Every year there is at least one - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
jaredhatfield06
Steelhead

Default Every year there is at least one

So we all hear of the kid, wife, girlfriend or whoever, that has never hunted and got some awesome tag. A few years ago it was my wife on her Hart Mt. antelope tag. So who was it this year?

Well for Christmas last year I had the idea of taking my brother in law on a rifle spike hunt. He has never hunted before so I thought I would be the one to take him. We had a $100 limit on our gift so I went down and got him a hunting license, tag applications and a gift card. Well today my hunting plans all got changed. He got his walla walla spike tag plus a little extra, a bighorn sheep tag for the 543c3 hunt. I could not be happier for this young man who is just starting his family. If anyone has any input on this sheep tag I would love to hear from you.
Name:  IMG_0660.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  9.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
roosevelt
King Salmon

Default Re: Every year there is at least one

wow! congrats to him!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
Amahnee
King Salmon

So that's why I didn't draw? 😒

Congrats! 😎

Old 06-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
FrogPond
Sturgeon

Can I be in your family?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979
Old 06-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
jaredhatfield06
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogPond View Post
Can I be in your family?
Yeah just as soon as I get a good tag. I got 0'z across the board. Looks like I might not even buy a tag this year.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Why would you put a guy in who's never hunted before for one of the most coveted tags for the most coveted species in the state? There are thousands of people who have been putting in for years who would actually appreciate that tag and understand the significance of it.

Congrats I guess....
Old 06-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Drift
Chromer

WO, we all got to remember that "hunting is conservation". Getting hunters involved new or old is part of keeping agencies afloat. Managing land and the animals.
I get where you are coming from. Points are earned. But a lottery is just that, no one ever "deserves" it, no matter how long you try.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
Etonfish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willametteriveroutlaw View Post
Why would you put a guy in who's never hunted before for one of the most coveted tags for the most coveted species in the state? There are thousands of people who have been putting in for years who would actually appreciate that tag and understand the significance of it.

Congrats I guess....
Seriously, why wouldn't you. Novice hunters have just as much right to the tag as you do and will get just as much out of it.

Jared, good luck to your brother in law. I wish I had some info for you, but I'm sure you will get some help from guys who have had this tag in the past.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #9
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etonfish View Post
Seriously, why wouldn't you. Novice hunters have just as much right to the tag as you do and will get just as much out of it.

Here is why I wouldn't:

1. Would you take a first time hunter on a 5 day float trip in below freezing weather in Eastern Oregon?

2. Someone who is a first time hunter has no clue most likely how big of deal a sheep tag is or the effort required to do it justice.

3. I agree they do have just as much right to it, although i don't get how 30% plus of the tags go to first time applicants, don't believe me go the the orientation and watch the hands go up.

As for them appreciating it as much as a serious hunter, 95% don't. You can say what ever you want or think it, IMHO the ones I been around still don't get it.

On another note:

Reach out to Crayfin or Salty Walty, they both have hunted that hunt recently.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
SquarePeg
Tuna!

By the same logic, why teach your wife or kid to hunt or fish, they don't know how so they won't appreciate it anyway.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
Ol' KL
Tuna!

That's a heck of a Christmas present. I hope you guys enjoy the hunt.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #12
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post
By the same logic, why teach your wife or kid to hunt or fish, they don't know how so they won't appreciate it anyway.
Yeah, no..

You ease someone into something, not put them at the pinnacle to start.

There is a reason you take beginners to the trout lake and not springer fishing in February..
Old 06-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #13
the-next-one
Cutthroat

Quote:

Congrats I guess....
+1

I am so tired of seeing threads like these. There are doe tags and 2pt bucks for guys to "try" hunting. Sheep tags shouldn't even be available to first time license holders.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #14
Slayintime
Coho

WRO,
I totally get what your saying and the frustration. I always get that sick feeling too when I hear about first timers pulling these tags (jealousy on my part I'll admit it lol) and agree that maybe they wont realize how big of a deal the tag is as others might. However, I'm all for getting new people into hunting and showing them the experience of a lifetime and I admit I'm one of the people that puts first timers in for these. The way I look at it is the odds of me EVER drawing in a lifetime are slim. I'm not gonna live to be 200 years old. So I have my wife, little brother, dad, friends, anyone I know that will take me if they draw put in in hopes to raise my odds of possibly just experiencing one of these hunts. I don't have to be the trigger man, although it would be amazing, I just hope to experience it one day in one way or another. Just the way I look at it.

