Little Chief smoker time? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
arkansasbasser
Ifish Nate

Default Little Chief smoker time?

I have a Little Cheif smoker and I am wondering about the smoking time. Does anyone out there use one of these and if so, how long do you leave salmon on? I don't like dry fish. I don't have the box it came in so just using it as is. Thanks in advance for advise. Bill

Last edited by arkansasbasser; 08-11-2008 at 06:59 AM.
arkansasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Boatdog
Scallywag

Default Re: Little Chief smoker time?

Just my opinion, but, I don't think there is an amount of "time" to smoke. There are too many variables.

Amount of fish on racks.
Thickness of fish pieces.
Ambient temperature, cold day versus hot day.
Individual burner variances.

I have to check each batch 'visually' as it's smoking. Maybe even try a sample. Remember that the top and bottom racks will cook at different temperatures. Be sure to check the bottom rack if you have a top loader. I'd start with about 4 hours, possibly 6, and as much as 8 hours this time of year for thick/large pieces. Just start checking the product early in the process.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
arkansasbasser
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdog View Post
Just my opinion, but, I don't think there is an amount of "time" to smoke. There are too many variables.

Amount of fish on racks.
Thickness of fish pieces.
Ambient temperature, cold day versus hot day.
Individual burner variances.

I have to check each batch 'visually' as it's smoking. Maybe even try a sample. Remember that the top and bottom racks will cook at different temperatures. Be sure to check the bottom rack if you have a top loader. I'd start with about 4 hours, possibly 6, and as much as 8 hours this time of year for thick/large pieces. Just start checking the product early in the process.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Boatdog. I will use that method next time. Bill
Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
sschwab
Chromer

Check early and often in hot weather/direct sun.

I gave my mother-in-law a suggestion for 4 - 6 hours for filets from a 12 pound salmon in her new little chief.

She called me crying that my instructions caused her to ruin $75 worth of fish. It was nothing but char after 6 hours. She lives in Las Vegas and had her smoker on the back deck in direct sun and outside temp of about 104.

Ouch.
sschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
fishkisser
King Salmon

Cool Re: Little Chief smoker time?

I purchased a smoker blanket for my brinkman and it cuts the time in half ...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rue&hasJS=true
Old 08-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
007SPRIG
Tuna!

I don't know if they still do this but you used to be able to order just about any part for a little or big chief smoker. Including the box.
007SPRIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
arkansasbasser
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkisser View Post
I purchased a smoker blanket for my brinkman and it cuts the time in half ...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rue&hasJS=true
I was using a Brinkman water smoker and it was cold and windy. So, being the clever fellow that I am, I wrapped some 6" fiberglass insulation around it, put the turkey on, and went to bed. At 5AM the fire dept. was beating on my door and hosing my deck down. The heat from 10lbs of charcoal had been directed down enough to start the wood on fire. I was lucky that the paperboy spotted it. I still think it was a good idea, except for the burning deck part.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
weirdbeard
Ifish Nate

I have a lil chef smoker still use the origial box for insilation I cut my salmon to serveing size pieces ( one inch by 4inch ) and freeeze it till im ready to smoke. 45 pieces 15 to a rack fills my smoker. thaw the fish out and use a dry brime one and a half cups brown sugar two thirds cup white sugar an a third cup table salt. roll each piece in the dry mixture place in a large bowl put in in frig 12 to 24 hours, it will make its own liquid mixture stir it every couple hours if you remeber too. rince lightely with water and pat dry with paper towel then place on racks and let it dry for an hour. In the smoker i change the chips every 45 minutes 3 pans of alder chips Actual smokng time is allways different 70* and hotter 6 hrs ... 45* cold wet raining 10 hours...just keeping checking and tasting. never had a bad batch or complants from those i have shared it with.....
Old 08-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
iampapajack
Steelhead

Just finished a nice chrome 20 pound salmon on my little chief 2 days ago. BTW thats about max amount for the little guy. Anyway, store bought wet brine adding extra brown sugar, garlic, and black pepper. 24 hour soak, pat dry 6 hours on smoker, 4 pans combo alder and cherry. Removed and put on cookie sheet, glazed (heavy) with honey. Put in oven to finish off, 350* about 1/2 hour (just until edges of fish start to turn black) Don't have anyone else in the house until you've had your fill. Better than Sees Candy. Think I'll open a Barley Pop and have some right now and watch the Olympics...Jack
Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 AM   #10
Boster
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasbasser View Post
I have a Little Cheif smoker and I am wondering about the smoking time. Does anyone out there use one of these and if so, how long do you leave salmon on? I don't like dry fish. I don't have the box it came in so just using it as is. Thanks in advance for advise. Bill
I HAVE USED MANY DIFFERENT RECIPES AND FIND THAT THE FIRST ONE THAT COMES WITH THE BOOKLET IS VERY GOOD AND JUST ADD SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE SPICES.
HOWEVER I JUST USED THIS RECIPE FOR THE LAST OF MY SPRINGERS I CUP KOSHER SALT I CUP BROWN SUGAR I CUP SOY 2 TBSP WORCHESTER SAUCE 1 TSP OF GARLIC SALT,,ONION SALT,PEPPER,A CUP OF WHITE WINE, 2 TSP JOHNNYS SEASONING 1 QT OF WATER VERY IMPORTANT TO SOAK FILLETS IN REFRIG AT LEAST 6 HOURS RINSE OFF AND DRY WITH PAPER TOWELS AND LET STAND ON A RACK FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS UNTIL THEY GLAZE OVER MANY PEOPLE MAKE THIS MISTAKE AND DO NO LET IT SIT OUT OF THE BRINE LONG ENOUGH . USE AT LEAST 2 PANS OF CHIPS ALTER IS MY FAVORITE APPLE IS GOOD ALSO. OUTSIDE TEMP AND WIND CHANGES COOKING TIMES SO YOU HAVE TO CHECK AND SAMPLE THRU OUT CRACKED PEPPER IS GREAT TO SPRINKLE ON WHEN YOU FIRST PULL IT OUT OF THE SMOKER. USUALLY AT LEAST 6 HOURS AND AS MUCH AS 10. SOME OF MY FRIENDS SPEED UP COOKING TIME BY PUTTING THE FILLETS IN A HOT 180 OVEN FOR 25 MINS BEFORE PUTTING IN SMOKER
GOOD LUCK,
BOSTER
Boster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #11
crobarr
Tuna!

.smokehouseproducts.com/recipes.cfm

put www in front of that. download the book your missing.
crobarr is offline   Reply With Quote