New bow - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 03-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
beaverfan
Steelhead

Talking New bow

my wife has given me the O.K. for a new bow for Christmas, so my question is a simple one, What type of bow would YOU buy in the $500-$700 range, and why?

beaverfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Cornbread
Tuna!

Default Re: New bow

Wes Wallace take down 66" longbow. Can't beat the service, the price and the quality.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
Santiam338
Ifish Nate

Wes Wallace or Brackenbury takedown recurve...I would also add Blacktail,but that might be a bit out of your price range...
Old 03-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
sliverpicker
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiam338 View Post
Wes Wallace or Brackenbury takedown recurve...I would also add Blacktail,but that might be a bit out of your price range...
sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
sunshinefisherman
Tuna!

Matthews switchback I have the LX and it is a forgiving and quiet bow. I have had other archers remark at how silent this bow is with only the factory dampening and two string leechs. While I have not shot one, I have heard many good things about the Switchback and it's varients http://mathewsinc.com/index.asp?Item...91&pageID=bows. I don't think you could wrong with any Matthews. All their bows have a lifetime warrenty for the original owner.

I recently purchased a Bowtech Diamond Edge for my daughter's first "real" bow. At $299 it was an excellent value. It came all set up and the only thing that I changed was the fork rest which I changed to a Whisker Biscut. It has a huge range of adjustment of both draw weight and length so it can grow with her and should still be fine for her as an adult. It is a 50# bow but I was able to turn down to 22# for her to begin with. I looked at several higher priced Bowtechs and think they are a good value and seem to have some cutting edge technology. There is one with a fulcrum arm mid-limb that was really cool.
http://www.bowtecharchery.com/main.html

I suggest Broken Arrow in Milwaukie.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
sunshinefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:54 AM   #6
SandyRiverFisher
Ifish Nate

Uh oh, bow shopping. Have fun with that. Dozens of choices, thousands of options, millions of opinions. If your indicisive like I am its a living nightmare.

Im shooting a switchback XT. I like it, probably wouldnt trade it for anything else out there. I dont know what theyre going for this year, last year they would have been just a tad out of your price range. My dad shoots a jennings recurve, identical to the Fred bear compunds they now carry at Sportsmans. They are every bit as quiet as a mathews. My next bow will probably be one of the above mentioned recurves.
SandyRiverFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:51 AM   #7
PullShootExplode
Tuna!

I would have to say go to Sportsmans Warehouse grab a Ross bow and your good to go. Check out the Ross Cardiac. if you do a search at archery talk there is alot of info. If your looking for a smooth, fast, and forgiving bow I would look at Ross they only make single cam bows and the fit and finish are excellent. I have a 334 and am waiting on a Cardiac. Shoot them all and go with the one that fits and feels the best to you. You really cant go wrong with the bows made these days.
PullShootExplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:57 AM   #8
RAGHORN!
Ifish Nate

I've been told that the new Fred Bear/ Primo's bows are really good??? (I haven't shot one yet) but they are in your price range!
http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/bows/compound/truth/

Go with what feels good in your hands, I would go to a shop that has as many different bows in your price range as possible, and shoot every single one! What feels comfortable in your hand? if you have big thick hands like me? a skinny handle feels better than a thick handle? Which one pulls and breaks the smoothest? Which one shoots smooth? (little vibration), which one is the quitest? There are so many questions you have to answer when buying a new bow, I definatley wouldn't be looking for answers on the internet???? Go shoot as many bows as you can!!!!!!! Good luck!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
BlacktailBowhunter
Ifish Nate

A friend of mine just went throught the same dilema (what bow to buy).

He settled on a Bowtech Tom Cat. He purchase it at Broken Arrow and also bought a release and arrows. Total came to about $750.00.

I recomended that he take it to Bowtech's prostaff in Eugene just to make sure that it was tuned properly, which he did, and they did make a few adjustments for him as well as give him some shooting tips which are invaluable.

The Tom Cat is suppose to be a real good mid range bow, and a plus is that they are a local company with a great reputation. If you consider a Bowtech, go down to Eugene and check out their proshop before you buy.

You may want to check ebay. I saw a 2005 Hoyt Ultratech go for $325.00, which I thought was a smoking deal considering I paid $729.00 for mine in 2005.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
micah
Chromer

There a brand new '05 Vipertec on E-bay for $500
Old 03-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
beaverfan
Steelhead

I guess that I left out one pretty important part, I want a compound bow. I guess I had more to drink last night when i posted that than I thought. Sorry.
beaverfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
toas243
Tuna!

All have to say is Bow Tech cause they are local and they have great Costumer Service
toas243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #13
luckyr
Chromer

This is the same question I have been asking myself for months. Yesterday I did it! First I thought it was going to be a Bear Truth than Kodiak Titan, but I ended with Bowtech Allegiance. I got it from Broken Arrow because of Backtailbowhunter's recommendation. Plus I wanted to go with a good shop for service. I just couldn't part with the $850 for the Matthew's. The bowtech draw cycle is a little rough and has a little shock but I can live with those because of the speed and wack. Plus Broken Arrow had the sight I wanted and a lot of good accessory advice. I may have paid a touch more than I should have but I like supporting a small businessman and a local manufacture. He spent a lot of time with me. It really doesn't matter what quality bow you buy its not the bow, its the hunter.

Last edited by luckyr; 04-01-2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
luckyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #14
steelhead22
Ifish Nate

I LOVE my Hoyt Powertech. Great bow. $500, so you've got some left over for the $500 in accesories you're going to need!

Shot the Matthew's....another outstanding bow.

I shot A LOT of bows when I was looking for my first last year, there's definitely a reason why Hoyt and Matthews are so common in the woods.
steelhead22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #15
micah
Chromer

At Archery World this week they are having a huge sale on everything in the store, including up to 40% off on complete bow packages. They sell Hoyt, Matthews, Martin, and Bear bows. They always have complete packages for sale. I saw a Hoyt Avenger package for around $700 last time I was there. Also the staff there is very friendly and knowledgeable. I just bought my Vectrix XL and there wasn't even a sale going and they still saved me almost $90 just on the bare bow. Give them a look also.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #16
mbklmann
Steelhead

You should go to your local archery shop and shoot as many bows as you can. Who cares what name the bow has on it as long as its comfortable and smooth right? I would take a look and the new PSE X Force. PSE has really stepped up recently. I would look at bowtech, hoyt, mathews, martin, bear, and whatever else you can get your hands on. Good luck
mbklmann is offline   Reply With Quote