Male vs. Female Hunting Dogs - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
Vandon16
Chromer

Default Male vs. Female Hunting Dogs

I'm looking at getting a German Shorthair pup. I've never owned a hunting dog and plan on training it to do so. I had friends back home in South Dakota that had several both male and female. All were excellent bird dogs.

Anyone know if one is better than the other? Just curious the pros and cons of either. Besides the obvious, (female in heat twice a year, or the males being larger). Both parents hunt. The female is proffesionally trained and does better in the field than the male. Then there is the $200 more for a female. Any thoughts?

Vandon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
steelheadslayer
Sturgeon

Post Re: Male vs. Female Hunting Dogs

I could never figure out why people charge more for a female over a male. A dog is a dog, the breeding is what you're buying and, IMO, their should be one price for the litter. I flat refuse to buy a dog from someone that asks different prices based on the dogs sex.

Myself, I will always take a female. At least with labs and here's why. I feel they are more than willing to please me more than the males I've seen. Some males are great, don't think I'm bashing them, but as an amateur trainer I think with a female I'm already ahead of the game. Males can be a bit more stubborn and competetive around other male dogs.

I have no experience with the pointing breeds so sorry if i'm not much help with that question.
Immediately they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:20

"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em"-Phil Robertson
steelheadslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
TrapperJohn
Steelhead

Default Re: Male vs. Female Hunting Dogs

My experience is simply that - I claim no great expertise. I have raised and trained four labs over the past fifteen or twenty years, two male, two female. All were great friends and superb gun dogs. They worked ducks, geese, grouse, pheasant, and doves.

In my case, both females were absolutely insane field dogs. Insane, I mean, to retrieve. I steadied them to shot but not to wing. They both were horrible whinners, though, and at times in the blinds and stubble fields their between-bird antics drove me up a wall. I never had that problem with my males, although I believe I trained all four the same way.

I suspect that the girls self-conditioned. No birds/no shots/no work. If a dog is allowed to whine (my bad) birds will eventually come by. "Ahah," says the dog, "Know I know had to make them fly!"

I have choke-me-up memories of all four, so in conclusion, I think sex is less important than heart and a firm but loyal trainer. Whatever you decide, enjoy the bloomin' heck out of your pup!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
TrapperJohn
Steelhead

Perhaps I can add some information on the gender-based discriminatory pricing.

The last lab that I bought from a breeder (Diamond R Kennels, Bozeman, Montana) offered this explanation. Apparently AKC has put a lot of pressure on professional breeders to discourage the sale of unneutered dogs. The implied threat is this: "Play along with AKC or we just might try holding back on the registration of your litters."

Supposedly, the AKC stand is driven by the desire to mess with the vast army of backyard breeders and "puppy farmers." I have no idea if that is, in fact, the explanation, but it seems plausible in an age of subtle regulation and holier-than-thou mindsets.

For my part, I paid a $250 "premium" for a male pup. I have had three dogs from this kennel, met the breeders personally at their home and kennel, and, given their national reputation, have no reason to believe that Pete and Tanya would attempt to dupe me.

Please folks, before any AKC afficiondos skewer me, I would love to be corrected if I am wrong.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
SlamminKokes
Tuna!

The AKC has nothing to do with breeders charging an extra amount of money for females over males! Breeders feel Females are worth a bit more because they can be bred and the new owners can make more money off of them! Now if the breeder has a no breeding clause in a contract, they shouldnt charge anymore for a female over a male!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
SlamminKokes
Tuna!

OOps, forgot the actual question! I have a female Britt and a male pup out of her. The male is pretty darn worthless in the field! Great housedog but not much of a hunter for some reason! Now ive sold male pups to people who are thrilled with their hunting performance! Its a matter of personal choice whether you want a male or female! I dont believe the hype that a male dog is a hard charger over a female, cause ive seen quite the opposite so many times!
Old 05-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
stillwater97
Chromer

My female Britt was an awesome hunter. She is 14, almost 15 and is really too arthritic to hunt anymore. She was an absolute beast to train to retrieve and was extremely stubborn when she was younger. That being said, I've never hunted over a harder working and intense dog than her. Watching that dog hunt in heavy cover was just amazing.
The male we had growing up was easier, but seemed to be less spirited.
That being said, I think it boils down to the individual dog's personality more that what sex they are.

