Advice on Goose and Duck Calls - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 10-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
Tar Heel
Tuna!

Default Advice on Goose and Duck Calls

The selection of quality calls has become staggering over the last couple of years. I know there are many ''application'' calls, e.g., timber, duck full of rice, cacklers,..., but if a guy wanted to get one single reed duck and one short reed goose call for general applications, what would be the better choices? Spending $100 per call once is one thing, but at these prices, mistakes are expensive. Foiles, Saunders, RNT... ?

Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
steelheadslayer
King Salmon

Post Re: Advice on Goose and Duck Calls

AS for a goose short reed goose call, I think the Zink LM-1 is one of the best, Saunders also has some good ones where the I5 KLR is probably the best all around for all geese.
For ducks, numerous calls come to mind, I think any of the Buck Gardner acrylics are good as are the Zink XR-2 or the PH1 or 2 are good.

You're going to get tons of responses on this, so i suggest you go into Sportsmans and give your lungs a workout. You should be able to get an idea of which call works for you better than others.
Immediately they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:20

"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em"-Phil Robertson
steelheadslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

Default Re: Advice on Goose and Duck Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadslayer View Post
You're going to get tons of responses on this, so i suggest you go into Sportsmans and give your lungs a workout. You should be able to get an idea of which call works for you better than others.
I think that's a great suggestion. It's not a bad idea to ask like your doing, too, because you "grow into" calls as your abilities change and you get used to them. You don't want a call that won't grow with you. If I had to be restricted to one call and was trying to feed my family to survive, I would take a Saunders Traffic call (maybe an I-5 KLR if it was here in the valley only). For ducks, an RNT, you can't really go wrong with any of them- short barrel, daisy cutter, something smallish, even a Timbre, though I've only blown one of them, probably not an MVP or original.
Dave
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
DukAddict
Ifish Nate

When it comes down to it I believe it all depends on what fits you, AND where you are hunting. I am one of those people that have tried out just about every call maker on the market and I have finally found one that fits my calling style and the type of birds I am targeting. From ducks to geese I don't think you can beat a call made my Bill Saunders. Bill has worked with some of Oregon and Washingtons best duck and goose callers to design the best calls for our specific area. If you are looking for a true cackler call, his BC MINIMA or I5KLR cannot be beat. If you are looking for a Honker call to target those bird birds in September then his Red Zone or GP short reed calls are also top of the line.

In the field I am blowing Bill's Coupe duck call and for geese I am blowing his BC minima, Traffic, and Red Zone short reed calls. So, if you are looking for a call specific for our area, I'd say that Bill's calls have been tested in our area and proven more then any other call.

Brett Neffendorf

BEAVER NATION
DukAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
wife&3kids
Chromer

I think Saunders calls are a safe bet. Tried and true by a ton of people in our area, which has something to do with why I buy them.
I think the point that your ability will change with the call is a good point.
I still can't call worth a beans, but spend probably 5 hours per week blowing my I5 KLR right now because I want to get better. I used to not like it because it didn't make the sounds I was trying to make. Now I love it as my ability has gotten a little better (still sucks). I have a BC Minima and love that call as well but it just doesn't get used much.

For ducks, I got a Saunders Duck call and love it..... All around good call, but it is a double so if you need more volume then you might not like it as much, but it seems to have plenty of volume for me at this point in my calling ability.

Here's the sad part... I have bought so many calls trying to make myself a better caller and finally realized that I need to stick with one and use it....
I bought a Folies $150 goose call, then a $130 Iceman, and now a $150 Red Zone.... Boy am I stupid..... Now I am just blowing the Red Zone and am going to work with it..

One thing i noticed is that now that I have been blowing my I5 for a few months daily all day in the car (PEople look at you funny thinking you are smoking a pipe), is that I am having a brutal time with the different blowing honker calls. I had worked for months getting in shape prior to September and thought I had made some good progress... now I can't blow the honker call to save my life...

Summary:

My vote

Goose Call for Valley - I5 KLR
Duck Call for Valley - Saunders Gravity
Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Bootstrap Bill
Chromer

I really like the sound of the RNT Quackhead line of calls they sound great for very little money.
Bootstrap Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Tar Heel
Tuna!

Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll try a Saunders- gotta like the local guys. It's funny, but the one I have been using is one of the ones D. Smith says ''probably not.'' It probably needs a tune, but always sounded a little too high pitched/metalic. A guide tried it and agreed.I will do a little solo a sportsman's and try not to embarrass myself too bad- sure hope none of you guys are around when I'm there. As grandpa said, '' level the barrell.''
Old 10-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
Threemuch
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar heel View Post
Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll try a Saunders- gotta like the local guys. It's funny, but the one I have been using is one of the ones D. Smith says ''probably not.'' It probably needs a tune, but always sounded a little too high pitched/metalic. A guide tried it and agreed.I will do a little solo a sportsman's and try not to embarrass myself too bad- sure hope none of you guys are around when I'm there. As grandpa said, '' level the barrell.''
You bring up a funny point. I never want to call in stores either, so as not to draw attention to my generally bad calling. I see the way that guy behind the counter is looking at me. Unfortunately, I have gotten that look in the blind too.

I am a hack, and I know it. So I am cheap when it comes to call. No point in owning a ferarri if you can't drive. But I can occationally turn a duck or goose and even once in a while convince them to land. So I will give you the cheap skate low talent view point.

