Gales creek steelhead?? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
salterc
Steelhead

Default Gales creek steelhead??

Does anyone know if it is still open for steelhead?? I used to fish the upper Tualatin and G. creek for steelhead when I was in High school and they shut it down back then. Just curious if the regs have changed.

salterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
SandySteel
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Gales creek steelhead??

Quote:
Originally Posted by salterc View Post
Does anyone know if it is still open for steelhead?? I used to fish the upper Tualatin and G. creek for steelhead when I was in High school and they shut it down back then. Just curious if the regs have changed.
Closed for Steelhead. More specifically it is closed to steelhead and salmon unless allowed in the special regulations. Gales Creek does not specify that steelhead are open thus it is closed to them. Open for coho Aug - Oct. Artificial lures & flies only.

Here are the regs.....
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/docs...egulations.pdf
Old 01-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
jimsbuddy
Tuna!

Location: Close enough to hagg to hit it with a toss of a rock

Gales creek has feesh???? WOW, I never knew that... Guess I should look at a map. I live in the area, and its a nasty old stagnet slew in the FG area... Now the upper side in the HWY6 area looks like nice water.
jimsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
salterc
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySteel View Post
Closed for Steelhead. More specifically it is closed to steelhead and salmon unless allowed in the special regulations. Gales Creek does not specify that steelhead are open thus it is closed to them. Open for coho Aug - Oct. Artificial lures & flies only.

Here are the regs.....
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/docs...egulations.pdf
thanks
Old 01-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
otterduck1
Steelhead

Not to sound rude, but why do I keep seeing people ask about the regs on Ifish? REad them! I've seen a lot of bad reg advice given. One can never beat the horses mouth- the regs.
otterduck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
Seansquatch
Chromer

I wish it was open for steelhead lol. It has alot of Cuts all C&R but there fun. I did hook a jack coho in there and have seen adalt coho.
Seansquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
salterc
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterduck1 View Post
Not to sound rude, but why do I keep seeing people ask about the regs on Ifish? REad them! I've seen a lot of bad reg advice given. One can never beat the horses mouth- the regs.
hey dude, I have looked at the regs already. The problem is that this system mentioned nothing about steelhead. I live very close and have seen people fishing it this year. so relax
Old 01-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
jimsbuddy
Tuna!

Location: Close enough to hagg to hit it with a toss of a rock

Im sure we all read, its just we dont all memorize what is inside.

Quote:
jimsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
KeHols

Quote:
More like "About to be rude"

Any whoooo.

About the Gales Creek steelhead. I too fished it alot during my high school days. It had a very good run that not a hole lot of people targeted.

My uncle lives in Dilly right along the Tualatin River. He was at the spot where Gales Creek dumps into the Tualitin. He sees these two Fish & Wildlife guyes wading around in the mouth of Gales Creek. After watching for a bit he asks them what they are upto?

They were setting nets across the mouth of Gales Creek. They looked very surprised when my uncle spoke up. And at first didn't want to talk much. They finally told him they were trying to keep all the hatchery steelhead out of Gales Cr. They said they are trying to return Gales Cr. to a native run.

My uncle said thats fine, but why kill the hatchery fish? Cant you just stop putting in new hatchery fish? They gave him some long winded answer that included "There isn't enough money to manage these fish."

Sorry if this was a bit off track. But i loved fishing Gales Cr. And would like to fish it again some day.
KeHols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
SturgeonKing50
Chromer

Smile Re: Gales creek steelhead??

Used to fish it a lot years ago as well. Caught some fish that were pretty good and alot that were pretty tired if you know what I mean. I'm glad they closed it to fishing for steelhead. They need a place to be left alone to. There used to be steelhead in alot of these creeks in the Tualatin Drainage but that was another time and place. As for the regulations on Gales Creek , pretty much anywhere you can pull off it is posted.
SturgeonKing50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #11
Beefcake
Sturgeon

I can't remember if it was Pearl or Lil'Northfork that pointed out to me one time that the remaining Gales Creek steelhead are about the toughest steelhead we have in the western part of the state. Sure, we are used to the thought of steelhead going way up the Columbia to Idaho, but I had never considered the plight of the GC steelie... They swim up the Columbia, up the Willamette, up the Tualatin (have you seen the little cutout in the dam in West Linn that they consider adequate fish passage for the Tualatin?), then up Gales Creek to the backside of the coast range. I would love to have seen this run in its heyday.
Beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #12
PapaHog
King Salmon

Living Hillsboro and working in Portland some days I was just too pooped to drive to the Wilson and would go down to the Tualatin and fish for trout with a trout rod and barb-less hook as everything I caught was released.

