Les Schwab or Costco - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 09-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
Steelhead

Default Les Schwab or Costco

Need new tires for a Lexus GX 470 the SUV. Where do you folks think the better deal can be found???

7066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Steelhead

Default Re: Les Schwab or Costco

ttt
Old 09-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
wsuweston
Tuna!

Schwab
wsuweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
danger
Ifish Nate

I don't pay to shop anywhere!

Schwabs.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
ICHTHYDEMON
Ifish Nate

Discount tire. They'll beat both Costco and LS for pricing.
ICHTHYDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
wishin
Tuna!

With their great customer service, you can't beat Les Schwab's. I am a customer for life!
wishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
Headhunter
Sturgeon

For tires it depends on a few things. First I will come clean and say I am a Les Schwab fan, but have bought tires from Costco too.

If the tires are apples vs. apples and the price is +/- 10% it comes down to service.

For my wife’s sedan that never leaves the pavement or cell phone coverage and who has AAA, it is a price only issue. For my Ford Explorer that has seen lots of off road use for hunting/fishing adventures, it's Schwab all the way. Every small town in the Pacific NW has a Les Schwab to get me back on the road. I have punctured a tire more than once chasing some type of fin feather or fur and it's always a free fix.

Now if I needed tires for a Lexus SUV, I would trade in the Lexus for a real SUV! I bet that thing never leaves the road. Don't get me wrong...Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Prosch all make good autombiles, but to have one as a hunting/fishing rig...now that's funny
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
Farfish
Tuna!

I have always found the service at Les Schwab to be outstanding both before and after the sale. I haven't bought tires from anyone else in ages. They seem to have stores in all the various places that I go unlike most other dealers. I find it handy to know that if I am in Boise or Bandon, if I have tire trouble, I can deal with the folks who sold me the tires. The only drawback is that you don't want to have tire troubles on Sunday, because they don't work on Sundays, but then no body should have to.
Farfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
Troutinator
Tuna!

when you factor in total cost of ownership(in other words, the whole ownership experience from start o finish) Schwab is unbeatable in my book...
Old 09-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #10
Boats
Ifish Nate

Schwab
Old 09-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #11
Old MAn River
Steelhead

:frown: Not Schwab, Costco or America's Tire
Old MAn River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
wsuweston
Tuna!

Costco has some good deals, they just lack in the option category. They don't even carry rims. That said I would buy from them. I buy all my tires from Schwab, best service around
Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #13
Jeremy
Ifish Nate

Definately Americas Tire
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #14
wsuweston
Tuna!

I tried to give ATC my buisness once and I ended up walking out on them. Not very friendly and they did not run up to help me as soon as I pulled in
Old 09-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
goodkarma
Tuna!

Headhunter.....that lexus 470 would eat your explorer for lunch dude. Seriously nice, solid vehicle and can take way more abuse than an explorer.....they just tend not to get abused.

schwab.
goodkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #16
pdxkevin
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsuweston View Post
I tried to give ATC my buisness once and I ended up walking out on them. Not very friendly and they did not run up to help me as soon as I pulled in
I pulled up to the LS in forest Grove just after closing. OK the doors were looked but there were three people inside with the lights still on... it was raining - all be it lightly - and I had a slow leak in the rear tire.

I knocked.. the employees stared back at me and one pointed to his watch and mouthed the word 'closed'.

So I pulled out the jack and changed the tire myself in their lot in the rain as the traffic drove by.

I don't believe that this is the way things go down in most of their stores nor is it norm for that store. I am sure other places have their days, too.

Personally, I like the help and people over at the AMT across from Washington Sqaure on 217. They shipped in tires from another state at no additional charge for me and quickly swapped out a bum tire I had - no questions.

I have never been to any place in any state where they ran out to get your business... ok there are a few car dealerships but that's different.

Kevin Sturmer
Old 09-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #17
RODACTION
King Salmon

Quote:
Don't get me wrong...Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Prosch all make good autombiles, but to have one as a hunting/fishing rig...now that's funny
I did not read the hunting/fishishg rig part of the question ?

As for the GX 470, the thing would climb a tree if it could get traction.

