Coyote hunting with greyhounds? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 02-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
quit wishing
Steelhead

Default Coyote hunting with greyhounds?

Has anyone done this or heard of it? I was visiting my grandma & grandpa in AZ some 10 yrs ago for their 50th anniversary and while chatting up her brother on hunting he mentioned he raises greyhounds for "running" the coyotes. He kept about 6 to 10 for breeding and hunting in Iowa. He and his sons would get calls from their county and several nearby counties if someone spotted coyotes in the fields near the woodlots, they would load up several hounds including a wolfhound to "bust em out" and when the coyote hit the open ground the pack would be released, the ensuing sprint/chase would usually cover about 1/2 mile unless a fence got in the way. When the lead hound caught the yote doing mach 2 a simple nip in the rear would explode the hamstring, the pack would then have at it. He had my full attention at this point. He mentioned that alot of folks think "rusty" at the track is a rabbit...not so it's a yote. He invited me to come out anytime.....time never came and he has since passed. So I am throwing it out there to my fellow ifishers. Sounds very believable to me and would be incredible to witness, or was I an innocent gullible victim of a greatuncles yarn????

Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Default Re: Coyote hunting with greyhounds?

Years ago I read an article about greyhound coyote hunting, it is real.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Santiam338
Ifish Nate

Years back a friend of mine had a half redbone/half greyhound that he used for fieldtrialing...We took him east trying to show him a coyote to chase...Never could get him to see the yotes ,but he was hell on jackrabbits...Dang rabbits looked like they were in slow motion when that dog got after them...LOL .. Never could show him a yote though,but we sure wanted to...He just didn't look that far out...
Santiam338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Cornbread
Tuna!

Yes, historically greyhounds have been used to hunt coyotes and in India theya re used for Jackal control even to this day but more often for coyotes here in America Staghounds were used. Staghounds are a cross between a Scottish Deerhound and a greyhound and sometimes some other breeds as well.
Cornbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
ORhunter
Steelhead

I saw it on TV years ago......
ORhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Ni!
Ifish Nate

Lots of dogs are capable of chasing down and killing coyotes. My cousin usually has one or two at his place out in the desert, although not at the moment. Dogwagons are very popular in places like Kansas with the wide open spaces that the dogs can see for a long ways. The open space is important for greyhound-type dogs since they hunt by sight.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
Duckwheat
Tuna!

I was in eastern Colorado Dove hunting when a group came by with greyhounds. They said they were hunting Coyotes. We had kicked one out when we had started hunting the grove trees we were sitting in. Pointed in the direction he had gone.

About 15 minutes later here comes the coyote with a big old grey hound in close pursuit. Two more GH a little farther back. The first one rolled the coyote and he got up and went in another direction. Took the grey hound a little to get turned around. It did not take long for them to catch him again and they killed him.

To many parasites and too short of legs, not a very fair fight.

DW

Part time Motivational Team Leader and Life Coach.
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
Zeke
Steelhead

It's becoming real popular all over. And people are using blueticks, redbones, an any other kind of big game hound. My friend in Nebraska has 3 blueticks that are hell on yotes.

Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
quit wishing
Steelhead

Thanks for all the feedback guys, sounds like I need to get with my cousins I have yet to meet for some yote action.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
greyhoundhunting
Fry

Coyote hunting is very real. In the winter time when the weather is cooler is the best time, if not your dogs will die from the heat. If a greyhound gets to hot after running they could die. I hunt coyotes and one of my friends two weeks ago lost a dog to the heat. IF you have never seen a Greyhound catch and kill a coyote you don't know what your missing. Nothing like running around a track chasing a fake rabbit. In Oklahoma it is common on weekends for coyote hunters to get together and hunt. everone has pickup trucks with dog boxes, these boxes have doors that have opens for the greyhound to see out of, and the doors open by pulling a cord. that is when the excitment starts as soon as the greyhound sees the coyote the race is on. Some times the picksup race to get to a coyote, but never have we had an accident. we all have radios to communtie with each other. So yes it is very real and a sport that if you ever go you will love it.
greyhoundhunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
greyhoundhunting
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank Amateur View Post

Yes it is real i have video of coyote hunting with greyhounds I will post them or send them to you
Old 03-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
StevenB
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank Amateur View Post
Think I saw the same article. F & S or Outdoor life. East coasters or midwest I believe.

I don't think the story ever mentioned cool temps required. All the hunting photos had ice and snow though.

Sounds like a lot more adrenalin flow than a day of calling.

StevenB
StevenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #13
StevenB
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundhunting View Post
Coyote hunting is very real. In the winter time when the weather is cooler is the best time, if not your dogs will die from the heat. If a greyhound gets to hot after running they could die. I hunt coyotes and one of my friends two weeks ago lost a dog to the heat. IF you have never seen a Greyhound catch and kill a coyote you don't know what your missing. Nothing like running around a track chasing a fake rabbit. In Oklahoma it is common on weekends for coyote hunters to get together and hunt. everone has pickup trucks with dog boxes, these boxes have doors that have opens for the greyhound to see out of, and the doors open by pulling a cord. that is when the excitment starts as soon as the greyhound sees the coyote the race is on. Some times the picksup race to get to a coyote, but never have we had an accident. we all have radios to communtie with each other. So yes it is very real and a sport that if you ever go you will love it.
Welcome to ifish Greyhoundhunting. I'd guess you were as surprised as anyone that chasing down coyotes with greyhounds was mentioned here. I'd say it's one of the over looked hunting methods.

Do you every see a need to bring any weapons? Do you locate the coyotes with sight mostly? Probably a best kept secret in hunting coyotes.
Ever go out to call in a coyote? Would probably seem rather slow paced on most days. Maybe a good option if the mornings are cool while mid day warms up to shut down the running.

Once again welcome to ifish.

StevenB
StevenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:34 AM   #14
lonedrake

an old boss of mine told me stories about their greyhound hunting adventures they had as kids in idaho it was very interesting
Old 03-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
BlacktailBowhunter
Ifish Nate

They use Greyhound and Greyhound crosses. They call them longdogs, lurchers, and stag hounds.

If you are interested in them, shoot me a pm.

I know guys in Idaho that hunt yotes all the time.

BTBH
Old 03-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #16
Bucolic buffalo
Tuna!

I grew up in Northern Oklahoma and it was a regular event. The farmland in that area has a road every mile and it is easy to hunt it with dogs. It is a sight to see, sometimes they would use spotter planes to find the yote's so they could put the dogs on them. Sometimes a person would walk the creek bottoms and draws with hound or two to get the yotes moving so the greyhounds could see them. Where I grew up you could see a half-mile in any direction and farther so it was easy to run the dogs and keep track of them.
Bucolic buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #17
beaverheart
Steelhead

Great hunting. Of course, greyhounds are sight hunters so they have to see the game. Guys get up on a high point and often put the dog up on top of the dog box. It is truly astonishing how fast a greyhound can run.
I hope that the guys that are getting into the sport are picking up some dogs from the track in Portland.
beaverheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #18
DAB
King Salmon

My Step Father hunted yotes with Greyhounds down in New Mexico in the late 40's.

DAB
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #19
Newbs
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundhunting View Post
Okay...my interest meter just pegged....Welcome ot IFish Greyhound... Where are you located? Do you hunt in Oregon? Do you need a scout?
Newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #20
riverswild
Steelhead

While it is gaining in popularity, WA F&W have decided that the public does not approve of "canines chasing canines" and will ban the use of dogs for coyote hunting in all forms. Can't even use a dog as a decoy after this year.

