Where To Find E0 (ethanol free fuel) - Page 2 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #61
bathtub bob
Steelhead

Default Re: Where To Find E0 (ethanol free fuel)

I-5 Chehalis, Pe Ell exit turn left into town two blocks left at light. Cenex farm store. ,

Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #62
bugs84
Chromer

WAY to much is made on this issue! It comes up at least 5 or 6 times a year on this forum. Alcohol is here to stay and that's all there is to it. Just use it and relax. If your worried about it add a small amount more of 2 cycle oil to the mix. It's that simple.
bugs84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #63
Bisko
Steelhead

Question Re: Where To Find E0 (ethanol free fuel)

Many are missing the point. Will your boat run at all when you get on the water for the first time this year and hit the throttle and the gas tank has 3 inches of water and dead gas in it? No water separator I know of will keep up with that and not even fuel injected motors will pass that mixture.

If you have stored your boat this winter without a full tank and even if you have a full tank I would treat it and fill the thank now instead of being towed in. Be careful where you launch the first time and make sure your kicker has a full tank of gas.

Take it from someone who has spent their first day out of the season dead in the water from ethanol gas separation in the tank.
Bisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #64
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

My boat is on the wagon - no more booze for my boat. Had a horrible time getting the injectors cleaned cause of the crappy gas. Trying to find a land based place to fill the tank, but all the stations I've talked to so far just look at me funny. Talk to any boat mechanic, only thing keeping customers coming through the door is booze problems in the motor or fuel storage or delivery.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #65
MattPark
Sturgeon

Wow, a thread from a year and a half ago.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #66
bird dog bob
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs84 View Post
WAY to much is made on this issue! It comes up at least 5 or 6 times a year on this forum. Alcohol is here to stay and that's all there is to it. Just use it and relax. If your worried about it add a small amount more of 2 cycle oil to the mix. It's that simple.
what good will that do ?? it wont help with the water seperation problem i dont think you see what the problem is here ?
bird dog bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #67
freespool
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisko View Post
Many are missing the point. Will your boat run at all when you get on the water for the first time this year and hit the throttle and the gas tank has 3 inches of water and dead gas in it? No water separator I know of will keep up with that and not even fuel injected motors will pass that mixture.

If you have stored your boat this winter without a full tank and even if you have a full tank I would treat it and fill the thank now instead of being towed in. Be careful where you launch the first time and make sure your kicker has a full tank of gas.

Take it from someone who has spent their first day out of the season dead in the water from ethanol gas separation in the tank.

My treated fuel went bad last winter and it ended up costing me $1500 to rebuild two cabs on my big motor and my kicker carb.
My tank is empty, I can deal with any water issues.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #68
Flatfish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisko View Post

The only people I hear that are having problems with ethanol are the folks that only fish a few weeks a year. Like a person starts on springers. Then a few days on summer steelies at the Oak Tree, or Up River Brites.

The above scenario is problematic if someone only anchors, and does not troll. Ya gotta burn that old fuel no matter how bitter cold it is. Putting a kicker in reverse while on anchor does not constitute trolling.

If ya just tough out the winter months chasing steelies or bottom feeders, and kep burning that fuel up before it has a chance to cause a guy problems, you will be fine.

The couple tanks a year guys are the ones giving ethanol a bad name.....and they are the problem!
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions

Last edited by Flatfish; 01-14-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #69
bensboulton
Fry

here is a link I found for state by state search of ethanol free gas. http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OR. It doesn't have all of them listed But it may be A good starting piont.
bensboulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #70
FanOFishin
Steelhead

The Wilcox-Flegel Pacific Pride cardlock station on Industrial Way in Longview has one pump with ethanol free gas. You need a Pacific Pride account/card or can pay cash during their M-F business hours as I understand it. It's where I buy gas for my boat as I refuse to use any gas with ethanol as long as I have the option to buy ethanol free gas. The octane of the gas at this pump is 87 so I have to add octane booster to the fuel as my engine says to use a minimum octane rating of 89.
FanOFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #71
FanOFishin
Steelhead

