Labrador Retriever or Chesapeake Bay retriever? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

View Poll Results: Labrador retriever or Chesapeake bay retriever?
Labrador Retriever 71 79.78%
Chesapeake Bay Retriever 18 20.22%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Howlemup
Chromer

Default Labrador Retriever or Chesapeake Bay retriever?

I am in the market for a Duck Dog and was wondering what you all have to say about these two breeds, and wich one you would like to hunt with.

Howlemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Rauly
Super Moderator

Default Re: Labrador Retriever or Chesapeake Bay retriever?

Heck I like both labs and LABS.
Member #618
LUCK is: Preparation Meeting Opportunity
TEAM: Snood Doods
TEAM: Pop Tart
Big Fish Make Me Happy
Rauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
fish-r-on
Steelhead

Heck I say get them both. Unless you shoot like me, then you will probably only need one. I would go with the black, chocalate or yellow one.
fish-r-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Oregon Sportsman
Steelhead

In my experience with the two breeds, Chesapeakes have always been outwardly aggresive towards me. That's not to say aggressivness is a bad trait. Some dog owners like that. I personally don't. Having been bitten by a Chesi, I may be slightly biased. I have dealt with three of that breed, and probably a hundred labs. I never had a Lab bite me, or even threaten to bite me. But I've been around 3 mean Chesi's and will never own one myself.

My personal preference: Chocolate Lab!

Allan
Oregon Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Get Bit
Ifish Nate

Quote:
In my experience with the two breeds, Chesapeakes have always been outwardly aggresive towards me.
I have heard of professional tainers that will not train a Chssie for this exact reason. Get a Lab!!!

Get Bit
Old 01-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
Critr Gitr
Ifish Nate

Location: Veneta (The Gateway to Elmira) West of The Peoples Republic of Eugene

Labs

I've know a few guys in the local retriever club with Chessies .. funny how they all get called by variations of the same name ...
"Come here " you son of a
"Drop it " you son of a

too stubborn for my taste but they physically some tough animals. As with any breed you get out of them what you put into them.. they just seemed to be more independent than most.

Katie Lynn 22' Sea Legend HT
Team Squid Marks
Oregon Master Hunter

Critr Gitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
BugSquasher
Tuna!

Labrador Retriever ... or in this case my dog's registered name of
"Oly of the Great White North" ... got him at 7 weeks for my 2 year old son .. perfect breed for children ... and perfect for hunting & water .. from their web feet to their abundant energy ... My dog spent 6 weeks with a trainer at 9 months .. learned his commands .. and now at 6 yrs .. still fresh on his commands and active.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2307.JPG (56.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg OLYAv1.JPG (69.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg OlyGracie.JPG (72.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_0047.JPG (180.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_0029.JPG (129.6 KB, 20 views)
BugSquasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
Limbhanger
Sturgeon

I owned a chessy and also did some training with a chessy breeder. I wouldnt hesitate to have another one. They are different than labs, more serious, business like and protective. They arent for everyone though.
Some people call them stubborn, but I think its more that they are more independent than a lab. Its hard to explain until you are around them for a while and can compare them to a lab. If I ever get another retriever it will be a Chesapeake. Oh ya, and since the Lab is the number one registered hunting dog in the U.S. your poll will surely reflect the Lab......which are obviously great dogs and you would probably have better luck with training a lab if you havent ever done it before.

Last edited by Limbhanger; 01-03-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Limbhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
Tar Heel
Tuna!

if i was hunting all the time in freezing cold water, I would get a Chessie, but otherwise, black is beautiful. They are much better house dogs, and just as smart, if maybe not quite as tough, and cold water adaptable. Before they had these dog vests it was probably a bigger deal, but I've seen chessies brake ice to get a duck that any smarter dog would've give up on!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
jnicholson
Ifish Nate

We get to see the best tempered and best trained Chessies at many a Dock Dog event. The cream of the crop as far as temperment are at these events because of the crowds and other dogs.

