JohnCimfl2
Steelhead

Default Oregon Crossbow Hunting?????

Should Oregon be a state where Crossbow Hunting is allowed

JohnCimfl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Tom H
Steelhead

Default Re: Oregon Crossbow Hunting?????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:t wocents:
Tom H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #3
gottafish
King Salmon

Get A rope !!!! ARE YOU FOR REAL!!! string ya up by the ____________

gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:26 AM   #4
JohnCimfl2
Steelhead

hey i never said i agreed with crossbow hunting in ORegon... just wanted to know what people thought
Old 01-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
StevenB
Halibut

Great Hunting Poll .

I'd looked into the cross bow as an option when I'd read they were legal in other states. I latter learned their "blots" caused limitations in accuracy and range. I also read in the regs that they were not legal so that was that.

I know a guy whos dad killed a buck with a rock. Not sure what the state would have thought about that.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
Capin' Dan
Ifish Nate

Just don't call it archery hunting. I saw let them do it but do it during normal rifle season. I think that all weapons should be the same general season. MAybe break it up so as to put people in the woods at a different time but allow all weapon not just archery or not just muzzle loader.

Now that I have torqued all the archery and muzzle loaders off think about what you guys have done to potential crossbow hunters. We have to support one another just because we might not see it your way doesn't mean we should condemn them. I voted for it wouldn't effect me as it wouldn't just like muzzle loaders and archery hunters. What would archery guys think if we had rifle season first so as to wisen up the animals before archer's had a wack at them.

Rambling but maybe you get my point live and let live.
Delta Waterfowl Sponser member #38
Deer Island OR.
Capin' Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
ehunter
King Salmon

I agree during the general season if you want one but don't try to get a new season or add it to bow season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capin' Dan View Post
Just don't call it archery hunting. I saw let them do it but do it during normal rifle season. I think that all weapons should be the same general season. MAybe break it up so as to put people in the woods at a different time but allow all weapon not just archery or not just muzzle loader.

Now that I have torqued all the archery and muzzle loaders off think about what you guys have done to potential crossbow hunters. We have to support one another just because we might not see it your way doesn't mean we should condemn them. I voted for it wouldn't effect me as it wouldn't just like muzzle loaders and archery hunters. What would archery guys think if we had rifle season first so as to wisen up the animals before archer's had a wack at them.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
woolybuggerboy
Steelhead

I've heard some states have special seasons for all limited range weapons, so essentially shotgun/muzzleoader/pistol/crossbow seperate from bow or general rifle seasons. That would be an option.
woolybuggerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
simpleguy
Steelhead

I believe they should allow crossbow hunting in Oregon as an exception. For those that are older, those that are younger and those that are other than abled. That way I could take my grandfather who is in his mid 80's or my daughter who won't quite have the ooompf to get a bow back when she is of age. Also that way some of the vets that return from the sandbox can without some of the limbs they left with.

simpleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #10
lor
Ifish Nate

Just not during archery season, because there is a difference.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #11
Fish Slayer
Chromer

:lurk:

Ride it like you stole it!
Fish Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #12
Oregonhunter

I have no problem with it as long as it is done during firearm season's. I do not believe it has any business being used during archery seasons.

My 2 anyways,

oh
Oregonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #13
Blue Tip Spinner
Tuna!

Quote:

i am sure glad you aren't the person making the rules.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
JohnCimfl2
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleguy View Post
I believe they should allow crossbow hunting in Oregon as an exception. For those that are older, those that are younger and those that are other than abled. That way I could take my grandfather who is in his mid 80's or my daughter who won't quite have the ooompf to get a bow back when she is of age. Also that way some of the vets that return from the sandbox can without some of the limbs they left with.