Oh, go see Les.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #18
wsuweston
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxkevin View Post
I pulled up to the LS in forest Grove just after closing. OK the doors were looked but there were three people inside with the lights still on... it was raining - all be it lightly - and I had a slow leak in the rear tire.

I knocked.. the employees stared back at me and one pointed to his watch and mouthed the word 'closed'.

So I pulled out the jack and changed the tire myself in their lot in the rain as the traffic drove by.

I don't believe that this is the way things go down in most of their stores nor is it norm for that store. I am sure other places have their days, too.

Personally, I like the help and people over at the AMT across from Washington Sqaure on 217. They shipped in tires from another state at no additional charge for me and quickly swapped out a bum tire I had - no questions.

I have never been to any place in any state where they ran out to get your business... ok there are a few car dealerships but that's different.

Kevin Sturmer
That's not even close to the experinces that I have had. We pulled into a store and hour after they closed when we were having starting problems and 3 guys tested the car for about an hour before telling us that it needed a starter. They did not even make a sale. I have gone to Schwabs in 4 states and have never been dissapointed
Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #19
Jsail
Tuna!

I don't have a thing to say bad about LS.
I don't try to persuade anyone that is happy with them.
I have bought 6 sets of truck tires in the last twenty years, all from Costco.
I wait for the deals on the tires I want and then go buy them.
About every other time I'll go check with LS to see if they can match the tire in quality and price. I haven't been tempted yet.
The last set and the ones I have now are Michelin E series on a 1 ton van.
First set got @58,000 miles and still had 10k tread on the rear ones.
Service is the same just not as many stores.
I like to take it in for rotation.
Go inside and browse a bit, get some lunch and I'm off.
Let's see you do that at LS
Old 09-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #20
Hogmaster

On the other hand, I pulled into the WL Schwab a few minutes after 6 on a Friday night with a leaky boat trailer tire. The manager personally came out and took care of me, opening the back and getting crew to fix it so Saturday morning's trip could go on as planned. All for no charge on a set of skins not purchased from them.

So I think any store or any situation can be extra good or bad. Just depends.

I'm a loyalist toward them, but I too have bought tires at Costco. And their service is efficient. If you go there a lot anyway, like we do, it is not a big deal to get rotation done or a leak fixed while you are there shopping anyway. Like most all stuff Costco, limited selection but good quality applies. Their $60 off coupons on Michelins and Bridgestones make them extremely attractive from a cost standpoint.

We put them on both my daughter and stepdaughter's cars. Both in college, and even though most Schwabs are very ethical and honest, I figured with Costco they wouldn't be hyping uneeded brake jobs or other services to a naive college girl.

One thing though - Costco will ONLY put tires on the size the original manufacturer puts on. Nothing wider, narrower or taller. They pull the model up in their computers to verify the allowable OEM specs. They would not replace the tires on my Tahoe, as I had put larger wheels on the rig.

Last edited by Hogmaster; 09-13-2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: kint spil
Hogmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #21
jet
Sturgeon

schwab...period!

I-Fish member #389
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #22
Hawaiian Time
Tuna!

Just put tires on my F350 CrewCab at Cosco for the first time. I have use tire factory for years but the quote on the same tires was $890 at Tire Factory and with a $50 coupon at Cosco was $523. That was just too much of a difference for the same tires so I went with Cosco. HT
Old 09-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #23
98ramtough
Tuna!

Some things I like to go to LS for. Trailer tires. They have a better selection IMO and I like the service. If you buy good quality truck and car tires, you rarely need the emergency service. I can change a flat by myself on my truck, so I buy somewhere else that gives me a much better price.

I DO NOT like someone telling my wife that her breaks need redone when they don't. I do not like someone telling her the shocks on her car needs redone, or the struts are getting old, or its been two weeks since her last alignment etc. I do not like paying $90 to change some tires around to different wheels and have them balanced. Costco does this for $24, LS does it for $86-$90. I have had many great experiences with small town les schwabs, where they had half knowledgeable people or at least young intern type kids that were great at what they did. In the larger towns or cities, I have had nothing but problems. I actually had a wheel come off a truck 50 miles down the road because they forgot to tighten the lugs. No kidding! I have also got billed twice for things that I never had done at the store. I get a bill in the mail from LS for xx dollars for xx services when I hadn't been to the store for a few months.

