Cost of Living....Oregon Vs. Washington - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Deandog
Coho

Default Cost of Living....Oregon Vs. Washington

I'm contemplating relocating my homestead. I currently live in the Woodinville, WA area and I'm looking at 2 options. Moving North to the Arlington/Mount Vernon area......or really going big and moving South the the Greater Portland area. Any thoughs inputs on overall cost of living to include:

Property tax
sales tax
income tax
vehicle registration
etc.......

Any websites you all know of that calculate or show graphically the difference?

Deandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

Default Re: Cost of Living....Oregon Vs. Washington

When I moved the other way, from Portland to Seattle, some years back, it turned out to be about a wash, other than the obvious housing cost differences. Oregon's income tax was about equaled by the sales tax + license fees.

Salaries in Seattle were a fair bit higher, but so were home prices. That situation seems to have equalized somewhat as far as home prices go, I don't know about salaries.

It was interesting to me to find that my property taxes in Washington turned out to be about the same on my house up here as they were on my house in Portland, despite the house up here costing a good 30% more.

My perception is that Washington schools are on a sounding footing, funding-wise, due to some of the initiatives that have passed in Oregon.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Pink Salmon
Tuna!

I curenttly live in mcminnville, i moved from Marysville/Everrett area at the end of last october. Oregon is less crowded and more affordable to live in. But I'm sure you can find something not to bad in Arlington/Mount Vernon area for affordabilaty. It is a very nice area up there.
Pink Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Danno
Ifish Nate

One thing that can be easily missed in the calculation is that property taxes are deductable so I'd rather have more property tax than less with the sales tax adder. I don't know how the two balance out between the two states though.

Also, Oregon only allows a 3,000 deduction off of Schedule A tax deductions if I remember correctly. I don't know what WA does.

The worst thing is moving to CA where everything is taxed but everything, except sales tax, is deductable. You really have to look close when comparing.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
Fish Killer
Chromer

The Oregon income tax compared to the Washington sales tax depends on how much money you and your wife make. If your household income is over $100,000 and you do not buy new toys every year, you are financially better off living and working in Washington.

This holds true when comparing Portland area to Clark County. I do not know the sales tax rate in other parts of Washington.
Fish Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
lost_sailor
King Salmon

Oregon is definitely way more expensive, and crime-ridden, and just generally unpleasant.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:53 AM   #7
motorhead64
Fry

Location: Just moved to the Shelton Washington area! Lived in Vancouver and fished all over the SW Wash area!

I just moved up to the Shelton area after living in Vancouver for the past 16 years and i worked in Portland. I have to say that even though i dont miss driving across the 205 bridge everyday...... I do miss having a decient job! I cant seem to even buy or steal a job for that matter! Dont get me wrong! I do love the scenery here .......beautiful area..........but unless your self employed or retired........ im not sure how people do it around here? I grew up in the Tacoma, Puyallup, Kent, Auburn, area from 1972 until 1992 when i moved down to Vancouver then. Clark county has grown triple fold since then ..... and i have to say i guess im missing it pretty bad now that summer is here and all my time was spent fishing for salmon, steelhead, kokanee, camping and fly fishing! As far as houses go.... I have to agree with most of the responses already posted. The one thing i had to laugh about was that here in Shelton..... They dont have emisions here????? I said are you kidding me? DMV said "thats what you get for living in the sticks" !!! Funny to me for some reason! Im thinking about moving back if things permit and jobs too for that matter. The grass isnt always greener as my mom used to say! Got to settle down and stay where ever i go now..........getting too old to keep moving all my stuff ! LOL! and you really know who your friends are when you have to move!!! Best of luck where ever you end up living! Nothing like the good old Northwest!!!! Happy fishing and good luck!!
motorhead64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
bkedman
Ifish Nate

We moved from Portland to Vancouver about 2 1/2 years ago. I feel like I got about 20% more house out of Vancouver then Portland. Probably got about the same size house but in a much nicer neighborhood with a good size lot.

We have two kids in elementry school and we have been very impressed with Evergreen school district.

Licensing fees seem reasonable.

I don't ever see us moving back to Or.

Be sure to check with a realator. They will be the ones with the fact sheets.

Good luck in your decision.
bkedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
wayout
Sturgeon

After living in Portland suburbs for many years I moved to Richland, WA and lived there for about 10 years. I enjoyed not paying state income tax. Then I moved back to the Portland region, but there was no question about ever going back to the high income taxes in Oregon. So the last 8 years I've lived and worked in Vancouver, WA. That's the smart move IMHO.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
Bluto
Chromer

Mt. Vernon is a beautiful area...

If you do go south, I'd definately consider staying in WA (Clark County). Most of the same benefits as living in Portland but just on the other side of the river.

- Housing: more bang for the buck in Clark Co., especially if you want some land and don't mind being 30min from downtown Portland.
- Property taxes: definately lower in Clark Co.
- Income taxes: None in WA, but if you work in Oregon, then they will get your income tax regardless of where you live (Clark County was the 5th largest tax paying county to the state of Oregon... but you can't vote on how the dollars are spent).
- Sales Tax: yes, WA has it... but just go across the river for the big-ticket items or other things that you don't need "right now".
- Vehicle registration: Nominal difference between the two states. OR is a two year tab, but other than that... not enough to play a factor.
Schools - some excellent schools and head-start programs in Clark County.

Cost of Living Comparison from CNNMoney for living in Portland (verses Vancouver):
Groceries will cost:24.072%moreHousing will cost:33.946%moreUtilities will cost:29.608%moreTransportation will cost:3.605%moreHealthcare will cost:0.387%more

Anyway... I love Portland too , just like having a bit more in my pocket.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #11
Deandog
Coho

Thanks for all the information guys. Good point about moving south but staying in Vancouver. Also...what about rivers? Isn't there many many more down there? I have the Nooksak, Skagit, Sky/Sno up here....how many smaller rivers are there in comparison to up here?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
Bluto
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deandog View Post
Thanks for all the information guys. Good point about moving south but staying in Vancouver. Also...what about rivers? Isn't there many many more down there? I have the Nooksak, Skagit, Sky/Sno up here....how many smaller rivers are there in comparison to up here?
A few Rivers you may have heard about in SW WA...
The big Columbia, Cowlitz, Kalama, Lewis, Elechoman, White Salmon, Wind, etc...

Don't forgot a few N OR rivers: Willamette, Clackamas, Sandy, Dechutes, etc... and even more options just a bit south.

Not to mention that Portland/Vancouver is only 1.5hs to either coast and all the great rivers and bays for fishing & crabbing.

I am truly going to mis this area of the country...

Last edited by Bluto; 05-07-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
RogueFishr
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Not to mention that Portland/Vancouver is only 1.5hs to either coast..
uh.. I know I am from Southern Oregon and all, but, how many coasts you guys got up there????

RF
RogueFishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
Bluto
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueFishr View Post
uh.. I know I am from Southern Oregon and all, but, how many coasts you guys got up there????

RF
Was trying to say either the OR or WA coast. But then again... I am moving from VanTucky to Tennessee... so I'm fixin' to start confusing my freinds by talking real slow with unfamiliar pronunciations and words you wont find in the dictionary ('yall).
Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
Deandog
Coho

hehehe...yeah I was wondering what the other coast was too. Also, I had no idea there was THAT many rivers down there. I've heard of the big ones but had no idea there was that many others. Thanks for the info.