Sturgeon on upper Columbia??? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
BIGSKY70
Steelhead

Default Sturgeon on upper Columbia???

My brother just moved up to Sunnyside Wa. Was planning on taking a visit. Was wondering about sturg fishing on the Columbia that way? Any good advice?

BIGSKY70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
Farfish
Tuna!

Default Re: Sturgeon on upper Columbia???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSKY70 View Post
My brother just moved up to Sunnyside Wa. Was planning on taking a visit. Was wondering about sturg fishing on the Columbia that way? Any good advice?
There are not many sturgeon up there. It is all catch and release anywhere above Priest Rapids Dam. You will be doing well to get one over 4 feet (or probably one at all). You might find a few in some of the deep holes just up from Priest Rapids dam (70-80'). I have heard there are some other pretty good areas upstream, but there are so few fish, people tend to keep pretty quiet about their favorite spots. If you find any that have scutes cut off, those fish have been caught before as part of research projects or are from a hatchery release. I bet WDFW would be quite interested to learn if you catch one and measure it.

In some areas up there you will see a lot of really big carp on your fish finder and you may think you are into a bunch of sturgeon, but at least in my experience, carp don't seem to go for pickled squid too well.
Farfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
98ramtough
Tuna!

There are plenty of sturgeon close to Sunnyside. Fish the area between Richland and Preast Rapids, or come down and fish below McNary Dam. The area between the McNary Dam and the bridge is closed however.
98ramtough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
BIGSKY70
Steelhead

NOt real familiar with the are yet. However when we moved him down just short of maryhill, there is a dirt road that runs along the river. My brother was telling me some people he met say they fish along that road for cats, small mouth and perch. Would it be a waste of time to throw a line in? Thanks for the input guys. I've never fished for sturgeon above White Salmon.
BIGSKY70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
FreeDrifter1
Steelhead

I haven't fished that road for about 15 years but back in the day I used to do ok along there. I also used to fish right below John Day dam and did pretty good. Drive the roads along the river and talk to some locals that are fishing. You may find someone who will share their secrets.
FreeDrifter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
timinthegorge
Ifish Nate

NSIA sent out a notice today...... Retention of sturgeon will close on the Big C June 11th between the John Day Dam and McNary. C and R only.....