.300 WSM load data - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 02-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

Default .300 WSM load data

Anyone have some pet loads they would like to share for the .300 WSM? I got a Remington 700 CDL stainless fluted for Christmas and after shooting factory Federal 180 Accubonds to just 2" average, I'm ready to start reloading. I've got 150, 165 and 180 grain Barnes TSX and 180 gr. Nosler Accubonds to start. If you have any tried and true loads you'd like to share to get me started, it would be greatly appreciated. I've loaded thousands and thousands of rifle loads, so you can trust I'll use extreme care and build up to any max. loads.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
Santiam338
Ifish Nate

Default Re: .300 WSM load data

I just started working with mine...I have a 336-06 for the bigger bullets so this 300 WSM is going to be strictly a 150 gr gun....It has a 22 inch barrel so I am sticking with medium powders...

61 grains of reloader 15 with 150 accubonds showed a lot of promise...Now to tinker with that a little...62 grains started to show some pressure..

So far thats all I know as I just started with this gun...Will be watching this thread with interest..
Santiam338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

PM sent
Quaka Wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
guitgary
Steelhead

Naturally, each gun will treat each load differently. I have found my 300 WSM a bit on the tricky side to reload for...although very accurate when you finally find the right combination. the OAL is the real trick here. Your Remington might be chambered in such a way as to allow you to get your OAL pretty close to the rifling (.020 or .030). I have a Tikka which has a removable clip which will not allow me to load close to the rifling...unless I want a single shot.

Anyway, I think I shot most of the available bullets from Nosler, Barnes, Swift, Hornady and some Sierra.

This particluar gun will absolutely not shoot Barnes, so I had to give up on them...I have other rifles with the same problem.

The most consistent load for this rifle...FOR THIS RIFLE...start below this load and work up. You will find pressure signs with the 300 WSM pretty easily) is as follows:

67gr IMR 4831...180gr Hornady SP (model #3070). Federal GM215 Primer...Remington brass. Chronos at 2973 fps. Groups consistently under 1". Best group = .65

Take your time and have fun
Old 02-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

I hear you on the Barnes Bullets. Out of the 15 or so large caliber rifles I reload for, only 3 really like the Barnes TSX. Thankfully, the rest will shoot Accubonds less than an inch.

I'm going to load up 5 or 6 different loads today. Might get out tomorrow to try them if I can find a spot without too much snow. Will post the results for those interested.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
Blackbeardown
Tuna!

Check out this nosler site.

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15
Blackbeardown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
Flatfish
King Salmon

Joe,

I have no data help.

Pick a suitable powder, and run em over a chrono til it goes as fast as the books tell ya. I would think the 165 grainers would be a fine combo with the stubby wsm case. Heavier slugs eat up powder space and are not necessary with the tsx design.

In long throated rifles, boat tail bullets seem to be more forgiving than flat bases. Play with seating depth if accuracy is short of expectations.

Interestingly enough, of the 25 or so rifles I have ran TSX and plain old X bullets down, only a few did not like them. Most of these were with the original X bullets of the early '90s.

Good luck with the new iron.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
Joe,

I have no data help.

Pick a suitable powder, and run em over a chrono til it goes as fast as the books tell ya. I would think the 165 grainers would be a fine combo with the stubby wsm case. Heavier slugs eat up powder space and are not necessary with the tsx design.

In long throated rifles, boat tail bullets seem to be more forgiving than flat bases. Play with seating depth if accuracy is short of expectations.

Interestingly enough, of the 25 or so rifles I have ran TSX and plain old X bullets down, only a few did not like them. Most of these were with the original X bullets of the early '90s.

Good luck with the new iron.
Thanks, Mark. You bring up an important point about tinkering with seating depth. I bought a Remington 700 7mmSAUM last year and couldn't get it to shoot 3/8 inch groups like the previous owner, using the same loads. I emailed him and believe it or not, I was loading them a bit too long. I had used a stoney point tool to measure where the lands were and then backed my bullets back a few thousandths. After emailing the prior owner I pushed them in .150 and wallah, 3/8".

I loaded up 3 batches of 150 TSX and 3 batches of 150 Accubonds this morning. Tried 3 powders, RL19, RL22 and IMR4831. Will shoot them through the chrono and report back.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
Flatfish
King Salmon

I have a gadget called a Bullet Compariter. It looks like a big lugnut. each face has a caliber sized hole drilled in it. It measures true caliber on the slug, not simple cartridge overall length.

It is clearly the most important accuracy related tool I have on the bench.

With the TSX/X slugs, it is almost mandatory.

Sounds like you are on the right path.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Old 02-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

Quote:
I have a gadget called a Bullet Compariter. It looks like a big lugnut. each face has a caliber sized hole drilled in it. It measures true caliber on the slug, not simple cartridge overall length.

It is clearly the most important accuracy related tool I have on the bench.

With the TSX/X slugs, it is almost mandatory.

Sounds like you are on the right path.
I've got the same gizmo on my calipers right now. Takes into account the circumference of the bullet where it will actually hit the lands, as bullets of the same weight and design will often be different overall lengths. Those guys at Stoney Point will think of anything to get me to spend another $30.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
guitgary
Steelhead

After looking back through my data on the 300WSM, this Tikka also likes IMR 4831 and the 165gr Nosler.