Almost every time there is a "problem" there is a chessie involved.

Get a lab.

John and Bucky
Old 01-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
KD Fisherman
Steelhead

My experience has been that both breeds are amazing pets and working dogs. Just ensure you have the hips checked as this is a known weak point of both breeds.
KD Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #12
Tilla
King Salmon

You need to be pretty serious if you select a Chessie, great dogs, but you need to find a real good breeder (very few) and have a strong commitment to the development of your dog. You will be taking the harder road, but there is satisfaction.
James from Idaho and Gooseman on this site can be good resources for info (we call them 3 fingers and Scarface respectively).
There are some pups in the future I hear.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:11 AM   #13
Crashin' Bait
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbhanger View Post
I owned a chessy and also did some training with a chessy breeder. I wouldnt hesitate to have another one. They are different than labs, more serious, business like and protective. They arent for everyone though.
Some people call them stubborn, but I think its more that they are more independent than a lab. Its hard to explain until you are around them for a while and can compare them to a lab. If I ever get another retriever it will be a Chesapeake. Oh ya, and since the Lab is the number one registered hunting dog in the U.S. your poll will surely reflect the Lab......which are obviously great dogs and you would probably have better luck with training a lab if you havent ever done it before.

Unless you are truely serious about the upkeep and training of a Chesapeake, GET A LAB.
Crashin' Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #14
Chesapeake
Sturgeon

I would say "If you have to ask, get a lab".

My family and I have always had chessies. We've also tried a few labs over the years, but once you learn to love a chessie, Labs tend to be a dissapointment.

"I'd have shot a bigger one, if he had shown himself first."
Deck boss on "J4".
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #15
Threemuch
King Salmon

I really wanted a chessie, I love the look and I like their bulletproof reputation. But in the end, I could not risk having a dog that was aggressive or that had difficulty hunting with other dogs.

Here are a couple things about chessies that influenced my decision:

My friend who has a chessie, who can't hunt with any other dog because it will fight, including his new chessie pup, calls his "the pit bull of the marsh". Or maybe that is what we call it. He hunts alone, alot. If you try to take delivery of a bird from him, you will likely be bitten or at least snapped at.

There is an old saying "Train a golden with your voice, train a lab with your hand, train a chessie with a two by four"

Look at field trial results. How often to chessies win? NFC Chessies? I know we don't all need a field champion, but it does tell something about the overall potential of the breed.

Ever smelled a wet chessie? Compare that to the smell of a wet lab.

The big selling point on a chessie is their never say die attitude and drive. They won't give up. I know plenty of Labs that fit this bill and will hunt far longer than I will, and I am pretty much a sunup to sundown kind of guy.

I really wanted a dog that wasn't "just another lab" but in the end, I realized that there was a reason they are not only the most popular dog in the swamp, but the most popular breed in this country. They are dang good dogs. Get one out of a good field breeding, and you are likely to have a great hunting companion and pet.

I still like chessies. I love the look. I love the reputation. It just wasn't the right choice for me.
Threemuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
98ramtough
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
I would say "If you have to ask, get a lab".

My family and I have always had chessies. We've also tried a few labs over the years, but once you learn to love a chessie, Labs tend to be a dissapointment.
I totally agree. If you have to ask or are uncertain, get a lab!

I have one of each. A chessie is definitely a harder dog to own. They are very independent and loyal. A pleasure to hunt with, but it took some work. They are very intelligent. My wife hates my chessie. He will do anything for me, but doesn't listen to her at all. Infact he will smile at her when she is getting mad. I get phone calls all the time starting with "your dog". She is right. He is my dog. He is 5 years old now and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

With that said, the next one will be a black lab. Labs are easier to train, easier to have around the house, just easier all together IMO.