You pay a premium price at LS for service. Service that sometimes pays for itself and sometimes it doesn't. It hasn't paid for itself for me ever, so I buy the best tire for the best price at whichever place I can get it. Which turns out to never be LS. If I ever have to pay someone $20 to fix a flat, well then I still have $180 left over from my savings of choosing not to do business with them.

I can tell I am pretty much alone with my opinion on LS, but like I said, I would rather change a flat myself and save the $200 on the tires!

Mike Gagne
98ramtough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #24
Go_Getter
Chromer

The last couple of set of tire I have bought from LS have been junk. They private label tires and it goes to the lowest bidder. My parents always go to Costco for Michelin tires and have awesome performance out of them also Costco fills all tires with nitrogen and everyone says its better and does not leak out. My next set will be Michelin's from costco! Yale Fogarty

Last edited by Go_Getter; 09-15-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Go_Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #25
foxer
Sturgeon

Just bought 4 from Firestone. Schwab doesnt carry the Revo AT. Getting a $50.00 check for gas purhcase too. Service was very good.
foxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #26
mandinga
Sturgeon

I dont shop price with a few things and tires are one of them....schwab.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #27
Clyde
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICHTHYDEMON View Post
Discount tire. They'll beat both Costco and LS for pricing.

I have really been disappointed with Les Schwab's service and prices over the last few years. I used to be a very loyal customer but things change. I have never gotten terrible service, but I don't feel that I get superior service anymore so now it comes down to price and quality. I just bought a set of very highly rated Goodyear tires for less than their comparable Toyos.

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves.
- Rudyard Kipling
Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #28
JCJ
Steelhead

Very interesting comparisons on tires and service.Yes,Costco will only install OEM sizes,they have the capability to go 3% over on sizes as long as it still meets the speed or load rating.All with ones safety in mind,they do not try to out guess the design engineers that designed the truck or car around a certain requirement for the vehicle.I have seem Les put tires on vehicles with no attention paid to speed,size or load rating at all.Saw a 3/4 ton Dodge come in a while back, with, it looked like a black basketball on the side of the tire.The tire was in the process of blowing itself out the side,they had put a 8 ply tire on a vehicle that required a 10 ply tire,plus the person had a full load a gravel in the bed plus side racks.So you gotta wonder why would some "trained professionals" put a lower rated tire on a truck and take a chance of blowing it out and possibly injuring or killing the person driving it? This is one of the reasons Costco only does factory OEM,they keep your safety in mind and its more important than coming out running like your pet Lab when you get home.Compare the quality of tire you get and make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you purchase something as important as your tires.Remember thats all between your Butt and the road,choose wisely Grasshopper!
JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #29
Headhunter
Sturgeon

Goodkarma,

I totally agree! They are excellent cars and the quality is much better than my Ford. I just would hate to take one down some of the brush choked roads and get it all scratched up. Not to mention getting the inside smeared with the blood of elk, chucker, ducks, geese, salmon, TUNA, and all the other fun critters to chase. So the point being it's not the best tool for an off road car in my humble opinion. Of course that could change once the kid is out of private school and there is more disposable income to go around

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma View Post
Headhunter.....that lexus 470 would eat your explorer for lunch dude. Seriously nice, solid vehicle and can take way more abuse than an explorer.....they just tend not to get abused.

schwab.
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #30
crittergitter
Steelhead

Definatly Scwab:smile: They have the best after sale service that I have found yet.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #31
pdxkevin
Ifish Nate

I haven't seen many of the 'fancy' 4x4s out on the trails... this is the only one I have ever heard about locally. (video link)
Old 09-13-2007, 11:04 PM   #32
wapiteaser
Ifish Nate

My brother went online and bought Load Range "E" Toyo's for his pkup the same as what Schwab has. Paid $300 less for them. Took them to Schwab and they mounted them for nothing. Evidently Schwab has something with Toyo. Check out the online sales.
wapiteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:57 AM   #33
retiredgal
Tuna!