My favorite duck call is my Echo Timber double reed. I like that call alot, and the poly version is cheap, like 35 bucks. I have a quackhead J frame too, it's a single reed and a bunch louder. I think that is like a poly version of the RNT original. I am still working on my single reed calling before I step up to a $100+ call. Don't forget a whistle. Highly effective in close, and easy to blow.

As far as goose calls go, I carry 3. Around NW Oregon, you need a honker for big birds, and a squeaker for the little tavs and cacks. I use three different short reeds, a winglock delrin for honkers, some cheapo squeaker I picked up at the sportsmans show because i couldn't fork out the dough for an I5 KLR and I thought this call sounded good. Can't tell you who made them, but I see them on lots of peoples lanyards. It was a camo plastic body thing. I also carry a quackhead speck call, which I can use to make a cackler call. Until you figure out how to blow it, a short reed will make you feel really stupid, but you can't make really goosey sounds without it imho.
Threemuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
grnhkiller3
Cutthroat

i say you buy yourself a haydels dr-85=about 13 bucks
and saunders goose calls sound good and they aren't to expensive.. plus they are easy to blow=60bucks
grnhkiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:17 PM   #10
xstreme357
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnhkiller3 View Post
i say you buy yourself a haydels dr-85=about 13 bucks
and saunders goose calls sound good and they aren't to expensive.. plus they are easy to blow=60bucks

dude you nailed it with the haydels dr-85. sweet duck call for under 20 bucks and it works. i dont care what anyone says. I have a series of the top end lines both goose and ducks. I started on an 85. i just picked up two more, one for my buddy thats beginning to call and one for my younger brother that wants to get some practice in on the calling aspect. they seriously sound great. they are a double reed and super easy to blow. very inexpensive so if you get better in six months, your not wasting a bill and a half or so. good call grnhkller.

forgot to put my own two cents in. For all around duck around here... the RNT timbre is one on my lanyard i end up spitting into the most, although the buck gardner spit techs are blowing up right now. the RNT is crisp, loud, and persistant. i have never had mine stick on me and i have wailed on that thing a time or two. goose call, go with the rest of the guys the I5 killer is one of the most productive goose calls for this area. i just got the bc minima from a guide buddy of mine to try out last week. sweet cack/tavn. call. very squeeky, high pitched! perfect for open goose hunting around here. but the I5 killer will turn even the most weary cackler around. matter of fact, and i should have taken a pic two days ago i somehow managed to turn upwards of about 200 cacklers to land in our duck pond with that i5 kller. that would be my only pic for around here goose call!

Last edited by xstreme357; 10-25-2007 at 11:22 PM.
xstreme357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #11
Tvfowlhunter
Tuna!

Bill Saunders calls are top notch. My favorite calls I like to blow and carry on my lanyard are.

Bill Saunders I5 Killer For: Cacklers, and Tavs.

Bill Saunders Traffic: all around deadly call and one of my favorites.

Bill Saunders Double B. Its hard to get a Double B, but by far my favorite Honker call. The new Red Zone is a great call also. If you do plan to buy a Red Zone ask Bill for the new orange guts.

Duck calls: I like the Gravity double reed by Bill saunders or a RNT single reed Short Barrel.

TVFOWLHUNTER
Tvfowlhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #12
Tar Heel
Tuna!

Tjanks again. I remember my first plastic Hydell call. Seemed like a whole new ''instrument.'' And the Kum Ducks were great for their time too. Now to get out there and scare a few birds!
Old 10-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #13
Eric Strand

Tar Heel, If I had to recommend one short reed goose call and one single reed duck call that could do it all I would point you towards a Traffic Goose call and The Coupe duck call both made by Bill Saunders of Kennewick, Washington.

The Traffic is hands down the most versatile goose call I have ever used and it has a range that will get super high pitch, fast and aggressive while also having a solid goosey low end. You can find an acrylic for $150, wood and acrylic for $125 or a poly for $60.

The Coupe is a brand new single reed duck call using an anti stick tone board and bore diameter comprable to any other timber duck call except it has the volume of other louder calls as well. It's as versatile as any and retails for $125.

If you like a double reed I would highly suggest the Gravity.

Good luck and let me know if there is anything I can help with.

" Shoot em with their feet down "
Eric Strand
Eric Strand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #14
STRUTTIN-1
Sturgeon

No advise from me.I wont duck call in a store either.I am intimidated even at water fowl festival at the display booths.I have a RNT and other cheaper calls.They turn ducks ok.I get better responses from whistles and peeps.Thats why I dont kill alot af mallards I guess.For mallards I depended on a hunting partner.He was good.He used so many diff ones it was crazy.I think he was addicted to buying calls.
STRUTTIN-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #15
Tar Heel
Tuna!

I appreciate all the feedback. Probably worth a thread per season, given the advancements in calls. I will try the Saunders calls (and try to learn to shut up when circumstances require it). I hunt Nodak every year for a week, and it can be really fun turning those young, uneducated birds. Question, do ducks respond to goose calls? A friend of mine likes to honk at ducks, swearing it gets their attention. We usually have some goose deekes out, so what's ayone's thoughts?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #16
Eric Strand

Goose calls can at times work wonders for duck hunting. It's a confidence and realism thing. Just think about what a refuge sounds like???? Good luck.

" Shoot em with their feet down "
Eric Strand
Eric Strand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:16 PM   #17
holyhogmolly
Steelhead

I got one at the sportsman's show for 35 bucks and it sounds really good, it's easy to blow, but for some reason, I can't get it to blow when it's really cold, not sure why though. In my opinion, you get what you pay for, go with a Saunder's call, and save yourself the extra money of upgrading later...
holyhogmolly is offline   Reply With Quote