I have to disagree with Flatfish based on the OPB story that ran a couple of weeks ago and had a guy who fishes alot out of Hammond showing what happened to his twin Yamaha 150's after burning ethanol gas. If I have the choice I'm buying and burning straight gas - I'd rather eat the corn than put it in my fuel tank.
FanOFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #72
yep
Steelhead

Found some at $8.00 a gallon.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:52 AM   #73
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Got tired of asking at each local station so I called Carson Oil. They do not distribute any E0 to any station in the Portland Metro area. She said we need to band together - time to get the news stations involved.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:58 AM   #74
AnnaDraMoss
Sturgeon

Staff Jennings, West end Sellwood Bridge.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #75
2Lancet
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduyck View Post
Now that sb 1079 has passed
We need to find locations where the fuel will be sold for our boats off road vehicles and small tools and airplanes.

Here is a start

http://iflyit.net/index.php?board=8.0

any other places please list them
There is no place to buy ethanol-free fuel on the Willamette between Oregon City and the Multnomah Channel. Sportcraft moved off the water to Milwaukee Blvd. and Staff Jennings by the Sellwood bridge is history. Stevens Marine has looked at the property and is talking with the Staff Jenning owners, but that's no guarantee that Stevens will keep the fuel dock open if they do buy the property. Waverly moorage only sells to Waverly slip owners, though they might start selling to the public if there is a perceived demand and it doesn't create tax issues for them. I talked with the owner of the Oregon City moorage located next to where Sportcraft used to be, and he didn't know that Staff Jennings had gone under. He seemed interested in putting in a fuel pump since they still have the storage tank there. We need to lobby some of these folks, I guess. Riverplace Marina ought to have a fuel dock and I'm rather surprised they don't.
2Lancet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #76
Chrome Bumper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
The only people I hear that are having problems with ethanol are the folks that only fish a few weeks a year. Like a person starts on springers. Then a few days on summer steelies at the Oak Tree, or Up River Brites.

The above scenario is problematic if someone only anchors, and does not troll. Ya gotta burn that old fuel no matter how bitter cold it is. Putting a kicker in reverse while on anchor does not constitute trolling.

If ya just tough out the winter months chasing steelies or bottom feeders, and kep burning that fuel up before it has a chance to cause a guy problems, you will be fine.

The couple tanks a year guys are the ones giving ethanol a bad name.....and they are the problem!
Hmm, I use about 30 tanks a year and my Hondas have issues.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #77
Cookieman
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Bumper View Post
Hmm, I use about 30 tanks a year and my Hondas have issues.
I just had my new 2008 9.9 Yamy in for service @ Guy's Electronics and because of Ethanol I will have to replace a $140.00 secondary pump. I use the boat at least once a week since I bought it in July 2008 !
Guy said that I could beat this from happining again if I pour some Stabil in the tank everytime I fill it.
Cookieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #78
fortywinks
Chromer

For the Salem Area

The Lincoln Store north of West Salem on Wallace Rd. (OR221) says they offer ethonal free fuel at their pumps--Premium only @ well over $3 gal. I believe they are closed on Sundays. Single island and no dedicated atendants so service may take a little time.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #79
TeamYeeha
Chromer

Quote:
Linn oil in Banks as will linn oil in tillamook will sell the ethanol free gas after they get it squared away.
I talked to the head office in Tillamook and they use it supply their marinas on the coast
He told me they are going to stock 87 octane premium in portland to mix with ethanol to get it up to 97 octane and sell it without ethanol for off road use.

banks, linn oil..
Not in Banks yet!
TeamYeeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #80
MPT
Tuna!

Quote:
Now that sb 1079 has passed
We need to find locations where the fuel will be sold for our boats off road vehicles and small tools and airplanes.

