconds and 1-2 wind waves before i make the call to drive 2 hours. I also got turned around on a 3-1 prediction that was more like 4-3. I also have targeted the pile rather than the ranch this year. I guess i can say i feal your pain and good luck. My pilosophy is if it to rough i turn around and there will alway's be another day to fish.
Capt. Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
OB1
Chromer

I have a 20 ft Seahawk and made it once to the Chicken Ranch and got a limit but have been watching the weather ever since and nothing has been decent. I'm hoping for another round of halibut soon.
OB1 is offline   Reply With Quote