penn 320 gt2 rebuild - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Tech Tips and Keepers

Old 04-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
FishyBuckSlayer
Steelhead

Default penn 320 gt2 rebuild

Admins... I tried to post to Tech Tips but do not have permission. I hope this is an ok spot.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...nn+320+rebuild

Alantani... I owe you a huge thank you for your article on the Penn 320 rebuild. Yesterday, after a great day of sturgeon fishing with my family, I had the bright idea to do some reel maintenance. Had I read your article first, I could have saved myself a lot of panic.

Here's the story...

THOUGHT: These reels could use some fresh grease. Heck, I'm an engineer. How hard could it be?

ACTION:
1) Grabbed a couple screw drivers, pulled the handle, lever, and knob on the right side.
2) Pulled all screws from the right side.
3) Pulled the right side from the body of the reel and heard "boing"
4) Panic set in.
5) Pieces and springs started falling out.
6) Realized I just made a terrible mistake and should have checked ifish before I started.
7) Whined to my wife that I just "destroyed a good reel trying to do maintenance"
8) Googled "Penn 320 assembly" and got NOTHING of any use
9) Searched ifish for "Penn 320" and found Alantani's Tech Tip "penn 320 gt2 rebuild"
10) Went back down to the garage. Tried to assemble the reel. Got close but not perfect.
11) Bit the bullet and opened a second Penn 320 per Alantani's instructions. WOW!! That was easy.
12) Assembled the exploded reel by looking at the second reel and following Alantani's instructions.
13) Everything works PERFECTLY!!

Now, I just need to start all over; clean all the parts, re-lube, and assemble. THANK YOU IFISH, you saved me a humbling trip to Ollie Damon's with a bag of parts.

Jennie,
You will find a donation in the bucket for the help. What I saved on gas, humility, and repair makes ifish worth even more than I can afford to give but I really appreciate your work.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
FishyBuckSlayer
Steelhead

Default Re: penn 320 gt2 rebuild

Ok. Here's the scoop. I cleaned up all the parts using WD40, re-greased all 'em, assembled and photographed the whole process for your loving review. All part numbers referenced are from the Penn Parts List for Model 320GT2 identified as document [407-320GT2]
Step 1: See previous post. Don't do that
Step 2: Lay out all the parts as you removed them using Alantani's instructions.
Step 3: Clean all the parts

BEGIN Rebuild...
Step 1: Get grease, screw drivers, oil and dental tool laid out for easy access near the parts. (grease not shown).

Step 2: Lay out all your parts paying special attention to the order in which you removed the drag clutch assembly. I did not have drag grease handy. The clutch plates looked completely dry when I removed them so I did not grease them. I hope this is ok. If I made a terrible mistake, please let me know.

Step 3: Grease the Dog (15) and attach the Dog Spring (14) for later use. Grease and install Fiber Washer (4) on the Bridge Assembly (3). Grease and install the Main Gear (5)

Step 4: Install the clutch pack as 6,7,6,7s,6,7,6,7s,6,7 where
6=Friction Drag Washer (fiber)
7=Metal Drag Washer (slotted)
7s=Metal Drag Washer (round hole with keyed tabs on outer diameter)

Step 5: Grease and install Eccentric Cam (19) and Eccentric Spring (20) as shown. I chose to temporarily install the Eccentric Lever Assembly (21) and the Eccentric Screw (22) at this time to hold the Eccentric Cam (19) in place.

Step 6: Install both Clutch Springs (18). Grease Pinion Gear (13) and Pinion Yoke (12) and Eccentric Jack (11). Place Pinion Gear (13) into the arch of the Pinion Yoke (12). Set Yoke/Gear assembly on top of Clutch Springs. Key the Eccentric Jack (11) together with the Eccentric Cam (19) and align the Jack with the black post molded into the inside of the Right Side Plate (1).

Step 7: This part gets a little tricky as the Clutch Springs (18) want to push everything out of the Right Side Plate (1) until the Upper Bridge Screws (17) are installed. Make your job easier by making certain the Eccentric Cam (19) is in the position shown below allowing the Eccentric Jack (11) to move as far from the center of the Right Side Plate (1) as possible.
Hold the Eccentric Jack (11) with a finger while turning the entire Right Side Plate (1) assembly vertical so that you can install the bridge assembly including the clutch assembly without spilling the clutch components or the pinion assembly. Install the bridge/clutch assembly in the Right Side Plate (1) on top of the Eccentric Jack (11).

