Steamer Clams? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Old 12-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
MarlinMark
Ifish Nate

Default Steamer Clams?

I have an unwritten recipe for steamers using garlic, onion, tomatoe, white wine and butter. I was wondering what I might do differently for a change. Any suggestions?

Mark

Old 12-29-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
MattPark
Sturgeon

Default Re: Steamer Clams?

Here's what I do per limit (40 clams). It's easy, and is better than anything I've had in any restaurant.

I take a whole bulb of garlic (a big one), and chop it up, and sautee it in some olive oil. When that's done, I throw a half a stick of butter in, the add some cheap chardonnay, fill the pan to about halfway up the clams. Turn it down so it's just barely boiling, and throw the lid on. They will pop open in a couple of minutes.

I think next time I will do even more garlic. Can't have too much of that stuff I don't think.

Now comes the good part.

Last edited by MattPark; 12-29-2006 at 07:37 PM.
MattPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Ethical hunter
Tuna!

I just boil them until they open and then dip them in butter - YUM!

EH
Ethical hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Joe Schwab

I thought I knew how to fix steamers until we hired a chef in Alaska. He laughed at me for putting them in water and spices. He used a huge fry pan, filled it with steamers, threw in some onions, pickling spice and a cup of cheap red wine and put it on the heat. A stainless salad bowl covered the clams to keep the heat in. They simmer in their own juice until they pop. I have never tasted clams like those.

The only downside was the nectar. It was so strong you could not possibley drink it but it made excellent chowder stock.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

What kind of clams are you guys using for steamers?
I have had Manila's in restaurants and they seem to taste the best to me....in the stores they are hard to find though.
Also I have been told softshell clams make good steamers, but I have yet to try them......the limit is 36 of em so that would sure be more productive.
Fish_N_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
ICHTHYDEMON
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_N_Russ View Post
What kind of clams are you guys using for steamers?
I have had Manila's in restaurants and they seem to taste the best to me....in the stores they are hard to find though.
Also I have been told softshell clams make good steamers, but I have yet to try them......the limit is 36 of em so that would sure be more productive.
I like the Manilla myself. I've had Softshells and Butter Clams and don't like them nearly as much.

To a big pot I add

Celery tops
Garlic
a cup or two of White wine
a shake or two of Johnny's seasoning salt

Steam just until they pop and dig in.
ICHTHYDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
MattPark
Sturgeon

Manilas are by far the best.

I have tried every recipe I've found, and the one I posted is my favorite. Go dig some clams and try some recipes out, you have nothing to lose.

The limit per person in WA is 40 (min size 1.5"), that doesn't take long to get, and you don't need a super low tide. Just about any low tide will do.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

Just had some manilas last nite, they were only about 2" in size, a couple big spoonfulls of minxed garlic with about 1/2 cup of white wine and 1/2 stick butter.....a couple grinds of fresh pepper and dash of sea salt......mmmm.
Fish_N_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
INSAYN
Chromer

I put a pot on my BBQ side burner and saute finely chopped onions and garlic in Tbls lite olive oil. Then add a cup of cream, a can of beer, a cup of clam juice, a small handfull of real bacon bits and salt/pepper to taste. Bring all this to a simmer and to reduce the beer.

While that is happily steaming away, I just put the clams crack side up on the HOT grill and wait till they pop open. Then drop them into the pot until all the other clams have popped. Those that never pop, get tossed.

Let them simmer for a few minutes, and then remove from the heat and enjoy!

Last edited by INSAYN; 04-30-2007 at 09:09 PM.
INSAYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
Crabber1
Fry

Smile Re: Steamer Clams?

All good recipes. I always hang my steamer clams in a mesh bag off the dock for at least 24hrs and let them percolate. I think it makes a huge difference in flavor being in the salt water vs. letting them percolate in a five gallon bucket of ice water. Any other ideas on percolating to enhance flavor while getting the grit out ?
Crabber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:34 PM   #11
INSAYN
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabber1 View Post
All good recipes. I always hang my steamer clams in a mesh bag off the dock for at least 24hrs and let them percolate. I think it makes a huge difference in flavor being in the salt water vs. letting them percolate in a five gallon bucket of ice water. Any other ideas on percolating to enhance flavor while getting the grit out ?

Grit is flavor!

We used to soak them in sea water in a bucket (changing frequently to avoid loss of oxygen). Add corn meal to the water on occasion to help push the sand through. Not sure how effective that actually was, as we still had sand in some. Hence, the grit IS flavor.
INSAYN is offline   Reply With Quote