Newport Halibut - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
Kingkiller
Chromer

Default Newport Halibut

Took off bright and early Saturday morning headed south. Got to our hot holes from last year and not a boat in sight. What, where is everyone? There were 50 boats here last year and everyone was catching halibut or so it seemed. With 3POB we dropped out baits down and right away halibut on. OK we thought this is going to be great. But as the drift went on and on and nothing we decided to go further south. Ahhhhh the Thumb that is where everyone is at. Thinking it must be hot to have all the boats here we dropped in. Hour later and nothing we looked around and a lot of the boats disappeared. There goes Ron M. right past us heading out must of got his limit. Others picked up and took off. We heard of a bite going on to the west so we went prospecting. Nothing so off we went back to the south end. No boats so we pulled into another old hot spot sat for an hour with nothing and called it a day.
No wind, not moving. IMO you need to find the halibut can't wait for them to move and find you. We did use the kicker motor ever now and then to get some movement. I think it would have been a good day to have trolled.
Looking forward to at least another all-depth day.

Kingkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
ron m
King Salmon

Default Re: Newport Halibut

Well, yeah, we left the thumb area, but without any halibut. Stopped at the SE corner of the YRCA and after a couple more hours, we had 2 halibut for the 4 of us. We had released an approx 32" halibut early on a prospecting spot, but no halibut bites for us in the thumb area.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
grim
Chromer

We fished in the general area of the Thumb all day. It was slow for us and slow for most of the folks on the radio. A 40" came pretty quickly and then nothing until around noon. Then a 36" came to the boat, I kept it because - well, just because. Then nothing until a bit after 2:00 when a 50" fish decided to join his buddies in our fish box. Only one other bite all day. A very slow day overall but we ended up with our fish. A great day on the water.
grim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
CGRFish
Tuna!

Thank you kingkiller! Now I'm not as discouraged about yesterday. We started off on numbers outside the pile that have been golden for us, without even a nibble. Headed to the thumb with the crowd, yielding only a red to test the new descender we set up. Then bounced to two other sets of numbers from a chart kingkiller shared with me sometime ago, without a sniff. I honestly saw only one nibble all day I thought might have been a halibut bite.

Rather than take the boat in empty we headed down off of seal rock, and immediately found some blacks. To continue a somewhat frustrating day was getting two nice ling cod to the surface, and losing both of them before we got them in the boat.

The low point of the day was the fuel dock where we were told everyone had had a great day, with lots of fish brought in. We could not figure out what we had done wrong.

It was a challenging day. Both my crew had come off rough weeks, and they had plenty of time to catch up on their sleep. It was a tough days fishing, but I must admit I had a great day, it was so good to be out on the salt, and the fish would be a bonus.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
dlove
Steelhead

Got our first non chartered butts. With the help of a fellow salty dog getting us in the right area to fish. Let the first 3 ping pongs back. Hoping we didn't make a mistake, it got slow. We slowly moved north each drift test. Then bam, got a double. 38 and 43.
Great day on the water, was able to cruise 30mph on the way in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
chrome obsession
King Salmon

We went back to an area we fished last year that was on fire. Low and behold it was on fire once again. South-ish end of the rock pile. Landed 9 and got the 4 we wanted. Lost a few too. All before 11am. Took my father and I was hoping he would get the big one of the day and he did. 😁 Good Father's Day present. Shad was the bait of choice.

God is good
24' NR Seahawk.
Served 7 years in the Army

OTC 09,10,14,15,16,17. Team Dominion/No Bail/Meanwhile..
chrome obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
Mark Mc
King Salmon

I went for a ride on the Crackerjack yesterday. We had limits for 16 people in one drift, done by 9:30. No giant fish, but decent.

It was a great day. Until the drive back on Hwy 20, and someone in the west-bound lane decided to pass in front of me. I ended up on the right shoulder, barely avoiding a head-on collision. It was the closest call I have ever had in 24 years of driving Hwy 20 to the coast.

Pro staffer for generic aspirin
Mark Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
huntntrap
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron m View Post
Well, yeah, we left the thumb area, but without any halibut. Stopped at the SE corner of the YRCA and after a couple more hours, we had 2 halibut for the 4 of us. We had released an approx 32" halibut early on a prospecting spot, but no halibut bites for us in the thumb area.
ron m
We hooked a double 40" 48" within 100yards of you. Next couple drifts we got nothing, had trouble drifting over my mark. Next drift I held the boat over the spot and hooked a 42" immediately. I think the fish were there but you had to drop it on there head to get them to bite.
huntntrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #9
ron m
King Salmon

Glad you got some nice fish, somewhat frustrated that we took so long to get two, but that leaves lots of room on my tag to fish other days!