Hey simpleguy i really admire what u said, because my grandpa would benifit a lot from being able to hunt with a crossbow...but like everybody said NOT DURING BOW SEASON.
GREAT PPOST
Old 01-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #15
sliverpicker
King Salmon

sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #16
Capin' Dan
Ifish Nate

BTS right back at you.
My point is that I am constantly seeing folks that want to dictate their beliefs on others. I am glad that the people who make the rules usually (OK sometimes or once in a blue moon) make decisions that are for the whole sport and population. Yes I personally like it as is. I have archery hunted for many years and taken more deer in Texas and Conn. than most will in a life time. I've taken bear, Cariboo also wiht a bow and Turkeys and even a pheasant out of the air with flu flu's once. My point is that I don't feel it is up to me to bann crossbows just because I personally don't use one. I would hate to see them out in the woods during archery season in anyones hands But in general season sure why not. I have seen people shoot them and they are accurate enough and fast enough. so why not. What about pistols to hunt big game with???

This very approach is how we lost bait and hounds and is how we will loose future battles and resources in my humble opinion.
Deer Island OR.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #17
Blue Tip Spinner
Tuna!

i agree that it is cool for general, just not during archery. you said it wouldn't affect you- the general public doesn't see the difference between a bow and a cross bow, so it would directly affect you and i. i guess i mis-read your post about the timing of rifles before bow season, that is my mistake and i retract my statement. i do think that for some units (willamette unit and the draw tags for Umatilla NWR) a crossbow should be an option because of the close proximity to homes and the fact that a crossbow shot on an open plain won't travel as far as a rifle. i know they have shotguns for that, but a crossbow should be an option as well.

oh yea, by the way, i do hunt deer after the rifles have had a crack at them and i DON'T like it at all. talk about skiddish....
Old 01-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #18
barnyard121
Steelhead

If they had another season maybe
Old 01-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
sunshinefisherman
Tuna!

Quote:

I agree, special seaon or OK during rifle / muzzle loader

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
sunshinefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #20
ehunter
King Salmon

The problem is who is going to give up a season for this new hunt we are all trying to maximize our own seasons. So some one would have to lose some days to give them a new season. I think to use itin the Willamette hunt or some of the hunts near houses is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard121 View Post
Old 01-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #21
loper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
So some one would have to lose some days to give them a new season.
Not necessarily true; many states where crossbows are legal allow them to be used by anyone during general firearm seasons only. They are not treated as a separate class of weapon with a separate season.

Some states also allow their use during other seasons (such as archery) only by those holding a disability permit.

A few allow their use by those 65 and over.

Thanks go to the original poster for posting the question; I learned some things I didn't know before.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #22
ehunter
King Salmon

Loper my response was to this post. I too don't care if they are included in a rifle season I would not want them added to a bow season. But the question was if they had another season and that was what I was pointing out where would you get the time? No big deal.

lc

Re: Oregon Crossbow Hunting?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard121 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
Not necessarily true; many states where crossbows are legal allow them to be used by anyone during general firearm seasons only. They are not treated as a separate class of weapon with a separate season.

Some states also allow their use during other seasons (such as archery) only by those holding a disability permit.

Thanks go to the original poster for posting the question; I learned some things I didn't know before.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #23
loper
Tuna!

Quote:
Loper my response was to this post. I too don't care if they are included in a rifle season I would not want them added to a bow season. But the question was if they had another season and that was what I was pointing out where would you get the time? No big deal.

lc
Got it; I read it but it didn't properly process it because the post you responded to was in the bottom half of your post; I'm used to them being at the top.

It forced me to learn something new anyway; nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #24
ehunter
King Salmon

We all good:valentine: Kidding just kidding...

Quote:
Got it; I read it but it didn't properly process it because the post you responded to was in the bottom half of your post; I'm used to them being at the top.

It forced me to learn something new anyway; nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #25
Santiam338
Ifish Nate

Crossbows in archery season??????

