Best Carb for 350 chevy - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 06-12-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
flyingd
Steelhead

Default Best Carb for 350 chevy

Just wondering what peoples opinion is about the best carb for a 350 Chevy in a 23' IMP. It is not high performance that I am looking for, just dependability and of course the best economy for fuel. ( yeah right, 23' boat and economy)

Thanks

flyingd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
fishkisser
King Salmon

Cool Re: Best Carb for 350 chevy

Rochester Quadrajets are the best. It's a spread bore carburetor, and everything else about them is top-notch with a few minor mods. Holleys are OK, but don't make the mistake of thinking a double pumper is better, One good backfire with them and your replacing jets or the power valve . Vacuum secondaries are more than adequate when working right. Edelbrocks are crap, especially if you're talking one of those AFB clones but are user friendly. I don't think a 2 barrel carb will give you the poop you need for your boat . Go with 600 - 650 cfm ...
Old 06-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
ReelAttitude
Steelhead

Default Re: Best Carb for 350 chevy

I replaced my quadrajunk with a Holley 2 bbl on my 23 ft cuddy cabin, plenty of scoot but economical

way easier to clean/rebuild or dial in with new jets than the quadrajets
not that your looking for performance , but quadrajets are not the choice there either

ReelAttitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
Gundog

A properly sized Quadrajet is a great carburetor. They are a spread bore type carb the primaries of a quad are more economical than running a 2 barrel carb but you have to keep your foot out of it if you want economy. Once you activate the secondaries you will be dumping some major fuel down the intake. Just turn one upside down and look at the size of the secondary ports. The primary jets on the quad are generally smaller than the jets of a 2 barrel carb thus giving better economy as long as you stay off the throttle.

The problem with the Quadrajet is most guys are not good at repairing them, they are a lot more complicated than a Holley or Carter. A lot of Quadrajets have the problem of the throttle shaft being worn out which makes them impossible to adjust and get to idle properly. They get the nickname of Quadrajunk from being worn out and improperly rebuilt by unqualified mechanics.

You will pay big bucks for a new Quadrajet but IMHO you can't buy a better carb. If it were me I would spend just a little more and go to fuel injection which is far superior to any carb.
Mike

Last edited by Gundog; 06-12-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: aadded more info
Gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
chucks electric
Steelhead

the best carb is a quadrajet, carb rebuilders and hacks are responsible for bad performance. there are very specific adjustments that have to be made and they will work flawlesly.
a bad ignition system will make a good carb look bad. if you suspect a carb problem check your ignition system first.
chucks electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
AlseaAssassin
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks electric View Post
the best carb is a quadrajet, carb rebuilders and hacks are responsible for bad performance. there are very specific adjustments that have to be made and they will work flawlesly.
a bad ignition system will make a good carb look bad. if you suspect a carb problem check your ignition system first.
When you say bad ignition system to what are you referring too? Worn out points? Bad cap/rotor? I'm having some difficulty starting my motor once it's warm and have been for some time. Tried a bunch of stuff and was pretty much set that it was the carb.
AlseaAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
fishkisser
King Salmon

Cool Re: Best Carb for 350 chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlseaAssassin View Post
When you say bad ignition system to what are you referring too? Worn out points? Bad cap/rotor? I'm having some difficulty starting my motor once it's warm and have been for some time. Tried a bunch of stuff and was pretty much set that it was the carb.
Cap , rotor , plug wires , plugs , coil , breaker points (if so equipped) and timing will all affect an engines ability to start while hot ...
don't forget to check the wiring connections for corrosion and bad contacts also ...
Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
Tip-Sea
Chromer

600 Edelbrock. Holleys are ok as long as you don't run to rough of water.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
MattPark
Sturgeon

I would never run an Edelbrock on anything. A quadrajet is the way to go.