Oregon Hog Hunting - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 12-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
Fatdad
Chromer

Default Oregon Hog Hunting

I was wondering if anyone here has persude hog hunting in Oregon. I understand that there are pockets of wild hogs over central. Is it worth pursuing? It would be a hoot to bow hunt for wild hogs. I really wanted to go when I was stationed down south but never got the chance. One more reason to stay in the woods. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
Ni!
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Oregon Hog Hunting

I've never hunted them, but I found this document on the web: (it's a .pdf file)

Quote:
In Oregon, feral pig populations have been reported in nine counties (see Appendix A): Coos and Curry Counties (Dement Creek/Sixes River area, Pistol River, and Thomas Creek), Josephine County (Rough and Ready Creek), Jackson County (Sampson, Slide, and Conde Creeks), Klamath County (Swan Lake Ridge, Klamath River), Wasco and Jefferson Counties (Ashwood area), Crook County (Ochoco National Forest), and Wheeler County (Spray/Service Creek/Waterman Triangle area). Two additional populations existed along the coast of Coos County (North Spit) and in Crook County (east of Post on highway 380), but have been eradicated.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
Applegate
Chromer

That was an interesting read. Rough and Ready Creek does not look like it can support a rattlesnake, but I am going to find out about those pigs. In that Sixes and Pistol river country, they could be as elusive as bigfoot.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Fatdad
Chromer

Thanks, I am going to keep looking ifin I find out anything I'll post.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
thehunt
Tuna!

There is a high fence place somewhere in central oregon. Sure you could find with a little looking. I have talked to people who have hunted it and it sounds like anything but a canned hunt. Good luck and shoot straight. **** them off and they come to ya, not away.......
thehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
OSUhuntnfish
Steelhead

The two areas that I have heard mentioned most about feral hogs was the Ashwood/Antelope area, as well as east of Prineville off of highway 26 headed toward Mitchell. If you end up going, make sure to get some pics, I've always been a little interested in one of those hunts.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

My cousin and uncle have hunted them many times over east of Madras and done real well.......of course he's retired osp for that area and probably knows their hangouts better than most too
Fish_N_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
docmichar
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatdad View Post
I was wondering if anyone here has persude hog hunting in Oregon. I understand that there are pockets of wild hogs over central. Is it worth pursuing? It would be a hoot to bow hunt for wild hogs. I really wanted to go when I was stationed down south but never got the chance. One more reason to stay in the woods. Any info would be appreciated.
I would love to team up with anyone wanting to bowhunt hogs. I am also looking for them in Oregon. I would go to California for one, but why, if we have them here? If anyone is interested and we locate a spot where they are known to be, let me know.

Doc

Mike
Sheridan, OR
docmichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
Hawk
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_N_Russ View Post
My cousin and uncle have hunted them many times over east of Madras and done real well.......of course he's retired osp for that area and probably knows their hangouts better than most too
So, were they hunting them out on the Grasslands east of town, farther east over toward Grizzly, or more toward Antelope?
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
Whatchaketchemon
Steelhead

The hogs everyone is talking about in the Ashwood "Central Oregon" area are the offspring of some that escaped from the high fence operation in Ashwood. I am not even sure this ranch is still open as last I heard they were having some disputes with the state. Anyway there was a large number of them living around Ashwood and even out towards the Antelope and Clarno area. I hunted them extensively and have several friends that own large pieces of property in that area and never once seen one. My friends seemed to have slightly better luck and harvested a few. Most if not all of the land where we hunted and in that general area is private though so be careful and make sure you are not trespassing.
Whatchaketchemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:22 PM   #11
Hawk
Ifish Nate

How much gun do you need for hunting these things? 223 or more like elk calibers (06, 7mm, 300, etc.)?

Also, did I read somewhere that they are considered varmints and don't require a tag and have no season?

Last edited by Hawk; 12-25-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #12
Whatchaketchemon
Steelhead

I think that the .223 may be a little light. These are russian boars and have heavy bone and a very tough skin. I would suggest using whatever gun you hunt deer and elk with. Since they are an exotic animal, no tag is needed. They may actually be considered feral but either way you dont need any special tag. Last I heard the state shot a bunch from helicopters so there may be fewer now but I doubt that they could have killed them all.
Whatchaketchemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:41 PM   #13
docmichar
Steelhead

The Regs say they are considered a predatory species, no tag or season. Nugent shoots them with a bow, and sometimes uses a sidearm back up.

Doc

Mike
Sheridan, OR
Old 12-25-2006, 10:26 PM   #14
Just Fish
Ifish Nate

I worked at the old muddy creek ranch were the bagwan was a church group bought it I saw were the ranchers had shot them and had them draped over fence posts.I saw some hogs on the ranch but there is no hunting there that I know of
Just Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:37 PM   #15
Ni!
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Fish View Post
I worked at the old muddy creek ranch were the bagwan was a church group bought it I saw were the ranchers had shot them and had them draped over fence posts.I saw some hogs on the ranch but there is no hunting there that I know of
The ranch was donated to Young Life several years ago by a billionaire from Montana. They do have a limited hunting program for people who donate money. However, I believe the hogs were mostly eliminated by aerial hunting several years ago. I was there in '02 and they said at the time that the hogs had pretty much disappeared.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #16
jnicholson
Ifish Nate

There were some wild hogs on Wallace Island in the early 90's. I tried hard to get one with a long bow but no luck. I even tried bait piles but couldn't get them to regularly visit. With permission from the owners, we even had a traditional club hunt out there. That was great fun and of the 20 or so guys that went ... no one saw one but most found tracks and heard the squeelers at one time or another. If you haven't been on that island it is one thick son of a gun and it has a ton of Eagles Claw (talon?) thorns. It can tear you up. Most of it is so thick or swampy you cant see or get near it. There was also quite a few Columbia Whitetail and some blacktail on the island.