Smile Re: Les Schwab or Costco

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin View Post
With their great customer service, you can't beat Les Schwab's. I am a customer for life!
retiredgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:42 AM   #34
jvp
Sturgeon

i have bought from all 3 LS, AT and costco. All have had some ups and downs. Service at all 3 depended on the particular store and there are huge differences from one companies store to another in the same company. also i factor in the return/discount i get for exec. membership. Tires like everything should be shopped for not assumed by store or brand name to be the best. I don't drive a new/fancy/expensive vehicle so nobody ever runs out to help me anywhere. i buy topend expensive, worth more than the blue book on my car i think, tires and I usually special order. use a quote from one to get another to lower their price if they will, which happens alot. Be an informed consumer do your homework. Save gas and call around they all will give you a quote over the phone.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:41 AM   #35
CIA Outfitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmaster View Post
One thing though - Costco will ONLY put tires on the size the original manufacturer puts on. Nothing wider, narrower or taller. They pull the model up in their computers to verify the allowable OEM specs. They would not replace the tires on my Tahoe, as I had put larger wheels on the rig.
They have gladly put 37" BFG's on my Crew cab every 30K

Now booking Spring Chinook and Buoy 10

www.CatchItAlloutfitters.com

Jared Jorgensen
Jared.Jorgensen.Verified@Gmail.com

CIA Outfitters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #36
Hogmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobberman View Post

Really?

Bend Costco must be playing it loose. Every time I have asked they are adamant about it (for the reasons JCJ cites above) at the ones around the metro area.
Hogmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #37
wsuweston
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobberman View Post
They must really like you
Old 09-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #38
CIA Outfitters

I didn't have to sweet talk them or anything. The manager even came out to see my rig. He did say that the Bend store sells more BFG's that any other by a large percentage.

Jared Jorgensen

Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #39
CombinationLicense
Ifish Nate

Les Schwab without question. They have great service and outlets almost everywhere around the state. Not only that, Les Schwab Tires supports Oregon's sportsmen (and women) by making significant contributions to the Oregon Hunters Association fundraising efforts.

No question in my mind - support the businesses that support us - Les Schwab Tires.

"CL"
CombinationLicense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:56 AM   #40
JustCallMeDave
The Mods Must Be Crazy!

Location: Casting between the waves where dinner lies waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Getter View Post
The last couple of set of tire I have bought from LS have been junk. They private label tires and it goes to the lowest bidder. My parents always go to Costco for Michelin tires and have awesome performance out of them also Costco fills all tires with nitrogen and everyone says its better and does not leak out. My next set will be Michelin's from costco!
Statements like this require that you sign your name to the statement, otherwise it needs to be deleted.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #41
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

I have been so happy with Les Schwab and the way they go out of the way for folks that I can't seem to make myself buy tires at Costco, even though I love the way Costco treats a customer, too.

Costco for food. LS for tires. Although... I'm sure Costco is good, too! LS is just closer to me for my tire needs. They are both awesome companies.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:00 AM   #42
jvp
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmaster View Post
they used to not with mine too but they will now.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #43
JCJ
Steelhead

Hey Bobberman,is your truck a 1/2 ton or a 3/4,if he is putting the 37" BFG on there and its a 3/4 ton rig it should be a 10 ply tire and I am pretty sure those do not come in a 10ply.If its a 1/2 ton then it will work but not a 3/4 ton.If he puts the wrong tire on knowingly then it will be his butt if anything happens and personally I will not lose my job because someone wants me to put the incorrect tire on his rig!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #44
Orion
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7066 View Post
Need new tires for a Lexus GX 470 the SUV. Where do you folks think the better deal can be found???

Well I hope after 42 posts that we have helped clear up the issue for you regarding where to buy tires. Shall we move on to what kind of truck to buy?

I more vote for less Schwab....

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big
enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #45
CIA Outfitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJ View Post
Hey Bobberman,is your truck a 1/2 ton or a 3/4,if he is putting the 37" BFG on there and its a 3/4 ton rig it should be a 10 ply tire and I am pretty sure those do not come in a 10ply.If its a 1/2 ton then it will work but not a 3/4 ton.If he puts the wrong tire on knowingly then it will be his butt if anything happens and personally I will not lose my job because someone wants me to put the incorrect tire on his rig!
F350 powerstroke.
I recently sold it but they did put 2 sets on no problem. I now run TOYO's

Jared Jorgensen

Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #46
98ramtough
Tuna!