We eventually went to the 20 min rule, moved several times with no bites, did the same at the SE corner of the YRCA, finally found a couple of biters.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
wak'm&stak'm
Sturgeon

They maybe much much closer....cough, cough, and bigger, cough cough cough.
wak'm&stak'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
Kingkiller
Chromer

I think Saturday was slow due to the drift. If you move you catch fish but at 1/4 mile in 2 hours it is slow. We aren't trout fishing we are halibut fishing. Like huntntrap said you had to drop it on their head and we just weren't luck in that regards.
For being in close they are there but not in the numbers we like, not yet. We had a great drift inshore in our honey hole. We did not get a bite but my buddy lost a big one and landed a 45 inch on Wednesday fishing right next to us. We were at the 40 fathom line a little south of the light house hole.
Mark I had the same thing happen to me on the way back to my place in AZ. Came over the hill double yellow line to see a white pick-up in my lane passing a semi. I went to my right on the shoulder, he went to his left. Must of thought I was going to go between him and the semi. I went further right into the desert, bouncing over rocks and through brush. I saw him pass and turned left to end back on the hwy. Surprised my underwear was still wearable. I also had my right arm in a cast from the surgery. IMO miracles happen daily.
Good to see you are safe. I worked in Newport for 18 years driving from Philomath. i would tell the folks I worked with not to buy a lottery ticket but life insurance on me.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #12
Critr Gitr
Ifish Nate

Location: Veneta (The Gateway to Elmira) West of The Peoples Republic of Eugene

Grinder all day then the bite took off at 3pm 6 fish in 30 min ... 30kts heading home with 29 spiders to boot.. we were the only boat at the spot when we left... hot bite

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Katie Lynn 22' Arima Sea Legend HT
Team Squid Marks
Oregon Master Hunter

Critr Gitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #13
FullDeck
Coho

Well, I guess we owe it to fess up. 10 hrs fishing the south rock pile and only released fish to show for it. Beautiful day, the radio was full of fish. Ch 78 was a PIA to listen to. Some people think it's a personal radio and sound like middle school lunch crowd. Ouch. I did appreciate the guy with three POB say they only needed three to tag out. Home now with no fish and cleaning the boat.... why am I still happy about it all? Congrats to those who hooked up. Can't wait till next chance...
"Gear and tackle alike have to be suited to the fish, and the diversity of size and shape, apetite and temperament of fish is amazing. There is no need for a fisherman ever to become bored." - The Ashley Book of Knots
FullDeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #14
Threeweight
Tuna!

Wild Card started Saturday fishing the vicinity of the Thumb and a few other spots that have produced for us this year. We got a 38" by 8:00 AM, then a really fat 44" an hour later. Then it got scratchy... we moved several times, and caught a 2 more 36"-ish inch fish, releasing both in hopes of picking up something bigger. Big mistake! Around noon it went completely dead.

We fished the area for another 3 hours, then picked up and moved to the SE corner of the Rockpile. After some trial and error with a weird drift, we tried some old #'s of mine and got into a pack of hungry chickens. Finished the day with a slightly larger than a tennis-racket sized fish for a limit, then headed in at 5:30.

Wish we had gotten better fish, but it was a beautiful day on the water. Could not have asked for a better ocean... we ran home at 30 mph... was doing 35+ briefly, till I looked down at my fuel burn!

Last edited by Threeweight; 06-18-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Threeweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 AM   #15
SouthernCharm
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critr Gitr View Post
Grinder all day then the bite took off at 3pm 6 fish in 30 min ... 30kts heading home with 29 spiders to boot.. we were the only boat at the spot when we left... hot bite

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Way to get it done!: Thanks for the shout while out there. See ya soon.
SouthernCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:02 AM   #16
meathead
Fry

Slow start for us then around 9 bam 50" then four more until noon then died. 39 was our small one, nice day.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #17
SharkTank
Steelhead

Saturday was pretty good to us. 53 & 47
Attached Images

SharkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #18
SharkTank
Steelhead

On Sunday we got a 41 and a 31 5 miles out from the lighthouse in 225'
SharkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #19
adrenaline
King Salmon

Started SW Pile Sat, broke one off, & than 3 more hrs for nada, spent the rest of the day at the N Thumb, scratched out 4 small fish, 3 Crab.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #20
Chass
Sturgeon

We had planned to prospect tuna but it took too long to get our halibut.