I am wondering if the ability to "shoot" the 3X bullet might have something to do with the fact that there may be less forgiveness with the 3X in terms of contact with the rifling. Afterall, they are solid copper...maybe less solid contact...just a theory

In a nutshell, after finding the right combo, my 300 WSM shoots very well.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
mstarck
Chromer

This was the first season for the Browning A-bolt 300 WSM with 23" barrel.the load i was working on is 180 gr. Barnes MRX on top of 70.5 gr. H4831sc with fed 215 primers,federal brass.chrono was 2900 fps.i think this load has more potential but i ran out of time before hunting season and will persue it this spring.I do like the Barnes bullets and have a 300 weatherby that shoots them w/ moa .there are just a few things you need to pay attention to when using this type of bullet.

mike s.
mstarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #13
Two Ducks
Chromer

My best luck came with 65 grains Win 760 165 btsp Hornday bullet WLRM primer. I have tried IMR 4350 65.5 grains Hornday 180 btsp WLRm primer and it work ok also. Good luck.
Two Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

Well, nothing exciting to report on my first go around. Both 150 Accubonds and 150 TSX's shot about the same - 1.5 inch on average with a few smaller and a few bigger. I really don't have a lot of time to tinker with it so I'm leaning toward selling the gun as it's still new, and just too pretty to spend it's next couple years in the safe....hmmmm, decisions decisions.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
Flatfish
King Salmon

I'll give ya 50 bucks for it- as it sits!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #16
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

Quote:
I'll give ya 50 bucks for it- as it sits!
You'd just turn around and sell it to support that 2 headed love child.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #17
huntinfool
Ifish Nate

Probably needs to be bedded.
huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #18
guitgary
Steelhead

Really hate to see you give up on it so soon. Mine took (no kidding) approx 200 rounds tinkering with handloads to "magically" start to shoot. that is an extreme example, however. Lots of guns take a bit of shooting the break in the barrel enough to shoot tight groups. Not to mention that it takes a bit of time for the shooter to get used to a new gun.

Yep, there were a few times with my 300 WSM that I was looking for a creek to throw the darned thing in!! LOL Thankfully, the other side of my brain took over and assured me that patience would rule the day...it did...finally.

I get your frustration, though.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #19
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm not frustrated at all. I was debating whether to shoot this gun or not as I just don't have much use for it - too many others in the safe that I prefer. It didn't shoot bad at all and I've never had a 700 that I couldn't get to shoot less than an inch with at least one load within a few weeks. I'm sure this one is no different. I've bought 4 new rifles in the last month though, so need to get rid of this one.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #20
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Only a pet powder for it........RL22 pushes a 180gr bullet about as fast as possible.
Hunt'nFish
Old 02-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #21
ORhunter
Steelhead

Huntinfool is on the right track. Attend to the rifle before expecting any terriffic improvement in accuracy through loading.

Bedding the action is a job for any home do it yourselfer. Bed completely from the recoil lug on back and free float the barrel.

Figure out which bullet you're going to do your testing with and stick with that bullet so you can eliminate the variables that happen when switching bullets all the time.

Figure out the seating depth for that bullet:
Take a fired, empty, non-resized, trimmed to length case and run it into the sizer die just enough to hold a bullet firmly in the neck. Hand push a bullet into the neck. Take a felt marker and put a heavy dark stripe down the length of the shank of the bullet. Chamber the round and make sure the bolt handle goes down the whole way. This will take some effort beyond chambering a normal loaded round. Remove the case/bullet from the gun. If the bullet sticks in the barrel, drop something down the barrel to knock it out. If the bullet comes out with the case, examine the bullet and see if there are any scratch marks on the black stripe that indicate the bullet was pulled slightly back out of the case when the round was extracted. If there is, push the bullet back into the case to where the scratch marks stop at the case mouth. Measure the LOA and subtract the amount of freebore you want to load. I suggest .030 as a starting point. This will be the beginning load length for that bullet. If the bullet stuck in the barrel and needed to be removed, push it back into the case to the proper point like was mentioned and measure.

You will need to repeat this every time you switch bullets.

Test loads:
If you don't have one, make a short drop tube like six inches. With a felt pen, mark a point on the outside of the case where the base of the bullet will be when seated properly. Set a primed (Federal 215), re-sized case on the bench and start filling it slowly with H4831. Fill slightly fuller than the mark on the outside of the case so the powder is "slightly" compressed when the bullet is seated to its correct depth. Dump out the powder and weigh it. Do this a few times so you get a feel for the process and the weights are fairly consistent like within a quarter grain or less. Whatever your average weight is, is what your starting load is to begin your testing with. All H4831 loads are compressed loads so don't back off on the charge if things aren't accurate enough to suit you. You can always go up a grain or two. These should be accurate loads but if you want more velocity, change to Reloader 22 and bump up the charge a grain or two above H4831. This will "NOT" be a compressed load. If accuracy isn't what you'd like, switch primers before changing any other part of a load. Make sure all your cases are the same as different brands have different inside capacities, even within different lot numbers of the same brand.

I always weigh cases when I buy new ones. The lightest are my hunting cases where the inside volume of the case is the largest. The medium weight cases are what I do my testing with. The heaviest are my plinking cases and should never be used with the loads you developed with larger capacity cases. You must resize and trim to length all cases before weighing.
ORhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #22
GO-FASTER
Tuna!

Try Reloader -22-74 Grains With 165 Grain Bullet
GO-FASTER is offline   Reply With Quote