Orvis Spring Creek - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Flyfishers

Old 12-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Old Goat
Tuna!

Default Orvis Spring Creek

Anyone know where to get an Orvis Spring Creek. Had one that "disappeared" in a divorce. I know that there are probably better rods now. I bought mine in the early 80's. For the purposes of regaining my past, I would like to find one to buy. Any ideas where to get one? It also had a Ross reel size #2 that had a serial # of 13. That will never be replaced.

Old Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
Pete
Administrator

Default Re: Orvis Spring Creek

Oh, that was a sweet rod! Sensitive enough to fish 8x tippets and it felt like cane to cast. I'm afraid I am not much help finding a replacement, but good luck!

Report Game Violations!

Washington: 1 877 933-9847

Oregon: 1 800 452-7888
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
rob allen
King Salmon

post this on all the fishing forums you can and look around ebay

Last spring i found the rod I always wanted to match my orvis 10 ft 9wt "Salmon" A guy on the spey pages turned me onto a friend who was selling an 9'6" 8wt "Rivermaster" Now i have them both hanging on my wall.. they have mre sentimantal value than fishing value.. I always felt that these two rods formed a set and now i have it complete..
rob allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

I'll check with some of my old east coast friends about the Spring Creek rod.

I have a brand new Orvis 10 ft. for 10 wt. line (detachable fighting butt) that's never been out of its aluminum case for 15 or 18 years. I bought it as a backup to my Leonard Custom for "baby" tarpon. I never used it. I'll be putting it on the block soon. If anyone is interested, you can PM me. In the meantime, I'll be looking for the Spring Creek. There is a fellow in Switzerland (yes, Switzerland) who is licensed by Orvis to make custom Orvis rods. But I doubt you will be going there anytime soon.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:56 AM   #5
Old Goat
Tuna!

I appreciate your efforts. The Spring Creek is a 5 wt. Far cry from your rod. It is 9'2" and very light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait Bucket View Post
I'll check with some of my old east coast friends about the Spring Creek rod.

I have a brand new Orvis 10 ft. for 10 wt. line (detachable fighting butt) that's never been out of its aluminum case for 15 or 18 years. I bought it as a backup to my Leonard Custom for "baby" tarpon. I never used it. I'll be putting it on the block soon. If anyone is interested, you can PM me. In the meantime, I'll be looking for the Spring Creek. There is a fellow in Switzerland (yes, Switzerland) who is licensed by Orvis to make custom Orvis rods. But I doubt you will be going there anytime soon.
Old Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
Pete
Administrator

Another rod which is very similar from the same era is the 5 weight Henry's Fork. It's 3 inches shorter, but was made at the same time and is about the same sensitivity. I built mine on a blank ... you can't have it, but I'll let you play with it if you'd like.

Report Game Violations!

Washington: 1 877 933-9847

Oregon: 1 800 452-7888
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
TheCamel
Tuna!

I don't think that Orvis actually manufactures any of their own product, but like Cabela's has their branded product made for them. Maybe you can find out who made it, and then contact the actual manufacturer?

In my best Steven Wright imitation: How come Cowboys and Cowgirls don't become Cowmen and Cowwomen?
TheCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Snug Harbor
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Salt View Post
Anyone know where to get an Orvis Spring Creek. Had one that "disappeared" in a divorce. I know that there are probably better rods now. I bought mine in the early 80's. For the purposes of regaining my past, I would like to find one to buy. Any ideas where to get one? It also had a Ross reel size #2 that had a serial # of 13. That will never be replaced.
hey OLD Salt
I still have mine....if you realyy want it-its brand new still...
Snug Harbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
fishcentral
Tuna!

I still have mine also 5wt 9' spring creek . and i just got a silver label off ebay !

but there has been alot of henry's fork orvis rods on ebay running around 150 bucks ! heck i payed close to 400 for my spring creek in the early 80s . the closest you will find besides the brand new one above ! is ebay - look for any of the old model rods , they go for pretty cheep , sometimes under $100 . the newer rods just do not cast the same as the old orvis rods - i tried my silver label 10 ft. 6 wt out today with a couple different lines . its a mid flex 8.0 tip flex and even my daughter couldnt FEEL it with a #6 line on it , it threw a #8 s.a.system 2 camo sink line like it was nothing , with this line on the 6 wt it finally felt right ! but i didnt have a #7 line to try on it . all the fast tip craze and then linning them up for the rods today , i just dont get it ? a 6 should throw a six line and load with what its weighted for - but what ever ! hope you can buy that brand new one from snug harbor , thats quite a find - and offer !!! good luck

Last edited by fishcentral; 12-18-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling
fishcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

FC,
I have the same 6 weight. It's a very versital rod. I usually cast a 6 weight line or a 7 wt forward when I don't need as much distance. I use it more for big stillwater than anything. It's also an excellent nymphing rod and a fun summer steelhead option when its's not too windy and the fish are looking up. I broke the tip twice in the first few years after I bought it. Orvis replaced no questions asked. I'm not sure what you would get as a replacement now?

Wild Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
fishcentral
Tuna!

Thanks for the reply wild chrome!

not to high jack the thread , i'll send a PM !
fishcentral is offline   Reply With Quote