I caught many large trout and you can imagine my surprise to hook up a very nice steelhead. Wow was that exciting on trout gear. I never got to unhook the fish as she got off a ways from the bank but this beautiful nate steelhead gave me lots of fun that night.

Happiness is having someone to love, someone to love you and someone to hold hands with the final years of this journey.
PapaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:59 AM   #13
Jacks or Better
Chromer

The Tualatin Valley chapter of Northwest Steelheaders distributes eggs in the Fry to Fish program and provides tanks for a lot of schools around the area. Being a retired teacher, and now a sub, I get to watch the kids tend 2 tanks at Tom McCall Upper Elementary in Forest Grove. I think a 3rd tank is now at the new charter school. All the salmon that are raised in those tanks are eventually released into Gales Creek. Trout go to Haag Lake where Wally Otto gives a great tour to the kids. They've been releasing these fry for quite a few years now. A big thanks to Coho Kid, education director at the state level and the local chapter for overseeing this great project.

Boat: "Dances With Fish"
Jacks or Better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 AM   #14
Nonates Buckheninigloo
Chromer

Lets hear some more.
This is a good post to read.
The good ol days, small creeks, and kids!!!
Thats what I like to read about.

Thanks for the posts.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #15
Texascat
Steelhead

Quote:
hey dude, I have looked at the regs already. The problem is that this system mentioned nothing about steelhead. I live very close and have seen people fishing it this year. so relax
Well said........ I like it!
Texascat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #16
otterduck1
Steelhead

Quote:

Fine I'll make myself unpopular and uptight here. I'm being called rude by a few of you- is this the good ole boy were too cool for reading the rules? There's a copy of the regs in my living room, the truck, the boat, and once and awhile next to the pot. And in response a remark by somebody else- no I don't have them memorized. It may seem that I'm picking on you- not you just a trend.

So back t what counts for this discussion read the Zone rules first and then go to the river itself. So the zone rules say as long as you can find clipped - go for it.
otterduck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #17
lilnorthfork
Ifish Nate

Scott - Musta been Pearl... cause I ain't that smart. Was swinging a size 18 hare's ear through a deep little slot (3' wide) with the 3wt. in the way upper reaches of the Tualatin a few years back when a steelhead chased it to the surface... with another one behind it. I about had a heart attack (think I might have actually fell over backward).

Jacks or Better. That is an affirmative on the tank at the new Forest Grove Community School... it came with Charlie. 3 of the students did a fantastic presentation on the lifecycle of the fish to the school board... good stuff.

I've heard stories of guys catching 30 steelhead in a day 40+ years ago... right where the creek crosses B street. Now it is so choked up in places it is hard to imagine anything can get through. Then again... these are steelhead. Maybe someday again.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #18
SCR Steelheader
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
I can't remember if it was Pearl or Lil'Northfork that pointed out to me one time that the remaining Gales Creek steelhead are about the toughest steelhead we have in the western part of the state. Sure, we are used to the thought of steelhead going way up the Columbia to Idaho, but I had never considered the plight of the GC steelie... They swim up the Columbia, up the Willamette, up the Tualatin (have you seen the little cutout in the dam in West Linn that they consider adequate fish passage for the Tualatin?), then up Gales Creek to the backside of the coast range. I would love to have seen this run in its heyday.
I Personally Saw 6 years ago underneath the gales creek bridge a steelhead I would consider to be close to state record standards, definitally a buck had 2 red stripes down the side, also there were a few other fish in the same tailout most I remeber being smaller bright steelhead, but keep in mind people it is open for silver fishing nearly all native only chance for a hatch would be a stray ( took a wrong turn off the willy ) and this a run that will hopefully build up and sometime maybe sustain a hatchery population, alot of pressure on this small system would not be good for the fishery. I'm not saying you can't fish it, i'm just saying whats better for the creek
Old 01-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #19
SCR Steelheader
Tuna!

