Building a boat anchor - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
bullshooter
Steelhead

Default Building a boat anchor

I am in need of a larger anchor. I have a 26lb EZ anchor. I have been told it is too small for my 21ft Sea Hawk. I have a lot of scrap metal and the know how to build an anchor. My question is could I build an anchor out of scrap and take it somewhere to be galvanized?

bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Bait O' Eggs
King Salmon

Default Re: Building a boat anchor

Not a problem with getting an anchor galvanized, just dont do it in tube and weld the tubes shut, or fill the tube with lead (like I did) because the galvanizers wont hot dip those.

I suspect it will cost you more than just buying an anchor already galvanized unless you have a galvanzing buddy.

You could always get it coated with bed liner, or paint or some other option also
Old 06-22-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
Gundog

Bullshooter,
I build anchors and sell them I have them all galvanized at the Galvanizers in Portland but they have a $200 minimum charge. I think there are others in the area. If you are not in a hurry to get it done I could help you out. I just finished a batch of anchors recently and won't be building any more until most of these are sold but when I do another batch if you bring me what you want done I will include it with mine the cost would be between $15-$20 depending on weight they charge by the pound.
Mike
Gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

A 26lb EZ Anchor sounds fine for a 21ft Seahawk. That's the folding one right? They are good anchors and bite well, especially if you have a 8-10ft length of heavy chain in front of it. I think it's fine. The sharp outward angled point bite much better than a heavier CR anchor.

However if you have material to weld up a bigger anchor do it. Just make sure you make the blades out of 3/8" and angle and point them just like the EZ...I might also double up on blades.

Personally I don't think galvinizing is that big a deal. Sand blast it & rattle can spray it with cold galvinizing zinc. Heck it's an anchor....it doesn't have to look perfect.
Be sure to post up a pic of your new build.
Hunt'nFish
Old 06-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
IDWITHELD
Sturgeon

Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
R. WILD
Coho

Just build the anchor as you want it, and then power wire brush it or better yet sandblast it. Then get some cold galvinize spray in a can , and spray on a couple of good heavy coats. I have done this for many years and it works just fine. You can always touch it up if needed.
R. WILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
Herring Impaired
Tuna!

Make it out of stainless, and don't apply any finish at all.
And then hope you never lose it cause it "shore looks purty"... :-)
Old 06-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #8
bullshooter
Steelhead

Thanks for the generous offer gundog. But what hunt'n fish said makes a lot of sense. It is just an anchor. I have it in my head that everything needs to be salt water proof.

Someone mentioned filling the tube with lead. I also have access to a good supply of wheel weights. Which tube would I put the lead in? The main shaft(for lack of a better word), or the part that is T'd? I am shooting for the 40# weight range.

Thanks for all of the input guys.
bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
threetruck
Steelhead

I had a 40#-er with 3 tines and got so tired of hauling it up I cut the center tines out to lighten it up. 40 pounds is pretty heavy. I'm anchoring in a 21' Hughes and don't have any problem holding. I do have about 10' of chain, though - that's key.

Make sure you show us pictures when you're done!
Psalm 107:23-24.

threetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #10
wetaline
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetruck View Post
I had a 40#-er with 3 tines and got so tired of hauling it up I cut the center tines out to lighten it up. 40 pounds is pretty heavy. I'm anchoring in a 21' Hughes and don't have any problem holding. I do have about 10' of chain, though - that's key.

Make sure you show us pictures when you're done!
pulling a 40lbr up is no fun and makes you think twice about moving - which isn't ideal for anchor fishing when your not in the slot. I'd highly recomend buying a rogue style anchor in stainless steel. Light weight and wont slip an inch. Wayne Adams makes them in Gold Beach, but I've seen them for sale at Performance Marine in PDX.

Most fisherman are liars, except you and me, and sometimes I doubt YOU!

Your not going to catch them sitting in the living room

Last edited by wetaline; 06-25-2007 at 07:44 PM.
wetaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
OB1
Tuna!

I agree with wetaline, you can't beat a Rouge style anchor for holding you in fast water!!
OB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
wetaline
Tuna!

And you wont need 10 feet of chain either. I hold my 22 foot scout in everything w/ just 5 feet of that coated chain. Now I know you have a little more draft - but I still think you'll be fine - these anchors are amazing.

If you have wayne make you one - have him weld the break away on it (which you see in the pick where the chain attaches). His standard anchor he builds for the rogue doesn't have it.

Just an fyi - they aint cheap... so I typically only use it in fast water conditions when slipage w/ a traditional anchor would be a problem - I.E. bonni, rogue etc.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
wetaline
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetaline View Post
And you wont need 10 feet of chain either. I hold my 22 foot scout in everything w/ just 5 feet of that coated chain. Now I know you have a little more draft - but I still think you'll be fine - these anchors are amazing.

If you have wayne make you one - have him weld the break away on it (which you see in the pick where the chain attaches). His standard anchor he builds for the rogue doesn't have it.

Just an fyi - they aint cheap... so I typically only use it in fast water conditions when slipage w/ a traditional anchor would be a problem - I.E. bonni, rogue etc.

Or go and make one - if you've got the welding skills. I heard when wayne made the design for these - he tested them on a gravel bar by towing it behind his truck - until he got the angles right and couldn't pull it.