Truck Canopy Lift Systems... - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 11-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Gilligan
Steelhead

Default Truck Canopy Lift Systems...

I was wondering if anyone knew of a "Lift System" for removing and storing canopies that could be done by "one" person.

I "dont" have a garage or carport so I cannot do a pulley system attached to the ceiling.

It needs to be independent so I could do this in the driveway.

Thanks for the help.

Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Boats
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Truck Canopy Lift Systems...

Sorry. Wish I could be of more help. Not sure how it'd be done without something like a ceiling to lift from.
How about trees? Got any of them?
Old 11-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Chrome Bumper
King Salmon

My system is called kids, a buddy or neighbor system works too.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
Don Becker
King Salmon

When campers first became popular, whey were removed and replaced with a system very similar to these: The old ones do still turn-up from time-to-time - - 'likely needing some maintenance and repair but otherwise serviceable . . .

Put a WTB ad here on the classifieds - - some ifisher has an un-needed set of these out in his/her shed . . .

Search Craig's List, Thrifties, etc

Don

Don Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

We have the same problem. We have a garage but it is too low to accomodate removal of a canopy. I would like to find something that is on rollers (with a brake system), and a rack of sorts, like made out of heavy duty steel, that we could pull the truck out of the garage, roll the rack over the canopy, lift it off, then roll the canopy back into the garage for storing until we want to put the canopy back on. Or something to that affect. NOW..anyone know of such an thing? Or whether that would work or not? Or if you know anyone who could build one?
MsOutdrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
DAB
King Salmon

I don't think that you are going to find anything except for the old camper jack thing that you can just go out and buy off the shelf. It could be done with cables , pulleys and a couple of small boat winches , and a couple of two by fours.
DAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsOutdrs View Post
We have the same problem. We have a garage but it is too low to accomodate removal of a canopy. I would like to find something that is on rollers (with a brake system), and a rack of sorts, like made out of heavy duty steel, that we could pull the truck out of the garage, roll the rack over the canopy, lift it off, then roll the canopy back into the garage for storing until we want to put the canopy back on. Or something to that affect. NOW..anyone know of such an thing? Or whether that would work or not? Or if you know anyone who could build one?
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Quote:
If you can get the truck into the garage you can use a pully system.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
Don Becker
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickFish View Post
If you can get the truck into the garage you can use a pully system.
That's kinda' what I thought too. The pulleys don't have to be over the top of the canopy, they can be outboard to the canopy - - 'seems like as little as an inch (more would be preferred, of course) of lift-height would do it. I've done "stuff" like that - - but, their circumstance may be very unusual. Don

Old 11-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Becker View Post
That's kinda' what I thought too. The pulleys don't have to be over the top of the canopy, they can be outboard to the canopy - - 'seems like as little as an inch (more would be preferred, of course) of lift-height would do it. I've done "stuff" like that - - but, their circumstance may be very unusual. Don
The item I used was called the Harken Hoister, as long as there is a ceiling over the truck it will lift the canopy off the truck. U had them customize mine with a linger lift but in the end didn't need it. I'll sell mine here shortly as I don't use it anymore.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:53 PM   #10
dog
Steelhead

Gilligan,

i built a system with 4 trailer tongue jacks mounted on aluminum posts(scrap metal from cherry city recycle). i used barn door track for the cross members. There is other reinforcing at the bottom and sides too to hold it all steady but I can back in in my back yard and load and unload my gem top steel canopy by myself in about 15 minutes. I don't have to have the truck in perfect spot either as track slides front and back perpendicular to the truck and 6 inch drop chain allows for some movement forward and back. It connects to the rack on my canopy. I raise it off the pickup, drive out, could leave it there but I then put some aluminum channel across the sytem in front and back, from side to side, and lower the canopy down on that for long term storage and stability in wind. I wish I could post a picture but i don't have the camera, knowledge etc. It works pretty slick but was alot of work to build and not cheap either. If you can imagine a camper jack sytem and then lowering your camper down on saw horses or what ever you have the general idea. PS. You also have to be able to weld aluminum to do this. Aluminum is $2.50 a pound at Cherry city right now.
I would also suggest you stop in there at the leer/gemtop canopy accesories place right there where you live. they have a really neat hoist if you had the garage and rafters but they might have an idea for you too. Good luck!!!
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #11
GSD
Ifish Nate

If your canopy isn't a heavy monster, something like this might be easy to use:

found this at mypickup(DOT)com

Bill{GSD}
GSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
Gilligan
Steelhead

Dang that may be the ticket!

You are the man, Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD View Post
If your canopy isn't a heavy monster, something like this might be easy to use:

found this at mypickup(DOT)com

Bill{GSD}
Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #13
Boats
Ifish Nate

Looks like the prize should go go GSD
Old 11-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #14
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

One would think if we could get the truck in the garage, we could use a hoist system however, because of the slant of the driveway, we can only pull the truck in frontwards, we cannot back it in with the canopy on it..We tried to figure out how we could possibly use the lift system in the garage but it just won't work for us...its been awhile since we tried to figure it out...we probably need to revisit that just to make sure since you guys have been very informative. Thank you.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:02 AM   #15
Don Becker
King Salmon

Quote:
One would think if we could get the truck in the garage, we could use a hoist system however, because of the slant of the driveway, we can only pull the truck in frontwards, we cannot back it in with the canopy on it..We tried to figure out how we could possibly use the lift system in the garage but it just won't work for us...its been awhile since we tried to figure it out...we probably need to revisit that just to make sure since you guys have been very informative. Thank you.
There's the missing piece that makes your problem make sense. I can't think of a practical way to overcome that one. Best of luck. Don

Old 11-26-2007, 05:32 AM   #16
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Becker View Post
There's the missing piece that makes your problem make sense. I can't think of a practical way to overcome that one. Best of luck. Don

I know, Don...good communication is such an art!!! I haven't mastered it yet...even after 61 yrs.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:48 AM   #17
Don Becker
King Salmon

Quote:
I know, Don...good communication is such an art!!! I haven't mastered it yet...even after 61 yrs.
Yea but, we're still in there a tryin'! Don