Quote:
I'm not sure how long u've been fishing but i've always known if its not in the regs you cant do it, if theres a creek you wanna check out for fishing and it's not in the regs...you can't fish it, if theres nothing about steelhead....you can't fish them.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #20
Hell-B
Tuna! AKA Papermaker

There is a small fish ladder at the dam on the Tualatin.
Who knows why this dam is in place?
Several miles above the dam is a canal. It was hand dug by Chinese laborers to float cordwood to Lake Oswego for the old iron smelters. It also provides much of the water for the lake. It then flows down a spillway into Sucker Creek ( now politically correct Lake Oswego Creek) out to th e Willamette.
The problem with this is that there is no fish ladder. Many of the native GC fish smell their home coming out of LO and are trapped at a dead end. Sucker Creek enters the Willamette well below the Tualatn. I've always wondered why this is never talked about. $$$$$$$$
When I was young, would see hundreds of silvers trapped there. Also have some old pictures of the locals netting Springers that were trapped in the creek. And I mean bargefuls.
Last thought is how much good spawning water in the Tualatin itself was lost when this dam was put in. It makes the upper river a pond. The dam often washes out in winter and is easily removed. Just made out of wood.

The good old days are gone
Hell-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #21
SturgeonKing50
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papermaker View Post
Several miles above the dam is a canal. It was hand dug by Chinese laborers to float cordwood to Lake Oswego for the old iron smelters. It also provides much of the water for the lake. It then flows down a spillway into Sucker Creek ( now politically correct Lake Oswego Creek) out to th e Willamette.
The problem with this is that there is no fish ladder. Many of the native GC fish smell their home coming out of LO and are trapped at a dead end. Sucker Creek enters the Willamette well below the Tualatn. I've always wondered why this is never talked about. $$$$$$$$
When I was young, would see hundreds of silvers trapped there. Also have some old pictures of the locals netting Springers that were trapped in the creek. And I mean bargefuls.
Last thought is how much good spawning water in the Tualatin itself was lost when this dam was put in. It makes the upper river a pond. The dam often washes out in winter and is easily removed. Just made out of wood.
The majority of the good spawning ground on the Tualatin is from Gaston up thru Cherry Grove then up to Lee's Falls area. Rock bottom anyway. The Tualatin is mostly mud bottom as far as I know till you get up in that area. As for Gales Creek it has many,many miles of good spawning grounds up west and North of Forest Grove thru the town of Gales Creek and along the Wilson river hiway up into the Coast range. Lot better water than the Tualatin has. Wonder why they can't block that Canal off or something? I know , that would make too much sense right? Or perhaps an in depth study. That would sure help the fish. Just my
Old 01-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #22
Hell-B
Tuna! AKA Papermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SturgeonKing50 View Post
The majority of the good spawning ground on the Tualatin is from Gaston up thru Cherry Grove then up to Lee's Falls area. Rock bottom anyway. The Tualatin is mostly mud bottom as far as I know till you get up in that area. As for Gales Creek it has many,many miles of good spawning grounds up west and North of Forest Grove thru the town of Gales Creek and along the Wilson river hiway up into the Coast range. Lot better water than the Tualatin has. Wonder why they can't block that Canal off or something? I know , that would make too much sense right? Or perhaps an in depth study. That would sure help the fish. Just my
From the mouth to the dam is all good water. From there up the river has been turned into a mud bottom because of the dam. There is rock underneath. I don't think the canal will ever leave. Too much money around LO.
When you get above Roamers Rest, then it starts to be a big deep area that is a soft bottom. It's pretty neat area though. I took my sled up there for miles and miles back in the late 80's. Had to power across many logs. All you see is vegatation.
My 90 year old Dad says that they rowed boats clear to Hillsboro years and years ago.