The only downside hunting wise with my chessie, is I cannot call him off a live swimmer. I have tried and tried as far as training. If you wound a goose and it is swimming out to sea, he will go until he gets bored. Which can be HOURS. I have had him literally swim out of site, and come back an hour later with the bird. I put an ecollar on him, and when I hit him, he just rares his head back and keeps on swimming. Cripples getting away is almost never. He will always out swim them or tire them out. He can flat cruise in the water! I have let him out of the boat a mile from shore and he makes it to shore in 1/2 the time of my lab. He swims like a frog! Cool dogs, just a little extra work...

98ramtough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #17
James in Idaho
Ifish Nate

Hey, I can still count to 10 on all my fingers! Peake's are great dogs, but they are not labs and will not tolerate the same amount of pressure that a lab will. They tend to be a little less forgiving and have LONG memories. If they don't have a job, they will find one. Some are exceptional cat killers. Most modern breeders are breeding away from the overly aggressive traits (which were very valuable a 100 years ago), but some peakes are pretty aggressive, alpha type dogs. Yes, I've been bit while training both of the peakes that I've owned, but I've also been bit by 1 of the 2 labs that I've owned. If you are going to put pressure on a dog, you better be prepared to get bit. (all of the bites occured during force fetching) I've only seen two chessies that I felt should have been put down on the spot, but I've seen several labs that were just as bad. In fact the only "random" dog bites I've suffered were from yellow labs, go figure. As far as dog aggressiveness, the worst cases I've had any experiance with are goldens. If you own a chessie, be ready to hear the myths about them (no, you don't need a 2x4 to train one, they're way to smart for that unless you want a really mean dog), most lab owners who have never owned a peake will be happy to repeat them to you. And Tilla will tease you!

As far as working ability, if you hunt big, cold water a chessie will usually outpreform a lab, not necessarly because of talent but they are physically stronger dogs. Mine have scared me with the won't quit attitude, as a handler you have to watch so the dog doesn't unreasonably endanger itself. I think peakes are more intellegent than labs, which makes them more difficult to train, and will challange their trainers. They tend to bond to one person more than labs, which is why pro trainers often struggle with peakes. They also like to do tasks in a way that they want to do it, which can turn you hair grey at a hunt test and make Tilla laugh when he's judging you. There are plently of labs that are just as or more stubborn than peakes. Oh, and most pros will tell you that the worst dog to force fetch is a golden, they tend to be awful fear biters.

As far as which one is better for you? Lots of factors, what do you want to do with the dog (just hunt, test/trial, house dog, own cats, etc), how much time do you have, access to training grounds, etc? You really can't go wrong with a spayed female lab, that's about the best dice roll for a wonderful all around dog. Well bred labs are common compaired to well bred chessies, and the upfront cost tends to be far less. You should be able to find a good working lab pup between $500 and $1000, the same type of chessie breeding will start near a $1000. But if you do decide on a peake, be prepared to spend the time and you'll have an unforgetable, loyal to it's last breath hunting companion. Always remember Peakes RULE, Labs DROOL!

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #18
Wetwrk2
Steelhead

Chessies all the way!!! My first dog was a chessie. I have five kids, a cow dog, and cats. My kids have never been bit, in fact my dog has bit no-one that I know of. However my dog has saved my wife not once but twice because strangers tried to break into our house and jumped the fence into my backyard. I trained my chessie to retrieve not only waterfowl but just about anything I tell her to....including people. This might seem odd but a chessie is tough enough and has the endurance to save lives. Imagine a situation where you have a waterdog sitting in your pickup or by your side and you are watching someone dying out in the water. My dog will go get them and drag them in by the coller. Chessies were bred for this. More stamina, more cold weather toughness, and not hyper. Chessies don't start dog fights...chessies in general ignore other dogs because they think they are superior. The only time my dog gets upset is if she thinks the other retriever is retrieving her ducks. I hunt with other dogs and its never a problem unless another dog comes poking around her ducks. Don't be so hasty in looking for a dog, there are good ones and bad ones just like labs. Last time I looked there were only 4500 chessies registered into the AKC a few years ago. Quality beats quantity in my book, everyone breeds labs there are millions of'em...bad hips, bad eyes. If you want everyone elses dog get a lab...if you want a dog that protects your family, doesn't know when to quit a retrieve, get a chessie. My dog doesn't go sniffing other dogs, my dog sits quietly, she doesn't go running around all hyper. If she gets left out she quietly sits on my porch untill I get home. Look into it, the good breeders will pick out the perfect dog for you...mine did. -Seth
Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #19
suckerfish
Chromer

If the new dog will spend alot of alone time get A lab.

