Plunking for Salmon...... How to rig? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
yankemnbankem
Ifish Nate

Default Plunking for Salmon...... How to rig?

Ok, I actually fished for sturgeon from the bank the other day and it kinda was pretty neat flingin that big ol rod and letting it soak so now Im interested in plunking for salmon from the bank (kinda nice for a afternoon without taking the boat out). Ive never really been into this but I am finding it kinda relaxing.......so , heppa me please. What rod would you recommend, what reel, and then dropper length, leader. Im pretty sure I know what type of lure I want to use but need to know the basics. Do I use a spreader or go with just a 3 way swivel.................... Fill a brother in. Thanks!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Fshklr
Tuna

Default Re: Plunking for Salmon...... How to rig?

Although there are clearly other ways to rig, and you will get many other ways from any 10 fisherman, This is what works for me on the Columbia.
Spin-glos with prawntails before and into June for Springers and early Summer Chinook, Wobblers June into Oct etc for Summer Chinook and Fall Chinook ....I would use strickly wobblers for any Salmon in the Columbia once water temps hit 55 degrees.

I have also played with inline spinners rigged like wobblers, but using a 2" round cork pegged on the leader line.
I've had limited success with this in the lower river, but it works up at bonneville when run #'s are decent.

You can target steelhead too in most locations with the spin-glo set up but you definately get more steelies than salmon.

If you use the spin-glos add prawns and or scent, and perhaps even slide down a U-20 flatfish or similar after casting.
Simply rig a flatfish on a 5 foot leader and gently work it donw the line and into the current. This can be very tricky as you do not want your plunked rig to drift downstream while you do this or into the plunker below your rig, thus tangleing your lines together.

The pics are just general typical gear used by most bankies, and I hate spreaders...
fine for a boat but casting em is a real headache, and offer little to no advantage in my opinion.
The biggest disadvantage I see with spreaders, is tangling while casting and the inability to run your lead dropper on a slider...using the plastic slider or just a huge swivel, the fish most times will pull free of a snag, as where the metal spreader is a catch all and has a higher percentage of losing you a fish.
Most seasoned anglers have long ago, done away with spreaders from the bank, but like I said, use what works for you.

***Gleen what ya can and adapt for the location your in and what others are using around you.

***Note the floats,
When selecting floats, try to use floats of 1 1/2 to 2" in diameter and point the smallest end against the current.
If you use a large float again point the smallest end agaisnt the current. This minimizes the force pushing on the rig and dragging it downriver out of the zone and into fellow bankies below.
When plunking wobblers this is the biggest critical piece of rigging and effectively using this set up.

As for rod and reel each has his, her own preference.
I own 6 different rods in these lengths but my favorite in the "Columbia Premier" by WW.Griggs in 13' rated 15-30
There is definately a learning curve to big rods and open face reels...don't expect to cast like a pro without some err and a few headaches too...stick with it and you will be glad you did!

look for a casting rod of 11' 12' or 13' and a Diawa Sealine 40HV would be my first choice for targeting Deep water and long distance casts which will be needed in the next couple months as the Salmon move out to deeper water for cooler temps.
Other good choices for reels are anything comparible to these models, for the dependabilty of gears, drags, and distance casting.

Abu Garcia 7000, Penn GTI 320/330, Or any olderstyle Diawa Sealine levelwind models.(27H, 47H, 50H)

Last edited by Fshklr; 06-19-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Fshklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
yankemnbankem
Ifish Nate

Bingo, I was hoping you would be the person I charmed up. Thanks for the info. I shall now wander over to the bankie section.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Reel_Big_Fish
Ifish Nate

I use pretty much the same things as Fshklr said. My rod is an 11' Daiwa (not my first choice, but what I could afford at the time) and the Abu 7001.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
RWTIII
Tuna!

I use close to the same rig as Fshklr, although I do use a spreader, homemade. It is a little longer on the leader bar, about 6 inches long.
As for rods and reels, I currently use an Ugly Stick 12" med. heavy or heavy, the later will toss up to 20oz. Reel? Diawa Sealines are hard to beat. If you would like a better rod Lamiglas makes some nice ones in the 14 & 15 foot lengths. That will be my next project, building one this winter for Springers next year. Good Luck.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
Wilmyster
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fshklr View Post
Although there are clearly other ways to rig, and you will get many other ways from any 10 fisherman, This is what works for me on the Columbia.
Spin-glos with prawntails befinto June for Springers and early Summer Chinook, Wobblers June into Oct etc for Summer Chinook and Fall Chinook ....I would use strickly wobblers for any Salmon in the Columbia once water temps hit 55 degrees.

You can target steelhead too in most locations with the spin-glo set up but you definately get more steelies than salmon.

If you use the spin-glos add prawns and or scent, and perhaps even slide down a U-20 flatfish or similar after casting.
Simply rig a flatfish on a 5 foot leader and gently work it donw the line and into the current. This can be very tricky as you do not want your plunked rig to drift downstream while you do this or into the plunker below your rig, thus tangleing your lines together.

The pics are just general typical gear used by most bankies, and I hate spreaders...fine for a boat but casting em is a real headache, and offer little to no advantage in my opinion.

Gleen what ya can and adapt for the location your in and what others are using around you.

As for rod and reel each has his, her own preference.
I own 6 different rods in these lengths but my favorite in the "Columbia Premier" by WW.Griggs in 13' rated 15-30

look for a casting rod of 11' 12' or 13' and a Diawa Sealine 40HV would be my first choice for targeting Deep water and long distance casts which will be needed in the next couple months as the Salmon move out to deeper water for cooler temps.
Other good choices for reels are anything comparible to these models, for the dependabilty of gears, drags, and distance casting.

Abu Garcia 7000, Penn GTI 320/330, Or any olderstyle Diawa Sealine levelwind models.(27H, 47H, 50H)

What is the purpose of the 5 ta 6" float? Are you trying to make sure it gets off the bottom?
Wilmyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
crittergitter
Steelhead

Smile Re: Plunking for Salmon...... How to rig?

I also am rigging very similar to Fshklr, about the only difference would be using a spreader, I get less tangles that way. As for hardware, I use about the same set up as my bank sturgeon rig. 13' Lamiglass, 65 pound tuff line, on a Sealine S50HV. Thats for salmon, I scale it down quite a bit when plunking for metal heads. Smaller spin glows and such. I pretty much stick to wobblers when salmon fishing anymore.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:47 AM   #8
Fshklr
Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmyster View Post
What is the purpose of the 5 ta 6" float? Are you trying to make sure it gets off the bottom?
Yes!

In a boat you are fishing above your gear and a 4 to 5 foot dropper keeps the lure in the zone. Thus no float needed.

Since casting this 7' to 10' foot long rig with leaders etc, and a 6" to 12" dropper, your lure will only lay on the bottom, and you spend the day with a wasted trip.

The floats keep the lure off the bottom and in the zone.

I use anywhere from 6 foot to 10 foot on the float leader depending on tide exchange for the day.

Wobbler leader is 16" to 22". I adjust the lengths until I get dialed in and fish it the rest of the season.

Fshklr is offline   Reply With Quote