The good old days are gone

Last edited by Hell-B; 01-23-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Hell-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:02 PM   #23
Seansquatch
Chromer

Guess what i saw today in Gales creek you guys. A Steelhead me and my friend wandered threw the woods and went and looked at how it has changed since the flood and as we were walking along it i saw one slip into a tail out nice size one to but it spotted us and darted away pretty fast im happy i had my polarized glasses on. I was near the Stringtown bridge for all you locals. I wish it was open to C&R for nates that would be fun but i gotta respect those fish and leave them alone when its closed. I cant wait for spring i love trout fishing in there.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #24
salterc
Steelhead

Quote:
This is sad. I grew up outside of forest grove and spent countless hours fishing gales creek. I remember in the mid 90's they were stocking steelhead. the fishing was really good for a few years, then they closed it.I know it was a native thing. If they really cared about the fish they would do something about the lower T. I would like this system to be healthy for our kids.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #25
Deanrt
Sturgeon

Way back in the '80s, say around '83 when I got out of the Marines thru '87 I used to fish it all the time for steelies. In fact right here on my desk is a picture of on I caught. Not real big but was a thrill to catch. Seansquatch mentioned a park, was there a tavern near it or maybe it was a store and a bridge in the park? Used to fish there alot. Oh yeah the good ol days
Deanrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #26
SCR Steelheader
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanrt View Post
Way back in the '80s, say around '83 when I got out of the Marines thru '87 I used to fish it all the time for steelies. In fact right here on my desk is a picture of on I caught. Not real big but was a thrill to catch. Seansquatch mentioned a park, was there a tavern near it or maybe it was a store and a bridge in the park? Used to fish there alot. Oh yeah the good ol days
anyone have any pics of fish caught there years ago? I'de LOVE to see some
Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #27
Deanrt
Sturgeon

If I was a bit more computer savy I could figure out how to put one on here, but?? I tried using my phone cam which is all i have to take a pic of it. Well i was able to email it to myself and get it to my documents but it was very poor quality. So until i figure this stuff out it'll sit here next to this pic of a big ol fat nook i caught on the Salmon river bout 10 years ago.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #28
Jacks or Better
Chromer

Deanrt, A lot of people use to catch steelhead at the Balm Grove tavern - paid 50 cents to get in. Had about a 3 to 4 foot dam/falls there. It's about a mile west of Gales Creek. Also a tavern right in town - Gales Creek Tavern. There's also a park and store at Glenwood out on the main highway. That's also Gales Creek. We fished every little creek we could find around Forest Grove when we were kids (1960's), Carpenter, Dairy, Gales Creek, the Tualatin. It was easy to ride out on your bike. We looked forward with anticipation every year. We grew up fishing. And now study and study show that numbers of fishermen/purchasing licenses is down - go figure. Kids are not growing up to become fishermen unless there's someone in the family - they don't even have the access we had years ago if they want to fish. And who are you going to find living under one of the bridges if you do ride your bike? It's not the same world out there anymore. Sad situation.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #29
cubsfan
Ifish Nate

Quote:
While reading is best, one could also assume that by joining a friendly web blog one could gather trusty information very simply. I have seen stranger questions. I think he was just throwing it out there.
cubsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:56 AM   #30
SturgeonKing50
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks or Better View Post
Deanrt, A lot of people use to catch steelhead at the Balm Grove tavern - paid 50 cents to get in. Had about a 3 to 4 foot dam/falls there. It's about a mile west of Gales Creek. Also a tavern right in town - Gales Creek Tavern. There's also a park and store at Glenwood out on the main highway. That's also Gales Creek. We fished every little creek we could find around Forest Grove when we were kids (1960's), Carpenter, Dairy, Gales Creek, the Tualatin. It was easy to ride out on your bike. We looked forward with anticipation every year. We grew up fishing. And now study and study show that numbers of fishermen/purchasing licenses is down - go figure. Kids are not growing up to become fishermen unless there's someone in the family - they don't even have the access we had years ago if they want to fish. And who are you going to find living under one of the bridges if you do ride your bike? It's not the same world out there anymore. Sad situation.
Don't forget about McKay Creek. That was my personal favorite.Between that and Dairy Creek we used to catch some beauties. Not only fishing , there was alot of other adventures to be had as well as hunting. I still crawl off in the brush every once in awhile in the spring. But don't tell anyone.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #31
redfish89
Tuna!

