Steelhead Recipes - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Chrom3
Steelhead

Default Steelhead Recipes

Well seeing as its that time of year again.

I would like to see some good Steelhead recipes, I got some the other day and cooked it but yet it was kind of dry when I breaded it. Anyone have an awesome recipes for cooking Steelhead?

Thanks
Mitch

Chrom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
Okie
Tuna!

Default Re: Steelhead Recipes

Steelhead recipes and Salmon recipes are one and the same as far as I can tell.

Good Luck;
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #3

Hey Mitch, I tossem em on the BBQ plain, skin and head and all. flip, skin, season, flip, grab head with plumbers pliars, using lg fork peal off lower side, flip, peel, all meat is on the grill, cook hot, add yoshidas. I also fork off the grey fat and open up along the lateral line, seperating the loins from the lower section. mm good over smokin mesquite chips.
12244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #4
stlhddave
Steelhead

My favorite is to take a fillet and place it skin side down on a soaked cedar plank. Prior to placing the fish on the plank, I pour approximately two ounces of bourbon on the plank. (Yes, I know this seems like a waste!) Next, sprinkle the fish with sea salt, a liberal amount of FRESH ground pepper, and a light dusting of paprika. You may then cook it in the oven at 450 or on the grill. Either method takes about 10-12 minutes for the average size steelhead fillet. At about 8 minutes, brush on a coating of spicy honey barbecue sauce. Cook until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees. The reason to wait 8 min before putting the barbecue sauce on is two fold. First, it allows for the plank flavor to infuse the fish. Secondly, it keeps the sauce from scorching in the hot environment. I like to cook my fish at a higher heat for a shorter amount of time because it sears the outside, locking in the moisture, without overcooking the inside. In my opinion, nothing is a bigger shame than overcooked fish. Enjoy!
stlhddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
FinandFir
Cutthroat

I can't give his secrets away, but fellow ifisher Wellzy cooked some phenomenal steelie at my house last week. I'm sure he'd be willing to give the recipe if someone wants it... I'll see what I can do. FYI, my mouths watering thinking about it.

F&F
Old 12-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
s20055
Tuna!

Lay one fillet skin down on cedar, place on hot grill for about 6-8 minutes with the lid closed on the BBQ. Then, salt & pepper and place some crushed pineapple, sweet onions and a light coat of honey BBQ sauce over the fillet. Close the BBQ lid and cook until done...about 10 more minutes.
s20055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
yankemnbankem
Ifish Nate

Ok, Since Ive tried 5cents smoked salmon recipe (thanks man, it IS the best) I have made up a BBQ salmon using the same ingredients sans the brown sugar and it is to die for. I cook this on my traeger.

I throw all this stuff together by taste, smell and gut feeling.

1 salmon fillet
sprinkle on to your liking the following:

Garlic salt.
Celery salt.
Onion Powder.
black pepper.
white pepper.
lemon peel.
chinese yellow mustard (dried)
Dill weed.
(hope im not forgetting anything)

Baste on olive oil (you can also mix the ingredients into the olive oil and brush it on too)

Now I place the Salmon fillet meat side down on the traeger grill and setting on smoke for approx half hour.
Then I switch grill to 375 for another half hour.

Take off skin and discard. Flip the salmon over onto a plate so grill marks show (for looks and compliments of course)
Bring into the house and immediatly sprinkle on parmesan cheese.
Lastly add a few dollups of butter to top it off.

I guarantee you wont have any salmon left for lunch the next day!

Again, thanx goes to 5cents for the idea.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Crayfin
Ifish Nate

A simple one I like:

Steelhead fillet
1/2 mayo 1/2 sour cream
lots of dill
garlic if you like
hazelnuts

mix the mayo/sour cream with dill (lots of dill)
baste on fish (I like to let it sit on there for like an hour)
bake @ 400 for about 15 minutes (starts to brown a little)
Add hazelnuts--sometimes I set the stove to broil and toast the hazelnuts or just back for a few more minutes

That's it--tasty and quick!
Crayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
tcmom22
Fry

This is the best recipe in the world!
TYTY!
tcmom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
wulfdog
Fry

I invented this one for my wife who is a very picky eater. If she likes it, anyone should.