NNNOOOOOOOOO
Santiam338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #26
mpmax
Chromer

Quote:
Sooooooo, if you have a medical marijuana card you can hunt with a cross-bow?
mpmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #27
rimrock
Sturgeon

Don't care either way to be honest. Technology is already part of hunting, what level of Tech is the only debate. I'm sure there'd be a way to fix this Crossbow Tech into the system somewhere.
rimrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #28
Hookset
Sturgeon

NO thank you!
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #29
nobrownline
Ifish Nate

you can in WA. with a disability permit. During bow season.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #30
JohnCimfl2
Steelhead

Quote:

Thank loper for the upbuilding post it just makes this thread a little more livley. and your welcome
Old 01-29-2008, 01:20 AM   #31
Reel Obsession
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmax View Post
Sooooooo, if you have a medical marijuana card you can hunt with a cross-bow?
.........funny!

I fish because that's what the voices in my head tell me to do.
Reel Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #32
sunshinefisherman
Tuna!

Quote:
The problem is who is going to give up a season for this new hunt we are all trying to maximize our own seasons. So some one would have to lose some days to give them a new season. I think to use itin the Willamette hunt or some of the hunts near houses is a good idea.
I like the idea, my daughter rifle hunted near houses this year on a Willamette tag. I had her pass on a doe because of an unsafe direction. There are not that many shotgun-only restrictions in Oregon but a crossbow has a shotgun-like range and would be appropriate as a short range weapon and would allow for better shot placement than a shotgun. Years ago I shot a doe with buck shot and 6 pellets hit her in the gut, NASTY!

I think that poaching may be a consideration, or at least an excuse to not allow them. This was the reason used to register silencers years ago. Surprisingly, it is not illegal to hunt with one.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
sunshinefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #33
Abalone
King Salmon

Crossbows were legal in Oregon until the early 70's or late 60's...
It was the archer's that had them banned. I don't recall what the reason was... but I could find out.

My Uncle use to make crossbows. ( Dud Nelson Senior )
He invented the very first compound Crossbow. The next year they banned hunting with Crossbows. They would re-open it if there was enough interest I am sure.... Why not ?

"I think that poaching may be a consideration, or at least an excuse to not allow them. This was the reason used to register silencers years ago. Surprisingly, it is not illegal to hunt with"

Poaching is not an issue with crossbows..... Read below.

Personally I'd like to see Crossbows to be legal for Coyotes and other predators.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #34
Abalone
King Salmon

To date, there has been no big push to legalize crossbows in Oregon, according to Tom Thornton of the state's wildlife division.

"It hasn't been an issue in Oregon recently," Thornton said. "The only requests I'm aware of is some disabled hunters have asked for crossbows to be an option."

But those requests were denied on the basis that "other options are available for holding a standard bow at full draw," he said.

Also, he said, archery hunting groups in Oregon have opposed the use of crossbows.

Opponents of crossbows generally argue that crossbows have a longer range than vertical bows, and would be so effective that bow seasons would have to be shortened to avoid overharvest.

In Georgia, which legalized the use of crossbows in 2002, biologists report harvest rates of .49 deer per hunter using crossbows and .51 deer per hunter using vertical bows. Fifty-five percent of all archery hunters (and a whopping 80 percent among senior hunters) opted for the X-bow.

The crossbow's availability was credited with drawing 9,300 new archery hunters in Georgia in 2004.

Wildlife agencies need to sell more licenses and tags is one reason Buckmasters says: "Like it or not, crossbows are coming to your state."

Mike Stahlberg can be reached at mstahlberg@guardnet.com.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #35
JohnCimfl2
Steelhead

Old 01-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #36
Hookset
Sturgeon

People need to remember, that archery hunting seasons were created and exist today as a primitive weapon season. The crossbow is not welcomed into the archery season or in Oregon because of a very real threat that this would dramatically change future hunting opportunities that dedicated bowhunters have worked so hard to establish.

Shooting a bow was never meant to be effortless or easy. Not everyone has the strength or stamina to accurately shoot a hunting weight bow and that is as it should be. After all, a bow is held in the hand and drawn by the opposite hand with the archer required to hold the weight of the bow.