Here is a start

http://iflyit.net/index.php?board=8.0

any other places please list them
Port of Camas/Washougal dock has non-ethanol for $3.30 a gallon.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #81
Brookiebuster
Steelhead

If you go to the Oregon marine boards websight at the bottom of the home page is a heading that reads click hear for more info on e10.click and scroll down a little and there is a sight that has all the places in Oregon that sells nonethonal gas listed by counties. Just found it this morning.
Brookiebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #82
ccw
Sturgeon

The idea of this thread may be a year and a half old, but the problems created by ethanol in boats, lawn mowers and weedeaters are not and worth revisiting. I keep my boat moored year round and use it year round, more than anyone else I know in the marina. It's Ford 460 V-8 doesn't like ethanol and I add Stabil frequently (not cheap). I swap out the water/fuel filter about 4 times per year. With that engine and its jet pump, I get around 2 miles per gallon or 8-9 gallons per hour consumption. Gas does not get old in my boat, yet it still sputters or hesitates at times. With a 112 gallon tank, I don't fill it because I don't want to carry all that extra weight around, so the tank is usually about 1/4 to 1/2 full, and being aluminum, no doubt there is condensation forming in the tank but some of that water is from ethanol. I don't think the gas at the marina is ethanol free, so next time I have it on the trailer, I'm heading to Longview for some of that gas.

I noticed a marked improvement in my Stihl chainsaw and weedeater, & John Deere rider mower once I switched to only burning premium in them. My wife's Altima is about the only engine we have that doesn't seem to mind the cheapest regular with ethanol. CW
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #83
slabhunter
Sturgeon

Elochoman Marina at Cathlamet, has the E-0 at the fuel dock.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #84
fishN-4-Alimit
Coho

For anyone driving down I5 you can stop at the gas station on the Northbound side of the freeway at Coburg just before you get to Eugene and they have the Ethenol Free stuff.
I filled up there last year on the way to Diamond Lake and I suspect I will again this year.
I seem to remember is ran about a $1/gallon more than the regular gas??
fishN-4-Alimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #85
stickone
Cutthroat

Thanks for all the good info; but just a note for the serious! Stabil has alcahol in it which adds to the water in fuel problem. My best performance has come by using the factory fuel stabilizer, fuel dryer, and engine cleaner in each tank. I have both 2 stroke and 4 stroke motors.
I really notice it with my 4 stroke...
stickone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #86
JRM
Cutthroat

Shorty’s corner in Sandy, OR now pumps MTBE and ethonal free 92 octane (its about 90 octane as my XR250R with its radial head pings at low rpm if its below 92) but its the best fuel in todays world.

Last edited by JRM; 07-18-2011 at 07:58 AM.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #87
DAB
King Salmon

Out here in Sandy OR. Shorty's Corner has non ethanol fuel now. A couple mile east of town.
DAB
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #88
Pecos
Coho

Thumbs up Re: Where To Find E0 (ethanol free fuel)

Pine Grove Pit Stop, Hwy 35, 5 +- miles south of Hood River
Pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #89
bassin
Ifish Nate

Vancouver Oil. just off I -5 at 136th

Last edited by bassin; 07-18-2011 at 10:31 AM.
bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #90
Sturgeonslayer69
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw View Post
The idea of this thread may be a year and a half old, but the problems created by ethanol in boats, lawn mowers and weedeaters are not and worth revisiting. I keep my boat moored year round and use it year round, more than anyone else I know in the marina. It's Ford 460 V-8 doesn't like ethanol and I add Stabil frequently (not cheap). I swap out the water/fuel filter about 4 times per year. With that engine and its jet pump, I get around 2 miles per gallon or 8-9 gallons per hour consumption. Gas does not get old in my boat, yet it still sputters or hesitates at times. With a 112 gallon tank, I don't fill it because I don't want to carry all that extra weight around, so the tank is usually about 1/4 to 1/2 full, and being aluminum, no doubt there is condensation forming in the tank but some of that water is from ethanol. I don't think the gas at the marina is ethanol free, so next time I have it on the trailer, I'm heading to Longview for some of that gas.

I noticed a marked improvement in my Stihl chainsaw and weedeater, & John Deere rider mower once I switched to only burning premium in them. My wife's Altima is about the only engine we have that doesn't seem to mind the cheapest regular with ethanol. CW
All marinias in oregon that sell fuel is non ethanol ( Mandated by the Oregon Marine board), Good video on PBS about ethanol in boats, and everything ive read is not keeping the tank full is the worst thing one can do about moisture problems in the fuel. since i started keeping my tank full in my Northriver ive ha 0 problems.
Sturgeonslayer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #91
ccw
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgeonslayer69 View Post
All marinias in oregon that sell fuel is non ethanol ( Mandated by the Oregon Marine board), Good video on PBS about ethanol in boats, and everything ive read is not keeping the tank full is the worst thing one can do about moisture problems in the fuel. since i started keeping my tank full in my Northriver ive ha 0 problems.