We got our limit but nothing big to speak of. Got in a little later than normal but we had a beautiful day on the water. Ken and I got our 13 year old daughters their first halibut!

Chass
ct
Old 06-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #21
blacktale
Cutthroat

Tried our go to spot on the east side of the rock pile for 5 hours nothing but lingcod went home empty handed, wish we had more time on the water for fishing/prospecting, the drift was the slowest i've seen might of had something to do with the slow/no bite.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #22
Kingkiller
Chromer

Good job on getting the girls their first halibut. Will be taking my 11 year old Granddaughter and her friend over camping for 5 days. Hoping to get them out and see if they get seasick. If not maybe a black rockfish or ling. But the conditions don't look good enough to play on the ocean. They would love to see a whale.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #23
The Pew
Ifish Nate

King killer- if you end up landlocked, run them up to the Otter Crest Scenic Viewpoint. They spot whales regularly up there. There is also a viewing are inside the store where you can sit out of the weather to watch for them.

The Pew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #24
adrenaline
King Salmon

Usually a early morning window nearshore before the N Wind kicks in. Always good to hear the next generations getting in on the action, nice Job Dads.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #25
Chass
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingkiller View Post
Good job on getting the girls their first halibut. Will be taking my 11 year old Granddaughter and her friend over camping for 5 days. Hoping to get them out and see if they get seasick. If not maybe a black rockfish or ling. But the conditions don't look good enough to play on the ocean. They would love to see a whale.
My daughter has been out a few times over the years. She always gets a little queasy but she puked a couple times when we went out for tuna two years ago. She hasn't been as interested in fishing because of that. She wanted to try halibut this year and was willing to tough it out. I found her a Scopolamine patch this time. It worked wonders. She had no side effects and she didn't get queasy at all. I am super happy that she can fish with me without getting sick. She asked when the next tuna trip is after our long day on the water for halibut. So, you might try scopolamine if they do . . . it certainly helped Francesca.

Good luck getting them out!
Chass
ct
Old 06-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #26
fishitis
Steelhead

Similar story here. Started at SE end of rockpile, one good hit that didn't stay on. Moved out to the thumb and did a few drifts with one good hit again that didn't stick. Frustrating to say the least. I would like to get better at this fishery, but limited on time to explore.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #27
DJensen
Fry

OK. So this may be a dumb question, but is the YRCA and Rockpile closed for all bottom fishing (even during all depth)? Do you mean you are fishing on the outside of the closed area? I am guessing you can put those numbers into your GPS and hang around the outside. I guess we have to wait for another all depth, but then can we fish only around the YRCA?
DJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #28
Threeweight
Tuna!

Yes, the conservation area is closed to ALL bottom fishing. You can find a map and way points to mark the closed area here:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/regul.../stonewall.pdf

This brings up a sore point to me... fishing out around the thumb on Saturday, I saw several orange floaters left to die on the surface by sport boats. Seriously guys, descender devices are now mandatory to have on board and ready to use when fishing halibut and other bottom fish. Leaving those fish on the surface to die does nothing but increase the likelihood of more restrictive regs and reduced fishing opportunity for ALL of us in future years!

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/recom...kfish_down.asp

You can buy a Shelton descender at Fisherman's or the Newport marina store for $10, or make your own for even less. There is simply no excuse for any angler who can afford to go halibut fishing for leaving those orange fish to die on the surface.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #29
The Pew
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJensen View Post
OK. So this may be a dumb question, but is the YRCA and Rockpile closed for all bottom fishing (even during all depth)? Do you mean you are fishing on the outside of the closed area? I am guessing you can put those numbers into your GPS and hang around the outside. I guess we have to wait for another all depth, but then can we fish only around the YRCA?

Bottom fishing is generally restricted outside 30 fathom during all depth seasons. Regs are here along with waypoints for 30 fathom line. http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/finfi...port/index.asp

We have had a few years where all depth bled into October when the 30 fathom line restriction is over. I think they updated the regs this year so you could retain rockfish and halibut if that happens again.