Last edited by suckerfish; 01-04-2008 at 09:57 AM.
suckerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #20
Teton
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in Idaho View Post
Most modern breeders are breeding away from the overly aggressive traits (which were very valuable a 100 years ago), but some peakes are pretty aggressive, alpha type dogs.
I do not need nor want an alpha dog in my home or in my blind. I am alpha (and omega) as far as the dog goes. (My wife rightfully doesn't see it that way though, as far as she is concerned ).

Seriously though, a dog that thinks either a) it is alpha, or b) the Master is the only member of the pack higher on the food chain than it, needs some more training. Sure, many pure bred working dogs have a tendency, at times, to think they rank higher in the pack than they should, but a dog that requires a tremendous amount of training for it to understand that all humans rank higher is unacceptable for my purposes. This goes for both breeds, and believe me, I've met some unruly alpha-type Labradors too which needed some serious work.

I know we are stereotyping here somewhat, but if my dog snapped at a hunting buddy of mine in the attempt to retreive a bird from the dog, the dog would go back to school until it clearly understands its place (that is, my school of obedience).

This thread has been a great read for me, having a lot of experience with labradors and no experience with chesapeakes. Thanks for the information, it is valuable, as always. I do not speak poorly of Chesapeakes, because they are a tremendous breed. If I was back on the ranch, under different circumstances, a Chesapeake might be a good choice for me.

Until then, I'm sticking with female Labradors again and again.

Last edited by Teton; 01-04-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Teton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #21
James in Idaho
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threemuch View Post
If you try to take delivery of a bird from him, you will likely be bitten or at least snapped at.

Gee, I was taught as a young man that it was at the very least rude to attempt to handle another persons dog. My dog won't bite you, but I very much doubt that he will bring you the bird either. He'll deliver to me, and me only if I'm there. But both of my peakes have gone hunting with friends, and have worked just fine for them.

Teton, you're right and it is very important for the dog to know who is alpha.

Uncork the Snake!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #22
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlemup View Post
I am in the market for a Duck Dog and was wondering what you all have to say about these two breeds, and wich one you would like to hunt with.
Pat,
I voted Lab, for one reason only......your little newborn. Labs are not very aggressive and do well with little kids. The Chessies are probably a stonger dog in the marsh, but waterdogs for most of us tend to be family members first and duck dogs second.

That being said I have hunted with Quack_Attack"s Chessie and it is a great dog. I know Sam has worked with his Chessie a lot and it shows. So I can say with certainty that they are a great breed and would make a great water dog for anyone willing to devote the training time.

So if a little stronger more agressive breed appeals to you, go for it.
But I might wait til your little tike is a little older.
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #23
Limbhanger
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in Idaho View Post
Gee, I was taught as a young man that it was at the very least rude to attempt to handle another persons dog. My dog won't bite you, but I very much doubt that he will bring you the bird either. He'll deliver to me, and me only if I'm there. But both of my peakes have gone hunting with friends, and have worked just fine for them.

Teton, you're right and it is very important for the dog to know who is alpha.
Well said.

The one I had WOULD NOT deliver to anyone else. He wasn't a biter, but he would drop his head and circle around to get to me. I always told my partners ahead of time not to bother. He hunted well with other dogs too, BUT... the birds he retrieved were his and he was proud to let another dog know it by hovering over the birds with that "Chesapeake" posturing if they got close. One time I was training him on marks across a big ditch full of cattails and when I sent him, instead of running down he went airborne trying to fly across the ditch. (He flew everywhere!!) Well, he landed short right in the middle of blooming cattails and had about 10 pound of fluff in his nose and down his throat. All I heard was choking and gasping. I thought he was going to choke to death before I could get down there and pull all that crap out of him. Had to be real careful of sticks and what not in the water because he flat launched on every retrieve.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #24
Chesapeake
Sturgeon

I always hear this talk of agressive Chessies.