Back in the late 80's i use to catch at least 20+ steelhead a year in Gales Creek. In fact, in 1988 i caught an 18lbs. steelhead right below gales creek park. It use to have a strong run. I have not fished it since 1993.
redfish89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #32
salmontime
Steelhead

We use to fish McKay Cr. right in Hillsboro by the golf course and hammer them. Green rooster tails and Panter Martins were automatic. I am pretty sure I spooked a steelhead in there one day. Scoggins, Gales, Dairy, and the Tualatin all had and probably still have nice trout in them. We'd fish any where we could ride our bikes too back then. Fishing those creek with spinners made me a good caster. Rooster tails at BiMart for .69 cents a piece. Those were the good days.
salmontime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #33
hawgcatcher
Tuna!

When it was open, I caught several hard fighting fish, but released them to keep the run going.

The biggest problem was when trout season opened and the F&G planted lots of small trout. You would see so many people that could not tell a smolt from a trout and they would fill their limits with a mixture. That really hurt the run.

I occasionally still see fish at some localities but even if it was open, I leave it alone now.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #34
Wreckless
King Salmon

Ahhhhh McKay creek....My grand parents owned property just north of Hornecker Rd. MAN, was I spoiled. Numbers AND size. Beautiful native Cutts to OVER 20" yes, measured AND one day we (2 of us) landed 75+. We busted a LOT of brush, but EVERY spot held several trout. My dad made us C&R WAY before it was cool. Sure we kept a few back then, but only the injured.

My personal best was 9 on the Tualitan one season....Didn't hit Gales creek much, but I remember my brother hooking a Steelhead on a little cleo, on Gales creek on opening day, many years ago.. I think it's a good idea to leave 'em alone.

On a side note, when they built the dam in Scoggins valley (Hagg Lake) they trapped and trucked the fish over to the Tualitan for a while....ALL of the valley creeks used to have great fishing....Even Rock creek I'll bet there are still a few to be had!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher

Last edited by Wreckless; 01-24-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #35
SturgeonKing50
Chromer

Smile Re: Gales creek steelhead??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgcatcher View Post
When it was open, I caught several hard fighting fish, but released them to keep the run going.

The biggest problem was when trout season opened and the F&G planted lots of small trout. You would see so many people that could not tell a smolt from a trout and they would fill their limits with a mixture. That really hurt the run.

I occasionally still see fish at some localities but even if it was open, I leave it alone now.
You are exactly right my friend.They finally got smart and closed it for trout.Those smolts get after a hook and worm like crows on a June Bug. That and people not knowing did a lot of damage. The old creek sure looked good today
Old 01-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #36
Paddlefish
Chromer

Quote:

The dam was built in order to raise the river and lake levels enough to get steamboats from the lake upriver to the Hillsboro area. The river level needed to be raised just a bit. The dam is still in place in order to channel water to Oswego Lake, as there isn't enough natural flow from the surrounding watershed to keep the lake full. (Yeah, I suspect that most lakeside residents don't know where their water comes from and, given a choice, I'd prefer to swim in the river.)

Toting cargo up the slopes from the Willamette in order to transfer it to skinny little steamboats, then across the lake, up the canal, then up the Tualatin doesn't sound too efficent but consider the options: there were no roads and no railroads.

And there were plenty of dreamers.

See the book Willamette Landings. I'd give you the authorship, publisher (maybe Oregon Historical Society) etc., but I can't find my copy today (tragedy looming.)

If you've seen the Oswego Lake canal, you might think it unlikely to get a North Aluma Willie through it, let alone a steamboat, but that was the scheme. And, technically, it worked for a while. It was slow going, taking the boat to Hillsboro. Sometimes the passengers supposedly got out and walked across the oxbow portions while the steamboat went the long way around, cutting out deadheads and log jams as they went.