The stonewall conservation area is closed year round. If your going to fish near it, put the waypoints in your plotter/gps. Create a route out of the points, make sure your routes are set to display and you'll have an easy way to see the closure area.

The Pew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #30
JerryM
Sturgeon

Try your numbers from 4 years ago. Areas I fished then had died off but this year are hot again. I am starting to believe there are cohorts that migrate together in cycle.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #31
Tfresh
Steelhead

I haven't been out for halibut this year, but I don't hear much about the chicken ranch. Have people been getting halibut there this year?
Tfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #32
Timber Tech
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chass View Post
We had planned to prospect tuna but it took too long to get our halibut.

We got our limit but nothing big to speak of. Got in a little later than normal but we had a beautiful day on the water. Ken and I got our 13 year old daughters their first halibut!

Chass
ct
Yep, common sense won the day. If only we could of got them fish a little quicker...

Thanks for the trip Bro. It was fun teaching you boys how to fight a fish!
Next time I'll host.

Big Red gets out of the shop next week so some tunas are going to die!

She just don't look right inside.
Attached Images

Timber Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #33
chrome obsession
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Tech View Post
Yep, common sense won the day. If only we could of got them fish a little quicker...

Thanks for the trip Bro. It was fun teaching you boys how to fight a fish!
Next time I'll host.

Big Red gets out of the shop next week so some tunas are going to die!

She just don't look right inside.
Geesh. Look at that bayliner next to Change order lol. Looks like a mini toy boat or something. Glad she's almost fixed Ian. ✌🏻

God is good
24' NR Seahawk.
Served 7 years in the Army

OTC 09,10,14,15,16,17. Team Dominion/No Bail/Meanwhile..
chrome obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #34
Just One More
Cutthroat

This last week the crew all bought electric reels so we wanted to go to deeper water.
Started out at the chicken ranch on saturday , by noon we had 2 small fish.
We released one, so we moved to the south end of the pile and scraped up 2 more , released another small one then moved to off the light house nwhere we put a 43 and a 42 in the boat .
I also caught a skate that must have been about 80 lbs.
Sunday it was back to the light house where we scraped up a 42 /43 and a 39
So all and all it was a pretty good weekend.

21 ft North River Seahawk
Just one more
Just One More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #35
Just One More
Cutthroat

Nice fish Shark tank !
We were there in dry camp with you

21 ft North River Seahawk
Just one more
Just One More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #36
roosevelt
King Salmon

some beautiful fish folks!

one thing I have seen be a game changer when the drift is super slow is iron, 12oz diamond jigs are not wrong, maybe a 16oz in 100+ fathoms on those dead drift days. I have now seen it several times, iron out fish bait 3 or 4 to 1. if the forecast is for flat weather, having an iron rod makes a bunch of sense.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:27 AM   #37
grassman
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullDeck View Post
Well, I guess we owe it to fess up. 10 hrs fishing the south rock pile and only released fish to show for it. Beautiful day, the radio was full of fish. Ch 78 was a PIA to listen to. Some people think it's a personal radio and sound like middle school lunch crowd. Ouch. I did appreciate the guy with three POB say they only needed three to tag out. Home now with no fish and cleaning the boat.... why am I still happy about it all? Congrats to those who hooked up. Can't wait till next chance...
Like your attitude, no love for us Saturday and still loved it.
Ren
grassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:41 AM   #38
grassman
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
some beautiful fish folks!

one thing I have seen be a game changer when the drift is super slow is iron, 12oz diamond jigs are not wrong, maybe a 16oz in 100+ fathoms on those dead drift days. I have now seen it several times, iron out fish bait 3 or 4 to 1. if the forecast is for flat weather, having an iron rod makes a bunch of sense.
Interesting, something that sounds worth trying. Was thinking it hard to believe there weren't fish under us, just not tempted by our various baits. Bouncing jigs off their heads might have been the ticket.
grassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #39
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman View Post
Interesting, something that sounds worth trying. Was thinking it hard to believe there weren't fish under us, just not tempted by our various baits. Bouncing jigs off their heads might have been the ticket.
it really works. the first time I tried it was about 10 years ago when I was working on a charter boat, we were fishing the ranch, and there was no drift, I had a pretty light rod on board, for bottom fishing trips, loaded with 50lb PP, I had a jigging spoon that looked just like a Zzinger, but it was big, around 10oz, I hooked over half of the boat limit on that rod, I think it was responsible for 8 or 9 fish that day, fishing was brutally slow with bait, but that lead fish was making feel like a pretty good bite.