Almost always its from people that have never had a chessie or never spent more than 5 minutes around one. I dont know where they get it from.

I've bean around the dogs for my entire 30 years of life. My Dad gave me my first chessie pup when I was 4 and moved to Alaska with my mom after the divorce. I've had chessies ever since and so have the rest of my family and friends. I've never yet seen a chessie do anything more than growl at a human. I've also never yet heard a confirmable first hand report of a chessie biting a person other than on the net.

I have a vet tech friend that was certain chessies were overly agressive unruly dogs. I think she had heard too many stories. She was surprised when she met my dogs.

My chessies have chassed away bears, growled at strangers neer our house, attacked stray dogs on our property ect.... but have never bit anyone.

I currently have 2 chessies an ausie, 2 horses, 2 pack goats, a new born, and a 3 year old. My dogs ignore the other animals and have never shown any agression toward the kids. If they had they would be dead. My 3 year old pulls tails, ears, ect... The dogs just walk away or stand and take it. Occasionaly they knock him down if they get too playfull and dont notice him.

Chessies are loyal dogs, and often to just thier master. Mine are no exception. They only slightly listen to my wife, and almost not at all to my 3 year old. Thats mostly because she never interacts with them except to yell at them.

My step dad hated my chessie Chopper. Chopper would never return a bird to him. Any bird retrieved was brought to my hand. All the chessies I have hunted with were the same. All items retrieved are brought to the master. I dont have any issue with that. My dogs have never had any issue hunting with other dogs. Of course they wont easily yield to another dog, but thats not a big issue.

I dont know that I've ever seen any breed that would retrieve to someone other than thier master if the master was present.

I was bit by a german shepard that ran out from under a porch and grabbed my leg while I rode my bike down the road. My step dad was bit by one of his black labs when he went out to yell at it for barking at night. Those are the only first hand dog bites yet in my life. When my Dad was bit my chessie was in his dog house doing nothing.

You can say they are agressive, hard to train, unruly, ect...... Whatever it takes for you to convince yourself that your Lab is a better dog. But I've yet to meet a person that owned a chessie for any length of time, that spoke negatively of the breed.

My wife has given birth to two kids while we have had 2 or 3 chessies at the house. I have many little relatives that often play with my dogs. I've never had any concern for thier safety, and if anything feel more comfortable knowing my chessies are keeping an eye on the little ones. A chessie will (or should) consider any new family members part of "thier" family, and loyaly protect them. My dogs have always gladly placed themselves in the ranks right below the humans and right above any other non-human.

"I'd have shot a bigger one, if he had shown himself first."
Deck boss on "J4".
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #25
Limbhanger
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicholson View Post
We get to see the best tempered and best trained Chessies at many a Dock Dog event. The cream of the crop as far as temperment are at these events because of the crowds and other dogs.

Almost every time there is a "problem" there is a chessie involved.

Get a lab.

John and Bucky
The Chesapeakes were just irritated because they were forced to jump into a pool full of dirty lab water! :tongue:
Old 01-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #26
Tilla
King Salmon

Well I am not an expert on Chessies, but I've seen enough behavior from those dogs to know when there are delusional Peake owners around.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #27
Teton
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbhanger View Post
The Chesapeakes were just irritated because they were forced to jump into a pool full of dirty lab water! :tongue:
Now, this kind of elitist doggie attitute gets you points in some circles, while it detracts in others.

