any info on b.c. hunting - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Notices

Old 07-27-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
RB fish
Steelhead

Default any info on b.c. hunting

I will be going on a moose hunt out of prince george and would like any info on the customs either entering and leaving us or bc with any problems you might have encountored espeically transportation of meat back into us. bc is not a cwd province at this time. also any ideas of packing of meat with dry ice in a trailor, it is about 1000 mile trip home. thanks for any info, RB

RB fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
fish forever
Steelhead

Default Re: any info on b.c. hunting

Going: just like any border crossing they will not let you take any agricultural products and there is a list of prohibited items. We had to toss a box of food going into canada.
You'll need a canadian firearms permit. You can get the form and instructions on the internet from the canadian government websites. There is a limit to the amount of ammo and number of Guns. We didnt get checked going in, but if you are over, you risk having stuff confiscated or in these troubled times - detained. If you are going to borrow or rent a gun (a friends or your guides) that also requires a separate and different permit. Keep this paperwork with you at all times until you get back to the US.
- If you are hunting in BC, they require that you have a guide. You will need proof that you have one booked. A reservation letter, booking letter or something to show who you are hunting with and where. If you are not using a guide, but going with a BC resident who is a relative, both that person and yourself will need a resident/guest guide card. There is more information on those items on the BC fish and game site.

If you have a passport take it. Although not required for driving into canada until next year - things go a lot faster if you have a US passport.

Coming back:
On the meat - We were inspected very closely on the return. Prepare the meat as if you were dealing with a CWD state. You cant have any spinal items, lymph nodes, brain, etc. If you have a head or antlers they have to be completely skinned, cleaned, and devoid of any matter. Talk to your guide about making arrangements for this at camp because once you are on the road it is a real pain to clean a skull. Some manner of boiling and bleaching works best. For antlered trophies - skull caps are much easier than cleaning an entire skull.
Firearms - make sure you have your paperwork on firearms for coming back. Ask the US border control before you cross what you need to fill out. I know for going outside the Continent you have to declare before you leave the country.

In summary, things have gotten a lot more complicated the last few years, especially with governments that have gun control laws. However, if you are prepared and do all the paperwork - the crossings will go smooth.

disclaimer - i'm not an expert on this stuff, this is just what I ran into on a BC hunt last year. For the real info - get the info straight from the canadian government and US border control. In fact, you may want to print out copies of thier policies and take it with you. Its not unheard of for some border control agents to not be up to speed on all of the regulations in this area, and straightening things out at the crossing may mean hours in wait....

PS. we kept our meat in a chest freezer hauled it in a travel trailer. At camp we plugged the freezer in to chill it to < 40 degrees and on the road we plugged in on overnight stays to keep the meat chilled. Take a thermometer - the key is keeping the meat between 35-45 degrees for the trip and monitoring it. Pretty easy to freeze the meat if you plug it in too long. Two moose more than filled up the Coffin sized freezer (8') and when not plugged in it acted just like a big cooler. I've heard of people also hauling the meat in large chest freezer. I think regular block ice will work, you just have to keep the meat out of the water as it melts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB fish View Post
I will be going on a moose hunt out of prince george and would like any info on the customs either entering and leaving us or bc with any problems you might have encountored espeically transportation of meat back into us. bc is not a cwd province at this time. also any ideas of packing of meat with dry ice in a trailor, it is about 1000 mile trip home. thanks for any info, RB

Last edited by fish forever; 07-27-2007 at 01:29 PM.
fish forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
RB fish
Steelhead

Default to fish forever

Thanks for the come back. We do have a guide and the firearms permit which leads me to the question about coming back into us, was that a special form you were refering to or just the orginal bc firearms permit? again many thanks RB
RB fish is offline   Reply With Quote