I have seen it equally as impressive several times since, and it's a fun way to catch them.

the last time I went halibut fishing (a couple years ago) we bought a case of sardines, and a case of tinker mackerel, there was 5 of us, and I also brought a salmon rod with an abu 5501 full of 50lb PP, I bought a few 12 oz diamond jigs just in case....luckily.

we were fishing double bait rigs, one hook with mack, one with sardine, and holding straight up and down in 400 feet of water, I broke out the light rod, and put a diamond jig on it, very quickly put one in the boat, then hooked another, handed it to a buddy and he lost it.

I let him fish the rod with the jig, the rest of us with bait, he hooked the rest of the fish on the diamond, including a couple small ones released, only one hooked and lost on good bait...eye opening.

you can get away with a much lighter rod too, making the whole experience more fun.

one day I had issues with rockfish, I put a big stainless commercial salmon siwash on it, and pinched the barb, hook a rockfish, keep giving it slack, and every time, they eventually shook the hook, didn't bring another rockfish to the boat, hook a halibut, and just stay tight the whole time, it was a beautiful thing.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #40
Quiet Riot

This is why I fish a cu pipe jig on the bottom of a modified mark mc setup. Even though most fish came on the herring above it, I did get a double on the pipe jig. More importantly, that rod has hooked 3:1 fish compared to all other setups the last few trips. If there's no bites I bang the bottom with the pipe jig a few times and it usually gets smacked in short order. Not the same results with regular ball weight setups we tried. And I know I'm still fishing after an attack of butter fish on our gear.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 11:56 PM   #41
jcarufo
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One More View Post
This last week the crew all bought electric reels so we wanted to go to deeper water.
Started out at the chicken ranch on saturday , by noon we had 2 small fish.
We released one, so we moved to the south end of the pile and scraped up 2 more , released another small one then moved to off the light house nwhere we put a 43 and a 42 in the boat .
I also caught a skate that must have been about 80 lbs.
Sunday it was back to the light house where we scraped up a 42 /43 and a 39
So all and all it was a pretty good weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
This is why I fish a cu pipe jig on the bottom of a modified mark mc setup. Even though most fish came on the herring above it, I did get a double on the pipe jig. More importantly, that rod has hooked 3:1 fish compared to all other setups the last few trips. If there's no bites I bang the bottom with the pipe jig a few times and it usually gets smacked in short order. Not the same results with regular ball weight setups we tried. And I know I'm still fishing after an attack of butter fish on our gear.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
About 2000, while up fishing the North end of Vancouver Island near Telegraph Cove, we met a gentleman named Mike Roberts who invented the 'Lucky Jig'. It was an chrome 3/4" octagonal pipe jig of a pound with a 7" double hootchie and treble that came 2" off the top. The Gibbs Mudraker is knockoff of his lure. He taught us to fish and concentrate on 'Neap Tides' (quarter moon' like the 18th, but more on that later) where there are periods of zero current where we could fish straight up and down and 'bang the bottom'. We would fish typical holding areas in depths up to 400' by dropping to the bottom, slowlly lifting a foot and then quickly dropping it back to bang the bottom. It's like ringing a dinner bell and eventually you cant lift the jig off the bottom; fish on. A deadly technique that has accounted for lots and lots of fish over the years, especially with a cucumber slice of Octopus hanging off the treble. A really fun way to fish too.
As to 'no current' on the 18th, I looked at my 'Tides and Current' program and looking at the closest current reporting station off the tips of Yaquina Bay, max current flow was only 1.6kts at its peak at 9:51 AM. For probably an hour each side of 8:05 AM and 2:01 PM (slack current) you probably noticed no current at all. Using the program and planning fishing times around those slacks, 'banging' becomes more effective and much more enjoyable, especially deep water spots like the 'Chicken Ranch". We 'bang' on the slacks and drift when it's moving. Salmon love those slacks too, especially the poison water of Buoy 10. Try banging during those slack current periods. You'll be surprized at how effective it can be. jc
jcarufo is offline   Reply With Quote