Congrats to the tag holder. Lucky guy. Try and take us along on the hunt via ifish if possible when it comes around.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
...pending...
Steelhead

Every year. I just hope he puts the effort that tag deserves.

ODFW's random sure doesn't seem random with a few newbies getting coveted tags every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #16
Spotted Owl
Ifish Nate

Good grief. Lets be happy for the guy instead of being down on him with envy.

You want him to make the best of the tag and understand the significance, help him.

Give him thoughts and ideas what to look for and focus in on, on conditioning, what to expect terrain wise, the toll his body and mental state will pay on this hunt, we all know it won't be easy but he doesn't yet.

He's new to hunting, big deal, every single one of us started green and look where we are now. We got there with help, luck and determination. His determination is up to him. His luck is already proven, anyone want to be part of helping. It's not likes he's going to be competition later when you draw your tags.

The tag deserves exactly what the holder will put into his hunt.

Congratulations from me to the tag holder. If I knew anything I'd spill my guts in hopes it might help. Be sure to post a photo of the full curl results and a detailed report of the hunt.

Owl
Old 06-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #17
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayintime View Post
WRO,
I totally get what your saying and the frustration. I always get that sick feeling too when I hear about first timers pulling these tags (jealousy on my part I'll admit it lol) and agree that maybe they wont realize how big of a deal the tag is as others might. However, I'm all for getting new people into hunting and showing them the experience of a lifetime and I admit I'm one of the people that puts first timers in for these. The way I look at it is the odds of me EVER drawing in a lifetime are slim. I'm not gonna live to be 200 years old. So I have my wife, little brother, dad, friends, anyone I know that will take me if they draw put in in hopes to raise my odds of possibly just experiencing one of these hunts. I don't have to be the trigger man, although it would be amazing, I just hope to experience it one day in one way or another. Just the way I look at it.
I used too do the same thing, after helping on a few hunts including my wife's I stopped. A sheep hunt is no joke, they're expensive, time consuming, and take commitment. My comment isn't directed towards the tag holder, if he p ms the 2 people I mentioned above, he'll know where to start. My frustration is putting someone who's never hunted before, who doesn't know if they like hunting, for a tag they have no idea the magnitude of.

You wouldn't take a first time fishermen blue fin fishing in nova Scotia would you?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #18
WapitiBob
Tuna!

As I've as said before, not a more self centered group on the planet than hunters.
You're better than that.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #19
in 'em

Congrats Jared! I've done that hunt 4 times and am happy to help with info!

Ryan, I've seen more "hardcore" serious hunters who treat bighorn tags like dirt and are idiots on the hunt than first timers who don't appreciate it or do it justice...I'd rather take young kids, women and first timers in many cases. They may not have the animal on that pedestal like you do, but there's a lot more to hunting that killing an animal and most sure do seem to appreciate everything else a lot more. It's silly to expect people not to apply for sheep or goats just because they're new or even are given the hunt as a surprise. I get the reason for your comment, but we can't keep all the newbies out, all the fat guys out, all the old people out, anyone who doesn't have field judging ability or money for gas or time off or good optics or accurate weapons or guys who don't shoot year round or sight their gun in properly or all the other things needed to do the tag "justice." Whatever that means. Like I said, I'd bet you there are more avid hunters that do these tags less justice than the newbies each year.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #20
pharmseller
King Salmon

Putting someone who has never hunted before in for a once in a lifetime tag doesn't make sense to me.

Congrats to the tag holder, but there's no way he's going to understand the significance. Not because he's not smart or anything, but simply because he lacks the depth of experience. Hes got nothing relevant to compare it to. There's no possible way he can appreciate it like a dedicated hunter would. Again, I'm not casting aspersions on the tag holder.

It wasn't even his idea.

