heat lamps for dogs? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 03-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
cubsfan
Ifish Nate

Default heat lamps for dogs?

Does anybody know if the lower wattage red heat lamps are a good choice for my dogs? They sleep in the garage (which is finished) but I like to give them that extra heat in the winter. Are red bulbs ok for their eyes. Thanks for any help.

cubsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
NeverGuess
Chromer

Default Re: heat lamps for dogs?

They make heated mats hold just above ambient, then activate when the dog lays on them. They are temp controlled around a dogs nominal body temp, and are built chewproof, dirt proof etc. They only use 10-15 watts for the big one, which is much more economical than a heat lamp. They run $75-100.

I have 2 for our outdoor cats, and a buddy of mine has one for his dog. They work great.

I'm a hunter, so I hunt...no matter what
NeverGuess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

As my dog got older, I put a heat lamp in her house and turn it on after a day of hunting to keep her warm and help dry her out. Seems to do the trick.
Quaka Wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
huntercgr
Super Moderator

I would always worry about an accidental bulb breakage where the glass could injure the dog. I like the warming mat. And if you had a plastic barrel kennel kit, you wouldn't need anything.
huntercgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
ehunter
King Salmon

We use the heat pads they work well. They are supposed to be safe gaurded against chewing as well and we have had no problems we have 2 one in each kennel. We even have the light weight heat pads in the house for their beds.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

I have used a 150 watt heatlamp for my lab and my Jack Russell every winter for the past four years with no problems. I hang it about 25 to 35 inches above them, depending on the weather and just turn it off every morning. The 300 watts are too warm and too spendy plus they burn out quickly- the 150's last a long time. I have seen lot's of the bulbs get broken by sheep and goats but have never seen it cause any major problems so far.
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
jnicholson
Ifish Nate

I would say that if you are concerned about sleeping under it then it's not a good choice for your dog.

Try the heat mats.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
Chromaflage
King Salmon

The heat lamp won't hurt the dog. I've used one for years in our garage the same way. 150 Watt red lamp elevated about 3 feet above their sleeping area. I'd be more concerned about electrocution from a heat mat from a dog tearing it up than I would be about any effects from a heat lamp. Either is fine.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
reeldick
Tuna!

I was always told that all the dog needs is an insulated dog house and a flap over the door to keep the wind out. My lab lived that way until she got to be an old house dog who stayed inside. She lived to be sixteen so it couldn't have done too much damage. And I lived in Minnesota. I did need a stock heater for her water bucket.
reeldick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #10
fishboys
Sturgeon

If there not chewers then go to goodwill and pick up a cheap electric blanket and use it on low.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
Hawaiian Time
Tuna!

K-9 Kondo makes an insulated dog den. Having a heat lamp on for extended periods would make me worry about the fire potential. They love their dens or barrels setup and you may find it hard to get them out of it. I have 4 of the barrel Kondo's and in the winter with the dogs winter coat they seem to very happy. HT
Old 03-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #12
Elk Hunter
Steelhead

DO NOT USE A HEAT LAMP FOR HEAT FOR YOUR DOGS!!!! If I knew how to post pictures, I could show you what could happen to your house. I had one in my man's room in the garage. It was about 2 1/2 feet from the cement floor. Somewhere along the line it got knocked off by the dog and didn't break. Something caught fire and now all of my hunting and fishing gear (except the guns) sits in a big dumpster in front of my house. That is everything for bass, steelhead, sturgeon, salmon, turkey, elk and camping. It is an expensive way to keep the dogs warm. The fireman told me I should look into a heating mat for the dogs that warms to 100 degrees when they lay on it. Luckily the wife made it out ok as did the dogs. Insurance will cover all the costs but the hassle and living in a motel are not worth it.
Elk Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
tikkahunter
Steelhead

just get a good dog bed for him to lay on to get him off the concrete he is out of the wind and if he is insulated from the concrete he will be fine my dog sleeps out side and he is actually uncomfortable inside he likes to strech out on the ground i bought him a bed for his house and he pulled it out .
tikkahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
huntercgr
Super Moderator

HT, that's the one I was referring to. Just google k9 kondo. There's a hunting preserve out here and the kennels are miles from the house. They had about 24 dogs. Those dogs live in a K-9 Kondo year round. Now, as you know it does get a bit chilly in Eastern Or during the winter. That's all the protection from the weather they get. And most of the dogs are wirehairs.
huntercgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #15
cubsfan
Ifish Nate