I can't help but ask why you keep acting like it is reckless to put a 8 ply tire on a 3/4 ton? I run 285 BFGs on my Dodge 2500 and the weight rating per tire is 3195@65. You can find thousands of people that run this tire on large trucks with ZERO problems. If I was towing 15k lbs or had a huge camper and was towing very large loads, no I would not run this tire. But for pulling a boat and the occasional loads in the bed, I see no safety hazard here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJ View Post
98ramtough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #47
northriver1
Ifish Nate

[quote=.So you gotta wonder why would some "trained professionals" put a lower rated tire on a truck and take a chance of blowing it out and possibly injuring or killing the person driving it? ![/quote]

I don't know but maybe that is what the customer wanted or could afford.

LS for me.
northriver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #48
fishbait

Les Schwab for many years

They also support the local community and have contributed to our ANWS Chapter.

Member # 287

Official IFish Mortgage Broker
Direct line 971.250.4510
http://40009.stearnshomeloans.com/st...e.php?id=13040

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but rather by how many times something takes your breath away.

Lifetime member of NW Steelheaders
Proud Member CCA
fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #49
biederboat
Sturgeon

IMO, Les Schwab is generally a "safe choice" as they will always steer you to a decent tire (they won't screw you) or for those people who want "the buying experience" or it makes sense (i.e. you live in Burns or John Day). If you have more knowledge, more choices (e.g. you live in Beaverton) and are more interested in getting the best tire, you need to look around. For example, I researched tires for my Bronco and determined Yokohama's were, at the very least, better than what Schwab offered. I went with America's Tire Company, saved money, got a better tire than Toyo or "Wild Country" and am plenty please. Can't vouch for Costco, too limited of a selection.

Just my experience,
Biederboat
biederboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #50
Trick
King Salmon

another vote for Les Schwab!
Member #200 and something?
CCA NRA OFF Member
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #51
Steelhead

Thanks every one for your help. I will make LS get closer to the Costco price and let LS do the tires.

PS: The GX 470 is a stump puller and solid as a rock. It also has a DVD for my five year old to watch Lion King with head phones on while I listen to the radio. What a life saver.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #52
JCJ
Steelhead

quote[ I don't know but maybe that is what the customer wanted or could afford.] If they can not afford the correct tire for the vehicle they are driving then you gotta question why they are driving that vehicle to begin with!And as far as putting on what they want then when something happens and the fecal matter hits the fan then the first thing they do is sue whoever put the INCORRECT tires on their vehicle to begin with being that they were trained professionals and they were supposed to know what they were doing in the first place and as far as a 8 ply carrying the same weight as the 10 ply,yes a 285 in 8 ply will carry the same as a 265 in 10 ply but when the lawyers ask why did you put a 8 ply tire on a vehicle that specifically says it takes a 10 ply,what are you going to say.And you know as well as I do that the first thing is they sue you because it could not of been their fault that they complained so much you did what they wanted to so they would shut up.All the time I get into discussions with these same people that want what they want and damn the consequences and no amount of explaining or showing them safety statistics why we do what we do will convince them otherwise,Do these same people argue with their doctor when he tells them how he is going to do a procedure on them? Well Doc I think you should come in from the reverse side to take out that appendix because after all its all the same no matter how you do it.The tire industry has been changing every since the Firestone/Explorer problems and if one chooses to ignore the safety aspect then you better have some deep pockets to pay off all the lawsuits your going to get over putting on incorrect tires ,no matter what the customer wants.This is one industry that just because the customer wants what they want , does not necessarily mean that is the correct or safe choice.Tires are a personal thing so no matter where you buy them from buy the best you can because you life is literally riding on them.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #53
backlash442
Ifish Nate

The fact that there are a lot of LS's around (even in other states) would tend to get my vote.

Not sure who said they don't pay to shop but I've been shopping Costco for years and I haven't payed a dime. Executive Membership pays for itself and then some.
backlash442 is offline   Reply With Quote