P

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 06-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #21
...pending...
Steelhead

Should I also be happy for the 16 year old down the block that just got a new Ferrari for his first car?

Old 06-16-2017, 06:17 PM   #22
waterbobber
Sturgeon

Hmmmm.....what about all those who put in for once in a lifetime hunts for their kids, nieces, nephews, wives, girlfriends, secret mistresses, grannies, gramps, uncles, aunts, and neighbor's, so they can drag/pack them (the tag holder) up the sheep mountain to live and hunt vicariously through them on a sheep hunt and do everything for them but wipe their butt and pull the trigger? They have the gear, glass, rifle, scout Intel, set camp, spot and stalk, range, prep for the shot, set the rifle on a rest. After the shot they take the pics (with themselves with the ram), skin the ram, cape it, pack it out, pull camp, cut and wrap it, maybe even cook it.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:20 PM   #23
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

I can see both sides on this. As a guy who drew a sheep tag a while back all I can say is, it's just a sheep. I put my daughters in for sheep tags but I almost hope they don't draw, not because I don't think they deserve or are not ready but because they may draw over someone who is dying to draw a sheep tag. If they ever do draw they will understand what it's all about, they probably do already since they know my adventure.
On another note, I stopped putting in for Mt Goat tags the year after drawing my sheep tag. I don't want one bad enough to take that from someone who really wants it.
Congrats to the hunter who drew, it could possibly turn him into a hunting fool like most of us.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #24
CamoHunter
Tuna!

But, if a newbie goes out on this hunt and has the time of his life isn't that all anyone could ask? I don't understand how anyone could have more enjoyment than that. Just because this hunter may not "understand the significance" of the tag or hunt seems irrelevant to me. We do not all have the same expectations for our hunting experience of a lifetime.

Let's all wish him well and hope he has a safe and memorable hunt and help when & where we feel the desire .

Camo
Old 06-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #25
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

One way to curb the newbie draws, pay for the tag up front and increase the price. Sheep tags are cheap in Oregon, my entire hunt cost less than $1500 including the mount. I didn't buy anything for my hunt but fuel, tag and taxidermy.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #26
IdahoBeav
Ifish Nate

Congrats to the new hunter. I don't have an issue with him applying for and drawing the tag, but I have a question for those that do.

What would your thoughts be if Oregon were to adopt a system like Idaho's where by applying for a sheep or goat tag, you sacrifice your opportunity that year to apply for a deer, elk, or antelope tag?
Old 06-16-2017, 06:51 PM   #27
CamoHunter
Tuna!

Interesting idea... does that mean that you could not purchase a point saver either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBeav View Post

What would your thoughts be if Oregon were to adopt a system like Idaho's where by applying for a sheep or goat tag, you sacrifice your opportunity that year to apply for a deer, elk, or antelope tag?
Old 06-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #28
IdahoBeav
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoHunter View Post
Interesting idea... does that mean that you could not purchase a point saver either?
Well, Idaho doesn't use a point system.

You could look at it either way for Oregon. If you also sacrificed the opportunity for a deer, elk, and antelope point, it would really cut down the number of sheep and goat apps. The applicants would only be people who really want the tag and aren't only applying because the opportunity is available.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #29
CamoHunter
Tuna!

I like that idea. It would take commitment to go after those tags and would definitely keep a lot of people from applying. There are a few other hunt series where this process would be beneficial too.

Quote:
Well, Idaho doesn't use a point system.

You could look at it either way for Oregon. If you also sacrificed the opportunity for a deer, elk, and antelope point, it would really cut down the number of sheep and goat apps. The applicants would only be people who really want the tag and aren't only applying because the opportunity is available.

Last edited by CamoHunter; 06-16-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #30
Hookset
King Salmon

First, congrats to the lucky new hunter! Amazing to be that lucky, hopefully you'll have a great hunt.