Granted, the continued proliferation or perhaps attack of archery hunting seasons have been going on for quite some time with the growing technological advances. This is where the Oregon Bowhunters and other archery groups have continued their close monitoring of equipment to strike a balance between continued growth of archery and maintaining the primitive weapon status.

Crossbows are not welcomed and are actively challenged when ever the subject comes up. And I for one support this and would like to see archery seasons and equipment restrictions remain as they are today. Just say no to crossbows!!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #37
SILVERSINK
Tuna!

Times have changed to the point that their are hardly any archery hunters doing traditional bows. If traditional is the argument then Crossbows ought to be part of the conservation. Compound bows can hardly be considered traditional because of the advances in their design.Cross bows ,Long bows, Recurve bows have been around and havent changed in hundreds of years. I hunt with a Long bow and would welcome the thought of everyone that calls a Cross Bow not a option. As to long of range read some the hunting mags. bragging that the compound bows are able to shoot their carbon fiber (traditional) arrows 75yds and hit the target with killing force. Someone tell me were the traditional argument holds up.
SILVERSINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #38
Got One!
Chromer

There is little difference between a Modern Compound bow and a Crossbow. I'm not sure what people think the effective distance is on a crossbow but it isnt any different than a standard compound bow. Denying a crossbow is denying disabled folks from that season. If you want tradition lose the compound bows, the sights, and the trigger mechanisms, they are more powerful than a crossbow.

http://www.geocities.com/gunversatio...scrossbows.htm

http://www.huntersfriend.com/crossbo...pectations.htm

and so on... oh and btw....

http://www.huntersfriend.com/crossbo...egulations.htm <-----!!

Last edited by Got One!; 01-30-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Got One! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #39
Ni!
Ifish Nate

The act of drawing the bow at the time of the shot is what makes a big difference between even a modern compound and a crossbow. I can think of a huge elk I would have killed a few years ago if I could have drawn my bow back when I set out for the hunt in the morning, instead of when he was 22 yards away and looking right at me.

Keep the crossbows out of the archery season. I really don't have a problem with allowing them during muzzleloader or rifle season.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #40
ehunter
King Salmon

I have not shot one so I may be a little out of whack but it seems pretty easy to me to put that scope cross hairs on a elk and touch off the trigger there is a difference in my mind. I think if people want to hunt with them let them do so in the rifle seasons or use them as a close in weapon where you don't want to have people using a modern fire arm in close proximity of houses for special hunt situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni! View Post
The act of drawing the bow at the time of the shot is what makes a big difference between even a modern compound and a crossbow. I can think of a huge elk I would have killed a few years ago if I could have drawn my bow back when I set out for the hunt in the morning, instead of when he was 22 yards away and looking right at me.

Keep the crossbows out of the archery season. I really don't have a problem with allowing them during muzzleloader or rifle season.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #41
Hookset
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERSINK View Post
Times have changed to the point that their are hardly any archery hunters doing traditional bows. If traditional is the argument then Crossbows ought to be part of the conservation. Compound bows can hardly be considered traditional because of the advances in their design.Cross bows ,Long bows, Recurve bows have been around and havent changed in hundreds of years. I hunt with a Long bow and would welcome the thought of everyone that calls a Cross Bow not a option. As to long of range read some the hunting mags. bragging that the compound bows are able to shoot their carbon fiber (traditional) arrows 75yds and hit the target with killing force. Someone tell me were the traditional argument holds up.
The debate is not about traditional versus modern archery,that discussion was played out many years ago. The issue is more about the definition of a bow and the inherent limitations with using the bow.

As Ni! already pointed out; the simple act of drawing a bow string to shoot an arrow is what separates a bow from other devices intended to hold an arrow or bolt in a pre-cocked and ready to fire position. In bowhunting, one of the greatest challenges is getting close enough to accurately shoot at an animal. An even greater challenge is getting a bow to full draw without being detected and then holding the string at full draw waiting for that prefect shot. A crossbow would eliminate this, with a bolt in a pre-cocked ready to fire position, this reduces the skill and difficulty required and gives the hunter an unfair advantage.

