Ben "Tag" Tagliavento... Last cast... - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Notices

Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Default Ben "Tag" Tagliavento... Last cast...

I can't quit crying... He passed away.

He was my favorite fishing buddy. He taught me so much.

Did you know Tag? Can you tell me a story about him?

Today out on T bay, Bill asked me if I had called him, lately.
I said No, and that I was afraid to.
He asked why, and I said I was afraid he wouldn't be there.

Two hours later, I came home to my e mail and read:

Quote:
JEANNE
MY FATHER BEN " TAG " PASSED AWAY OCTOBER 9. CALL ME IF YOU NEED INFORMATION.

TOM
Oh, damn. Life is so short. I am heart broken. I just loved that man, and the tears are falling strong, right now.

Jen

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Default Re: Ben "Tag" Tagliavento... Last cast...

I just said this, today! Two hours ago! Isn't that strange, you guys??? I'm just blown away. I was just in absolute shock when I read that.

PLEASE call your friends and family and tell them you love them.
I missed my chance.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Old 10-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

OK... composure... Anyhow, Ben and I fished together at least Bi weekly, but mostly DAILY for about 7 or 8 years, when I lived in Warrenton and Astoria.

Man oh man... Fishing partners are hard to lose.

I can still hear his voice. I can still hear mine, saying, "B B B B B BEN! Fish on!"

He made fun of me for that, all the time!

Jen

Old 10-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Matthewc
Ifish Nate

Sorry to hear the news : )

Fighting over the fish will only serve to divert us from our common goal.

Team ****
Team Lamiglas
R&B Lure Co. Pro Staff
Matthewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
Pete
Administrator

I'm so sorry, Jen. You've talked about Ben as long as I've known you. My prayers to his family and friends.

Report Game Violations!

Washington: 1 877 933-9847

Oregon: 1 800 452-7888
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Maddie'sDaddy
Sturgeon

So sorry to hear about your friend Jennie :frown:, After reading other posts from you lately about your son and his eye ups and downs and now this you must be exausted from the gammet of emotions that your running through, Hang in there.

MD
Maddie'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Yes, it is a whirlwind! I feel bi-emotional!

Anyhow... what's a good thing is that I have chocolate. It makes everything a little less stressful!

Jen

Old 10-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
fishinpox
Ifish Nate

Is this the same gentleman I read about on the guideshop website? If so, what a way to go out though, doin what ya love!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
Mello-Yello
Tuna!

Jen...

I didn't know Ben...I wish I had. I've certainly known other "Bens" though.

I'm saddened by your loss and wish I could make it better...I know I can't.

But you brought something home in you're initial post that deserves at least a moment of my precious time.

Jennie...thank you! You provide to me a home, a haven. A retreat from my work, my problems, the many stresses that tug and tug, trying to pull me from the many things I love so much about living in the Great Northwest.

For this.........I thank you.

I only hope you realize how special you are to so many people.

M_Y
Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 AM   #10
PapaHog
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mello-Yello View Post
Jen...

I didn't know Ben...I wish I had. I've certainly known other "Bens" though.

I'm saddened by your loss and wish I could make it better...I know I can't.

But you brought something home in you're initial post that deserves at least a moment of my precious time.

Jennie...thank you! You provide to me a home, a haven. A retreat from my work, my problems, the many stresses that tug and tug, trying to pull me from the many things I love so much about living in the Great Northwest.

For this.........I thank you.

I only hope you realize how special you are to so many people.

M_Y

I agree M_y, my life is much better because of this internet home of Jennie. She is my hero and express my thoughts and prayers in many of her posts and threads here on ifish.

My thanks to you Jennie.

Jen I am truly sorry to hear about your friend. I will make some phone calls today.

Happiness is having someone to love, someone to love you and someone to hold hands with the final years of this journey.
PapaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

I find it so hard to believe that such an avid fisherman, Ben, (Tag) doesn't have anyone that knows him on ifish.

We fished like crazy.