Quote:
I agree they do have just as much right to it, although i don't get how 30% plus of the tags go to first time applicants, don't believe me go the the orientation and watch the hands go up.
Statistically, I would think that would be nearly impossible, in that 30% of the tags got to first time applicants. I wonder how many of these are also first time hunters. I'm not doubting what you're stating, but I do wonder if the process that ODFW uses with having people randomly selecting numbers is flawed. If people are given a range of numbers to choose between, perhaps the selection isn't as random as it should be.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #31
Twitch
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber hunter View Post
I can see both sides on this. As a guy who drew a sheep tag a while back all I can say is, it's just a sheep. I put my daughters in for sheep tags but I almost hope they don't draw, not because I don't think they deserve or are not ready but because they may draw over someone who is dying to draw a sheep tag. If they ever do draw they will understand what it's all about, they probably do already since they know my adventure.
On another note, I stopped putting in for Mt Goat tags the year after drawing my sheep tag. I don't want one bad enough to take that from someone who really wants it.
Congrats to the hunter who drew, it could possibly turn him into a hunting fool like most of us.
Good points. I've never applied for Mtn. Goat for this reason. I really have no interest in ever shooting one. Some folks would give up just about anything to do it, and I don't want to hinder someone's dream.

Quote:
Congrats to the new hunter. I don't have an issue with him applying for and drawing the tag, but I have a question for those that do.

I like this idea. I also like the idea of paying up front, though that could even be hard for some folks who really desire to hunt sheep. I wonder about shifting the mandatory course once you draw, to making it a mandatory course BEFORE you can apply. It would take a more dedicated hunter to attend classes/orientation prior to applying.

My cousin drew a bighorn his first ever time applying for big game as a 12 y.o.. His mom is so against shoulder mounts, it is currently being kept at another family members house.

I'll never forget being 12 and drawing my first ever tag, an antelope tag (my dad and I each drew; individually) for a unit my neighbor had been applying for for 17 years. I didn't apply again for a couple years, then drew it again on my next try. (I haven't drawn one since)

My buddy drew Mt. Emily any bull bow this year, his first time ever applying for an east side tag; 0 points. He isn't even that excited for it.

That's just the way it goes with random components of a draw I suppose.

I wish your B.I.L luck! Hope it hooks him for life!
Old 06-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #32
Salty Walty
King Salmon

Congrats to the lucky tag holder. I think that you are good for buying presents for him for a long long time. Please come to the Oregon Foundation for North American Wild Sheep (OR-FNAWS) and ODFW Sheep and Goat workshop at the:

Ft Dalles Readiness Center July 22

402 E Scenic Dr, The Dalles, OR 97058
There is an event on our Facebook page with more details. There is a ton of information provided at the workshop. Take a minute and use the search feature on this forum too. There have been a good # of sheep tags drawn by forum members with some great stories and helpful tips.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #33
jagare
Tuna!

I think it's great he drew the tag! Lots of people with pretty thin skin, thinking a new hunter doesn't understand the respect this animal deserves!!
Old 06-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #34
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
But, if a newbie goes out on this hunt and has the time of his life isn't that all anyone could ask? I don't understand how anyone could have more enjoyment than that. Just because this hunter may not "understand the significance" of the tag or hunt seems irrelevant to me. We do not all have the same expectations for our hunting experience of a lifetime.

Let's all wish him well and hope he has a safe and memorable hunt and help when & where we feel the desire .

Camo
I hope he has a great time too, but that's not the point.

How many first time hunters have the time of their lives shooting a forky buck? Most, if not all, I'll bet. Because they don't know the difference.

P

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

Thoreau

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 06-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #35
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Walty View Post
Congrats to the lucky tag holder. I think that you are good for buying presents for him for a long long time. Please come to the Oregon Foundation for North American Wild Sheep (OR-FNAWS) and ODFW Sheep and Goat workshop at the:

Ft Dalles Readiness Center July 22

402 E Scenic Dr, The Dalles, OR 97058
There is an event on our Facebook page with more details. There is a ton of information provided at the workshop. Take a minute and use the search feature on this forum too. There have been a good # of sheep tags drawn by forum members with some great stories and helpful tips.
Is it true they ask for a show of hands of first time applicants at the orientation?

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #36
CamoHunter
Tuna!