And then, almost simultaneously with the successful creation of the canal, the railroads came to the valley, rendering the steamboat system obsolete.

The dam between L.O. and West Linn isn't very high. In the summer you can paddle up to it and lift your canoe over the top to continue upriver. In the winter it can be deadly -- one of those low head dams with a smooth curl over the top and a deadly reversal wave below, like is common in the Midwest and East. (And there's no good portage around it either, so don't try.)

The dam doesn't actually back up the Tualatin for a long distance, and, therefore, doesn't really block any spawning water. The river is shallow, quick, and mostly rocky at Brown's Ferry Park, a couple of miles upriver and just below I-5, and just above I-5 is a series of rocky ledges which act almost like dams themseles. Just above the railroad bridge at the mouth of Fanno Creek is a shallow riffle where I can hardly get enough of a canoe paddle submerged to propel myself upriver.

The Big T seems sluggish because there are, literally, only inches of slope in the many crooked miles between Hillsboro and Tualatin.

My fishing history in that stretch involves mostly bass, though I've seen passing steelhead. Interestingly, every bass I've ever cleaned was belly-full of crawfish, which are generally a pretty good indicator of decent water quality, contrary to the usual badmouth sewer bashing the Tualatin gets -- mostly from people who've never been closer to it than the freeway, I suspect.

As for the tributaries . . . some of the most beautiful, black-spotted native cutthroats you'll ever see! I've caught them in Gales Creek and McKay Creek's snaggy depths had some monsters. (Yeah, this was in prehistoric times, in the 70s, when it was legal. Even then, though, it was mostly C & R.)

Likely my most mutant fishing experience of all time, however, was Opening Day of, I think, 1974. The Scoggins Creek valley had been cleared, just prior to the closure of the Hagg Lake dam.

No houses, no barns, no trees, bushes or shrubs at all. Basically a desert, with a small creek running though it, filled with scappy, beautiful cutthroat trout.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #37
nehalemguy
Sturgeon

This is a great thread! Please tell more!

E
nehalemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #38
Gopher
Steelhead

Back in the early 80's a buddy and I flyfished Gales Creek and Dairy Creek every Wednesday night in the summer. Had many great times with C&R trout. Scrapply little guys. Beer at the Balm Grove after fishing was also good!
Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #39
SCR Steelheader
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
Back in the early 80's a buddy and I flyfished Gales Creek and Dairy Creek every Wednesday night in the summer. Had many great times with C&R trout. Scrapply little guys. Beer at the Balm Grove after fishing was also good!

I hear to this day people see coho and winter steelhead spawning in bateman creek ( trib of gales )
Old 01-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #40
SalmonJeff
Sturgeon

A guy I go to church with hooked a big nate one march about 15 years ago up in cherry grove. so what would it take in a perfect world to return these stocks ? is it lake O, or what killed these fish off?????

great post and great stories.

If it ain't 40 inches it probably ain't 20 lbs.
SalmonJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #41
SalmonJeff
Sturgeon

is dairy creek still open ??? I will go look but I have heard rumor of steelhead still in Dairy creek around North plains!! within the last 2 years..

If it ain't 40 inches it probably ain't 20 lbs.
SalmonJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #42
SturgeonKing50
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrKid View Post
I hear to this day people see coho and winter steelhead spawning in bateman creek ( trib of gales )
Yeah, they spent some time and money fixing that access where it ran under the road by the Log cabin cafe. It is very cool and rewarding to see those fish so far from the Ocean. There is alot of these creeks in the drainage that used to have fish because I have seen them myself. It just takes time and money and knowledge and perserverance to repair the damage. I would love to see them get a good run of steelhead back into Gales Creek. It has miles of great water (habitat) for those fish. I would furthur support a catch and release fishing only or a no fishing type of scenario. I grew up on these creeks and would love to help put something back the way it used to be.We have got enough rivers to fish in, why not have one just dedicated to the fish? Hatchboxes? I may be dreaming but am sure I am not alone.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #43
SturgeonKing50
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonberry Jeff View Post
is dairy creek still open ??? I will go look but I have heard rumor of steelhead still in Dairy creek around North plains!! within the last 2 years..
Jeff: That is one of the creeks that I am talking about seeing steelhead in.Dairy Creek has several forks,Then Mckay Creek runs into Main Dairy Creek North a ways from Winco in Hillsboro, then it runs into the Tualatin south of Hillsboro. They all fall under the Tualatin regulations I believe. Artificals and catch and release only? Don't know for sure.Miles and miles of wonderful fishing and other adventures. I have been down them all many times. Lots of logjams and such but unless you have been there you would not believe the beauty and diversity of these areas.And the amount and type of wildife that you see is awesome. It is worth the trip.