Chrome Steel-head fillet with skin on bones removed if you can. Mix 1/2 cup of real mayonnaise with 1 Tbsp of Dijon mustard, 1 Tbsp of lemon zest, 1 to 2 tsp of lemon pepper, 1 Tbsp lemon juice. 1 tsp of dried Dill or 1 Tbsp of fresh dill. 1tsp black pepper. Mix all that together real well. Lay fillet skin side down in a baking dish. Paint the coating mixture on the filet's real good then thinly slice a lemon and place the slices down the filet's on top of the coating mix. Place one or two pates of butter on top of two of the lemons towards the thickest part of the fillet. Then place cover on baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 30 min. Remove cover and cook till the lemons brown or place under broiler for 5 min to brown the lemons. test the fish for flaking then take an egg turner and lift the fish fillet off the skin and place on your plate with rice or what ever you like to eat with salmon. I leave the skin stuck to the baking dish. Sure good stuff. Squeeze on more lemon juice after it's done if you like. Add Cajun seasoning for a little kick, or anything else that you can think of. once you get down this basic coating you can do anything you want to it and it will be tasty. I've also done this recipe in 10 minutes in a broiler, so it's up to you if you want to do it fast or slow. Either way works well. Keep checking when using broiler it will get done fast.

Last edited by wulfdog; 12-15-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
wulfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
wulfdog
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankemnbankem View Post
Ok, Since Ive tried 5cents smoked salmon recipe (thanks man, it IS the best) I have made up a BBQ salmon using the same ingredients sans the brown sugar and it is to die for. I cook this on my traeger.

I throw all this stuff together by taste, smell and gut feeling.

1 salmon fillet
sprinkle on to your liking the following:

Garlic salt.
Celery salt.
Onion Powder.
black pepper.
white pepper.
lemon peel.
chinese yellow mustard (dried)
Dill weed.
(hope im not forgetting anything)

Baste on olive oil (you can also mix the ingredients into the olive oil and brush it on too)

Now I place the Salmon fillet meat side down on the traeger grill and setting on smoke for approx half hour.
Then I switch grill to 375 for another half hour.

Take off skin and discard. Flip the salmon over onto a plate so grill marks show (for looks and compliments of course)
Bring into the house and immediatly sprinkle on parmesan cheese.
Lastly add a few dollups of butter to top it off.

I guarantee you wont have any salmon left for lunch the next day!

Again, thanx goes to 5cents for the idea.
I really want to try this recipe. It looks great.
wulfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
luv2steelhead365
Coho

My wife does it like a crab cake!

I cook it until it just flakes apart!

She flakes it, removes any bones and adds

egg
bread crumbs
celery
onions
little mayo

and anything else that sounds good

Mixes well and makes into a patty!'

Fry in some oil and enjoy!

Make a dipping sauce out of mayo, hot sauce, horse raddish or whatever floats yer boat.

Have a beer and enjoy
luv2steelhead365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #13
hot shot
Steelhead

1/4 cup butter melted
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
barbeque sauce
Melt butter then add paprika and cayenne pepper then bast it on the fish lay it on the bbq grill i have a grill plate i use or cedar plank works to cook it for 20 minutes or till it flakes apart,
Then here is the wierd part I didnt know if I would like it but it is very good, you put BBQ sauce on fish when it is done cooking and let it cook an additional 2-3 minutes to get that glaze on it take your spatula and just spoon it right on the plate it will peel away from skin with spatula.

Very moist and tasted awesome never have had any complaints on this yet also works well with just trout to, never tried on salmon yet
hot shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
Artwo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot shot View Post
1/4 cup butter melted
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
barbeque sauce
Melt butter then add paprika and cayenne pepper then bast it on the fish lay it on the bbq grill i have a grill plate i use or cedar plank works to cook it for 20 minutes or till it flakes apart,
Then here is the wierd part I didnt know if I would like it but it is very good, you put BBQ sauce on fish when it is done cooking and let it cook an additional 2-3 minutes to get that glaze on it take your spatula and just spoon it right on the plate it will peel away from skin with spatula.