Pharm,
I understand where you are coming from. But if he shoots any legal ram and has a great time on the hunt isn't that enough? I am just saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If I drew a Mt Emily any bull tag and took a raghorn many people would say that was a failure. But isn't that for me to decide for myself?
And could I not still have a hunt of a lifetime (for me, maybe not others)?

Camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
I hope he has a great time too, but that's not the point.

How many first time hunters have the time of their lives shooting a forky buck? Most, if not all, I'll bet. Because they don't know the difference.

P
Old 06-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #37
roosevelt
King Salmon

the part of the system I would like to see changed, is the ability to gift an OIL tag if you drew one. I too would like to see some certain long time applicants draw the tag, or any long term applicants have a better chance.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #38
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Pharm,
I understand where you are coming from. But if he shoots any legal ram and has a great time on the hunt isn't that enough? I am just saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If I drew a Mt Emily any bull tag and took a raghorn many people would say that was a failure. But isn't that for me to decide for myself?
And could I not still have a hunt of a lifetime (for me, maybe not others)?

Camo

I get it. The difference for me is it's a once in a lifetime hunt.

P

Thoreau

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 06-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #39
jaredhatfield06
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
the part of the system I would like to see changed, is the ability to gift an OIL tag if you drew one. I too would like to see some certain long time applicants draw the tag, or any long term applicants have a better chance.
This idea I love and have thought about when I was 10 years old. If I ever drew a tag I would want to gift it to my stepdad who really got me into hunting. With this being see what would stop someone from selling it if someone else trying to guilt them into giving them the tag. Never the less this hunt will be a ton of fun on so many levels. Me 3 year old is ready to go get one now so "we can cut him up and eat him!"
Old 06-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #40
Salty Walty
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank Amateur View Post
Is it true they ask for a show of hands of first time applicants at the orientation?
Most years but not all, but what is even more impressive is the number of our board members who are asked to raise their hand who have yet to draw a tag and still put in the time for the Sheep.

There are groans when they raise their hands but the fact that they are there shows that they and their hunting party are looking to get info and hopefully make the most of their opportunity. Even if you have been putting in for years and draw the tag it is still a Big deal.

One of the worst things I have heard is, "I need to hurry and fill this tag so I can get to elk camp."
Old 06-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #41
CamoHunter
Tuna!

Pharm,

I can see your point also.
Personally, I have never applied for a sheep hunt because I don't think I would want to put in all of the time and effort that could be required. But I wish the best to all who do.

Camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
I get it. The difference for me is it's a once in a lifetime hunt.

P
Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #42
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Walty View Post
Most years but not all, but what is even more impressive is the number of our board members who are asked to raise their hand who have yet to draw a tag and still put in the time for the Sheep.

There are groans when they raise their hands but the fact that they are there shows that they and their hunting party are looking to get info and hopefully make the most of their opportunity. Even if you have been putting in for years and draw the tag it is still a Big deal.

One of the worst things I have heard is, "I need to hurry and fill this tag so I can get to elk camp."
Yeah, to heck with elk for one year! So, is it true that the first timers are about 30% of the successful applicants?

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:08 PM   #43
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredhatfield06 View Post
This idea I love and have thought about when I was 10 years old. If I ever drew a tag I would want to gift it to my stepdad who really got me into hunting. With this being see what would stop someone from selling it if someone else trying to guilt them into giving them the tag. Never the less this hunt will be a ton of fun on so many levels. Me 3 year old is ready to go get one now so "we can cut him up and eat him!"
it probably is the ****bags that keep this from being a reality....a shame.

I would put in for sheep if I could gift the tag, and would anticipate drawing as much as if I was hunting the tag, I would get that fun at least
Old 06-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #44
BlackPowder87 has a birthday BlackPowder87
Coho

Is it true they ask for a show of hands of first time applicants at the orientation?[/QUOTE]

That is true, and for the orientation I attended at least a 1/3 were kids or first time applicants. I could believe the ratios... it being my wife's first year applying and not drawing I told her that her 1st year was apparently her best chance and it goes down hill from there.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #45
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by in 'em View Post

