PWC Fishing (All Purpose) - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Notices

Old 04-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Default PWC Fishing (All Purpose)

going to plagiarize the Dory thread idea in an effort to get a bit more collaboration among the PWC fishermen out there.

So, to kick things off, i'll start with the 1st reply!

Some Dude on a Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Default Re: PWC Fishing (All Purpose)

finished installing and testing my auxiliary fuel tank over the weekend. this adds 9 more gallons capacity to the ski, giving a total 30 gallons, and at normal cruising speed being easy on the throttle, should give a range somewhere around 110 miles - i still need to do a test of this...but based on fuel usage of the stock tank which I've tested extensively, the 9 more gallons should add a little less than 40 more miles to my stock range of 80 (with some reserve).

I followed the instructions on this tech article http://watercraftjournal.com/quick-t...ory-fuel-tank/

this gave a fairly easy to follow procedure for installing an auxiliary tank that siphon feeds into the main by removing the vent line from the main tank, and adding a new line from the vent to the pick-up of the auxiliary. from the auxiliary tank vent, plumb a line back into the ski to the OEM vent tube - this ensures that the auxiliary tank vent in clean, waterless air from inside the ski in the OEM designed location. with the addition of a few quick disconnects the auxiliary tank is easily removable when not needed.

when on the water, the Aux tank drains 1st, leaving the main tank reading full until the aux tank is empty and venting air into the main tank instead of just replacing gas. this eliminates the need to open the fuel cap while on the water and holding a 5 gallon jug precariously over the front of the ski in chop. this method also removes the need for electric fuel pump transfer, or hand pump....as you use it from the main, it just refills from the aux.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
Tony Micelli
Tuna!

I am in full support of this thread. You PWC guys are (as far as I am concerned) as bad azz as Dorymen. Resourceful and adventurous.

Subscribed!

Love the mod. 110 miles range should be plenty to reach the tuna on a PWC if I can reach them in a dory. Love it.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
fyshndad
King Salmon

That looks pretty professional.
I'm looking forward to seeing you guys posting here, it should be good reading.

If I was 20 years younger I would take up PWC fishing.
I'm intrigued by the freedom of them

Lots of open seats this year out of Depoe Bay

fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #5
Tony Micelli
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshndad View Post

I told my wife I wouldn't buy any more boats.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
fishonthebrain
Steelhead

I usually fish on the ocean, so when picking out a new fishfinder/GPS-I went with a Garmin 74SV with a gt51m-tm transducer. The SV74 size provided the combination of features I wanted with a relatively low power draw-something important on the PWC's. Additionally the SV74 was about the biggest unit that would in the console that was being fabricated.

For a transducer mount, luckily my PWC was already at Aluminum works by JD getting some creative tubing bent up. Joe (Quiet Riot on ifish) put his creative mind on it and fabricated a rock solid mount for me. He even thought ahead to fabricate a 2nd mounting point in the event turbulence was a problem. The mount works great and to my surprise the fishfinder/transducer hold bottom very well even at higher cruising speeds. Attached are a couple pictures of the mount and the attached transducer. The large transducer does look out of place on a PWC, but it works great!
Attached Images

Last edited by fishonthebrain; 04-25-2017 at 08:30 PM.
fishonthebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
Quiet Riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Dude on a Ski View Post
finished installing and testing my auxiliary fuel tank over the weekend. this adds 9 more gallons capacity to the ski, giving a total 30 gallons, and at normal cruising speed being easy on the throttle, should give a range somewhere around 110 miles - i still need to do a test of this...but based on fuel usage of the stock tank which I've tested extensively, the 9 more gallons should add a little less than 40 more miles to my stock range of 80 (with some reserve).

I followed the instructions on this tech article http://watercraftjournal.com/quick-t...ory-fuel-tank/

this gave a fairly easy to follow procedure for installing an auxiliary tank that siphon feeds into the main by removing the vent line from the main tank, and adding a new line from the vent to the pick-up of the auxiliary. from the auxiliary tank vent, plumb a line back into the ski to the OEM vent tube - this ensures that the auxiliary tank vent in clean, waterless air from inside the ski in the OEM designed location. with the addition of a few quick disconnects the auxiliary tank is easily removable when not needed.

when on the water, the Aux tank drains 1st, leaving the main tank reading full until the aux tank is empty and venting air into the main tank instead of just replacing gas. this eliminates the need to open the fuel cap while on the water and holding a 5 gallon jug precariously over the front of the ski in chop. this method also removes the need for electric fuel pump transfer, or hand pump....as you use it from the main, it just refills from the aux.
Some Spence on a ski, 😀 I'm gonna utilize this fuel setup on a ski I have in the shop currently so I'm glad it's working for you.

Cool thread, it'd be great if you guys could point out some of the pluses and minuses of the different skis out there for ocean fishing purposes. There's quite a few guys on the fence about which ski to choose etc for a fishing platform.

John, be careful around big fishies as that chartreuse​ bling has been know to attract big fish.....

