ever install a trigger on a Mauser 98? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 03-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
PIR8 Hook
Ifish Nate

Default ever install a trigger on a Mauser 98?

I just recieved a Kimber of Oregon .22-250. I HATE the trigger pull. Lots of creep and hard pull poundage. I checked a few sales sites and saw Timmeny & Bold triggers for it. How hard is it to install one? This rifle has the traditional safety that flips up & down near the bolt handle. Should I try it without gunsmithing tools or take it to a gunsmith....evidentally it has an issue with feeding too. So it will have to see a smith before it does in any varmits here or baboons in Africa.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
baltz526
King Salmon

Default Re: ever install a trigger on a Mauser 98?

so it is a two stage trigger. before you buy a new one, check for clearances inside stock, could have a binding issue. some people like two stage triggers, with practice they can be very good if massaged a little (a gunsmith deal) feeding issue is another gunsmith deal.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
ORhunter
Steelhead

Takes less than a minute to install (once the metal is out of the wood) but longer to adjust. Like was mentioned...make sure everything fits. Go slow. Easy to take away wood, much tougher to put it back.
ORhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #4
PIR8 Hook
Ifish Nate

I found some more info on the gun in another forum last night...FIRST it's a 96 or a 96/38 standard Swede Mauser. It says "Carl Gustafs Gevar Stakori HK 408nnn". Evidentally Kimber of Oregon inspected & rebarrelled them.....

Thanks O&B

If I am paying attention you are saying take it to a gunsmith.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
ORhunter
Steelhead

I've got a '98 with the timmney trigger. Just push out a little pin and it falls right out. Clean, put back in in seconds. Adjusting is simple but takes more time. No smith needed......
Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
BlueWater
Chromer

Exclamation Re: ever install a trigger on a Mauser 98?

I am permanently crippled from a wrongly installed K98 trigger. I would STRONGLY recomend you have it inspected by a gunsmith before field use!
The issue that got me was with 5 rounds in the mag they put just enough upward pressure in the bolt to let the bolt slip past the shear catch on the undersid when the rifle was accidently droped. The safety was like that of a Rem 700 off the the side and the factory k98 saftey was removed. The rifle was build over 50 years ago and did not have an extra bolt stop pin like rifles today. It just stoped the trigger from moving when the safety was engaged.

Know what you are doing and know the other modifications made to the rifle and how they may effect the firearm. Not just for you but the next user or owner.

BlueWater
BlueWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
simpleguy
Steelhead

There is a great guy in Sandy who is a real Mauser guy, I know it's a ways......but he did a Timney adjustable in my Mauser aside from a new butt pad and some headspacing in my Eddystone.

Tom Novotny (503) 668-5061

Great reputation.
simpleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Grantspastor
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWater View Post
I am permanently crippled from a wrongly installed K98 trigger. I would STRONGLY recomend you have it inspected by a gunsmith before field use!
The issue that got me was with 5 rounds in the mag they put just enough upward pressure in the bolt to let the bolt slip past the shear catch on the undersid when the rifle was accidently droped. The safety was like that of a Rem 700 off the the side and the factory k98 saftey was removed. The rifle was build over 50 years ago and did not have an extra bolt stop pin like rifles today. It just stoped the trigger from moving when the safety was engaged.

Know what you are doing and know the other modifications made to the rifle and how they may effect the firearm. Not just for you but the next user or owner.

BlueWater

Bluewater! Nice to hear from you. I was just thinking about you, wondering how you're doing
Grantspastor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
scottishsetter
Ifish Nate

Call Timney and ask them about your Model and fitting. They are good people, you'll like them. They give excellent instructions for Rug. MKIIs.
Be sure to ask them about the situ. that BlueWater told of. Triggers are what they do!
scottishsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #10
ORhunter
Steelhead

Blue Water:

I think your problem was a sloppy bolt that didn't lock up properly and a magazine with excess capacity allowing an extra cartridge that shouldn't have been there. I'd have a hard time blaming this one on the trigger.