Bottom line: The modern crossbow is not a bow and should never be part of the archery seasons. It would better suited to muzzle loader or rifle seasons or eliminated altogether.

Again, archery hunting and shooting a bow was never meant to be easy, to become proficient takes days, weeks and years to master. Not everyone has the ability or desire to spend the amount of time and effort required to accurately hunt with a bow. There are no short cuts or magical contraptions to reduce the effort, although the modern compound has certainly reduced the learning curve. But in the end, drawing and holding the string at full draw with your own hands and arms is what helps define a bow and anything different should never be allowed in archery hunting seasons.

BTW - If you shoot a longbow, then you should already know there are a lot of traditional archers in Oregon who actively pursue big game every year using primitive weapons. The resurgence is real and alive and growing.

Gregg
Old 01-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #42
JohnCimfl2
Steelhead

wow this poll is better than i thought it would be
Old 01-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #43
scottishsetter
Ifish Nate

:lurk::lurk:Let us not hear from the poachers??????
scottishsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #44
JohnCimfl2
Steelhead

Ya no joke
Old 01-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #45
Capin' Dan
Ifish Nate

Hooksetter,
Todays bows are not primative weapons and niether are todays muzzle loaders, If you want primative weapon then get some horse hair braid a sting cut a stick and make a bow chip some rock make an arrow head cut a little stick make an arrow now thats primative and what a primative season should be about. I'd bet we would have 1 ot 2 bow hunters in the whole state about that time. Just making a point as I see it I don't care on eway or the other about crossbows. If they ask me to vote though I would say yes just to support my brother sportsmen.

Unfair advantage, Then put away your calls and hunt in December after the rut is closed because in many folks eyes that is an unfair advantage. Leave them alone while they are breeding i'd bet that many folks could do a survey that would suggest leaving them alone duirng the rut would result in better offspring. Just playing devil's advocate here a bit. Yes I have been an archery hunter for many may years. and stil sometimes this debate gets me as to why my way is the only way type of stuff.
Deer Island OR.

Last edited by Capin' Dan; 01-30-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #46
JohnCimfl2
Steelhead

thats a good point. even though that would be fun to do
Old 01-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #47
Super Fluke
King Salmon

I don't think it would be good for the state
Old 01-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #48
Old Soldier
Chromer

As an Old Soldier I am having trouble with many of the new equipment item available that takes a lot of the guess (or skill out of hunting). The question is where to draw the line on technology.
Something to think about.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #49
Hookset
Sturgeon

Quote:
Hooksetter,
Todays bows are not primative weapons and niether are todays muzzle loaders
No argument there, I never said modern weapons were primitive. What I did say is archery only hunting seasons are for primitive weapons. Ok, so that's mixing words, but what this really means is that new technology in weapons and equipment used in archery is closely monitored every year with new regulations introduced to restrict or eliminate what is perceived as an unfair advantage. This ongoing balancing act is played out every year to keep the onslaught of new technologies at bay with the ODFW working with the Oregon Bowhunters and the Traditional Archers of Oregon each year to help set equipment restrictions.

Obviously bows and arrows have changed over the years and newer technologies have been adapted with considerable debate. The line has to be drawn somewhere and for now, that doesn't include crossbows and hopefully this will remain true for years to come.

I've been a bowhunter for over 30 years and appreciate the challenge of the equipment along with the limitations. It bothers me when people would rather use technology in place of skill and hard work. People who understand the sacrifices and effort it takes to become proficient with a bow and arrow do not want to share hunting seasons with people who insist on short cuts. An example of this is rifle hunters who fail to draw a tag and pick up a bow for the first time before archery season. These people are not bowhunters without the skills required to shoot accurately at game. Dedicated bowhunters understand this and would like to see regulations changed to prevent late archery tags sales.