He bought me my first pair of hip boots! He taught me to steelhead on the Lewis, took me jack fishing on the Klatskanine, founder fishing on the Necanicum, silver fishing at Social Security Beach, trout fishing on My favorite lakes. He paid for my Washington fishing license, and took me sturgeon fishing across the bridge, on the hiway, there. He took me sturgeon fishing on the Astoria Pier. We discovered new jack fishing locations all around Youngs Bay area. We went carp fishing in ponds toward Clatskanie. We fished for perch in the sloughs, crappie in the lakes, bluegill, too! Name a fish, and Ben and I were after it! Daily!

Please, if you knew Ben, let me know. I need badly to hear from someone that shares my memories. PM me, if nothing else... or use the contact form, below.

I miss him desperately, already. I so wish I would have called my dear friend. Please don't let this happen to you. Call them, now.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
Fishbulb
Ifish Nate

I only had the pleasure of being in his presence a couple times but on the basis of the strength of character of his family alone they broke the mold with Mr. Tag.

If you have ever watched a movie like Flags of our Fathers or read a book like One Square Mile of Hell you have a pretty good idea of the caliber of man his family has just lost. Mr. Tag knew what it was like to be in the midst of a Banzai charge. He nearly gave his life for all of us on some hell hole island in the Pacific theater.

He shared his love of fishing and hunting with many. I am sure he is fishing steelhead or gazing upon an ethereal flock of greenheads right now.

Gods speed Mr. Tag and thank you for the gift you gave us all.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #13
Green Willie
King Salmon

Jen,

Been praying for you. Am so sorry about this news, trusting in God's comfort to you.

Mike (jetty nut)
Old 10-13-2007, 05:30 AM   #14
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Ben always told me that he didn't want a funeral service, so today, they are having a burial at 2:00 PM for Mr. Tag at the Oceanview cemetary.

I'm not wearing black. I feel like wearing the hip boots he gave me. I still have them!

Jen

Old 10-13-2007, 07:14 AM   #15
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Went through my pics, today. Man... I'll miss those days on Social Security Beach with Sam Stout, and all our buddies... trading vegetables from the garden, laughing... telling me I had a fish on, while I was clear up in the bushes trying to use the little girls room....

Bunch of brats.

Jen

Old 10-13-2007, 07:15 AM   #16
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

And that little Subaru was my fishing wagon. I used to have a huge "jetty netty" that I'd duct tape to the side of it. Long, longgggggggggg handle!

Old 10-13-2007, 07:36 AM   #17
riverhound
Chromer

Wow Jennie,

I have never met you face to face, but feel like I know you through IFISH. You are about due for some good karma as much good karma as you spread with this sight. Hang in there. I did know Jim Erickson. This must be as big a loss as he was. You have been through the ringer this past year. A sad reality is that the older we get, the more people around us we lose, but if there is a river in heaven, and I believe there is. Tag and Jim are catching some monster fish up there.
riverhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:30 PM   #18
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

What a nice service.

What a long, emotional day. I'm toast.

I came home and watched a video they put together of his life. Man, now I know what happened to the run of fish and anything else that is good to eat! Deer, Elk, fish, fish, fish! All the years of his life!

There's nuttin' left, here, Ben!

One final cast, Mr. Tagliavento. Your friendship was a real gift. Thank you! Ben was a man that made me feel good about me. He liked me, just the way I am. That's true friendship!!! -and that's hard to find!

Jen

Old 10-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #19
fineline
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie@ifish View Post
What a nice service. I came home and watched a video they put together of his life. Man, now I know what happened to the run of fish and anything else that is good to eat! Deer, Elk, fish, fish, fish! All the years of his life!

There's nuttin' left, here, Ben!

Jen
Funny Stuff
Politics, industries, and our environment can make or break our fishing. We must be active, organized sport fishermen who will not be known for what we gave up or lost, but for what we did to prevent it.
Nwsteelheaders.org
fineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #20
THE KIWANDA KID
Steelhead

Sorry for your loss Jenny. As I get older I keep learning that everything happens for a reason and as far as I can tell I am sending you my condolances on this web site because of the love your friend gave to you for the passion of fishing that in turn you share with us. God bless Tag and all the folks we know and love like him.