Last edited by SturgeonKing50; 01-24-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 01-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #44
KeHols

I think i might be the reason for the closure of this fishery.

I grew up fishing all the creeks and rivers mentioned above. I did very little C&R. I would ride my bike, stash it in the brush. With a soup can full of nightcrawlers, a pack a #8 hooks and some split shots. All bought from Hank's Super Center with popcan refund money.

I would catch my limit, put them on a stick and ride home. I did this alot. And on the weekends i would drag my dad along with me.

I wish my kids had this opportunity. I would let them catch and eat just like i did. I know this is not the popular thing to say. But i would, and i wish i could again.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #45
Bad Wood 75
Chromer

When I was young, I would always fish dairy creek out by manning. My grandparents lived just up the road and I would always go down there. I used to catch a ton of fish in the creek off of worms and spinners. Crawdadtails worked well too. My biggest fish was about 18 inches, but one day my sister caught one that went 25 inches. Most of the ones that I cuaght were rainbows, with the occassional cutthroat. The last time i fished it, i caught a 16 inch cutthroat off of powerbait, but that was probably 8 years ago.
Bad Wood 75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:45 AM   #46
Meridian
Steelhead

Every time I drive hwy 6 and leave the wilson and onto gales creek I always think, boy these fish got the shaft, they have to take the long way around compared to the Wilson fish.
Meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #47
Paddlefish
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeHols View Post
I grew up fishing all the creeks and rivers mentioned above. I did very little C&R. I would ride my bike, stash it in the brush. With a soup can full of nightcrawlers, a pack a #8 hooks and some split shots. All bought from Hank's Super Center with popcan refund money.

I would catch my limit, put them on a stick and ride home. I did this alot. And on the weekends i would drag my dad along with me.

I wish my kids had this opportunity. I would let them catch and eat just like i did. I know this is not the popular thing to say. But i would, and i wish i could again.
If I ruled the world . . .

Speaking as a green, tree-hugging, leftish, liberalish, bicycle riding, canoe paddling, C&R, barbless kind of guy, (geez, how many confessions can one make in 15 seconds?) I think Oregon would be a better place if we were allowed one -- just one -- native cutthroat dinner per year. Just one fish per person would do. Cast iron skillet on an open fire would be even better. I don't think the total environmental impact would be too severe and it would help us really, really appreciate the Oregon we've inherited.

Of course, God would probably have to patrol it, with lightning strikes as needed.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #48
Amahnee
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddlefish View Post
Of course, God would probably have to patrol it, with lightning strikes as needed.

That's good!
Amahnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #49
salterc
Steelhead

It is nice to hear the stories from other people, they remind me of the days I spent on these creeks. If you have nothing better to say other than call someone stupid GET Lost!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #50
Seansquatch
Chromer

Its my Goal to get a coho out of there next year or at least a jack between me and my friend we lost 2 jacks. Since we like useing 6x or 7x tibbits or if useing the spining rods 4lb line and always barbless hooks.
I have a blast fishing Gales ive basicaly learned to fish in that creek and learened to fly fish. C&R steelhead would be cool so i could learn to steelhead better since i could go every day but i gota respect the nates and gettign caught violateing by just fishing C&R for them would suck.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #51
cubsfan
Ifish Nate

I remember fishing the Tualatin with ya buddy! Looks like you brought a stroll down memory lane to many folks! Keep up the good posts!
cubsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #52
KeHols

I have fished the Tualitin for a very long time, up untill they closed it down. I remember we would catch a couple of big carp each trip. But the last few years we didn't catch any carp at all. But we did start catching a lot of suckers.