Ryan, I've seen more "hardcore" serious hunters who treat bighorn tags like dirt and are idiots on the hunt than first timers who don't appreciate it or do it justice...I'd rather take young kids, women and first timers in many cases. They may not have the animal on that pedestal like you do, but there's a lot more to hunting that killing an animal and most sure do seem to appreciate everything else a lot more. It's silly to expect people not to apply for sheep or goats just because they're new or even are given the hunt as a surprise. I get the reason for your comment, but we can't keep all the newbies out, all the fat guys out, all the old people out, anyone who doesn't have field judging ability or money for gas or time off or good optics or accurate weapons or guys who don't shoot year round or sight their gun in properly or all the other things needed to do the tag "justice." Whatever that means. Like I said, I'd bet you there are more avid hunters that do these tags less justice than the newbies each year.
Most of the newbies are trigger pullers, Most of the pre-work has been done by others. I won't argue that women aren't easier, they tend to follow instructions way better than men.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 06:59 AM   #46
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

Most of the newbies are trigger pullers, Most of the pre-work has been done by others. I won't argue that women aren't easier, they tend to follow instructions way better than men.

Anyone who draws an Oregon sheep tag is a newbie at killing an Oregon sheep. The only way to take full credit is to do it solo. I would venture to say 99% of sheep tag holders have help in some fashion, the tag holder is the trigger puller. I see nothing wrong with that. The tag holder has a choice on how they want the hunt to go, get help is the popular choice, seasoned hunter or newbie.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Old 06-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #47
RJBender
Fry

Quote:
One way to curb the newbie draws, pay for the tag up front and increase the price. Sheep tags are cheap in Oregon, my entire hunt cost less than $1500 including the mount. I didn't buy anything for my hunt but fuel, tag and taxidermy.
I don't comment to a lot of posts but this one I have to. Increasing costs to hunters should only be done for the sake of improving the hunt with better management. If you want to raise the price to eliminate hunters, then move to Europe. Period.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #48
Lucky Guy
Sturgeon

At the end of the day most of these complaints come down to entitlement, somebody feels more entitled because they are ... (smarter, better hunter, an expert, been trying longer, etc.)

He paid the $, filled out the form, got lucky. You didn't. Oh well. Nobody's more entitled to any tag. I can understand being upset if someone doesn't take it seriously and give it the effort it deserves, but let's wait and see. We can get PO'd about that later if we need to. lol

Man I'm jealous too, only OIL hunt I apply for.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #49
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Guy View Post
but let's wait and see. We can get PO'd about that later if we need to. lol.
Another reply i wish their was a like button.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #50
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBender View Post
Quote:
I don't comment to a lot of posts but this one I have to. Increasing costs to hunters should only be done for the sake of improving the hunt with better management. If you want to raise the price to eliminate hunters, then move to Europe. Period.
It's a simple matter of supply and demand. There's a reason not all species tags are the same price.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #51
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPowder87 View Post
That is true, and for the orientation I attended at least a 1/3 were kids or first time applicants. I could believe the ratios... it being my wife's first year applying and not drawing I told her that her 1st year was apparently her best chance and it goes down hill from there.[/QUOTE]

I think I will change my name and get a new SS number and start over, every year...................

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #52
traks44
Ifish Nate

I'm a little surprised of the comments on here, seriously people?!?

I'm a lifetime die hard hunter of this state and I could give a rats ass about Drawing a sheep tag, same with pronhorn. To each their own but complaining about new hunters having good luck is unfounded. The only thing I would say to those upset at the situation is karma can be a *****.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #53
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

I understand why guys who really want a sheep tag get upset when they hear about someone draws who often never hunted before. I would much rather see tags go to one who dream of it than one who didn't even know their name was in the hat, but the system is the way it is so I accept it.

As far as money and opportunity goes there are many different options for hunters. We can hunt 365 days a year just by buying a hunting license, you may not get to shoot a bighorn sheep but you can hunt something if you want to. Raising fees for limited tags does not reduce opportunities, just applicants, opportunity is regulated buy tags issued. Tags issued is regulated by population, pretty simple stuff.
New hunter recruitment is not going to be obtained with once in a lifetime tags period. New hunter recruitment is going to be obtained with annual opportunities.
Again congrats to anyone who draws a O.I.L. tag for what ever species it is. Enjoy the experience, you only get to do it one time.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #54
switchback00
Tuna!

