HELP, what to do about transducer? Lowrance - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 11-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Chum Bucket
Steelhead

Unhappy HELP, what to do about transducer? Lowrance

I need some guidance about buying a new transducer. Im sure my friends at IFish can help with the decision. First of all, what type of transducer do you have?
-transom mount
-thru hull
-shoot thru/in hull
-other?

I have a Lowrance LCX18C finder that needs a new transducer. I have the 600W transom mount that has been replaced once before. Im considering purchasing a 600W bronze thru hull, but that would require another hole in my hull below the waterline. The transducer itself is about 3 x 5 an I would have to install a fairing block too to compensate for the deadrise (deep V). The fairing block is about 5 x 12 and would extend roughly 1.5 down. Some websites state I may lose 1-2 knots because of this. I have a 28 foot deep-vee with a 454 MPI Bravo 3 and have adequate power, not an overabundance. This transducer set up is $150, not sure if the high speed fairing block is included. The idea is the thru hull would give me better performance at higher speed especially looking for schools of longfins or bottom fishing. . Right now, my sonar is worthless at any planing speed due to turbulence.

So I did a little research and found out Airmar Technology makes most, if not all, of the transducers for all sonar manufacturers. They make an angled "B164" 1000W thru hull which would not require a fairing block. The product brochure even says it can be interfaced with any sonar unit. The best part is the installation would be a breeze since I have a Hummingbird depth sounder that the OEM installed. Its transducer is 2 like the B164. Its cute, but not all that helpful. The big issue is the B164 price, $600-$800. I havent researched the price too much, but getting a higher powered transducer would undoubtedly help with target discrimination at depth.

Im looking for some thoughts on what I should do? I originally thought the fishfinder unit dictated how much power went to the transducer, but its the transducer that determines that. If you have either type of thru hull transducer, Id love to hear about your experiences. It seems either thru hull will work better that what I have. I love my Lowrance when it works properly, but the transom mount transducer is not the way to go on my application. Maybe the B164 will let me look for fish at 15-20 knots instead of a troll speed.

Last edited by Chum Bucket; 11-13-2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: font too small, needed a magnifying glass
Chum Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
chucks electric
Steelhead

Default Re: HELP, what to do about transducer? Lowrance

hello, there are two ways you can go first a shot through the hull works but you loose some clarity, a through the hull transducer is the ideal way to go. with a fairing block you wont loose any speed. you still need the mfd to translate the data so a high end transducer may not give you any more info than what a lower cost unit will provide.
lowrance claims that they make there own transducers maybe this explains why they fail?
chucks electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Chum Bucket
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks electric View Post
hello, there are two ways you can go first a shot through the hull works but you loose some clarity, a through the hull transducer is the ideal way to go. with a fairing block you wont loose any speed. you still need the mfd to translate the data so a high end transducer may not give you any more info than what a lower cost unit will provide.
lowrance claims that they make there own transducers maybe this explains why they fail?

An update...

Lowrance does make their own ducers however everyone I spoke to (who was willing to give an honest opinion) says the quality is not as good as Airmar(?) I've had great luck with Lowrance in the past which is why I'm frustrated now.

According to my manual, the LCX-18C is 800W/1KW powered unit. If I am running a 600W ducer with an 800W output, this may be the problem in a nutshell. I suspect the Lowrance transducer is only 600W, but cannot prove it at the moment. Airmar doesn not make a plug and play 600W ducer for my unit...coincidence?

Airmar makes a B164 1KW tilted element WITH a 7 pin Lowrance connector. The local distributor says this ducer is about $625, but reassures me I will not be disappointed with the performance. Anything is better than what I've got at this moment! Shops doing sonar ducer installs are going to these tilted element ducers. The only snag is the temp sensor on the ducer won't function properly. The new ducer has the blue connector, not the grey one like I currently have. Not a problem since I can install a another secondary temp sensor.

I just want to be able to see fish traveling at 20 knots. Would like to be able to see some halibut moving about in the deep holes too!

"but it’s the transducer that determines that."-actually the sonar head controls the power not the ducer.

I'll let you know what I else I find,
CB

Last edited by Chum Bucket; 11-20-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: FIx incorrect info
Chum Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
tomictime
Sturgeon

airmar
even the lowly P-66 is better than the dual frq skimmer Lowrance. I have owned both. I also have a Airmar TM-258 or maybe 258, which is the hi end 1KW transom mount. Check that out if you do not want a thru hull. it is available w lowrance plugs.

i have a spare P-66 w low connectors in blue, you are welcome to try that if you like. You can also see the TM-258 in Desmoines sometime, PM me.

Last edited by tomictime; 11-20-2007 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added stuff..
tomictime is offline   Reply With Quote