Anyone raise Salmon or Steelhead in Aquarium? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 02-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
yarndog2003
Tuna!

Default Anyone raise Salmon or Steelhead in Aquarium?

Move this post if need be......

I was wondering if any one has had Salmon or steelhead in an Aquarium and had success. Also what are the laws in taking a fish from a stream and putting into a tank? I know it is illegal to transplant but what about to just a tank? I am very close to getting a 125 gallon or 180 gallon tank. I was thinking just for fun, why not try a salmon or steelhead.. Can I get any size out of these fish in a tank? Any suggestions are welcome.

yarndog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
bobrdown
Tuna!

Default Re: Anyone raise Salmon or Steelhead in Aquarium?

I know that WDFW have a program with the schools and a few teachers I work with raise them in their classrooms.

It is quite the process though. They need a refrigeration unit hooked up to the tank to keep the water cool enough.

Very rewarding as well. The students plant the fish in local streams that flow into our main rivers. I don't think that is a very high survival rate.

You should give WDFW a call. I am sure Oregon has a program that is similar.

Good Luck
Old 02-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
wilsonriverfisher
Ifish Nate

Trout/salmon are not suited for the home aquarium. Almost always they will develope white sopt/Ich its a nasty disease. It can be done with exspensive chillers and high oxygen with multiple air stones but in the long term you would need at least a 500 gallon tank when it gets big. Fish that are left in aquariums that are to small face organ issues and usually die premature. Ive already learned the hard way
wilsonriverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Fishbulb
Ifish Nate

http://www.seattleaquarium.org/exhibits/exhibits/dome/

I saw it once. I liked it a lot.

Last edited by Fishbulb; 02-08-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Fishbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
coach
Steelhead

I raise salmon in my classroom (usually)The hatcheries in our area had a tough time this year, and are not releasing eggs or fry. I have to apply for a permit every year, and they (WDFW) have to approve the fish for release in a certain creek or river.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
RichH
Ifish Nate

Check the regs, I believe it is illegal to transport live game fish period, regardless of to a tank or another body of water.

No divers and bait for wild steelhead!!!!

Some people just have better things to do than have a big wang contest on Ifish every day.
RichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
Dave G
King Salmon

Page 7 of the Oregon fishing reg "It is unlawful to transport live fish between bodies of water."

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Mr. Wilson
Steelhead

i dont believe a fish tank would be considered a body of water
Mr. Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
Dave G
King Salmon

I would agree, maybe a tank of water. But how would you explain the transportation of a live fish. Mr officer, I like my sushi really fresh!

Old 02-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
Coho Kid
Steelhead

I work with our T.V. Steelheaders, and with the ODFW in placing salmon and trout eggs into schools. Each teacher must submit a request to ODFW for the eggs. The steelheaders provide tanks with chiller units and air pumps for the tanks. We also deliver the eggs to the schools and like to go with the classes when possible to release the fry into a lake or pond. This program is part of the STEP program and it is a wonderful project to get kids involved with what is necessary for the successful survival of trout and salmon in our rivers and streams. Each school gets about 500 eggs, and usually releases them into a pond or lake so they won't mix with wild stock in the rivers and streams. These students truly get a hands on experience which they will remember for years.
Coho Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
Dave G
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho Kid View Post
I work with our T.V. Steelheaders, and with the ODFW in placing salmon and trout eggs into schools. Each teacher must submit a request to ODFW for the eggs. The steelheaders provide tanks with chiller units and air pumps for the tanks. We also deliver the eggs to the schools and like to go with the classes when possible to release the fry into a lake or pond. This program is part of the STEP program and it is a wonderful project to get kids involved with what is necessary for the successful survival of trout and salmon in our rivers and streams. Each school gets about 500 eggs, and usually releases them into a pond or lake so they won't mix with wild stock in the rivers and streams. These students truly get a hands on experience which they will remember for years.
Sounds like a great program

Old 02-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #12
Metal Manipulator

I put together one for the Silverton High School about 6 years ago. I know that they rised and released at least one batch. Copper kills the fish so I had to use shrink tube to shield it from the water.
Morrage location Newport
Boat lady Irish

NW CUSTOM BOAT WORKS

nwcustomboatworks.com

WE BUILD CUSTOM ARCHES
Metal Manipulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #13
Cool Texan
King Salmon

I still have the idea in my head to one day dig two big ponds in my backyard...one fresh water, one salt...and then connect them with a "stream". Stock the smolt, they'll hang in Pond A until its time to head to the "ocean" pond....then when they return, I'll try to catch them in the river before they get back to the spawning pond, cuz that will be illegal to fish in.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #14
skybuster
Ifish Nate

I've had the same idea CT!