Our marina in Kalama sells Zero Ethanol gas now and has for a few months (Wilcox and Flegel, suppliers). My engine has been running well and so I'm still not going to tote around 700 lbs. of extra fuel around with me on my typically short trips. C.W.

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #92
JRM
Cutthroat

Angry Re: Where To Find E0 (ethanol free fuel)

Onto the next battle, anyone know where to find Bio free Diesel or D-0? Now that all pumps in oregon must pump a 10% biodiesel blend that harms the fuel lines and injection pump seals on older diesels? Not to metion the 2008-2010 duramax cannot handle bio of any % since it fires the injectors during the exahust stroke- the bio washes off the engine oil from the cylinders and causes top compression ring wear- it also gets into the engine oil and fouls the cat- need proof? watch one of those tri-met vans with the powerstroke that have been fed B-20 for a few years now, you will see a huge cloud of blue smoke when they take off from a light due to upper pistion ring wear!
sigh

Last edited by JRM; 07-22-2011 at 08:22 PM.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #93
Azeal
Tuna!

You have a good bit of bad info going on there...

The requirement in Oregon is 5% biodiesel, not 10%. Biodiesel is not as corrosive as ethanol in regards to hoses and gaskets, but it does tend to break down deposits in your fuel tank/fuel lines and send it to your fuel filter (or injector pump). Biodiesel actually has higher lubricity than dinosaur diesel, so that blue smoke you are seeing is likely not from piston wear due to fuel.

I don't know Duramax engines, but Ford's new 6.7 diesel is warrantied for use with 20% biodiesel. I've put 100,000+ miles on my two diesels on B5 or B20 fuel, no fuel related issues for me beyond one plugged up fuel filter. One of them is a 2006 VW Jetta with a lot of emissions stuff on it. VW only warranties their engines for B5, but the reason they give for that is the lack of quality control on home-brewed biodiesel around the country, not the basic properties of the fuel.

It does cause other problems. Gunk in the fuel line is one. If it sits, it can go bad more quickly than standard diesel, and fuel filters need to be replaced more frequently. It is also worse than dinosaur diesel at gelling in cold weather, which is why B20 is generally the highest percentage offered. In the winter months I always treat my fuel for my vehicles w/ PowerService to deal with the gelling problem.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #94
baitslinger
Chromer

Probably already posted but Fred's Marina has some non E fuel in Linton (near Sauvie island). I had the pleasure of watching a guy fill his boat for over $1K and that was 1/2 a tank..........ouch!!!!!

The non E cured my problems on the weed eater and dirt bike so thanks Fred's!
baitslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #95
Soulakala
Tuna!

If your in Chinook for Buoy 10, non-ethanol is at both Chinook Country store at $3.99 per gallon or the marina at $4.13 per gallon. I did not check the octane rating however. I fuel my boat there and have noticed any difference. I still continue to use a fuel additive at every fill up.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #96
No Bail
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin View Post
Vancouver Oil. just off I -5 at 136th

Is this a card lock only station?
No Bail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #97
bassin
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Bail View Post
Is this a card lock only station?
They have a counter card to be used during business hours. After that you need a account Card.
bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #98
KChookem
Tuna!

West Salem on Hwy 22 has reopened a small station that is now advertising 92 oct, and the price was $4.58/gallon. I do not know their open hours, or who supplies their fuel, and I've not purchased products there.

The "Quality Gas" station is easy to miss... it located on the north side of Hwy 22 at Stoneway Dr NW, which is approx 1.5 miles west of the Bridge across the Willamette.

The station could be a bit confined for a long PU and boat, but both islands have E0 fuel. When exiting the station to go east into Salem, be very careful because traffic can be continuous, heavy, and faster than the 50 mph posted (personally, I would avoid trying to exit east with a trailer except during off hours). Exiting to go west toward the Coast would be much easier.