At the dog show, kudos...fine, but in my duck blind, the pup that does his or her job without displaying an attitude gets invited back. By the way, I'm sure I would love a Chesapeake considering the type of water I hunt.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #28
James in Idaho
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilla View Post
Well I am not an expert on Chessies, but I've seen enough behavior from those dogs to know when there are delusional Peake owners around.
Hey, I might resemble that remark! But I don't think I delusional about peake behavior. If you go chessie, keep your sense of humor, you will need it. When they're working they can be pretty intense, serious dogs.....or not. Most of the time they're the original brown clowns. Wadda ya mean he broke on a DOUBLE in the master? The farther you travel and the more you spend on a hunt test increases the odds of clownish antics at a hunt test, I think chessies can read the checkbook.

My first one was an old school, barrel chested, stand offish, stubborn knucklehead. Tough, tough dog. Never started a fight, but didn't seem to mind finishing them (all were started by labs btw). Unlike my current one, old Brutus was a good house dog. He'd bug you for about a half hour and then go lay down and sleep. The ex would yell at him to get off the couch, and he would totally ignore her (I could have learned something from that). But if I had to travel out of town, I never worried about her and the kid at home. Most of the time he was a riot to be around. The best Brutus story was before I was married I lived with my brother and he had become interested in field trials. My bro was taking Brute out in the morning to train, which the dog tolerated at best (that single boss thing). He had been doing pattern work, and the one thing that a peake really can resent is repetition day after day. He came home early (usually didn't show up until after I had gone to work) with two bloody thumbs. Me: "what happened to you" Him: "your blankety, blank dog bit me" Me: "what did you do to deserve that" Him: "well, he was really grouchy getting in the truck, and after I got the wagon wheel set up I went to let him out and he growled at me, so I reached in his crate and he bit me" Me: " well, that explains one thumb, what happened to the other?" Him: "I was so mad at him I reached in with my other hand and he bit that one too" Me: "what did you do then?" Him: "I drug the crate out and dumped his butt on the ground, and we had a wiffle bat discussion, then did the drill" Me: "maybe tomorrow you should just throw some marks" Him "yeah, that's a good idea". Don't get me wrong, the two of them were the best of buds and hunted a lot together, and I think my brother cried as much as I did when he died. But that's a chessie story, and there are a bunch more! My current one Bob has the complete clown act down to a science, and there's not a mean bone in him. He's just about deaf now, just turned 11. Hopefully there will be a new brownie pup in the fall.

Uncork the Snake!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #29
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Rick & James, great reads on your Chessies. Very facinating to read the varying experiences.

I think this goes to show that Chessies, like any other breed, can have individual personalities that run the full spectrum just as with any breed. And picking any pup regardless of breed is best done by looking at the parents first.

Personally I think training a Chessie would be more work than a lab, but in the end I'm not sure it really matters.

Pat, regardless of what breed you go with, I know you'll love him and he'll love you.
Good luck in your choice,
Hunt'nFish
Old 01-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #30
ChrissyCarpCatcher
Coho

I have owned several Labs but never chessies, I don't hunt or train hunting dogs. I train service dogs though. I really think a lot of factors go into dogs. How their bred, how they are brought up etc etc etc the list can go on and on. Finding a good reputable breeder is to your benefit no matter what breed. I was shocked when I heard labs were listed as most aggressive. Could it be thats what most families own? I think so.

So as much research you can do is a plus!

good luck!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #31
nitrobass
Ifish Nate

I voted for Chessies on this one...I can still remember as a kid watching our Chessie Meg go plowing into Alsea Bay after birds. Helluva dog with an awesome drive. She did display some of the characteristics mentioned above - stubborn, protective, and very strong willed.

That being said I own a lab and couldnt be happier.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #32
blacklab
Steelhead

Black Labs

Great hunters
Great Companions
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #33
Howlemup
Chromer

To all of you who have replied to this post, I appreciate the info very much I'm pretty sure I have made up my mind. It all comes down to two things, what I want or what I need. What I want is a die hard duck dog with a never say die attitude, I have always been drawn to the chesapeake, to me they are what a true waterfowl dog is supposed to look like, a waterfowl poster child if you will. That being said... I think a lab is the better choice for me and my family. This will be my first duck dog and I would like to do most of the training myself, I believe that this would be much easier with a lab of good pedigree. I have a 14 month old boy and a little girl due in March, our plan is to wait until she is a year old and then purchase or puppy. I believe that a lab is just a better fit with my family.