Ok, think I got off base a little, hopefully you can understand my concerns.

Last edited by Hookset; 02-02-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 AM   #50
SILVERSINK
Tuna!

If you dont want rifle hunters to enjoy the diversity of bow hunting,I would say that bow hunters want exclusive rights there sport. I hunt as I said with a long bow most of the time.I also hunt with rifles ,comp. bows, and some times slingshots when a racoon is in the yard. I have seen both sides of the fence and think that there is an advantage to hunting a love sick bull during the rut. maybe we should go to a draw system where all hunters have to declare were they want to hunt and when they choose to hunt. Maybe even defineing the cal.of rifles used and what equipment a bow hunter is going to use and divide the units accordingly.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #51
Hookset
Sturgeon

Quote:
If you dont want rifle hunters to enjoy the diversity of bow hunting,I would say that bow hunters want exclusive rights there sport. I hunt as I said with a long bow most of the time.I also hunt with rifles ,comp. bows, and some times slingshots when a racoon is in the yard. I have seen both sides of the fence and think that there is an advantage to hunting a love sick bull during the rut. maybe we should go to a draw system where all hunters have to declare were they want to hunt and when they choose to hunt. Maybe even defineing the cal.of rifles used and what equipment a bow hunter is going to use and divide the units accordingly.
It's not exclusive rights to bowhunting, it's more about protecting the sport from people who do not have the skills to shoot a bow accurately and maintaining the integrity and the image of bowhunting to other hunters and the general public. It's a lot like when the media calls a poacher a hunter.....just because a rifle was used doesn't mean the person was a hunter, far from it.

So just because someone can buy a license, tag, a bow and arrows the day before archery season doesn't make this person a bowhunter. Everyone starts somewhere, but it's largely accepted that to be an effective bowhunter requires time to become proficient with a bow and arrow and if the person has trouble hitting a 12'"target at 20 yards then they shouldn't be hunting.

I too enjoy the diversity between rifles, shotguns and bows, but I also recognize the limitations and demands required with the various weapons. When the ODFW changed hunting seasons requiring hunters to pick their weapon, I wasn't happy about the change, but I have learned over the years it really worked out for the best since it's hard to be a part time bowhunter and it's not fair to the game they hunt.

If this sounds exclusive, it shouldn't be since everyone makes their own choices.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:54 PM   #52
Oregonhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
It's not exclusive rights to bowhunting, it's more about protecting the sport from people who do not have the skills to shoot a bow accurately and maintaining the integrity and the image of bowhunting to other hunters and the general public. It's a lot like when the media calls a poacher a hunter.....just because a rifle was used doesn't mean the person was a hunter, far from it.

So just because someone can buy a license, tag, a bow and arrows the day before archery season doesn't make this person a bowhunter. Everyone starts somewhere, but it's largely accepted that to be an effective bowhunter requires time to become proficient with a bow and arrow and if the person has trouble hitting a 12'"target at 20 yards then they shouldn't be hunting.

I too enjoy the diversity between rifles, shotguns and bows, but I also recognize the limitations and demands required with the various weapons. When the ODFW changed hunting seasons requiring hunters to pick their weapon, I wasn't happy about the change, but I have learned over the years it really worked out for the best since it's hard to be a part time bowhunter and it's not fair to the game they hunt.

If this sounds exclusive, it shouldn't be since everyone makes their own choices.
Well said!

oh
Oregonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 PM   #53
Got One!
Chromer

So you're suggesting an accuracy test before licensing? For the Long bow, Compound Bow, or Crossbow? Are we including centerfire season too?

(A little devils advocate here)

Last edited by Got One!; 01-31-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #54
Hookset
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got One! View Post
So you're suggesting an accuracy test before licensing? For the Long bow, Compound Bow, or Crossbow? Are we including centerfire season too?