Step 8: Insert the Dog (15) with the Dog Spring (14) attached below the Bridge Assembly (3) plate. Do NOT attach the spring yet as it will be easier to do so in a minute.
Align the Bridge Assembly (3) plate to the molded posts in the Right Side Plate and clamp all the pieces together using light finger pressure. Use the dental tool to align the components through which the Upper Bridge Screws (17) will pass. NOTE: these are the screws that are NOT completely threaded.

Step 9: Install the Upper Bridge Screws (17) but do not tighten. NOTE: these are the screws that are NOT completely threaded. You should be able to release the finger pressure you were using to hold everything together now.
Using your dental tool, align the holes in the Bridge Assembly (3) plate, the Dog (15) and the Right Side Plate (1).

Step 10: Install the Lower Bridge Screws (16) but do not tighten.

Step 11: Use the dental tool to catch the Dog Spring (14) on the tensioning post molded into the Right Side Plate (1).

Step 12: Tighten the Upper (17) and Lower (16) Bridge Screws.

Step 13: Grease and install the Spacing Sleeve (9) followed by the Star Drag (10), Tension Spring (8), Handle Assembly (24), Handle Assembly Screw (23) [put the pliers down and use the Penn supplied handle screw wrench], and Handle Lock Screw (23A). Also install the Right Side Thrust Spring (41), Metal Thrust Washer (40C), Rubber Thrust Washer (40D), and Spool Tension Control Cap (26B). Do not tighten cap. Just give it a few turns. You will do this on the water before you cast. NOTE: 40C, 40D, and 26B remained together as an assembly for me.

Step 14: Remove the Eccentric Screw (22) and the Eccentric Cam Lever Assembly (21) to allow you to put the Right Side Ring (2) on the Right Side Plate (1). Reinstall the Eccentric Cam Lever Assembly (21) and the Eccentric Screw (22).

Step 15: "Lube the spool shaft (key #29L), the left side bearing (key #40), the idler gear (key #64), the worm gear (key #42), the right side bearing that's pressed into the bridge (key #3), and the eccentric cam (key #19) with a drop or two of corrosion x." Re-assemble the reel and you are done.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
IDWITHELD
Sturgeon

FBS, nice post.
I think the drag grease is used to prevent water penetration and swelling of the disks.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
FishyBuckSlayer
Steelhead

Hey, y'all,
I have 3 Penn 320GT2s. Only one has been fully disassebled by me. My Penn Assembly document shows the Tension Spring (8) to be between the Star Drag (10) and the Handle Assembly (24).
HOWEVER, All reels (including one new in the box) have the tension spring between the Spacing Sleeve (9) and the Start Drag (10).
Anyone know which is correct?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
MattPark
Sturgeon

I've got 2 320GT2s and 1 321GTi, none have ever been apart.

The schematic is a little goofy in how it's put together IMO, but it clearly shows the tension spring beneath the star drag and not between the star drag and the handle assembly. This is also how it is setup on all of the reels.

There really wouldn't be a need for a tension spring between the star drag and handle anyway.

I also picked up a few sets of drag washers today at Ollie Damons, and I specifically asked if I should put anything on any the washers (including 320 washers) before I installed them. He made it very clear that they should be installed "bone dry."
Old 04-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
FishyBuckSlayer
Steelhead

MP,
Thanks for the info.
The schematic must be wrong on the Penn Document. I scanned the part in question just so you didn't think I was a complete moron. See below.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:40 PM   #7
MattPark
Sturgeon

I assumed that was the case. I don't know why they would have 2 different schematics for the same reel, especially one that's incorrect. These reels are all less than a year old if that makes any difference. This schematic is off one I bought just a couple weeks ago.

I apologize for the picture quality. I'm not a photographer, and I don't have a scanner here

Old 04-17-2007, 08:54 AM   #8
Robalo Bill
Chromer

I just started repairing and upgrading reels myself. With the long wet winter...also in engineering needed to take stuff apart...not enough features. Followed Alan Tani's' posts rebuilding and upgrading reels...Alan has alot of excellent short cuts. Ollie Damons has a good stock of those little dog springs that vaporize as they hit the speed of sound flying across the room. I have a link for all the reel schematics...however it's on a non-sponsor site. I'm happy to email this link...just pop me a note.

Bill
Robalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #9
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

I would like to post this to tech tips, but I don't know if this is a copyright issue. Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Jen
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote