Crappie Beds - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 02-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
olgrizz
Steelhead

Default Crappie Beds

Do any of you put out crappie bed to add brush for the spawning crappie. I have read that down south that they put out bed made out of bamboo and also what they call crappie condos which are made of pvc pipe. Is it legal to do this in Oregon, does it make any differents? Would this help the fish like in Brownlee. Wouldn't mind doing a little of this if it is legal and would help the fish out. Thanks for info. OG

olgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
jbooth
Steelhead

Default Re: Crappie Beds

I dont know if it's legal in oregon, but I know that they have volunteer parties that make habitat out of pvc pipe for fish in washington for certain lakes. I know that there were several people from my bass club that helped do it for a lake in eastern washington. I think it was Banks lake? I don't see why it would be illegal though unless it was considered littering?
jbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

It would be interesting to take some old Chirstmas trees and set'em in concrete and sink'em along the banks.
Kinda an artifical sunken forest.
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
pitchnboy
Chromer

yeah i am going to do what huntn fish said at one of my lakes!!!

pitch
Old 02-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Crappie Chaser
Chromer

They do work. They give the fry a place to hide and also draw the big fish. In the late 80's Idaho Power & ODFW teamed up to place several brush piles in the Powder Arm. They are pretty much gone now and we could use their help again but they lasted for many years. These were juniper and lasted a lot longer than pine or fir will. Manzanita & mohagany are also good wood for this.
Crappie Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
olgrizz
Steelhead

C.C. If you were going to try and put a few out would you place them in the main river in about 15 feet of water, in coves, or on the flats such as in the power arm. I am new to crappie fishing, alway fish trout on the other side of the state so am trying to learn a lot in a short time. Thanks
olgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Crappie Chaser
Chromer

I would meter some points and look for one that gradually goes to 15'-25' before breaking off steeply to deep water. 15' is about right but 25' will be fishable longer as the level is lowered. I would also try putting some in coves with a similiar depth. You will have it to yourself longer if it's out in the main river.
Crappie Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
Cask of '43
Cutthroat

Down here in Arizona, reservoirs get lowered for dam work occasionally and bass clubs partner with the Game & Fish to put out fish habitat. Three pallets are used -one as a base and the other two lean together on top to make a big triangle. Cement blocks or big rocks are put in the middle to weight them down. Then brush or Christmas trees are collected and tied to the "pisces pyramids" and everything is lashed together. They are built out on flats and points and when the water comes back up, they are 10 to 25 feet deep. It is a lot easier to do it this way then try to boat them out and sink them.

So far, none of them are bass or panfish hotspots, but hopefully they are having some positive effect on the ecosystem. Roland Martin has said that it takes a few years for all the sap and pine needles to come off of Christmas trees before fish will go anywhere near them.

Last edited by Cask of '43; 02-04-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Cask of '43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:45 AM   #9
Surfishin
Steelhead

I think they already have done that in Brownlee area. I remember last year when the river was completely low that you can actually walk on the bottom of some of the sluegh you can actually see some christmas type setup. Some had the concrete block with bratches cememted in and others where pipe nail in.
Surfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:54 AM   #10
River Kid
Steelhead

I lived on the Columbia River in a floating home. We put our Christmas trees in concrete and dropped them off our decks. It took a couple years, but our population of small mouth really exploded. It was great to just walk out and do a little casting and pick up some smallies.
River Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #11
1bigfish
Tuna!

Most B.A.S.S. clubs also do at least some habitat projects. I would say before you start your own project you should contact places like...
The Oregon Bass & Panfish Club obpc0.tripod.com
Your local B.A.S.S. club.
Idaho Power idahopower.com
Idaho Fish and Game fishandgame.idaho.gov

By contacting one ot the places hopefully they can tell you if there are any projects that are going to be done on Brownlee. If there are none then at least one of them should be able to tell you if it is legal to do it. If it is legal then start your own project. I'm sure there are people here that would be willing to help.

Of course the most important thing to remember is that if you plant any kind of fish habitat, you will need to PM me the exact location.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
jcft2007
Chromer

HI,

Just out of curiosity, Is that picture of Lake Bartlett or Pleasant??
Man, I remember those lakes vividly!!

Thanks, Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cask of '43 View Post
Down here in Arizona, reservoirs get lowered for dam work occasionally and bass clubs partner with the Game & Fish to put out fish habitat. Three pallets are used -one as a base and the other two lean together on top to make a big triangle. Cement blocks or big rocks are put in the middle to weight them down. Then brush or Christmas trees are collected and tied to the "pisces pyramids" and everything is lashed together. They are built out on flats and points and when the water comes back up, they are 10 to 25 feet deep. It is a lot easier to do it this way then try to boat them out and sink them.

So far, none of them are bass or panfish hotspots, but hopefully they are having some positive effect on the ecosystem. Roland Martin has said that it takes a few years for all the sap and pine needles to come off of Christmas trees before fish will go anywhere near them.

jcft2007 is offline   Reply With Quote