Crab Snares - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 12-20-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
Capt George
Steelhead

Default Crab Snares

Any info, photos, directions? Never seen or used one, would like to have an option to a bait ring......

Don't want to bother with traps, did enough of that on Cape Cod lobsters. Snares would be more fun and produce (I'm sure) more than enough.

Thanks for the help.

cap'n g

Capt George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:39 AM   #2
TooDrunkToFish
Tuna!

Default Re: Crab Snares

I find that I increase their effectiveness (snaring capability) if I add additional loops all around the trap. The weed-eater-line material (4 loops I think) that come with the original product were too stiff and insufficient in number IMHO. A crab can pick away at the bait w/o getting snared and/or the loops had a hard time gripping and holding the crab.

However, if you add 5-6 additional loops of heavy monofilament (not weed eater line) of about 40-60 lb test to the snare, then you get a nice crab catching contraption. Most of my "hookups" were on the mono loops, rather than the weed eater line, sometimes 2-3 crabs at a time.

Be sure to use a heavy rod and heavy mainline, with a strong reel. Pulling up the snare, crab, seaweed, etc. can get heavy
TooDrunkToFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:15 AM   #3
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

Sorry-- No non sponsor urls

A chicken leg is a perfect fit...

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
Beefcake
Sturgeon

I have seen the snares used, and it looks like they work, but I bought a "Crab Hawk" instead (try crabhawk dot com). I'm guessing you could find a picture of the snares on Danielson's website (maybe google "danielson fishing products"), but I don't have time to look it up.
Beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
Paul12
Steelhead

I second the crab hawk. I used the snares both the rigid plastic wire kind and a style that had a bunch of loops made of heavy mono fishing line. The Crab Haxk works the best.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
luv_2_fish
Chromer

Howdy:

The best price I seen for the crab snares is at BiMart (about $5). There is a round metal cylindrical shape, to put your bait inside, with 4 mono loops attaching to the bait holder. When you pulled the drag and the weight of the crabs will close the loops and hold the crab legs/claws. Other version may have a metal cube with loops. You can also find them on Ebay or GI Joes.

I prefer the crabhawk because the contraption will more likely hold the whole crab(s) rather than their extremities and will less likely "injured" the creatures if they got lose. This trap opens and closes similar to the the butterfly wings.
luv_2_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

I used to go fishing on the jetties, and when I got tired of fishing for fish, or limited out, I'd hunt the rocks for line left behind by careless fishermen, or washed up in the waves.

All you need is a gob of line all looped up. The stronger, the better! Then, tie in your bait, which is anything from the the guts of the salmon you just caught, or a mud cat, or a slice of any bait.

Throw it out there with a heavy weight and wait. The crab will become caught up in the loops of line.

I've come home with a limit of crab and salmon, this way!

Those are some of my favorite memories!

Jen
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #8
luv_2_fish
Chromer

Snare trap

crabhawk is very similar to this
Old 12-20-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
lumberguy
Steelhead

Does anyone know if these crabhawks work very well off of the beach? I have seen commerical clam diggers drop pots into deep holes off of Gearhart at low tide, so I assume that this would be effective. Anyone with any experience doing this?
lumberguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
sturg
Steelhead

If you take old line and make loops and tie it in the middle, then tangle the line you can catch two or three crabs at a time. It works way better than the snares. You just have to tie on a weight and bait in the middle.
sturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #11
luv_2_fish
Chromer

I don't see any reason why you cannot use the crabhawk at the beach. Where people can drop traps/cages you can also use these. You don't even need a fishing rod to set this crabhawk. I saw people just tied a small line and dropped the trap off the bridge/pier and pulled up every 5-10 minutes. The rod will help cast the crabhawk farther out where other boaters may have set their traps. Since it is open, you will have to pull your crabhawk more often to catch the crabs and lose less bait.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:34 PM   #12
MattPark
Sturgeon

The tangled/looped line setup is leaps and bounds more effective than any of the commercially sold traps, in ANY situation.

Not to mention old line is more or less free.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #13
Hooker
Chromer

Like said above, old fishing line wadded up works just fine.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #14
will_e_fish
Chromer

I use a metal O ring then tie a hook or two for holding bait then loop some old line on the O ring. The set up cost the rig might not be over 2 dollars. Then cast out with a heavy line rod and for mor fun tie on another one and space them with a old coat hanger spreader. Sorry I dont have a picture.
will_e_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #15
Capt George
Steelhead

can't thank all of you enough. This site is awesome! On Cape Cod now visiting my Grandkids, be back in Florida next week.

will research all ther info you've been so kind to share.

a very Merry Christmas to all of you and your families! cap'n g
Capt George is offline   Reply With Quote