(A little devils advocate here)
Actually, that's not a bad idea, except the cost may prove prohibitive. I believe they have weapon proficiency testing in Switzerland.

For bow season, it's been suggested before that the cut-off date to purchase an archery license and tag move to the end of May or beginning of June. This would help eliminate the last minute desperate attempt to fling arrows at game.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 AM   #55
SILVERSINK
Tuna!

Maybe we ought to go out to the range and test all of the different wepons to see what their range and accuracys are and then make a decission at that point to see if any of them should be allowed or eliminated. Lets be fair to all. Or be bias to some.

Last edited by SILVERSINK; 02-01-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #56
SILVERSINK
Tuna!

I just happen to have all the above weapons for the test.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:18 AM   #57
Got One!
Chromer

Quote:
Maybe we ought to go out to the range and test all of the different weapons to see what their range and accuracy's are and then make a decision at that point to see if any of them should be allowed or eliminated. Lets be fair to all. Or be bias to some.
Kind of what I was getting at. The bottom line (to me) is when you start nitpicking and creating limits based on this and that, your doing just what the anti's want you to. Making it harder and harder to hunt. If anything I would think the way to go is to open your arms to better and more effective methods of hunting. I personally don't think a crossbow is a more effective weapon than a Compound bow, and I dint think a hunter that is used to rifle hunting has as good a chance as a seasoned bow hunter harvesting game with either weapon. There is a lot of stealth, and tactics that will take time for them to develop. I think if it is believed that suddenly there will be a swarm of crossbow hunters running around the woods, that thought is mistaken, and certainly not a lot more harvested game taken because of a crossbow, but perhaps more positive interest in the sport.

BTW based on this past year, I would like to see nothing more than hunters safety classes with an emphasis on gun safety and loss of rights (perhaps loss of firearm or hunting rights for a year or two for extreme carelessness, however, there is the other side as I said, of not doing what the anti's want....but then perhaps some people should get their rights taken away, as they are complete morons pointing their weapon at anything that moves.

Last edited by Got One!; 02-01-2008 at 06:32 AM. Reason: mo info!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #58
Blue Tip Spinner
Tuna!

Quote:

BTW based on this past year, I would like to see nothing more than hunters safety classes with an emphasis on gun safety and loss of rights (perhaps loss of firearm or hunting rights for a year or two for extreme carelessness, however, there is the other side as I said, of not doing what the anti's want....but then perhaps some people should get their rights taken away, as they are complete morons pointing their weapon at anything that moves.
that is why i bowhunt now. sure you have stupid people with bows out there, but they are LESS likely to shoot at you unless they see the their target for what it is.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #59
Santiam338
Ifish Nate

It really has nothing to do with whether a crossbow is more or less effective than a compound bow...

It has everything to do with whether a crossbow is archery...There is a whole lot of us out there that don't consider a crossbow a bow at all...

I am even starting to wonder about some of the compounds..

Santiam338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #60
Ni!
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I think if it is believed that suddenly there will be a swarm of crossbow hunters running around the woods, that thought is mistaken, and certainly not a lot more harvested game taken because of a crossbow, but perhaps more positive interest in the sport.
If crossbows were allowed in bow seasons, you would see many more people using them, for the simple reason that they're always drawn back, and they fire like a gun, which is a much more natural shooting motion. Most people will choose the easiest way, which is the reason most hunters currently use compound bows. (I say this as a bowhunter who uses a compound bow myself.) Allowing crossbows would have a significant effect on the bowhunting seasons in terms of increasing harvest, and it would also increase hunter interest in bowhunting seasons. That's something we don't need. There are already too many bowhunters in Oregon.

I first got into bowhunting over 20 years ago mostly as a way to beat the crowds during elk season. That doesn't work anymore in most areas. Crossbows would just make that worse.

Fortunately, I believe this discussion is mostly moot, as I don't believe there's any real push to allow them anytime soon.