One time we floated a upper stretch of Gales Cr on innertubes. We were wearing dive masks and catching crawdads. Most of the holes were packed with suckers.

Do these suckers have negitive impact on the trout or smolts?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #53
SturgeonKing50
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeHols View Post
I have fished the Tualitin for a very long time, up untill they closed it down. I remember we would catch a couple of big carp each trip. But the last few years we didn't catch any carp at all. But we did start catching a lot of suckers.

One time we floated a upper stretch of Gales Cr on innertubes. We were wearing dive masks and catching crawdads. Most of the holes were packed with suckers.

Do these suckers have negitive impact on the trout or smolts?
You know that is a good question. I fished Mckay Creek for many years and hardly caught any suckers, at least in the North Plains area. However we used to catch alot of them up high on Dairy Creek. ( Mountaindale area up). I guess it depended where you were. However all these creeks are interconnected, with the Tualatin being the mainstem with it flowing into the Willamette. I guess they could have spread thru the system, but I am sure that "some" suckers were always naturally part of the system. They seem to prefer some habitat over other areas. I will add that a large Carp or sucker on ultrlight gear is one heck of a ride. I have hooked Carp in the Tualatin that to this day I do not know how big they were. They may still be going. It was fun while it lasted.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #54
Rauly
Super Moderator

Has anyone ever run a boat down Gales Creek?
Member #618
LUCK is: Preparation Meeting Opportunity
TEAM: Snood Doods
TEAM: Pop Tart
Big Fish Make Me Happy
Rauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #55
Mr. Shannon O'Brien
Steelhead

Yeaaaaaarrrrrrrrrs........ ago it put out some dark chinook, and they used to post the pics at the Gleenwood store.

Every now and then you can see a few steelies paired up above the B street bridge, which is 1/4 mile North of the flashing yellow on Hwy. 47. wave your hand in the air and they bolt!

I don't fish it!

http://groups.msn.com/ThreeOBriens/shoebox.msnw
Mr. Shannon O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #56
Jacks or Better
Chromer

All seem to be confirming exactly the point I mentioned above - we will lose a lot more of our fishing opportunities because there is not the next generation of bike riding, worm catching, pole toting kids growing up fishing to retain all that we are fighting for. Other "things" are replacing the things we all did as kids - fish. Regs state inthe Willamette zone that streams for trout are C & R (except under spec. regs). Can't find Dairy, McKay, Carpenter, Scoggins in the regs. Gales is as close as we get and it's coho.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #57
Seansquatch
Chromer

Saw someone with a I fish sticker on the stringtown Bridge today in a old pick up with no tail gate at 2:30 looking around. Who was it? I fish that creek all the time in the summer, spring,and fall and almost never see other angler about 8 or so total last year.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #58
DirectDrive
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
Every time I drive hwy 6 and leave the wilson and onto gales creek I always think, boy these fish got the shaft, they have to take the long way around compared to the Wilson fish.
If I recall correctly, a former Portland-area fishing writer with intimate knowledge of Gales Creek once said :
"After realizing the travels of these fish, I couldn't kill one."
DirectDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #59
Deanrt
Sturgeon

Hey Seansquetch, that was my daughter and I. We were on our way back to McMinnville from St. Vincent's visiting my nephew. Got to FG and thought what the heck and went and checked out the ol stomping grounds. Looks as though the creek got pretty hight during the December storms. Man the park looked like it had a foot of mud in it. Place sure has changed in 20 plus years. The creek sure looked good tho. Where I saw you, in the white truck right? Anyway I used to fish that stretch below the bridge quite a bit too back in the day. "Old pickup" lol.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #60
Seansquatch
Chromer

I was in a blue VW Vanagon syncro. I fish that section alot from there to the town of gales creek. Almsot every day in the spring and early summer. Ya the flood shure has changed things.