I have had the privledge of hunting with several fine waterdogs this year. Before, I hunted for me. Now, I hunt for them. My life is forever changed.
Howlemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #34
jnicholson
Ifish Nate

Spotted Chessie!

a face only a mother could love .......

he he he

Bucky

Old 01-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #35
jnicholson
Ifish Nate

Taking your chessie out for a walk ....

he he he

Bucky

Old 01-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #36
Tom H
Steelhead

Dude with my .204 I could drill that bugger from so far he would not even hear it
Tom H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #37
Tom H
Steelhead

Come on when You look at this in the back of you rig ,you need no more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0174.JPG (143.5 KB, 17 views)
Tom H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #38
Limbhanger
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicholson View Post
Spotted Chessie!

a face only a mother could love .......

he he he

Bucky

Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #39
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

There was a time in America where there were several different breeds of waterfowl hunting dogs than what we have/use today.

At that time the Chesapeake Bay Retriever was the king of Retriever Field Trials (that were set up to somewhat "prove' the skills of waterfowl retrieving dogs)

In he early 1930s when the Labs were introduced from Britain into the U.S. that all changed.

There IS a reason why Labs are as popular as they are!

Old 01-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #40
willametteriveroutlaw
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt'nFish View Post
Pat,
I voted Lab, for one reason only......your little newborn. Labs are not very aggressive and do well with little kids. The Chessies are probably a stonger dog in the marsh, but waterdogs for most of us tend to be family members first and duck dogs second.

That being said I have hunted with Quack_Attack"s Chessie and it is a great dog. I know Sam has worked with his Chessie a lot and it shows. So I can say with certainty that they are a great breed and would make a great water dog for anyone willing to devote the training time.
I have been around a bunch of chessies and am on number 3.. One has had a couple of issues, but has been a great companion and friend through and through.. The other 2 have been as well. That being said, I have never seen nor had expiriences with Chessies biting kids (were only going off the 10 or so I have been around) Mine were never raised near children at all, but being at my dads house and lots of little kids coming to visit there has never been an issue beyond a little over tail wagging. My male bonded with the neighbor girl (2-4) at the time and was very protective of her. They are a great breed, There not big lickers and lovers like a lab and they become very bonded.

There not that hard to train, you just have to accept there going to some things there own way.

Last edited by willametteriveroutlaw; 01-06-2008 at 06:09 PM.
willametteriveroutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #41
Thomas Gilg
Steelhead

I don't hunt, but while considering a Chessie ~11 years ago, all my lab owning friends (including some who live field trials) gave reason after reason why not to buy a lab -- too aggressive, can't train, oily smelly haircoat, the list went on. 11 years later, no regrets with Riffle, a female. A bit hard-headed at time, but otherwise exceptional instincts to retrieve (way better than our yellow lab Rupert), takes an amazing amount of goading from other dogs before making any response, sturdy up thru winter steelheading, far less hair mess than the lab.

We also have a soft coated wheaten terrier, and Ballyshannon puts Ruffle (chessie) and Rupert (yellow lab) to shame when it comes to aggression and fighting with other dogs. If you think chessies are aggressive, please don't get a terrier! Oh yeah, Ballyshannon retrieves too, and learned from Riffle.

Picture of Riffle from last year, 10 years old.

--tg
Thomas Gilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #42
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

Chessies are a year-round dog. You can't leave them in the backyard all year, not have them around other dogs or people and expect them to get along. Be honest with yourself, if your dog will sit in the backyard 99% of time by itself, get a lab. I take my dog everywhere I can. Outside of hunting, she goes with me clamming at the beach, snowshowing, hiking, backpacking, and shes been to the top of Mt. St Helens several times. Any activity to get her around other people and other dogs.