I've got 5 acres, and about 3 of it is a nice pasture with a gentle slope. I wanted to build 2 ponds with a stream in between, and stock kokanee in the lower pond, then see if they would swim the stream and spawn in the upper pond.

Yarndog has access to the equipment and knows how to use it, I just need to get him up here.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #15
Pinecone
Tuna!

In High School, I worked for a summer at a fish hatchery. I had to do a presentation and display when I was done with the program. I had 5 coho smolts that the hatchery manager let me put in a fish tank for my display. I had two aerators, and was constantly adding distilled water ice cubes to the tank to keep the temp down around 40 degrees. They survived just fine for the two days i had them in the tank. And the display looked great! I later released them back to the hatchery. I only lost one when it jumped out of the tank and my cat snatched it!
Old 02-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #16
wilsonriverfisher
Ifish Nate

It should not be done! Trust me maybe for a couple of days or so but long term they are not meant to go into aquariums period. Im not saying you cant put a trout in a home aquarium you can but A. its not right b. It takes exspensive equipment c. tough time finding the right nutrients D. Go to any fish aquarium forum and find out for yourself E. Yah a hatchery or classroom our equippend with the right equipment F. Its Illegal G. Its morally wrong to do

Last edited by wilsonriverfisher; 02-09-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #17
MarlinMark
Ifish Nate

I would switch my plan to sunfish, bluegill, and pumpkin seed. Very pretty fish and a little more suited to the tank.

Mark
Old 02-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #18
alanmikkelsen
Tuna!

There is a live trout display in a large aquarium at a truck stop in St. Regis, MT, just off I-90. The fish look healthy, but their noses are deformed (look very flat). I don't know if it's from bumping into the walls of the aquarium or not, but I kinda wince when I look at them. Just not my cup o'tea.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #19
mandinga
Sturgeon

I'm positive that it could be done...wilson is right about alot of things...maybe its immoral and it would certailnly be expensive.

I have worked on a couple designs that incorporate moving water into the design...cheaply.

I've built reef aquariums for 12 years, I've had people tell me that "I'll never be able to keep it alive" for years...

Certain fish SHOULD not be kept in home aquariums, but I see nothing wrong with raising trout or POSSIBLY steelhead in a chilled home aquaria.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #20
wilsonriverfisher
Ifish Nate

you can do it but it is unethical and it requires vasts amount of information about fishkeeping. IM NOT TALKING ABOUT SHORT TERM HERE IM TALKING ABOUT LONG TERM with standard aquarium supplys its not going to happen. Ok now with a major in fish keeping and a 2000 dollar water chiller it can be done. But what happens when it gets http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/ich.htm and the only way to treat it safely requires rasing the temperature above 86 degrees for days and days. That would be just the starting of things. Also mandiga you have to think about the SIZE of aquariium needed for a trout Long Term????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandinga View Post
I'm positive that it could be done...wilson is right about alot of things...maybe its immoral and it would certailnly be expensive.

I have worked on a couple designs that incorporate moving water into the design...cheaply.

I've built reef aquariums for 12 years, I've had people tell me that "I'll never be able to keep it alive" for years...

Certain fish SHOULD not be kept in home aquariums, but I see nothing wrong with raising trout or POSSIBLY steelhead in a chilled home aquaria.

Last edited by wilsonriverfisher; 02-09-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #21
wilsonriverfisher
Ifish Nate

here is a link to the fish forum that I posted the same question

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fres...ighlight=trout
Old 02-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #22
ICHTHYDEMON
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinMark View Post
I would switch my plan to sunfish, bluegill, and pumpkin seed. Very pretty fish and a little more suited to the tank.

Mark

I agree. I have a friend thats done this and its a nice setup. He also has some Yellow Perch in the tank.
ICHTHYDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #23
Farfish
Tuna!

The Oregon Zoo in Portland has a nice artificial stream - partly indoors and partly out that they keep trout, and a few salmon in. I am pretty sure they must have a big chiller and a pretty huge pump/filter system. I'm sure you could find somebody at the zoo who would provide information on how they built it.