Aluminum Works by JD
Old 04-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #8
Tinman
King Salmon

As a doryman, I consider PWC guys as kindred spirits. You folks are advancing the state of the art and I'll be watching this thread with great interest. Onward!
Ifish Member #223
22 foot Learned dory "Evenstar"
14 foot rowing wherry "Evensong"
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:48 AM   #9
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Glad to see we have some interested people out there!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
Some Spence on a ski, 😀 I'm gonna utilize this fuel setup on a ski I have in the shop currently so I'm glad it's working for you.

Cool thread, it'd be great if you guys could point out some of the pluses and minuses of the different skis out there for ocean fishing purposes. There's quite a few guys on the fence about which ski to choose etc for a fishing platform.

John, be careful around big fishies as that chartreuse​ bling has been know to attract big fish.....

Aluminum Works by JD

It's a solid set-up. one of the things i had to do outside what the article said was use some JB weld puddy on the gas cap for the aux tank. After breaking off the twist lock vent that came with the cap i found i could not get a good air tight connection between the 90 degree fitting and the cap, since the cap vents through a chamber between the outer and inner surface. really didn't want water venting in, and don't see any way i can guarantee that i can keep that cap dry, or even submerge that tank at some point. so after drilling out and removing all the inner workings of the cap vent, i crammed the hole with the JB weld puddy, working it into all the gaps, screwed in the fitting, then cleared the hole with a pick. waited for it to set-up then sanded it smooth with 400 grit.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:59 AM   #10
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post

Aluminum Works by JD
I know the major selling points for me on the Kawaski Ultra LX, was it has the largest fuel tank of any ski, the most storage, the deepest V hull, and it's a normally aspirated engine.

the extra storage has proven to be mostly useless, as it is pretty much inaccessible from the water. The Deep V hull design is money though! i can ride area's like the water above tounge point on a strong outgoing tide with an offshore wind whipping up some flat nasty chop, and actually enjoy it! with the fuel tank and engine sucked down in the bottom of the deep V, it makes for a really stable platform while just bobbing around as well.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:25 AM   #11
CGRFish
Tuna!

Awesome thread, I will watch it as I watch the dory thread.

One comment on the fuel transfer setup. I use a similar setup on small irrigation pumps, and occasionally I will run into a situation where the vacuum is not strong enough make the fuel transfer work. You don't know it until you notice the gauge on the main tank dropping, or the main tank runs dry, which would be a major problem offshore. My solution has been to include a fuel pump bulb, standard on outboard motors, in the line to the auxiliary tank to be able to manually restart the transfer, and the vacuum should keep it going once it starts.

I know its a different application, but the thought of running out offshore keeps me paranoid.

I look forward to watching the fun you PWC guys have!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #12
Don G Baldi
Sturgeon

Excellent idea! I look forward to following this and hope it is as successful as the PC Dory thread.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #13
IIonPilgrimg
Tuna!

Quote:
I will also follow this thread with great interest.

On my dory, I have a fuel filter w/ two inputs and dual ballcock valves. I monitor and manually switch between the two tanks. The simplicity of this dual tank design is ingenious, having no moving parts. The only precaution is the main tank must remain tightly sealed for the system to function correctly. To remove the AUX, just swap the position of one vent hose and quick-disconnect the aux fuel line.
IIonPilgrimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #14
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIonPilgrimg View Post
I will also follow this thread with great interest.

On my dory, I have a fuel filter w/ two inputs and dual ballcock valves. I monitor and manually switch between the two tanks. The simplicity of this dual tank design is ingenious, having no moving parts. The only precaution is the main tank must remain tightly sealed for the system to function correctly. To remove the AUX, just swap the position of one vent hose and quick-disconnect the aux fuel line.
good point, i never thought about a leak developing in the seal on the filler cap of the main that would prevent the vacuum needed to pull from the aux. one of the advantages i have on my pwc, is it is also a gravity siphon, as the bottom of the Aux is about 4 inches higher than the top of the main. but i think like mentioned above by CGR, having a hand pump bulb that i can drop inline with the quick connects is a good plan regardless.

Last edited by Some Dude on a Ski; 04-26-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #15
Orion
Tuna!

Great thread....
For tuna runs I add a 28gallon fuel tank to the floor of my dory ahead of the center console. I have a quick connect plumbed to a ball valve which provides switching between the main tank and the tuna tank. I usually run for a short time on the main, then switch to the auxiliary tank. I run it down to about half to 1/4 remaining and switch back to the main. I try to keep enough in each tank to get home just in case a tank gets compromised in some way. One valve for two tanks....easy.

Orion

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call The Twilight Zone.
—Rod Serling
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #16
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Great thread....
For tuna runs I add a 28gallon fuel tank to the floor of my dory ahead of the center console. I have a quick connect plumbed to a ball valve which provides switching between the main tank and the tuna tank. I usually run for a short time on the main, then switch to the auxiliary tank. I run it down to about half to 1/4 remaining and switch back to the main. I try to keep enough in each tank to get home just in case a tank gets compromised in some way. One valve for two tanks....easy.

Orion
I have a similar set up. Don’t ever forget to switch the valve from the auxiliary tank back to the main tank after you remove the auxiliary tank and then try to launch in big surf. There is likely only enough fuel left in the auxiliary fuel line to warm up the motor. Don’t ask me how I know this.
DogGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #17
fyshndad
King Salmon

I have 3 tanks, one under the seats on both sides of the boat and one in the bow
I have them hooked up to a 4-way valve
One position for each tank and one that turns them all off

70 gallons total

Old 04-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #18
Omahundro
Tuna!

I'm also having that secondary fuel system put into my PWC. I just sent Joe a text telling him to add the fuel bulb. Thanks for that suggestion, CGRFish!

My first PWC was a 2011 Sea Doo GTI 130 SE. Regular price $9500ish. Top Speed 55ish.

Pros:

1. Extremely stable. The lower end GTI hull is great for any beginner since it is stable and forgiving.
2. The dual throttle system (iBR) on Sea Doos is the best on the market, in my honest opinion. Very easy to navigate around docks.
3. Comfortable and ergonomically designed seats, coupled with deep footwells, make you feel "locked in" and very secure.
4. Easy oil/filter/spark plug change routine if you are a DIY guy.
5. 3 performance settings: learning, cruise, and sports, as well as eco mode. You can adjust the level of performance as you gain confidence and experience. Set to sports mode when you need extra power on bar crossings, or set to cruise and eco if you want to limit your speed and performance to save gas.
6. The overall throttle performance feels great, and very intuitive.

Cons:

1. Rough ride over chop.
2. Not so good fuel economy.
3. Seats wear out quickly.
4. Found out the hard way to use a quick disconnect hose fitting in the flush port, as it is prone to loosening when you attach a regular hose. PITA to re-tighten and, honestly, a slight design flaw to be careful of.

My current PWC is a 2016 Yamaha VX Cruiser. Regular Price $9000ish. Top Speed 53ish.

Pros:

1. The primary reason I purchased this craft was due to the brand new, and highly fuel efficient engine that was available in the VX lineup. It's a small 3 cylinder engine that reportedly can get 155 mile range on 18.5 gallons of fuel. I ran 120 miles, and had 2.3 gallons left in the tank on my endurance test. A game changer. 7mpg boat. 125 line, here I come.
2. Deeper V hull gives a better ride in chop than the Sea Doo.
3. Well designed flush port that is in the engine compartment.
4. Sealed flotation units instead of foam.
5. Engine quality seems quite good, well engineered and thought out.

Cons: Sadly, lots...

1. The craft was made as a "fun" model, and the stability is not great for a fishing craft. It is very light, and with the engine being so light, it rocks side to side quite easily. I'm having Joe put on some new pontoon/sponson hybrids to alleviate that issue for me, and I'll post on here after we test them out.
2. The seat is wide, and the footwells shallow, so you ride a bit higher. Due to these factors, it feels less secure to me. Also, a wetter ride than my Sea Doo at lower speeds.
3. The Yamaha version of a dual throttle system (Ride) is more difficult to use than the Sea Doo version. The reverse throttle is an actual separate throttle, with a completely different performance curve than your main throttle, so it is far less intuitive and responsive than the Sea Doo, which utilized the secondary throttle as a gear shifter of sorts (squeeze to engage reverse bucket, then use main throttle for power). I have to plan my docking maneuvers on the Yamaha, whereas with the Sea Doo, I felt in total control while docking.
4. The main throttle performance curve is awful for the ocean. It is designed to be pinned at WOT all the time on lakes and rivers, so it is basically a hair trigger. When out in sloppy seas, you want fine throttle control to maintain a steady speed. There is no way to adjust or tune the throttle to fix this, not even aftermarket parts.
5. Cruise control tries to make up for this, but it fails. Imagine trying to push a button with your right thumb while trying to hold an exact speed of 35 while bumping around in chop and trying to hold a hair trigger with the index finger and middle finger of the same hand. Takes me 5 or 6 tries...
6. The paint scrapes off. The Sea Doo had a robust paint job with a lot of clearcoat. You can scratch Yamaha paint very easily by just moving around your boat and fishing. Doesn't bother me at all, but if you want your boat to look good for a long time, be wary.
7. Low weight carrying capacity in the rear and unstable performance under load once your fuel runs low. With a cooler of ice/crabs/fish, plus the weight of gear, I was practically popping a wheelie at the end of a tuna trip. Another reason for the pontoons.
8. Lots of recessed screws on the handlebars. You have to remember to wash them out well, or you can get corrosion there. Sea Doo has a much cleaner layout for their handlebars.

Why I passed over Kawasaki:

Pros:

1. Highly regarded as the best overall riding PWC for those that like to ride PWC's.
2. Highly respected in offshore racing and performance. The hull is supposedly the best for chop and very stable.
3. Largest fuel storage.
4. Reported great reliability.

Cons:

1. No dual throttle system. You have to take your hand away from the handlebars and pull a lever to go in reverse. After using Sea Doo iBR, I just couldn't imagine going back to a lever reverse system.
2. Not so great fuel economy. Even with the larger fuel tank, it still didn't have the range I wanted in an upgrade.
3. Smaller rear deck. I didn't want to have to build an aluminum frame to hold my cooler (which is funny, since I am having Joe do that now).
4. It costs $14,000.

If Kawasaki made a fuel efficient model using the Ultra LX hull, put a handlebar lever for reverse, shortened the seat to allow for a larger rear deck, and was sub $10,000, I'd have bought that instead.

Yamaha overall: Fuel efficiency is their main advantage. And it's something of a big deal for anyone considering offshore fishing.

Sea Doo overall: Great for beginners. Safe and stable rides. Lots of options to learn at your own pace.

Kawasaki overall: If you want to take on bigger water with a better hull, or just have the best ride possible in chop, this is the PWC you need.

Best all around winner:

From what I have heard, it would be the Yamaha FXHO. It has a larger and more stable hull than the VX that I chose, but still has better fuel economy than a Sea Doo or Kawasaki. Ultimately, I believe these are the most important factors anyone should consider when buying an ocean boat, not just a PWC; a good stable craft with plenty of fuel to get you home safely.

I took a chance on the VX, and now I'm having to get work done to correct the stability issue. In hindsight, it was a bittersweet choice, as I am needing to spend more on this project than I initially intended. I don't think any ocean fisherman should buy a VX at this point, unless you plan to add some type of pontoon system to the boat to offset the weight capacity and stability issues. These issues will become very apparent if you ever need to reboard your craft and you find it tips over while you are trying to get back on.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #19
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Another very big consideration is to not go supercharged/turbo. These enhancements add cost, wreck fuel economy, and add one more high maintenance component to the system...3 things which you really don't need for offshore fishing.

on the kawasaki, the Ultra LX has the same engine and hull design as it's supercharged big brother the Ultra 310 (which comes in LX, R, and X models). the plain LX model uses the same engine, slightly smaller jet pump and a normally aspirated fuel/air intake - pushing 160hp vs the supercharged version at 310. by my figuring, I concluded that if that engine can handle the output at 310hp, the same should be bullet proof at 160 and an easy throttle. And 160hp on an 11 foot boat is plenty...really, it is.

each of the 3 has a good model that can be modified for fishing. the main things i looked for was large platform, large fuel capacity, not supercharged. from there, start the modifications to fit your fishing style.

Last edited by Some Dude on a Ski; 04-26-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #20
Omahundro
Tuna!

Maybe one day a company will make a personal fishing craft and let us spend our money on that instead .
Old 04-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #21
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahundro View Post
Maybe one day a company will make a personal fishing craft and let us spend our money on that instead .
Just shut up and take my money!!!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #22
no excuses
Chromer

Quote:
Another very big consideration is to not go supercharged/turbo. These enhancements add cost, wreck fuel economy, and add one more high maintenance component to the system...3 things which you really don't need for offshore fishing.

on the kawasaki, the Ultra LX has the same engine and hull design as it's supercharged big brother the Ultra 310 (which comes in LX, R, and X models). the plain LX model uses the same engine, slightly smaller jet pump and a normally aspirated fuel/air intake - pushing 160hp vs the supercharged version at 310. by my figuring, I concluded that if that engine can handle the output at 310hp, the same should be bullet proof at 160 and an easy throttle. And 160hp on an 11 foot boat is plenty...really, it is.

each of the 3 has a good model that can be modified for fishing. the main things i looked for was large platform, large fuel capacity, not supercharged. from there, start the modifications to fit your fishing style.
I still think you should have manned up and gotten the ultra 310 lol
no excuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #23
BigBear
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshndad View Post

Nay, I started fishing from a PWC in 1996, paralyzed 12/1971 at the age of 20. So I started fishing from a PWC at age 45 and now 65 years old. So no excuse for Age or Disability. I have fished from Newport to the Cr/bar and everywhere in between. Ask me if I prefer fishing from my 22 ft. NR Sea Hawk or my pwc Sea Doo GTX 4-Tec? The answer is both, but will my NR out preform my GTX on any rough bar crossings. NO, my GTX has seen some huge bar crossing and no worries. I did fall off my pwc only once, it's called a learning curve. I have an extra GTX for anyone who seriously wants to check out a pwc for fishing. You only live once!

Darrel
BigBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:32 PM   #24
fishonthebrain
Steelhead

I ride a Yamaha FXHO. Before I purchased it, I managed to test ride all of the manufactures and models that had my attention for an ocean fishing stead. None of my choices had turbo's or superchargers for reliability and fuel economy for long runs. I also fish with a person that rides a Kawasaki Ultra LX. Before I go into the reasons I purchased my FXHO, I will give my unbiased opinion on the Kawasaki Ultra LX:

If I was asked by someone getting into PWC fishing about what machine they should look at, I would need to ask them where and how they plan on fishing. It is hard to beat the price and value of the Kawasaki Ultra LX- you get a big, deep, stable hull along with a bullet proof power plant, that is fuel efficient. If you look hard for a year end clearance or for a dealer that has a previous years model still, they're available for under 9K new without a trailer (I found them south of that when I was last looked). Lot of machine for the money. I believe the Kawasaki hull is slightly better in the big water than my FXHO. However when running hard in less than favorable conditions both ski's run and handle chop/swell combo well.

Now for the reasons that I chose the FXHO after riding numerous Seadoo's and the Kawasaki Ultra.

-I can run it conservatively for longer fishing trips and it's fuel burn is very good.
-The 180 horsepower motor has plenty of grunt to power through, around or 180 on a wave if needed.
-It's plenty fast for a fishing ski (governed at 63mph).
-It handles and turns smoothly, provides an easy enjoyable ride even in rough water.
-Stability is great, even when loaded; When fishing, I usually sit sideways on the seat to easily get to equipment and drop fish into the cooler, I've never felt compromised.
-Trolling, even slow for salmon; the handle bar mounted F/N/R controls (Seadoo has this also)make it effortless to maintain whatever speed you want.
-For me the cruise assist is great on normal ocean days-I can dial in my speed/rpm to get optimum fuel burn to speed and not think about it much.
-With the handlebar throttle & F/N/R controls maneuvering in tight quarters is pretty easy.

My biggest complaint with the FXHO- there is a pretty good array of factory electronics on the machine which are normally very nice to have. However there is a big exception to this: the security/learn mode remote. This remote is not waterproof-salt water will kill it. This remote is stupid expensive, it looks like the cheapest knock off car alarm remote you have seen. Yet it costs $170 at the dealer and then you have to pay the 1/2 hour minimum to have the dealer program your ski to the remote. They have to plug a special electronic harness into the ski to read the new remote. The same 1/2 hour of shop time is needed to reprogram if the battery dies. I searched online for a patch/work around for this, I was unable to find one as this module is also the security system. Luckily my ski was in the garage when the remote died from saltwater exposure, as the machine was somehow stuck in 'Learning mode'.

Currently with the models available, I would replace my ski with another FXHO for fishing.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:26 AM   #25
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishonthebrain View Post
I ride a Yamaha FXHO. Before I purchased it, I managed to test ride all of the manufactures and models that had my attention for an ocean fishing stead. None of my choices had turbo's or superchargers for reliability and fuel economy for long runs. I also fish with a person that rides a Kawasaki Ultra LX. Before I go into the reasons I purchased my FXHO, I will give my unbiased opinion on the Kawasaki Ultra LX:

If I was asked by someone getting into PWC fishing about what machine they should look at, I would need to ask them where and how they plan on fishing. It is hard to beat the price and value of the Kawasaki Ultra LX- you get a big, deep, stable hull along with a bullet proof power plant, that is fuel efficient. If you look hard for a year end clearance or for a dealer that has a previous years model still, they're available for under 9K new without a trailer (I found them south of that when I was last looked). Lot of machine for the money. I believe the Kawasaki hull is slightly better in the big water than my FXHO. However when running hard in less than favorable conditions both ski's run and handle chop/swell combo well.

Now for the reasons that I chose the FXHO after riding numerous Seadoo's and the Kawasaki Ultra.

-I can run it conservatively for longer fishing trips and it's fuel burn is very good.
-The 180 horsepower motor has plenty of grunt to power through, around or 180 on a wave if needed.
-It's plenty fast for a fishing ski (governed at 63mph).
-It handles and turns smoothly, provides an easy enjoyable ride even in rough water.
-Stability is great, even when loaded; When fishing, I usually sit sideways on the seat to easily get to equipment and drop fish into the cooler, I've never felt compromised.
-Trolling, even slow for salmon; the handle bar mounted F/N/R controls (Seadoo has this also)make it effortless to maintain whatever speed you want.
-For me the cruise assist is great on normal ocean days-I can dial in my speed/rpm to get optimum fuel burn to speed and not think about it much.
-With the handlebar throttle & F/N/R controls maneuvering in tight quarters is pretty easy.

My biggest complaint with the FXHO- there is a pretty good array of factory electronics on the machine which are normally very nice to have. However there is a big exception to this: the security/learn mode remote. This remote is not waterproof-salt water will kill it. This remote is stupid expensive, it looks like the cheapest knock off car alarm remote you have seen. Yet it costs $170 at the dealer and then you have to pay the 1/2 hour minimum to have the dealer program your ski to the remote. They have to plug a special electronic harness into the ski to read the new remote. The same 1/2 hour of shop time is needed to reprogram if the battery dies. I searched online for a patch/work around for this, I was unable to find one as this module is also the security system. Luckily my ski was in the garage when the remote died from saltwater exposure, as the machine was somehow stuck in 'Learning mode'.

Currently with the models available, I would replace my ski with another FXHO for fishing.
Fantastic writeup. Would really enjoy seeing more pics of your pwc, and some details on the work you had done to it.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #26
FallFever
Cutthroat

I run a 2015 SeaDoo GTX 155 had a rack made by Quite Riot to hold a 152qt cooler, two removable trays that hold a 5 gallon gas can on each side, removable bleed bucket, and 7 rocket launchers with 2 additional trolling holders. I am perfectly happy with it really, of course the only down fall is the fuel economy but I can run out 40 miles and back on 20 gallons so it could be worse. The biggest selling point for me on this ski was the idle speed control with allows me to set a troll speed from 2-7mph without touching the throttle, to disengage I just simply tap the brake and I am in neutral.

It would be nice if we could all get together this summer and do some fishing. I hate running alone.

Last edited by FallFever; 04-27-2017 at 12:19 PM.
FallFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #27
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Here's a dash view of my setup, the cobra radio in this has been swapped out for a standard horizon 1700 so I can network info to the chart plotter-primarily fishing buddies positions...it doesn't take much for a ski to disappear behind swell, having the plotter and radio working to auto track each other is a big bonus.

Also in this is my test run of my down rigger. I'm using a tanacom electric reel on a mount Joe (quite riot) made. The downrigger setup worked fairly well, but I haven't used it in deep water yet, and limited the weight to 4 lbs...so the jury is still out on using this effectively as a downrigger. However, the electric reel on the ski is going to be sweet once paired up with the halibut rod instead of the downrigger mount.

Joe did an incredible job on the racks on this thing. Two trolling rod holders 1 set out off each side, and (not shown) 6 rocket launchers (3each side). Magnetic compass front and center, two cup holders, and a couple storage cans for Plano boxes.

Lowrance HDS 7 paired with a Airmar P79 transducer. Second picture shows the busted lock ring on the transducer mount, I've now got a new lock ring reinforced with silicon to hold it together and give some vibration dampening. This is mounted in the far back corner of the ski and holds bottom through full speed range until the ski starts skipping on chop.

The VHF is connected to a 8 foot Shakespeare...if I had to do this over again, I would use the new removable antenna...nice to not have if just out for a joy ride on the local lake.

Finally, after fishing a few years with a cooler on back, I've switched to a catch bag. Makes it a lot less of a challenge to climb over and uses up much less dead space. I was always paranoid about blowing the lid off the cooler and having the ski end up upside down. I'm pretty sure that you'd have no chance of rolling it back upright. While this is really only a concern for the surf zone, it's still a big concern.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #28
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Last post my dash picture didn't make it...so here it goes again
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #29
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallFever View Post

It would be nice if we could all get together this summer and do some fishing. I hate running alone.
For sure!
Old 04-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #30
IIonPilgrimg
Tuna!

Quote:
Here's a dash view of my setup, the cobra radio in this has been swapped out for a standard horizon 1700 so I can network info to the chart plotter-primarily fishing buddies positions...it doesn't take much for a ski to disappear behind swell, having the plotter and radio working to auto track each other is a big bonus.
Your PWCs are ideal candidates for the S.H.2200 VHF with AIS. In the AIS thread we just debugged how to connect it. I'd enjoy seeing your plots fly across my screen at 35 knots, buddy or not.
IIonPilgrimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #31
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

I'm going to be looking at Netarts Saturday, 1st light launch and try to get outa the bay while it still got water in it
Old 04-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #32
Jon55
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
I have an extra GTX for anyone who seriously wants to check out a pwc for fishing. You only live once!
Now HERE is a smart man. He fishes out of a pwc and can still take a friend.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #33
fishonthebrain
Steelhead

Quote:
I'm going to be looking at Netarts Saturday, 1st light launch and try to get outa the bay while it still got water in it
Being out of town; you're killing me that I can't fish on the ski this weekend. I will man up and try to get over that, utilizing local food and drink and possibly getting out after some of the local fish.

Omahundro-when I'm back I will post pictures of my ski's console and rack.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #34
fyshndad
King Salmon

Quote:
Nay, I started fishing from a PWC in 1996, paralyzed 12/1971 at the age of 20. So I started fishing from a PWC at age 45 and now 65 years old. So no excuse for Age or Disability. I have fished from Newport to the Cr/bar and everywhere in between. Ask me if I prefer fishing from my 22 ft. NR Sea Hawk or my pwc Sea Doo GTX 4-Tec? The answer is both, but will my NR out preform my GTX on any rough bar crossings. NO, my GTX has seen some huge bar crossing and no worries. I did fall off my pwc only once, it's called a learning curve. I have an extra GTX for anyone who seriously wants to check out a pwc for fishing. You only live once!

Darrel
Sounds interesting but I've never been on a PWC
I also know my physical limitations, I can barely handle fishing from my Dory

I would be interested in trying out a PWC but I don't think the ocean is a great place to learn

Old 04-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #35
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

launched Netarts Saturday 4-29 at 1st light. getting outside was a bit sporty with the ebb chop, pretty much a washing machine at the mouth. Other than one wedge that stacked up right infront of me when two cross swells slapped together, it wasn't too bad, and the hang time was fun!

once outside, the was able to run at 30mph pretty comfortably south where i found my limit of rock fish before 7:30. I the changed to just a single big jig and went on the lookout for lings. took till about 10:30 to get two keeper lings, had cabazon been in season, i would have had a nice one! was an incredible day on the water, and a much needed freezer filler run.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #36
Omahundro
Tuna!

Joe is just starting to lay the groundwork for my project.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #37
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Quote:
This is going to be a fun one to watch!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:01 PM   #38
fishonthebrain
Steelhead

Quote:
Are you planning on having sponsons back on the ski when the fabricated work is done?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:09 AM   #39
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
Are you planning on having sponsons back on the ski when the fabricated work is done?
No. The pontoons are going to be a hybrid pontoon/sponson. Joe and I did talk about incorporating the factory sponsons back onto the design, but we decided just fabbing up something entirely new would be more fun .
Old 05-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #40
BigBear
Steelhead

Quote:
No. The pontoons are going to be a hybrid pontoon/sponson. Joe and I did talk about incorporating the factory sponsons back onto the design, but we decided just fabbing up something entirely new would be more fun .
Awesome Matt and look forward to seeing this finished work of art in the near future.

We have talked many times about a new pwc/boat design for just one person on the salt. I have modified my side x side for my disability and put a custom seat and back rest on my pwc. I know we cannot be the only people wanting a single operator/bad boy salt craft for fishing! A few production boats even close to my idea is a small, Stabicraft, Boston Whaler and or SeaDoo Speedster, all still would require modifications. Modifying seems to be the only option for now, until someone see the need for a newly design boat and has the expertise to make it happen.
BigBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #41
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
Awesome Matt and look forward to seeing this finished work of art in the near future.

We have talked many times about a new pwc/boat design for just one person on the salt. I have modified my side x side for my disability and put a custom seat and back rest on my pwc. I know we cannot be the only people wanting a single operator/bad boy salt craft for fishing! A few production boats even close to my idea is a small, Stabicraft, Boston Whaler and or SeaDoo Speedster, all still would require modifications. Modifying seems to be the only option for now, until someone see the need for a newly design boat and has the expertise to make it happen.
I don't know why one of the aluminum shops doesn't try their hand at it. I understand that fiberglass shops are a bit hesitant with the investments in molds, but one of these welders should be able to tinker up a good economical design!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #42
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Take a look at the alumaski. Not an ocean rig, but pretty solid river runner!!! Do the same thing with a deep V instead of the flat bottom.

Matt, one thought I had on your pontoons is to make sure you still get an edge built into it for it to grab while cornering, otherwise it would slide out real easy in a hard turn
Old 05-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #43
Quiet Riot

His 'toons are getting a reverse chine to bite for turning and help lift on takeoff, but they'll have to be kept short to keep from grabbing waves/splash when running and causing adverse handling effects.

Aluminum Works by JD
Old 05-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #44
fishonthebrain
Steelhead

I'm looking forward to watching the build progress!
Old 05-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #45
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
Matt, one thought I had on your pontoons is to make sure you still get an edge built into it for it to grab while cornering, otherwise it would slide out real easy in a hard turn
Oh yeah, Joe and I definitely talked about that. I watched a video or two on folks who took off their factory sponsons and just slide across the water, haha.

This is definitely an experimental setup. I'll be testing it out thoroughly in the lake and river before taking it to the salt. The reverse chine that Joe mentioned should be plenty, though.

I was going to put in an electrical system like yours, but I had to postpone that project until summer. I have to get new tires on the car... Any issues with your electric system? Any changes/upgrades you would make to it?
Old 05-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #46
Omahundro
Tuna!

More progress =).
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #47
pharmseller
King Salmon

Long_shot had some great input.

P

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #48
fishonthebrain
Steelhead

Omahundro, are they going to airtight or open/displacement for storage?
Old 05-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #49
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
Omahundro, are they going to airtight or open/displacement for storage?
Airtight, I believe. Was just up at Joe's place checking them out and going over a couple details (adding on a transducer mount similar to yours, and moving placement of the antenna to the bow), and he explained he wants to keep an access hatch on them, just in case we need to remove them for any reason, but I am not sure on the exact details of it.

I don't plan to utilize them for any storage, as I pretty much have all my necessary gear trimmed down to fit in the available storage I currently have. I keep an emergency toolkit and my crab rope in the main bow storage; tie down rope, paperwork, terminal tackle, and my jig bag in the "glove box" central storage; extra fuses, etc in the underseat drybox; and my tuna/halibut/ling cod gear all fits in the two orange dryboxes I have affixed to the front of my cooler.

I try my best to do more with less =).
Old 05-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #50
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Quote:

I was going to put in an electrical system like yours, but I had to postpone that project until summer. I have to get new tires on the car... Any issues with your electric system? Any changes/upgrades you would make to it?
Flawless...the only thing I've changed was the addition of the electric reel circuit which doubles as a charge port in the garage with the batteries selector on combine. I've been meaning to get some pictures and a write up on here about what i did with that...soon

"At Sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much." Robin Lee Graham
Old 05-06-2017, 06:20 PM   #51
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

Looking pretty good!!! i'll be able to stand on your back deck and fish with no problem by the looks of that!

Old 05-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #52
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
Flawless...the only thing I've changed was the addition of the electric reel circuit which doubles as a charge port in the garage with the batteries selector on combine. I've been meaning to get some pictures and a write up on here about what i did with that...soon
Fantastic. I will definitely be doing that upgrade this summer then. Looking forward to your write up.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #53
Omahundro
Tuna!

More progress.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #54
Some Dude on a Ski
Coho

how much extra fuel will that end up holding?

Old 05-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #55
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
how much extra fuel will that end up holding?
8.5ish =).
Old 05-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #56
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I know nothing about this sort of thing so excuse my concerns if they seem really stupid.

With the 'toons in the rear, I'd be concerned with them creating excessive lift/flotation and forcing the nose down, into the swell/waves. Just a thought.....
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #57
Quiet Riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I know nothing about this sort of thing so excuse my concerns if they seem really stupid.

With the 'toons in the rear, I'd be concerned with them creating excessive lift/flotation and forcing the nose down, into the swell/waves. Just a thought.....
Yup, definitely a concern. I'm keeping them small, pointed to slice through waves/shed oncoming water, and well above the normal planing waterline. They're designed to displace water only at rest, hard turning, and takeoff, especially when a loaded cooler is back there and someone is trying to climb back on the ski.

I've never done this for a ski so it's new ground there, but I've done this on poorly setup/designed big boats and helped them significantly. One of them was much faster than any ski and one slower. Still, it will need lots of testing and hopefully not much fine tuning.

Aluminum Works by JD
Old 05-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #58
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post

Definitely a concern, but I have to do something about the stability. The nose on the craft pops up a little too far right now, and sometimes, under heavy load, I nearly "pop a wheelie" in it. Not exactly what I want to be doing.

My main concerns are lateral stability while the craft is at rest (for pulling up crab pots and getting back in the craft), and more buoyancy in the rear to take the weight of a limit of crab, ice, fish, etc.

Joe went over the possibility that it could bring the nose down into the waves with me, and I decided to try, anyway. I'll be testing it out in Haag Lake for an initial trial, and then on the Columbia on a long distance run (200 miles) to test the range. I fully expect to run into some adverse conditions in the upper river, and am prepared for failure.

If the entire idea fails, it will be my failure, and I'll be out some cash. Live and learn. I'll then have a few other options:

1. Sell my VX and buy an FX. This option costs me the most. I'd lose a lot on the current VX, and would have to make up the difference of the FX (it's $13k, as opposed to $9k). So, easily a $6000 "upgrade" to get stability. In addition to that, I'd still need to get a fabbed fuel tank to increase my range, and it would need to be closer to 15 gallons. I'd say another $700 for the tank. So, $6700 to get where I need to be on an FX.

2. Buy a RIB skirt from Wing Inflatables for $3500. Offers lots and lots of stability, but it's designed to be used in conjunction with a rescue sled to give it rear buoyancy. I'd still be popping wheelies under load...

3. Buy a DockitJet pontoon system for $1700, plus $400 shipping, since it's from a very small business... in Indonesia... As much as I like the actual product, I just don't think buying it from out of country will be a good choice.

So, $1500 to a local welder to fab up something that has never been done before seems like the way to go. And hey, if it does work, well then how awesome will that be? I'm optimistic for awesome, and prepared for not-so-awesome.

P.S. If the not-so-awesome happens, like me getting launched from my boat at 50mph, then all I can say is that it will make for an interesting video .
Old 05-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #59
fishonthebrain
Steelhead

With the different sized "tubby's" that Shoreline offers and the scores of happy customers; I want to believe you will be happy with your build.

I wanted to install Tubby XL's on my FXHO but shipping cost for one set was almost as much as the Tubby's. In my opinion, you made the best choice taking on fabricating the components!
Old 05-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #60
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
With the different sized "tubby's" that Shoreline offers and the scores of happy customers; I want to believe you will be happy with your build.

I wanted to install Tubby XL's on my FXHO but shipping cost for one set was almost as much as the Tubby's. In my opinion, you made the best choice taking on fabricating the components!
Yeah I definitely looked at the Shoreline Tubbies as well, but ultimately didn't like the layout of them. Cost was also a factor. I think they run around $5k.

The other contender was Jetwings.
Attached Images