Chessies aren't agressive, they are protective and there is a difference. A pitbull or chow, those are generally aggressive. They are more likely to go after somebody. My chessie will lick you to death if I'm around, but if try to reach into the back of my truck or get into my backyard when I'm gone she won't let ya. A friend of mine tried walking into my backyard when I wasn't there, and after the dog started growling he kept walking towaqrds her. He stuck his hand in her face and she nipped him. Not hard enough to break the skin, but enought to change his mind. A chessie isn't gonna maul ya, but if you ignore thier warnings and try and come into "thier backyard" or reach into "thier truck"they'll persuade you to reconsider. My niece can, and did hang, poke and prod all over my chessie and not so much as a growl came out of her. I worry about my niece when she's around the goats, I don't worry about her around my dog.

Chessies are a gruff dog. There is no way around it. There will be occasional barking, growling and nipping out hunting, but I have yet to see or hear of an incident that resulted in an injured dog or person. Just think of them as a dog that likes to rough-house a bit. But in return you get a dog that 9 times out of 10 is physically tougher and hardier than labs. And they just don't give up. Blackberries, barbed wire, tangled flooded timber; they will make thier way through it. And they will still be going strong, long after a lab is shivering in the corner of the boat.

They definatly aren't for everbody. They are a lot more work. You have to spend time with them year round. But most guys who have owned one and see what they are capable of in the field, won't ever own anything else. And for good reason.
Quaka Wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #43
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Well put Alex!
Yes I guess we've all been using the term aggressive when we should be making a distinction between aggressive and "aggressively protective".
Love that picture BTW!
Hunt'nFish
Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #44
TAF
Cutthroat

Well I have the best of both dogs. Mine is a Female that is 1/2 purebred lab and 1/2 pure bred chessie. She does not give up on a downed bird, is a great dog at home around my kids and she is an great gaurd dog letting me know if someone is on my property. She has never bitten anyone, but she sure can bark, and that "smile" of hers does make it look as though she is ready to bite. She gets lots of attention from the familly and has been the best all around dog I have ever had. I really like it when she breaks through ice to get a bird while my buddies lab sits and watches. If you can find a 1/2 and 1/2 mix like this you'll be lucky.
TAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #45
Got One!
Chromer

I dunno I've been around several CBR's without issue. CBR's that Ive seen are definitely more protective of the house, but that ends when they leave the house/yard to go hunting. If you have a dog that bites thats on your poor training of the the dog not the dog. I've seen Golden's and Labs that bite, not normal, but it happens, if the owner lets it happen early and does nothing about it.

As far as "judgments" on breeds other than Labs go in here it seems it is always a bit biased . Saying a CBR is aggressive and bites is not in line with the description of the breed, its an exception: (http://www.akc.org/breeds/chesapeake_bay_retriever/)

As stated with either breed get certs on hips from both parents, and get the best breeding you can find. In Oregon its not cold enough to make any difference as far as what the dog can handle water temp wise. My Golden loves the water in winter around here. I've seen both Labs and CBR's hunt in salt water bays, with a CBR a being a stronger swimmer in a tide change. CBR's are also a good boat dog as the water falls right off of them when they come out of the water up the stairs or platform, a lab doesnt hold water as much as a GR but isnt as dry as the CBR. (my GR is like a water sponge , he tends to stay wet for the day or until he is toweled off....4 times.) As far as I see it you can't go wrong with either breed Lab or CBR.

Last edited by Got One!; 01-08-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Got One! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #46
ORhunter
Steelhead

Like buying any dog, shop for a breeder who breeds the kind of temperament you're looking for. References are the only way to go and if you can't get plenty of positive feedback, keep shopping. Remember, "the poorest judge of a dog is it's owner."

I don't know where you live but have you ever considered a versatile? GWP/DD, WPG, PP???
ORhunter is offline   Reply With Quote