Line capacity-Penn 113h - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
DustyRod
Steelhead

Default Line capacity-Penn 113h

Just got a couple of penn 113h special senators to use as some all purpose reels (tuna, halibut, over size sturgeon) looking to fill them with 65# braid but didn't want to put on 700+ yrds to fill em up. Anyone ever put a combo of dacron plus braid on this reel or similar. How many yards of each? Assuming I would probably want 350-400 yrds of braid for the Hali? Specs say it holds 475/30(mono). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Josh

DustyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
fyshndad
King Salmon

Default Re: Line capacity-Penn 113h

Go to fishermans and tell them you want 400 yards of 65 with dacron backing tell them you want enough backing so that the reel if full after adding the 400 yards

that is what I do

Once they had to unspool all the braid and put more backing on the reel but I think they do enough of this that they get it pertty close the 1st time now

WILL FISH FOR GAS

Sleep is for people that don't know how to fish!
Making "MEMORIES" one day at a time

I am retired "Who wants to go fishing??"
fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
fishbait

If I remember right last one I did had 120 of heavy dacron backing and then 400 yds of 65 tuff and there was still about 1/4 inch or so available on the spool. Could have used a little more backing, but good enough.

Member # 287

Official IFish Mortgage Broker
Direct line 971.250.4510
http://40009.stearnshomeloans.com/st...e.php?id=13040

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but rather by how many times something takes your breath away.

Lifetime member of NW Steelheaders
Proud Member CCA
fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Paddler
Ifish Nate

Since you have two of them, just put the 400 yards of braid on first, then fill it with dacron. Then wind this on to the second reel. Then you'll know how much dacron to put on the first reel so it's full when the braid is put on top.
Paddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
Since you have two of them, just put the 400 yards of braid on first, then fill it with dacron. Then wind this on to the second reel. Then you'll know how much dacron to put on the first reel so it's full when the braid is put on top.
Paddler, nice solution, it indicates good problem solving and thinking!

A suggestion: if you are also going to use it for tuna, leave enough space for some mono (from 20 yds to 200 yds) on top of the braid.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
DustyRod
Steelhead

Thanks I apprciate it! I'm down to one reel as the other was given to a family member, so I can't re-spool off of each other, sooo....I will take it to fishermans and use the numbers fishbait put out there as a good estimate. (a 1/4 inch should leave me room to add some mono if I'm ever able to get out after tuna.

Josh
DustyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
Pilar
Mr. Carkington

You have more than one reel the same so use Paddler's idea. I have the 113h wide special. 50 yards of 80# dacron and 500 yards of 80# tuff fill the reel. The first time I filled one I decided on 500 yards of tuffline and then filled the rest of the way to full with dacron. Wind this on the other identical reel and fill the first one again in the right order. Use tape and a sharpie and make a label to go in one end plate or under the reel seat so you'll know what you put on it. 500 yards I figured was enough to bust off one time on deep halibut and still be fishing without relining the reel.

Soon you'll have two of all your favorite reels. LOL
Old 03-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
Chum Bucket
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRod View Post
Just got a couple of penn 113h special senators to use as some all purpose reels (tuna, halibut, over size sturgeon) looking to fill them with 65# braid but didn't want to put on 700+ yrds to fill em up. Anyone ever put a combo of dacron plus braid on this reel or similar. How many yards of each? Assuming I would probably want 350-400 yrds of braid for the Hali? Specs say it holds 475/30(mono). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Josh
I have 2 of these with Electramate reels for halis. I think they have 700 yard 65# Power Pro on each. More than plenty for everything. If I end up with some fray, I just cut and I'm good to go again. Nice part about the superlines is it really never goes bad. I know the cost is high, but look at the long term overall cost. The dacron backing may not be the best solution, although significantly cheaper, if you continually have to replace the braid topshot. If you spool it up completely and forget the Dacron, when you lose 100-200 yards, you're still gonna be able to fish with that reel without respooling.