After she goes, I'll be looking for another britt for sure.

Mark
stillwater97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
LowerRiver
Chromer

A couple points on the subject from me: I have a friend with a male golden retriever, everytime we are in the field and another male dog is around we either have to go through the puffy chest, hair standing up on the back, I'm tougher than you routine or he just gets right to the point and a fight ensues. Maybe just his dog, I'm not real sure. The other is having to deal with the peeing on everything issue.
LowerRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger

Ancillary experience as we don't hunt our dogs. Have had a female brittney, lab and beagle. A male hound and lab. We will only have females from now on. They are smarter, calmer and cleaner. We neuter every pet so we don't have to worry about heats or visiting other houses with the males.
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:20 PM   #10
Mad Mikey
Sturgeon

I'll never get another male dog again. When I get a place where I can have a dog again it'll be a female yellow lab, possibly a GSP or Wiemeraner.

Males either want to hump everything or fight it, no more of that for me..
Mad Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
baltz526
King Salmon

females bond with the owner, males put up with their owner
Old 05-31-2007, 06:13 PM   #12
taggbro
Steelhead

Never owned a male. Never will. Mostly because I own females and I don't want males around because of season, etc.

I've trained a few males though. I'm not going to say they were easier or harder to train. Just different. Less sensitive.

I've hunted with some awesome males and females. I hunt with my (female) shorthairs sister and father and all three dogs hunt equally as well as the other so it's a toss up.

In a nutshell, I'm pretty neutral on it and you shouldn't choose because a male will outperform a female or vice versa. It comes down to preference. I personally would rather have a female and I do.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #13
mcknerkneykak
Steelhead

Had a female dog once. Will never own another.
Someone gave me a mare once. Will never own another.
Had a wife once-12 years. Will never own another.
--and he lived happily ever after.

Everybody's different. Every dog is different.
mcknerkneykak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:47 PM   #14
Kelpers7
Coho

I have owned male and female GSP. They both have their gender related qualities that make them either more or less attractive to certain people. I believe you would do better to choose your dog by its abilities, temperament, and bloodline, rather than by gender. Also if you are going to train consider George hickox method. You can buy or rent the videos from Lion Country Supply. http://www.georgehickox.com/index.html

www.LCSupply.com
Old 06-01-2007, 05:12 AM   #15
duckcall
Steelhead

I've trained 3 GSPs, all males. Males are more aggressive in the field. Also, in my opinion a larger, big chested male, will run longer. I hunted chukars and GSPs will run their feet off for you. They can also be a bit more headstrong, but persistant training can diminish it. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:41 AM   #16
Capin' Dan
Ifish Nate

Spayed female no problem Intact female then her heat cycles will yreally set you off. Remember if you are hunting public areas with a Female in heat don't get upset when everyones male comes a calling. It is their instinct and what they do.

With that said I have found that I prefer males in the duck blind maybe its that they seem to me tobe a bit more durable. upland birds its females that I prefer.

I joke that males have their priortiies, Breed it, Fight it, and Pee on it. then we will go hunting. Females seem to ge to work faster.

Their are exceptions to all of these. My #1 fusteration is heat cycles with females though.
Delta Waterfowl Sponser member #38
Deer Island OR.
Capin' Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #17
Northwest Pest
Tuna!

Have had males and females. Seems to me that both can be extremly great in all aspects but hands down a bigger stronger male will always out hunt a female given all other things are equal between the two. Most male animals are dominant if they want to be because they have superior strength. Humans are alot like dogs. Example: Top rated female golfer in the world 1 on 1 against top rated male golfer in the world, both playing off mens tees. Top rated female boxer in the world against top rated male boxer in the world. You get my point.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #18
toas243
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcknerkneykak View Post
Had a female dog once. Will never own another.
Someone gave me a mare once. Will never own another.
Had a wife once-12 years. Will never own another.
--and he lived happily ever after.

Everybody's different. Every dog is different.
You may have issues with femalesJ/K
toas243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #19
nobrownline
Ifish Nate

Go look at a litter of pups and pick the pup you like best! Both have pro's and con's.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #20
pintail
Coho

I've had both male and female GSP's and had great luck with both. I used them for chucker, quail, pheasant and ducks. I've always felt that the females were the better hunters and got along with other dogs better. However, that being said, I now hunt with a German Wirehair male (neutered) and believe that this is the best dog I've ever had. I think it mainly depends on how much time you spend with your dog. Turn him into your hunting partner and you won't be sorry.
pintail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #21
fishstik
Tuna!