Default Every year there is at least one

I still think the time back in the early 90's, that two or three of the odfw staff from the Burns office all drew sheep tags the same year, takes the cake! Hmmmm

Old 06-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #55
OhioState'84
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredhatfield06 View Post
So we all hear of the kid, wife, girlfriend or whoever, that has never hunted and got some awesome tag. A few years ago it was my wife on her Hart Mt. antelope tag. So who was it this year?

Well for Christmas last year I had the idea of taking my brother in law on a rifle spike hunt. He has never hunted before so I thought I would be the one to take him. We had a $100 limit on our gift so I went down and got him a hunting license, tag applications and a gift card. Well today my hunting plans all got changed. He got his walla walla spike tag plus a little extra, a bighorn sheep tag for the 543c3 hunt. I could not be happier for this young man who is just starting his family. If anyone has any input on this sheep tag I would love to hear from you.
Attachment 591169
That's awesome.... I have to say - being able to read of the successful applicants actually takes a little of the sting out of not getting drawn... Hope to see a few pictures from both of these hunts later this year!! Good Hunting and God Bless
Old 06-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #56
BM-FISHER
Chromer

This is just a **** poor attitude in my opinion and does not represent the majority of the hunting community. Sad really

Quote:

Congrats I guess....
Old 06-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #57
Mossyhorn
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM-FISHER View Post
This is just a **** poor attitude in my opinion and does not represent the majority of the hunting community. Sad really
I'll bet it represents a lot more than you think. Most just won't say it cause they don't want to get flamed for expressing their opinion.

I have to agree with the likes of WRO, Pharm, and others. If you want to get someone into hunting, buy them a deer tag. I get the argument that no one is more entitled to a sheep tag than anyone else. BUT... there are guys out there that have been applying for 20, 30, 40 years and have not drawn and will die before they ever get a tag. Guys that all they want is a sheep tag, a tag they've longed for, for most of their adult life.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #58
traks44
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyhorn View Post
I'll bet it represents a lot more than you think. Most just won't say it cause they don't want to get flamed for expressing their opinion.

I have to agree with the likes of WRO, Pharm, and others. If you want to get someone into hunting, buy them a deer tag. I get the argument that no one is more entitled to a sheep tag than anyone else. BUT... there are guys out there that have been applying for 20, 30, 40 years and have not drawn and will die before they ever get a tag. Guys that all they want is a sheep tag, a tag they've longed for, for most of their adult life.

I'm sorry that's a ****** excuse, if you want to kill a sheep that bad save your money, and go to Alaska or BC or the like. Can't afford it then go get a job that will support it. Negative comments towards people for being successful is beneath the sport.... PERIOD Imo.

It's that same attitude that poachers and trespasser have that they are owed or intitled to it before someone else for various reasons.

For those who say it's to much hunt for someone just starting out is just an excuse to rag someone for beating you.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #59
IdahoBeav
Ifish Nate

We should assemble a panel of ifish members to determine who is worthy of applying for these tags.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #60
Prawnasorus
Chromer

Smile Re: Every year there is at least one

Congrats to the hunter, do the tag and species justice, practice shooting a lot, scout, do your research, dont' quit no matter what, hunt hard, ask for help if you need it.

I have never drawn, but been on a number of sheep hunts, two were with female hunters who had never killed an animal before. The "Eye of the beholder" is different for different people. One valued the animal more than the other.
There can be added pressure on the hunter with a OIL tag, I think that is why some would say start with a deer.

Would you take a first time hunter out to hunt Lion or Cape Buffalo ?

I have applied for 35 years and not drawn, I apply in other states now that I can afford it. ( I can't afford 15-20K for Alaska, or 25-35K for BC)

It pains some of us that scrounged up $100 each year to apply years ago when we couldn't really afford it, to hear of first time draws, since it only costs $8 now.

After you take your animal, support those who help put more sheep back, OR FNAWS, the majority do not.

Shane Byerly
OR FNAWS Board member
Closed Thread