Last edited by riverswild; 03-21-2009 at 06:29 AM.
riverswild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #21
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverswild View Post
While it is gaining in popularity, WA F&W have decided that the public does not approve of "canines chasing canines" and will ban the use of dogs for coyote hunting in all forms. Can't even use a dog as a decoy after this year.
I guess these people don't think much of our fore fathers that formed this great nation, most of them used dogs to hunt.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #22
HuntnCoug
Steelhead

Back in the 70's and early 80's my dad used to have several greyhounds and a greyhound mix. He would hunt coyotes and jack rabbits all the time. He has stories of his dogs killing a deer and an antelope on several occasions. This was in eastern montana. My grandpa has a big ranch in eastern montana, he has a couple mut ranch dogs, "german shephard mixes" that have killed several coyotes. I guess the bigger one, about 90lbs would catch the coyote and the smaller one, 60lbs would be the killer. He said it was amazing how fast it would happen. One or two headshakes with the coyotes neck in his jaws and the coyote would be dead.
HuntnCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #23
greyhoundhunting
Fry

WE never put or dogs on the box but use Flat Bed Pick up's that is plenty high enough for the dogs to see a coyote, once they see it, we turn them lose, I hope if anyone gets dogs from the track they have trained hunting dogs to go along with them, I used hot bloods from the track but they had never ran a coyote or crossed a barbwire fence,, they will get injured the first few times untill they are used to being off the track enviorment runniing in pastures, fields, or down the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverheart View Post
Great hunting. Of course, greyhounds are sight hunters so they have to see the game. Guys get up on a high point and often put the dog up on top of the dog box. It is truly astonishing how fast a greyhound can run.
I hope that the guys that are getting into the sport are picking up some dogs from the track in Portland.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #24
greyhoundhunting
Fry

I have four greyhounds, one stag and the other three regular greyhounds, but very big dogs, bigger than normal size greyhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacktailBowhunter View Post
They use Greyhound and Greyhound crosses. They call them longdogs, lurchers, and stag hounds.

If you are interested in them, shoot me a pm.

I know guys in Idaho that hunt yotes all the time.

BTBH
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #25
greyhoundhunting
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
Welcome to ifish Greyhoundhunting. I'd guess you were as surprised as anyone that chasing down coyotes with greyhounds was mentioned here. I'd say it's one of the over looked hunting methods.

Do you every see a need to bring any weapons? Do you locate the coyotes with sight mostly? Probably a best kept secret in hunting coyotes.
Ever go out to call in a coyote? Would probably seem rather slow paced on most days. Maybe a good option if the mornings are cool while mid day warms up to shut down the running.

Once again welcome to ifish.

StevenB
Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #26
greyhoundhunting
Fry

yes we take guns, but not to shot the coyote, we use them to scare the coyote out of pastures, and tree rows, we drive, the country roads, and know just about where they will be. When we spot a coyote or scare one out, and we can not get our dogs out on it we call the other hunters let them know what direction the coyote is running, one of them will intercept it and catch it
Old 11-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #27
Jayme Birdwell
Fry

I LIVE DOWN IN Texas and was brought up catching coyotes with greyhound type dogs ...Since gasoline prices have skyrocketed i had to skack off though...Theres different ways to do it i do it at night using aircraft landing lights for spotlights....we hunt in the fall and winter when the crops are out of the fields and the farmers dont mind you driving out there...you need a powerfull truck cause you have to get close enough to them to give your dogs a chance to catch them ....we have a release box for the dogs they look out of it and when we get 50 yards or so from the coyote we release them and keep in mind them coyotes are in high gear so lots of times we dont have time to come to a complete stop...If you dont get fairly close your dogs wont cath them especially those big males they can really run and for a long time too....they can run off and leave the fastest dogs over a distance...I have seen some of the big male coyotes turn and meet the dogs for a fight...its hard for the dogs to run a mile and still have the strength to hold one down cause think about it they have to use their mouth and they are panting so hard...this is when you get your dogs eat up cause them big coyotes arent SKEERED and are ****** of when they know they are caught....There are different types of dogs i mean they all have their own distintive way of doing battle ...you have to have a head dog in there ...thats a dog that has learned to grab the coyote by the head and hold on if not for him even though the coyote is down he will have the opportunity to chew your dog pack up...and make no mistake....they will do just that....aint pretty...you also have to have what we call catch dogs this is the speed that usually can out run the rest of your dogs and catch the coyote...these catch dogs are worth their weight in gold man.....Ive seen some of the best catch dogs do their job and catch the coyote and when the other dogs get there for the kill they back off and get out of the way knowing their job was well done....
Jayme Birdwell is offline   Reply With Quote