Female.
CCA Member! I.D.#1367098
fishstik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #22
rimrock
Sturgeon

Gender really makes no difference in hunting ability, personality and so on. Physical size and the like sure. But don’t pick because a male is this way or a female is that way since it’s meaningless. Males and females are NOT this or that. Our individual bias as dog owners will but that’s not an equation for selecting a biddable dog.

Evaluate each dog in the litter individually. An alpha female will be more headstrong as an adult than a non-alpha male in the litter regardless and visa versa. Ya see it’s not gender so much as the pack behavior of dog which is established by how each dog is hardwired.

If you want a male/female cause ya like males or a female than fine, its mostly a roll of the dice to begin with. But if you really don’t care about the gender and want the most biddable dog available than pick that dog out of the litter than find out its gender.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:43 PM   #23
Tilla
King Salmon

Unless I have some specific breeding program going on, two rules (Labs), I don't pick my dogs by gender or the color. I pick by the breeding.
Sure like my daddy's girls, but a brush bustin' ice breaking male has it's uses, but heck when they're your best friends, it doesn't matter. Really!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #24
James in Idaho
Ifish Nate

A spayed female lab is just about the most easy dog to live with. And with lab, unless you're really into breeding very well bred labs are not that tough to find. Let someone else put up with an intact female, and don't worry about 'em coming into heat on September 1st. Maybe someday I'll listen to my own advice!!!!!!!!!

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #25
Duckwheat
Tuna!

Females seem to be a lttle easier to live with. Training and response. have had a couple of knuckle head males over the years.

I am going to back to an all female crew from here out.

Duckwheat

Part time Motivational Team Leader and Life Coach.
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #26
onstep
Tuna!

I'm a male guy. Love having a male and wouldn't own a female for anything. They are Bitches nuff said.
onstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #27
Herm
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Perhaps I can add some information on the gender-based discriminatory pricing.

The last lab that I bought from a breeder (Diamond R Kennels, Bozeman, Montana) offered this explanation. Apparently AKC has put a lot of pressure on professional breeders to discourage the sale of unneutered dogs. The implied threat is this: "Play along with AKC or we just might try holding back on the registration of your litters."

Supposedly, the AKC stand is driven by the desire to mess with the vast army of backyard breeders and "puppy farmers." I have no idea if that is, in fact, the explanation, but it seems plausible in an age of subtle regulation and holier-than-thou mindsets.

For my part, I paid a $250 "premium" for a male pup. I have had three dogs from this kennel, met the breeders personally at their home and kennel, and, given their national reputation, have no reason to believe that Pete and Tanya would attempt to dupe me.

Please folks, before any AKC afficiondos skewer me, I would love to be corrected if I am wrong.
I too have a Diamond R black lab....she a machine. My dad, brother and several friends have diamond R dogs as well. I would say its a crapshoot....I know the smaller dogs will last longer both in the field and in life; that being said females usually are smaller. Males are more aggresive and powerful. consider the terrain and other elements to make your decision, but I can guarantee your quality of life is about to improve having a hunting dog.

good luck and enjoy
Old 06-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #28
Two Fister
Sturgeon

Our female lab (fixed since 2) was a great and spirited dog that we miss dearly. She was one of the most loyal dogs I've seen, but she was headstrong as the day is long. She was definitely an Alpha female and fought more than any dog I've owned including terriers and an exceptionally grumpy Malamute. She was a bully when it came to smaller, weaker and older dogs, pouncing on them without mercy. The kids could pull her ears and tail, even when she was getting sick, and she would wag her tail and give them a lick. She also tried to get in a fight at one of her last vet appointments when she was riddled with cancer.

IMHO, gender doesn't make the dog more or less spirited. Pick an Alpha dog and you'll have a handful to deal with. They'll also probably make a more determined hunter, but you'll have to work harder and longer to get them to that point.

One good thing so far about male dogs is no dead yellow spots in the grass!
TF
Two Fister is offline   Reply With Quote