Very moist and tasted awesome never have had any complaints on this yet also works well with just trout to, never tried on salmon yet
hot shot, instead of BBQ sauce try Yoshida sauce. Really really good.................

Last edited by Artwo; 03-03-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Artwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
weirdbeard
Ifish Nate

Glass baking dish ,line with tinfoil (makes cleanup easy) steelhead fillet skin side down . Cover with Italian salad dressing and bake YUM
Old 03-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #16
coach
Steelhead

best recipe i have ever had we learned from some hawaiian friends of ours that works for salmon and steelhead.

1 to 1.5 cups of mayo
2 to 4 tablespoons of oyster sauce( you can find it in safeway or any other store it is a dark brown and thick sauce)
pepper

mix the mayo, oyster sauce and pepper together . it should look about the color of coffee mixed with cream, very light brown.
spread the mixture allover the fillets or pieces
bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes until the fish is just done.
serve it over hot rice or just by itself, do not add salt until you taste it because it can be to salty for some if added during cooking.

Last edited by coach; 03-16-2011 at 06:58 PM.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
fishingnut71
Coho

sour cream and taco seasoning. mix togeather and cover. awesome
fishingnut71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #18
The_Bone
Steelhead

make a foil trayand put your fillet on, cover your fillet with a nice thick layer of parmesian cheese then cover with melted butter/garlic. throw it on the bbq till done.
serve with butter/herb angel hair pasta and a nice fresh salad.

Last edited by The_Bone; 03-31-2011 at 11:15 AM.
The_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #19
salmonmoocher12
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingnut71 View Post
sour cream and taco seasoning. mix togeather and cover. awesome

gotta try this!!
salmonmoocher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
Justinfish
Steelhead

well my buddy just pulled out a 10lb summer steelhead today at muldrum bar. He was very kind and gave me half of it. Smoltcatcher by the way is his name on here. I am going to ceder plank it on the grill salt and peper cook for about 8 min then a coating of honey mustard bbg sauce cook till 145 on the inside and enjoy. Simple is better taste the fish..
Justinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #21
seahawk
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayfin View Post
A simple one I like:

Steelhead fillet
1/2 mayo 1/2 sour cream
lots of dill
garlic if you like
hazelnuts

mix the mayo/sour cream with dill (lots of dill)
baste on fish (I like to let it sit on there for like an hour)
bake @ 400 for about 15 minutes (starts to brown a little)
Add hazelnuts--sometimes I set the stove to broil and toast the hazelnuts or just back for a few more minutes

That's it--tasty and quick!

To add some tasty sparkle to this one, add 1-2 tablespoons of pickle relish to the mayo/sour cream.

Yum!
seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #22
Justinfish
Steelhead

]Well thought I would post a pic of what Im doing with some steelhead fresh from yesterday catch. Half of it going with s&p and honey bbq to finish.. My wife wants some with dill and mayo and sour cream and garlic. so both are going to cooked on ceader planks soaked in beer and whiskey for 30 min. Now just wating on the wife to get back with the propane valve the broke as soon as I turned on the grill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steelhead.jpg (163.0 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Justinfish; 05-01-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Justinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #23
mben2979
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinfish View Post
well my buddy just pulled out a 10lb summer steelhead today at muldrum bar. He was very kind and gave me half of it. Smoltcatcher by the way is his name on here. I am going to ceder plank it on the grill salt and peper cook for about 8 min then a coating of honey mustard bbg sauce cook till 145 on the inside and enjoy. Simple is better taste the fish..
yummy
mben2979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:01 AM   #24
duckslayer
Tuna!

Well, I experiment on a lot of fish and I think my new favorite recipe for salmon/steelhead is: give it a good rub with McCormack grill mates Applewood rub, sprinkle with shredded mexican blend (or whatever kind of cheese you like), sprinkle with crumbled bacon (I use the stuff in the bag from costco). Cook till done, I do mine on the Traeger with Maple pellets.
duckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #25
steeliebill
Steelhead

my two favorites are simple 2'' thick steaks marinated in lawrys steak and chop or lemon pepper with a tbs of garlic oil bout 20 min each side and bbq till med rare!!!!!!!yum yum
steeliebill is offline   Reply With Quote