Crawdad traps - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 02-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
cubsfan
Ifish Nate

Default Crawdad traps

I would like to start getting crawdads for summer steelhead. Does anybody have traps they use and like. What do you recommend? Do you just find a place where nobody will bother your traps, toss some hot dogs in and check daily...every other day?? I dont know how to get started. I know this is kind of sad as there is probably not much too it but I know some of you are super crafty about these things. Any info helps. Thanks!

cubsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
otterduck1
Steelhead

Default Re: Crawdad traps

I've always used to the wire mesh cydrilical type. But for some reson I always catch more in the smaller of the two- go figure. In lakes I always had good luck w/ beef liver, but in rivers those didn't seem to work that well. I've been thinking about trying raw chicken. Good for crabs anyway.
otterduck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
roadsend
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan View Post
I would like to start getting crawdads for summer steelhead. Does anybody have traps they use and like. What do you recommend? Do you just find a place where nobody will bother your traps, toss some hot dogs in and check daily...every other day?? I dont know how to get started. I know this is kind of sad as there is probably not much too it but I know some of you are super crafty about these things. Any info helps. Thanks!
Cylindrical wire mesh with salmon heads work great.
Hide your tie off twine so thieves can't loot your traps or put out and check gear at low water.
If possible tie off just below the depth of the run out tide.
roadsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
cubsfan
Ifish Nate

Cool! I am going to get a couple. I live close to a valley river and will try different baits. How far do you chuck them? Or does in not matter? Thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
wannacatchem
Ifish Nate

I haven't done this in a billion years, so this info may not be accurate....

I would find places with rock or lots of down trees, etc. Think of what a crawdad would use for cover/home, etc. Drop traps in or as close as possible to these places. Upstream is good, as the scent will flow down to them. As far as bait, all I've ever used is the cheapest canned cat food I can find.

good luck
Old 02-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Steelheadman
Steelhead

Question Re: Crawdad traps

Isn't it a little early to be getting crawdads for summer steelhead? The dad's come out when the water warms a little bit later in the spring. At least that is what I've heard.
Steelheadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
cubsfan
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheadman View Post
Isn't it a little early to be getting crawdads for summer steelhead? The dad's come out when the water warms a little bit later in the spring. At least that is what I've heard.
Oh yes, I am just thinking of getting started this upcoming season. I think there are probably more ice chunks than dads at this point.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Blodgett Bret
Cutthroat

I am a country boy and there is only one bait you need to use and that is raw bacon. Leave a little out so they can get to it to keep them occupied and put the rest in some kind of container with holes in it (mesh etc.) so it can milk out.
Blodgett Bret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
spooner
Tuna!

If im not mistaken make sure you have a shelfish lic. in oregon I know you need them for sand srimp. Im not shure if there is a limit and how many pots you can run. sounds like fun and some good eats.
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
Fishstix
Tuna!

There is a limit, but you do not need a license.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
Chris61182
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooner View Post
If im not mistaken make sure you have a shelfish lic. in oregon I know you need them for sand srimp. Im not shure if there is a limit and how many pots you can run. sounds like fun and some good eats.

Nope, no shellfish license required, but you do need a fishing license (page 3 in the regs).

And while I didn't take the time to check all the zones it looks like a limit of 100 per day.

Last edited by Chris61182; 02-02-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Chris61182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
cubsfan
Ifish Nate

Thanks guys!
Old 02-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
CWOregon
Tuna!

I havent had much luck with the traps but also havent left them out for days at a time. I always had more dads crowding around the outside than anything. Let us know how it goes though, I am interested.

As for where to do it......look for a spot with medium sized river rock, they hide under the rocks and if they smell somethin yummy will come out of the woodwork. And for bait....anything greasy and stinky will work. Bacon, chicken (raw or bones with some left on them from fried chicken), fish carcasses, or even leftover chinese or mexican food....
CWOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #14
fishcatcher658
Steelhead

throw them in the deepest water you can find. i fish for them all summer long. im 14. ha i am an expert on these little things. i check my traps every 30 minutes to an hour depending on how board i am. we also take sticks and tie fishing line off to them and tie chicken to the line and fish for them that way. we always come home with 80 -100 depending on what we really need to use them for. oh yeha we usally use trout old fish chicken. we dont use hot dogs they dont last long
fishcatcher658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #15
nobrownline
Ifish Nate

I run a string every year. In wa. season doesn't start until May. Use cylinder traps. The best are made of 5 gal buckets with your own cones. Muddy bottoms actually work the best. Fish is the best bait in the river bar none. I have hundreds of hours trying different things. (thank god for shad)(free bait for the year) Once the bait starts to rot get it out. Its not very good at all.I leave my traps 1-2 days. In wa you are suppose to have bouys like crabs. Dont do this unless you want to donate traps. I have figured out the best way to hide them but somethings you have to figure out for yourself because if I told you where to put them and how to hide them everyone would know where to steal mine.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:30 AM   #16
dock rat
Steelhead

Chris61182, the regs on page 3 of the regs exempts crayfish,smelt,bullfrogs and freshwater clams from having to have a license. Man, things are complicated!
dock rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #17
Chris61182
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dock rat View Post
Chris61182, the regs on page 3 of the regs exempts crayfish,smelt,bullfrogs and freshwater clams from having to have a license. Man, things are complicated!
That's even better!

Sorry for the confusion anyone.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #18
ponyboy
Coho

If you have a stream that has plenty of dad's, set a trap upstream with bait of choice and then fish for them with a wad of bait at the end of a long rod and simply drag them into your net. I take the kids and make a fishing/crawdadn' trip out of it and they have a blast. We generally get most by the fishing method.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #19
cubsfan
Ifish Nate

Thanks guys!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #20
Big Will
Coho

I saw some nice traps at sportsmans ware house last week and most of the lake will have some to catch.
Big Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #21
BridgeCatcher
Steelhead

Has anyone ever had trouble keeping them in the traps? I used one of the cylindrical ones that I bough at Joes and I actually watched on crawl right out of the trap ...

Before I use it again I am going to zip-tie some wire mesh to the inside to create a gate (very similar to a crap pot) ... Once tye are in they won get out.

Might want to add it to you pots just in case ...
Old 02-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #22
YoungBuck28
Chromer

hey i've only crawdaded in rivers and i use traps mostly as a way to bait them out of their homes under rocks. they usually just sit under the trap or downstream and eat parts of the bait. once they come out tho you can sneak up behind them and catch them with your hands or strainers. i want to try them on lakes tho. any tips for that? or just throw them in different spots til you find em?
YoungBuck28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #23
CombinationLicense
Ifish Nate

I've always used the standard wire mesh cylinder style but sometimes you have to cut the opening a bit for the big boys to be able to get in. By far the best bait I've found is cheap catfood. You can get four or five cans for a buck at most big supermarkets and I've found the liver or fish flavors to work best. Don't open the can by pulling the top off with the little tab as it will not last long enough to do you much good. Instead use an old can opener that makes the little triangle shaped holes. Just put 4-6 holes around the rim and place one or two cans in each trap. HTH - good luck

"CL"
CombinationLicense is offline   Reply With Quote