Thanks all. I will look into all the other options too. Sorry to hear about the fire.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #16
nobrownline
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
DO NOT USE A HEAT LAMP FOR HEAT FOR YOUR DOGS!!!! If I knew how to post pictures, I could show you what could happen to your house. I had one in my man's room in the garage. It was about 2 1/2 feet from the cement floor. Somewhere along the line it got knocked off by the dog and didn't break. Something caught fire and now all of my hunting and fishing gear (except the guns) sits in a big dumpster in front of my house. That is everything for bass, steelhead, sturgeon, salmon, turkey, elk and camping. It is an expensive way to keep the dogs warm. The fireman told me I should look into a heating mat for the dogs that warms to 100 degrees when they lay on it. Luckily the wife made it out ok as did the dogs. Insurance will cover all the costs but the hassle and living in a motel are not worth it.
Yes I agree. The neighbors had a lamp fall down in the whelping box and burn the mother and pups bad. Dont use a light. I have an insulated dog house and in the winter both dogs get in there and its warmer that inside the my house
Old 03-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #17
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

Maybe I should have said heat lamps are OK, just make sure they are secure.
Quaka Wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #18
blackdog
Ifish Nate

If your garage is finished I don't think you really need to worry about additional heat anyway. I would just make sure they have something insulated to lay on so it's not just the concrete floor. My dogs sleep inside during the night but are outside every morning when I got to work and they don't have any troubles with the weather, even through the winter here in Central Oregon. Yes, they have k9 kondos and are also in a kennel sheltered from the wind and rain but I don't feel they need any additional warmth. In fact, anytime it gets above about 35 or 40, they seem to spend as much time out of the kondo as in it.
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:47 AM   #19
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
If your garage is finished I don't think you really need to worry about additional heat anyway.
Yeah I gotta say I agree and I wouldn't use a heat lamp or anything electrical indoors with dogs. I use my heatlamp only because my dogs sleep in a kennel outdoors and love to sleep outside of the doghouse, no matter what the temp. The dogs that I have known that got too cold while hunting were the ones that slept indoors and/or with extra heat. I wonder if they get so used to the warmth that they never develop a good coat??
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #20
iampapajack
Steelhead

My neighbor lost his garage 2 weeks ago to a heat lamp fire in his garage, yes to keep his dog warm. The rest of his house will now stink forever, Try something else. I use a thermostated heater set low. If your interested in the fire article check out The Dalles Chronicle....Jack
Old 03-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #21
cubsfan
Ifish Nate

Yeah, I would never leave the lamp on when we are gone. My dogs are outside all day too. They have a big cage that they sleep in with a thick bed. I leave the cage door open so they can come in and out of it. I also wouldn't want them trapped in a fire. My heat lamp is clipped to the top of their cage. I might just do away with it as my garage is insulated and finished. They can snuggle together if they get chilly. My little lab pointer mix looks like she shivers and it makes me feel bad. It is probably just a big act! Thanks!-Cubsfan
Old 03-21-2008, 06:37 AM   #22
MossyOarReelCreek
Tuna!

If you were insane like me You could always install electric radiant heat under the floor! ($220.00) Use a programmable thermosat ($145.00) Have the floor at a toasty 78 degrees in winter. But, then again I am certified in crazy

MORC

"Everything comes together on the river"
John Hustad
MossyOarReelCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #23
James in Idaho
Ifish Nate

How cold does it get? My 11 year old chessie sleeps outside from about April until early November, he's got an insulated doghouse. As a hunting dog, he needs the exposure to the cold to build a winter coat. He's crated in the basement in the real cold months at night, but he's outside every day. Heck even on the days that it doesn't get about 10', if it is sunny he'll be catching his zzzzzz curled up in the snow in the sun. Hardest part is keeping his water unfrozen.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #24
duckboy
King Salmon

Couple of old sleeping bags works great.

Oh,

Give em at least some time to figure out that being under the bags is better than being on top.

They'll work it out...

I don't like the idea of a light in an unattended area, since lights can be splattered with water when a damp dog shakes and the nthe bulb busts.

then you have a cold dog, and a dog with sharp busted glass all around it.

Get em nice and dry with a hair dryer before bedding down,

And then let em wallow in old sleeping bags and fluffy stuff in their dogloo.

but I wouldn't want a bright light above me in my bed.
duckboy is offline   Reply With Quote