OMSI in Portland also often keeps juvenile coho and steelhead in aquariums for the kids to see. They use chillers on the tanks, but they don't look like they are too fancy. I would bet they get the fish from some local hatchery. I don't know how long they keep them. I bet they have people there who would share information on their tank set up.

Also, I am sure it is quite illegal to remove juvenile salmon or steelhead from any stream no matter what you intend to do with them.
Farfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #24
Fishwater
Chromer

you would definately not be allowed to own any coho, as they are protected under ESA. but how about a couple of sturgeon?? i am pretty sure you can walk in to a store and buy those.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #25
GFISH1
Coho

Drop the Steelhead and Salmon and go for an outdoor pond that has Koi. I have a 10X20 pond that holds ~2700 gallons of water. I have some huge Koi in there (22"-24", probably 2-4lber's), lots of small ones and then of course the little goldfish that are cheap. The Koi are great to watch and feed, they come in outstanding colors, are rather tough and take little care to maintain during the year. Wintering over on my pond is no problem. I've thought about barbless fly fishing once or twice for the biggies!
Old 02-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #26
ClearCreek
Steelhead

If you have gamefish in your aquarium they count toward your bag and possession limits.

ClearCreek
ClearCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #27
Drakeblake
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Fly View Post
I put together one for the Silverton High School about 6 years ago. I know that they rised and released at least one batch. Copper kills the fish so I had to use shrink tube to shield it from the water.
Wet fly,
I was in that class...thanks. I do remember what a pain it was to have to stick your hand in that icy water to remove the dead eggs/fish. But, once your hand goes numb it's not to bad.

-blake
Drakeblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #28
yarndog2003
Tuna!

Thanks every one for the responses. Sounds like a lot of work if I ever tryed it. I work enough as it is so I guess I wil just do what I was planing from the start. Cichlid tanks are fun. I had a 55 gallon and now I want to up grade...

yarndog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #29
wilsonriverfisher
Ifish Nate

here is my jack dempsy Cichlid

Old 02-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #30
Choupique
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinMark View Post

Mark
Sunfish can be pretty aggressive/territorial. They don't always get along very well together. But they are attractive.

Fish with teeth are COOL.
Choupique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:59 PM   #31
Choupique
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwater View Post
you would definately not be allowed to own any coho, as they are protected under ESA. but how about a couple of sturgeon?? i am pretty sure you can walk in to a store and buy those.
I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that any "sturgeon" you bought for your aquarium were not the same sturgeon you see in the river (white sturgeon). Which grow to about 30 cm (~12 inches) in their first year of life. Also, am pretty sure that aquarium trade of these fish is not allowed. And not just whites. I don't think any of the North American (atlantic, shortnose, pallid, shovelnose, green, lake - am I leaving any out?) legal in aquaria. If for no other reason than many of these ARE listed as either T or E.

Just my

Fish with teeth are COOL.
Choupique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:01 PM   #32
MattPark
Sturgeon

Salmon/Steelhead suggestions are covered already.

Warmwater fish (perch, bass, bluegill, etc) are very easy to keep alive, even at room temperature. They are also territorial just like the Jack Dempsey and Oscar (I've got one of each, and both are both free for the taking BTW).

White Sturgeon are also very easy to keep alive at about any temperature. They are available from pond supply stores and large aquatic suppliers, during spring and summer. I have no reason to believe they are not white sturgeon, based on personal research and talking to the suppliers. That and 12" white sturgeon from the CR and these fish are identical.

Last edited by MattPark; 02-20-2007 at 11:05 PM.
MattPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #33
Farfish
Tuna!

There is a guy named Henry Pelfry who raises white sturgeon. I think his hatchery is in Troutdale. He sells fish I think both wholesale and retail. His broodstock originally came from the Columbia. He also has supplied fish to ODFW and others for research projects. Somebody working with sturgeon at the ODFW Clackamas office could probably put you in touch with him.
Farfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 AM   #34
Trick
King Salmon

I tried the Pumpkinseed one time in a 20 gallon tank. These were very small fish and they tore the heck out of each other in the small space. It was survival of the fittest. I let them go soon after and just stuck with your run of the mill fresh water tropicals.

Good luck!
Member #200 and something?
CCA NRA OFF Member
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote