7mm Rem mag Load development help - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
Steel4Sam
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 615
Default 7mm Rem mag Load development help

Ok so I've been reloading for about a year and really enjoy it, however I have a lot to learn. My dad put a VX6 on a Winchester Model 70 Classic Boss 7mm mag he owns. I thought I would build a load for him to have his turrets built off of. I found some amazing results after the first round

I based my load off of Nosler's data using RL22 and 175 gr aclr
Load #1 (shot last)
58.5 gr
3.28 oal
100 yard 3 shot group- .249" ( I was dumbstruck! Never shot anything that tight in my life.)

Load #2
60.5 gr
3.28 OAL
3 shot group- .967"

Load #3 (shot first)
62.5 gr (noslers most accurate load)
3.28 OAL
3 shot group- 1.6"

So obviously load #1 crushed the field. Do you guys suggest that I load them up again and try at 200 yards? Also we have yet to tune the BOSS, if anyone has any tips for that I would appreciate it. Honestly I'm hesitant to change too much with the results I have. Though I suppose things could change at long range.

Thanks
Sam


Last edited by Steel4Sam; 02-20-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Steel4Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,065
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

First, (if you haven't done it) you need to determine the correct seating depth for the rifle and not rely on what the book says. If you go to Midway.com, they have videos to show you how to do it. If you Google, there are probably many others. After you do this, that last load might really tighten up? Don't know till you try. Every bullet has a preference as to its seating depth. Every time you change bullets, you'll need to do the procedure all over again so keep good records.

If this is a hunting load you're after, especially if being used at ranges over 300 yards, don't sacrifice too much velocity to get ultimate accuracy. You'll reach a point where whatever accuracy you have is good enough but 1.6" isn't it.

You might consider a lighter bullet, depending on what he'll be hunting.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
541 Native son
Tuna!
 
541 Native son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 1,310
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Were you letting the barrel cool between shots? Is the gun comfortable to shoot, meaning, were you maybe flinching after about the fourth or fifth shot? Each successive group got bigger is why I ask.

Do you have a chronograph to check for consistent velocity? If you aren't too far away, I have one you could borrow

I, personally, like "heavy for caliber" bullets. I shoot 175s out of my 7 mag for everything, but, my barrel will stabilize them fine. Do you know the rate of twist on your dad's gun?

I haven't ever played around with a BOSS, so can't help you there.

If I were you, I believe I would start out with your first recipe and go up and down a half grain of powder. Five rounds each, for a total of 15, then see where you are at. Five minutes between shots is not too long to wait and ten is better. Shoot your handgun or a .22 (if you can find ammo) while you are waiting between shots.

What I do is put three hotspots, spaced well apart, on a single target and rotate between the rounds. Lowest charge at one spot, medium charge at another spot, heaviest charge at the third. Low, medium, high, high, medium, low and so on until your 15 rounds are exhausted. That should tell you whether your load is grouping consistently or not.

Consistency is the key to accurate shooting. Rifle in the same place on the bags every time. Same cheek weld, same trigger squeeze, same breathing pattern, same foot position, same back position, etc. Consistency in how you build your rounds, obviously. Are you weighing each charge, seating the bullet the same way each time? Same amount of pressure while seating the primers, etc.
__________________
Despite our ever-changing world, with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood.
541 Native son is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,065
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

I don't think it's a twist issue but ya never know what can turn up from time to time. A slow twist will favor lighter bullets or less velocity.

Might try some IMR7977 powder? Maybe a standard primer?

Most recent Hodgdon info shows seating depth at 3.290 which doesn't mean a whole lot. You still need to figure out what the rifle wants with a starting point of .010 off the lands. That is unless someone suggest a different starting point for that bullet.

I would take 541 up on his offer of a chronograph if you don't have one. Every serious handloader needs access to one.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
Steel4Sam
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 541 Native son View Post
Were you letting the barrel cool between shots? Is the gun comfortable to shoot, meaning, were you maybe flinching after about the fourth or fifth shot? Each successive group got bigger is why I ask.

Do you have a chronograph to check for consistent velocity? If you aren't too far away, I have one you could borrow

I, personally, like "heavy for caliber" bullets. I shoot 175s out of my 7 mag for everything, but, my barrel will stabilize them fine. Do you know the rate of twist on your dad's gun?

I haven't ever played around with a BOSS, so can't help you there.

If I were you, I believe I would start out with your first recipe and go up and down a half grain of powder. Five rounds each, for a total of 15, then see where you are at. Five minutes between shots is not too long to wait and ten is better. Shoot your handgun or a .22 (if you can find ammo) while you are waiting between shots.

What I do is put three hotspots, spaced well apart, on a single target and rotate between the rounds. Lowest charge at one spot, medium charge at another spot, heaviest charge at the third. Low, medium, high, high, medium, low and so on until your 15 rounds are exhausted. That should tell you whether your load is grouping consistently or not.

Consistency is the key to accurate shooting. Rifle in the same place on the bags every time. Same cheek weld, same trigger squeeze, same breathing pattern, same foot position, same back position, etc. Consistency in how you build your rounds, obviously. Are you weighing each charge, seating the bullet the same way each time? Same amount of pressure while seating the primers, etc.

Great questions, in regards to your first, I'll edit to relectk order, which was opposite of our I listed it. Meaning the biggest gap was with a cold barrel and no flinching. The best group was shot last, I did my best to allow the barrel to cool but could not wait long enough to allow it to be "cold." As far as consistency yes I do my best to be as consistent as possible. With all that said I feel like there is a clear winner with my #1 load, I don't imagine I will make a tighter group in my like. Under 1/4 inch at 100 yards recognizing that this is a stock gun and I'm shooting under imperfect circumstances. I will certainly continue to develop but damn I'm pretty impressed.
Steel4Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
whitey375
Ifish Nate
 
whitey375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,493
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

If it didn't start out accurate it's not going to get any better. Reload 10 rounds of #1. Shoot all at same point at 200 yards, check to see if it's still accurate. Chronograph, then figure out drop data. Load another 15-20 and verify at 400, 600, 800, and 1,000. Kill stuff.

My only concern is the use of RL22. Temp sensitive. If you decide to rework the load, use IMR 7977, Retumbo, or H1000.

Last edited by whitey375; 02-13-2017 at 01:37 PM.
whitey375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
Steel4Sam
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey375 View Post
If it didn't start out accurate it's not going to get any better. Reload 10 rounds of #1. Shoot all at same point at 200 yards, check to see if it's still accurate. Chronograph, then figure out drop data. Load another 15-20 and verify at 400, 600, 800, and 1,000. Kill stuff.

My only concern is the use of RL22. Temp sensitive. If you decide to rework the load, use IMR 7977, Retumbo, or H1000.
Good to know on the powders, I was just going off of Nosler's data, that's all I know.
Steel4Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,065
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Alliant reformulated some of their powders a while back, don't know if 22 was one of them? Have heard both sides, yes and no. If no, don't let it get warm, it does crazy stuff. A great powder otherwise.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #9
whitey375
Ifish Nate
 
whitey375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,493
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Alliant reformulated some of their powders a while back, don't know if 22 was one of them? Have heard both sides, yes and no. If no, don't let it get warm, it does crazy stuff. A great powder otherwise.
From what I understand 23 is a temp stable version of 22, 26 is a temp stable version of 25, 16 is a temp stable version of 17, and 33 is supposed to be.
whitey375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #10
541 Native son
Tuna!
 
541 Native son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 1,310
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

RL 22 is what I use for my 7mag's pet load. I've never experienced any problems due to temp, but I'm not hunting anywhere where it gets warm. Haven't killed a ton of stuff with that rifle, but haven't hunted a bunch in the last few years either. God as my witness, every animal I've ever pointed that rifle at has died with a single shot and no tracking needed. Good rests, reasonable distances, not stressed, never knew what hit them.
__________________
Despite our ever-changing world, with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood.
541 Native son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #11
Steel4Sam
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 615
Default

Is 5-10 minutes between shots common? What is most guys routines?
Steel4Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #12
pharmseller
King Salmon
 
pharmseller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 18,124
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Sam View Post
Is 5-10 minutes between shots common? What is most guys routines?
That's a lifetime. A minute, maybe two.





P
__________________
So, here I am, eating crow, or duck you might say, as promised. Again, congrats, you just won the day.
AnnualCry

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #13
whitey375
Ifish Nate
 
whitey375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,493
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Sam View Post
Is 5-10 minutes between shots common? What is most guys routines?
I set a 5-8 minute timer when working out loads for the really big stuff or rifles with thick barrels. 4 minutes with smaller stuff with thin barrels. All ambient condition variable though. I also have a cheap laser thermometer and won't shoot unless the barrel is cooler than 90°, even in summer, under the shade of the roof barrel steel is rarely over 75°.
whitey375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #14
Don Fischer
King Salmon
 
Don Fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Antelope, Ore
Posts: 5,686
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Work up loads on cool spring days. Really help's in keeping the barrel cool. Shoot three shot's and walk down and look at your target. About the time you get back barrel will cool down very well.

Measure the length your shell can be. Close the bolt and run a cleaning rod to the bolt face, mark the rod at the muzzle. Remove the bolt and drop a bullet into the chamber. Hold the bullet there with a new wood pencil and then run the rod till it hit's the bullet and again mark the rod. Measure between the two marks and that is the length you can load and still have it chamber. Be aware that with that setting, you will have to bullet touching the lands. I like the bullet just back of the lands. I get a bullet seated to that length and then set down maybe 1/2 turn of the seater die at a time until I no longer have land marks on the bullet ogive. I se that seat die permently for that rifle. You change bullet's no problem. The measurement from the bolt head to the ogive will not change regardless og the bullet you use.

The problem I had with a 7mm mag, well all belted case's is case head exasperation, bright ring around the case just in front of the belt. To stop it, with a new case, after one firing, neck size only. Set the size die till you can still see the die marks on the case when it comes out. Fire that case just like that till the bolt won't close on it anymore and then partial size. To do that, turn the die down till the die mark is right at the junction of the neck and shoulder. Then do down 1/8th turn at a time until you can chamber that case easily. Some guy's like to feel the case rub a bit at that point, I don't. Rimmed case's chambers are a lot of time pretty sloppy as the head space is measured to the rim. By partial sizing, you take up any slop in the chamber and pretty much have the case headspacing on the shoulder. Pretty common in a lot of belted chambers. Also pretty common in rimmed case's.
__________________
I feel sorry for the guy that has never been loved by a dog!

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #15
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,065
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

"The measurement from the bolt face to the ogive will not change regardless of the bullet you use." But, long slender bullets may not fit the rifles magazine.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:02 AM   #16
Don Fischer
King Salmon
 
Don Fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Antelope, Ore
Posts: 5,686
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
"The measurement from the bolt face to the ogive will not change regardless of the bullet you use." But, long slender bullets may not fit the rifles magazine.
Yes! One of the disadvantages of trying to turn a 100 yd cartridge into a 1000 yd cartridge! :-)
__________________
I feel sorry for the guy that has never been loved by a dog!

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #17
dog
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 362
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 541 Native son View Post
RL 22 is what I use for my 7mag's pet load. I've never experienced any problems due to temp, but I'm not hunting anywhere where it gets warm. Haven't killed a ton of stuff with that rifle, but haven't hunted a bunch in the last few years either. God as my witness, every animal I've ever pointed that rifle at has died with a single shot and no tracking needed. Good rests, reasonable distances, not stressed, never knew what hit them.
My pet load for my 25.06, 7mmmag, and 300WM are all using RL22. Never had a temp problem either. 25.06 shot 2 antelope and it was hot. These 3 guns were all loaded up until pressure signs showed up and then backed off either 3 or 4 grains. My Rem 700 BDL mag likes 160 grain Nosler partitions best. never could get a really good load for any 175 grain bullet with my 7mm mag. Personally believe 160-165 grain bullets fit the 7mm Mag best r.e. velocity with accuracy. But then every rifle is different. My 25.06 loves Barnes TTSX 100 grains, 7mmMag loves Nosler partitions 160 grain and my 300WM loves 200 grain Accubonds. As noted above if you want to seriously reload a chronograph is extremely helpful in getting that pet load.
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #18
Don Fischer
King Salmon
 
Don Fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Antelope, Ore
Posts: 5,686
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

I would not recommend anyone doing that!
__________________
I feel sorry for the guy that has never been loved by a dog!

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #19
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,065
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

I got a reaction one time using RL-22. When I started shooting, I was in the shade and it wasn't hot out. This changed as the morning wore on. I was doing my best to keep the rifle somewhat cool, wet rags, etc. but it became difficult to do so. I was doing some pressure testing with a .257 Roberts, powder charges increasing by .5 gr. increments. Velocities stabilized at a tad over 3200 fps then suddenly jumped by 200 fps. I fired one more round to verify the chronograph didn't just toss out a goofy number and it was still showing 3400fps+. Don't remember for sure but I think the load was 53.5 gr. I never ventured into that territory again. Figured the combination of warm rifle and warm ammo wasn't a good mix. The load I settled on was around 51 gr. at 3175 fps with the 100 gr. Partition, Winchester brass. Don't try this with Remington or other low volume brass. Knock it back at least a grain and a half.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #20
jagare
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: klamath country
Posts: 1,272
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Sam View Post
Ok so I've been reloading for about a year and really enjoy it, however I have a lot to learn. My dad put a VX6 on a Winchester Model 70 Classic Boss 7mm mag he owns. I thought I would build a load for him to have his turrets built off of. I found some amazing results after the first round

I based my load off of Nosler's data using RL22 and 175 gr aclr
Load #1 (shot last)
58.5 gr
3.28 oal
100 yard 3 shot group- .249" ( I was dumbstruck! Never shot anything that tight in my life.)

Load #2
60.5 gr
3.28 OAL
3 shot group- .967"

Load #3 (shot first)
62.5 gr (noslers most accurate load)
3.28 OAL
3 shot group- 1.6"

So obviously load #1 crushed the field. Do you guys suggest that I load them up again and try at 200 yards? Also we have yet to tune the BOSS, if anyone has any tips for that I would appreciate it. Honestly I'm hesitant to change too much with the results I have. Though I suppose things could change at long range.

Thanks
Sam
. Looks like you found a load the rifle likes. Make more of the same and try to get the same results. If the next batch shoots good, quit there, you found a load! My two cents. Of course you could move the boss, change overall length, change, change and change again, never getting any better results from that rifle! Your choice!!!!!
jagare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #21
Steel4Sam
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagare View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Sam View Post
Ok so I've been reloading for about a year and really enjoy it, however I have a lot to learn. My dad put a VX6 on a Winchester Model 70 Classic Boss 7mm mag he owns. I thought I would build a load for him to have his turrets built off of. I found some amazing results after the first round

I based my load off of Nosler's data using RL22 and 175 gr aclr
Load #1 (shot last)
58.5 gr
3.28 oal
100 yard 3 shot group- .249" ( I was dumbstruck! Never shot anything that tight in my life.)

Load #2
60.5 gr
3.28 OAL
3 shot group- .967"

Load #3 (shot first)
62.5 gr (noslers most accurate load)
3.28 OAL
3 shot group- 1.6"

So obviously load #1 crushed the field. Do you guys suggest that I load them up again and try at 200 yards? Also we have yet to tune the BOSS, if anyone has any tips for that I would appreciate it. Honestly I'm hesitant to change too much with the results I have. Though I suppose things could change at long range.

Thanks
Sam
. Looks like you found a load the rifle likes. Make more of the same and try to get the same results. If the next batch shoots good, quit there, you found a load! My two cents. Of course you could move the boss, change overall length, change, change and change again, never getting any better results from that rifle! Your choice!!!!!

That's what I thought then everyone had all these tips and things to try and I was wondering how much better they thought it could get! Damn!
Steel4Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 PM   #22
whitey375
Ifish Nate
 
whitey375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,493
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Sam View Post
That's what I thought then everyone had all these tips and things to try and I was wondering how much better they thought it could get! Damn!
A solid 1/4 MOA rifle is rare. I shoot (pun intended) for 1/2 MOA at all distances, although better is expected. In all reality, a 1 MOA rifle in all conditions and all ranges is a solid hunting rifle.
whitey375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:43 AM   #23
slave4chrome
Tuna!
 
slave4chrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,694
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog View Post
My pet load for my 25.06, 7mmmag, and 300WM are all using RL22. Never had a temp problem either. 25.06 shot 2 antelope and it was hot. These 3 guns were all loaded up until pressure signs showed up and then backed off either 3 or 4 grains. My Rem 700 BDL mag likes 160 grain Nosler partitions best. never could get a really good load for any 175 grain bullet with my 7mm mag. Personally believe 160-165 grain bullets fit the 7mm Mag best r.e. velocity with accuracy. But then every rifle is different. My 25.06 loves Barnes TTSX 100 grains, 7mmMag loves Nosler partitions 160 grain and my 300WM loves 200 grain Accubonds. As noted above if you want to seriously reload a chronograph is extremely helpful in getting that pet load.
ever work up a accubond load with rl22 for the 7mm?
slave4chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 AM   #24
pharmseller
King Salmon
 
pharmseller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 18,124
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey375 View Post
A solid 1/4 MOA rifle is rare. I shoot (pun intended) for 1/2 MOA at all distances, although better is expected. In all reality, a 1 MOA rifle in all conditions and all ranges is a solid hunting rifle.
Rarer still is a 1/4 MOA shooter.




P
__________________
So, here I am, eating crow, or duck you might say, as promised. Again, congrats, you just won the day.
AnnualCry

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #25
whitey375
Ifish Nate
 
whitey375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,493
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
Rarer still is a 1/4 MOA shooter.




P
Indeed
whitey375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #26
dog
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 362
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by slave4chrome View Post
ever work up a accubond load with rl22 for the 7mm?
I tried my best but my gun(7mmmag) does not like the accubonds.
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #27
dog
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 362
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by slave4chrome View Post
ever work up a accubond load with rl22 for the 7mm?
I tried a ton of "options" Powders,Bullets, primers, seating depth et.al. with each one of my guns. Bottom line is, at the end, the best combo for each of my guns was they all liked RL22 w/the bullet I noted. Specifically to your question, I could not get any grain Accubond to shoot near as accurately in my 7mmag(Rem 700 BDL) as the partitions. I really wanted it to because of tip deformation in the magazine with partitions but it was not to be. Just the opposite with my Tikka 300WM: 200 Accubonds were the go to bullet. And my 2506(Rem 700 BDL) doesn't like either the accubonds or partitions nor the 120 TTSXs but loves the 100 TTSX.

Moral to the story: Other peoples anecdotal personal experiences with their guns are a good place to start, including mine, but that is it, just a place to start. Before RL 22 came out I was using H870 in the 7mmag and IMR4350 in the 2506. RL 22 improved velocity and accuracy in both those rifles. And now with years of using RL22 I and others I personally know have never had temp issues with it.
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #28
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,065
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Dog: I think the problem with your .25-'06 could be related to twist? A 1 in 10 is borderline for those long .25 cal. bullets. Most rifles shoot okay but a select few don't. Let this be a warning to those planning on building a hot .25, (.250/3000 on up) get a 1 in 9 twist barrel just to be safe if you're planning on shooting bullets heavier than 100 gr. Yes, a hand loaded .250/3000 is a hot .25 when chambered in a bolt action rifle.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #29
roosevelt
King Salmon
 
roosevelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: transient
Posts: 18,757
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
Rarer still is a 1/4 MOA shooter.




P
I feel pretty fortunate to be in this group....now I just need to find a rifle that shoots as good as I do.
__________________
Hunt for sport, kill for food
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #30
pharmseller
King Salmon
 
pharmseller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 18,124
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I feel pretty fortunate to be in this group....now I just need to find a rifle that shoots as good as I do.

Too easy.





P
__________________
So, here I am, eating crow, or duck you might say, as promised. Again, congrats, you just won the day.
AnnualCry

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #31
Don Fischer
King Salmon
 
Don Fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Antelope, Ore
Posts: 5,686
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey375 View Post
A solid 1/4 MOA rifle is rare. I shoot (pun intended) for 1/2 MOA at all distances, although better is expected. In all reality, a 1 MOA rifle in all conditions and all ranges is a solid hunting rifle.
For about 99% of shots taken hunting, 1 1/2" @ 100 is fine. I go for 1" @100. I'm not so sure you can get a factory rifle that has not been bedded do 1/2" on purpose!
__________________
I feel sorry for the guy that has never been loved by a dog!

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #32
whitey375
Ifish Nate
 
whitey375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,493
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
For about 99% of shots taken hunting, 1 1/2" @ 100 is fine. I go for 1" @100. I'm not so sure you can get a factory rifle that has not been bedded do 1/2" on purpose!
I have, numerous times. Just gotta hold your lip at the right angle.
whitey375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #33
pharmseller
King Salmon
 
pharmseller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 18,124
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
For about 99% of shots taken hunting, 1 1/2" @ 100 is fine. I go for 1" @100. I'm not so sure you can get a factory rifle that has not been bedded do 1/2" on purpose!
Au contraire mon frere!

T3 Superlite




Standard T3





Another T3




T3 7mm Rem Mag I bought used. My first try with 162 ELD-X, I'll bet I can shrink that group by playing with depth.







P
__________________
So, here I am, eating crow, or duck you might say, as promised. Again, congrats, you just won the day.
AnnualCry

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #34
dog
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 362
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Dog: I think the problem with your .25-'06 could be related to twist? A 1 in 10 is borderline for those long .25 cal. bullets. Most rifles shoot okay but a select few don't. Let this be a warning to those planning on building a hot .25, (.250/3000 on up) get a 1 in 9 twist barrel just to be safe if you're planning on shooting bullets heavier than 100 gr. Yes, a hand loaded .250/3000 is a hot .25 when chambered in a bolt action rifle.
I would tend to agree with your analysis but since my 25.06 is strictly my antelope gun I'm okay with my hot 100 grain TTSX loads. On the bigger picture though: What I really try to tell people that what works in my gun is not necessarily going to work best in your gun or vice versa. Kind of like snowflakes-no 2 guns are the same. Too many variables and what you describe above is just one of them. Although a pretty significant one.
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #35
pharmseller
King Salmon
 
pharmseller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 18,124
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog View Post
I would tend to agree with your analysis but since my 25.06 is strictly my antelope gun I'm okay with my hot 100 grain TTSX loads. On the bigger picture though: What I really try to tell people that what works in my gun is not necessarily going to work best in your gun or vice versa. Kind of like snowflakes-no 2 guns are the same. Too many variables and what you describe above is just one of them. Although a pretty significant one.
Snowflakes?





P
__________________
So, here I am, eating crow, or duck you might say, as promised. Again, congrats, you just won the day.
AnnualCry

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #36
dog
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 362
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
Snowflakes?


Yup.


P
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #37
baltz526
King Salmon
 
baltz526's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: lapine oregon
Posts: 21,135
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

58.5gr RE22 under a 175gr in a 7mm rem mag might get you 2700fps or just a bit more. Your goal should be a powder that gives accuracy and velocity. A 175gr in the 7mm rem mag should be 2900fps + - 50fps. Try RE23-25-26 or IMR7828
__________________
While the weak moan and bluster, The strong defend them with force of arms. Willingly, as the cost of freedom for all.
baltz526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #38
541 Native son
Tuna!
 
541 Native son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 1,310
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltz526 View Post
58.5gr RE22 under a 175gr in a 7mm rem mag might get you 2700fps or just a bit more. Your goal should be a powder that gives accuracy and velocity. A 175gr in the 7mm rem mag should be 2900fps + - 50fps. Try RE23-25-26 or IMR7828
60.0gr. of RE22, CCI 250 primer, 175gr. Hornady ELD-Xs, out of my semi-custom Howa 1500, 24" barrel, 1:9.5 twist = 2855 - 2870 fps and 0.65 MOA. Can't imagine why I would need anything different for big game in Oregon (or most of North America, for that matter). Aim, fire, high-five, gut, pack...
__________________
Despite our ever-changing world, with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood.
541 Native son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #39
Steel4Sam
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltz526 View Post
58.5gr RE22 under a 175gr in a 7mm rem mag might get you 2700fps or just a bit more. Your goal should be a powder that gives accuracy and velocity. A 175gr in the 7mm rem mag should be 2900fps + - 50fps. Try RE23-25-26 or IMR7828
When you say RE are you referring to Reloader 22? Nosler says 58.5 will push my 175 2810 fps I know that is likly different than what we are actually observing. Our 60.5 grain load is proving to be a shooter too!
Steel4Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #40
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,065
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

S4S: No, it doesn't say that. It says the load will produce those results out of their test barrel. Has nothing to do with your rifle.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #41
Steel4Sam
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
S4S: No, it doesn't say that. It says the load will produce those results out of their test barrel. Has nothing to do with your rifle.
Dog,
I know that, I guess I should've written that differently. "Nosler says it pushed their 175 2810..." I know I'm new to this, but I use common sense. Hence my remark above about it likely being different than what I am observing.
Steel4Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #42
pharmseller
King Salmon
 
pharmseller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 18,124
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Might as well be shooting a .30-06.






P
__________________
So, here I am, eating crow, or duck you might say, as promised. Again, congrats, you just won the day.
AnnualCry

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #43
Steel4Sam
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
Might as well be shooting a .30-06.






P
I would have to agree, prior to this process I had no idea how underwhelming the 7 MM mag actually was. ( no I am sure we can squeeze out more performance and what we are seeing). However that being said my dad and I are having a blast learning and holding our skills together, which is what this journey is all about. I appreciate everybody's help it's nice knowing that there is so much knowledge out there!

Last edited by Steel4Sam; 02-19-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Steel4Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #44
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,065
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Agree with Pharm....

Sorry. Sometimes my reading comprehension is kinda poor. Usually happens when I just get up and haven't had the first cup of joe. Or, between ten and two it's kinda weak because I'm either hungry or need a nap. Anything after 4 is questionable because I'm usually fixing dinner between posts or wanna go to bed. The rest of the time I'm as sharp as a tack.....
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #45
Steel4Sam
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 615
Default

No worries, I appreciate your input!
Steel4Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #46
pharmseller
King Salmon
 
pharmseller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 18,124
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Agree with Pharm...


Just wanted to formalize that statement.






P
__________________
So, here I am, eating crow, or duck you might say, as promised. Again, congrats, you just won the day.
AnnualCry

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #47
roosevelt
King Salmon
 
roosevelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: transient
Posts: 18,757
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Sam View Post
I would have to agree, prior to this process I had no idea how underwhelming the 7 MM mag actually was.
I wouldn't go that far, they have slightly better trajectory than a 270 with 20 grains more in bullet weight, with not much more recoil....it's a fine cartridge in it's own right.

they also have good long range potential, if you are into that....the 7mag is no slouch, but it's not a big, powerful cartridge either.

I do think the 06 is better at everything than most, it's the ultimate utilitarian cartridge, but a 7mag is more fun
__________________
Hunt for sport, kill for food
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #48
pharmseller
King Salmon
 
pharmseller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 18,124
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Load that S O B up, high BC bullets moving out can exceed what a .30-06 has to offer.






P
__________________
So, here I am, eating crow, or duck you might say, as promised. Again, congrats, you just won the day.
AnnualCry

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #49
Steel4Sam
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
Load that S O B up, high BC bullets moving out can exceed what a .30-06 has to offer.






P
I like where your head is at!
Steel4Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #50
baltz526
King Salmon
 
baltz526's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: lapine oregon
Posts: 21,135
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Sam View Post
When you say RE are you referring to Reloader 22? Nosler says 58.5 will push my 175 2810 fps I know that is likly different than what we are actually observing. Our 60.5 grain load is proving to be a shooter too!
The lot of re22 I have, will shoot a 175gr around 2700fps at 58.5gr in my 26". 63gr gives 2900fps. Data books print what they get under lab conditions. With a lot of powder available at the time. Very useful data, but is just data. Not written in stone
__________________
While the weak moan and bluster, The strong defend them with force of arms. Willingly, as the cost of freedom for all.
baltz526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #51
pharmseller
King Salmon
 
pharmseller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 18,124
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Sam View Post
I like where your head is at!
I'm working on a 162 ELD-X (high BC) at 3,000 plus MV.

Because, why not?






P
__________________
So, here I am, eating crow, or duck you might say, as promised. Again, congrats, you just won the day.
AnnualCry

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #52
Steel4Sam
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 615
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
I'm working on a 162 ELD-X (high BC) at 3,000 plus MV.

Because, why not?






P
Keep me in the loop!
Thanks
Sam
Steel4Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #53
pharmseller
King Salmon
 
pharmseller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 18,124
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Sam View Post
Keep me in the loop!
Thanks
Sam
Interesting reading


http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...covery-182868/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...esults-182382/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...thread-161172/




P
__________________
So, here I am, eating crow, or duck you might say, as promised. Again, congrats, you just won the day.
AnnualCry

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #54
dog
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 362
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
Interesting reading


http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...covery-182868/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...esults-182382/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...thread-161172/


As I stated in an earlier post in my thread, I personally believe that bullets in the 160-165 grain range are optimum for the 7mmMag. 175 too much loss velocity for gain in weight and 150 grain not enough extra velocity for loss in weight. If you start doing velocity divided by grain = math you will generally find this to be true(has to be real world data though, reloading manuals or velocities listed on the box don't count). Doesn't mean 175s and 150s won't shoot accurate though.

P
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:36 AM   #55
whitey375
Ifish Nate
 
whitey375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,493
Default Re: 7mm Rem mag Lod development help

Possibly too much for a 24" barreled 7 RM, but with the superior BC numbers of the 175+ bullets in a non standard rifle or one with 26"+ barrel, and there isn't a comparison, especially the further you get from the muzzle. Even with a shorter barrel, they'll get a 175gr Partition going 2750+, so it's basically a 30-06 in trajectory, which, as we all know, is fully acceptable to 95% of the sporting public.
whitey375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:03 AM.

Terms of Service
 
Page generated in 1.19315 seconds with 79 queries