I tracked the hogs, heard them in their fights, was minutes behind steaming poop but never saw one. If only I had trail cameras then. I met plenty of locals who saw them but I never did. There are quite a few stories of guys that shot them off the beach.

There was supposingly one beast that was about 600 lbs and swam over to the Oregon side and took on a horse. Maybe others know of these stories? I heard the owners brought in several wild pigs and kept them out there so that they could serve exotics in a Oregon restaurant. Apparantly the restaurant idea didn't pan out and the hogs were just too tough to get off the island.

I'll bet there's a few waterfowlers that used that island during those times that know about these hogs. A couple of the blinds in the middle of the island looked like the pigs were using them as stables.

I think the flood of 96 pretty much took care of any hogs (and my hopes of getting one) that were left on that Island.

I'll bet they ended up on the Washington shore somewhere.

Anybody else got any stories about Wallace Island?

John
Old 12-29-2006, 06:35 PM   #17
jaysea
Steelhead

Add Linn County to that list of confirmed sitings of wild pigs. Believe it or not, you can even find hogs in the central Cascades. I know a couple of guys who bonked one a few years ago east of Sweet Home. Who knew? They're everywhere.
jaysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:08 PM   #18
Ryan Pultz
King Salmon

I have been over east quite a bit this past year and have yet to run into a herd I would love to find some but I think most hog kills in Oregon are like cougar you just happen to bump into them while out hunting rp
Old 12-29-2006, 11:59 PM   #19
BlacktailBowhunter
Ifish Nate

Hello All,

Check out this link:
http://www.ktvz.com/story.cfm?nav=oregon&storyID=10223

It sums up what you all are talking about. I looked into hunting hogs in Oregon a few years ago and the biologist for ODFW that I spoke with told me that most of the pigs are on private land and finding them on public land is a long shot. I think southern Oregon would be your best hope and even then it is a shot in the dark. Dogs would be helpfull and if you don't want to hunt behind dogs, you could atleast use them to scout with and then on later trips you would atleast have an idea where to find some. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #20
gottafish
King Salmon

Theres a guy I work with that kills a few every year in oregon down by the CA boarder in some itlle canyon on public land. hes kept it a secret for 3 years now and he told me he'll never give up his spot. he hunts them all year. according to hime theres a buch. basturd wont tell me where they are though.
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:39 AM   #21
Chug
Ifish Nate

Gottafish,. Here is what you do!. Find out least week before he heads south to hunt hogs. Go get a GPS unit, Hot wire it to the 12volt system of auto. Turn it on, few day's prior to him leaving.

Let it track his Travels. Once he returns from his Hog hunt, go pick up the Gps unit. DONE. you now have his area...

Sneaky... but would work.

Been looking for hogs to hunt, but so far they are all on private land & or restricted use. darn.

Chug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:07 AM   #22
Coastalfisherman
Ifish Nate

Lets all get together and give it a go over east or down South. With all the resources this group has, it would seem that we could definately find out where they roam, and get permission to hunt on private lands. ODFW may even help us obtain that permission on property where damage complaints are coming from. I would be good with a bow or a rifle hunt.
Coastalfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #23
RogueFishr
Ifish Nate

I would be up for it. I live in Southern Oregon, and am a little over an hours drive from a spot where I have heard lots of rumors of pigs. I could try to check it out in the next few weeks and report back.

RF

Evan Tanner 1971-2008
RogueFishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:44 AM   #24
Just Fish
Ifish Nate

Chug I did exactly what you said with the gps on a local elk hunter here in my area when he got home I got the gps and went on the journey well to make a long story short I ended up at the bunny ranch in nevada
Just Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:52 AM   #25
Beeatease
Tuna!

Just Fish.....did you see any elk though?
Old 12-31-2006, 10:54 AM   #26
surejam
Steelhead

I too have heard about hunting wild or feril pigs in oregon but nobody seems to know ( or want to spill the beans) about where exactly. I would be interesten in going as well though.

Here Piggy Piggy...

Surejam
surejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:32 PM   #27
Coastalfisherman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueFishr View Post
I would be up for it. I live in Southern Oregon, and am a little over an hours drive from a spot where I have heard lots of rumors of pigs. I could try to check it out in the next few weeks and report back.

RF
Let us know what you find. If you want to do this via PM It might be better, or we could have a couple hundred people there. I really want to get a piggy.
Coastalfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:36 PM   #28
fishnxtc
Tuna!

Good luck not saying it cannot be done, but if have never hunted hogs before maybe you should go to California and try it one time before adventuring out here. I have a contact with a guide down there that has to be #1 and is only $500 for two days of hunting or 1 hog. Trust me you will not need the second day. He has access to huge ranches that hold lots of hogs. Our hog trip was over by 2pm with 3 hogs and I am not saying it is that easy it is the fact the guide is that good. Access has a lot to do with it also..,..
fishnxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:43 PM   #29
Wak
Chromer

XTC- Did that price include processing of the meat?
Wak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:30 PM   #30
fishnxtc
Tuna!

$500 include just skinning of the pig. We did the whole trip for around $1000 which included guide, airfare, license, tag, hotel and meat processed at their local butcher that had it flown to PDX a few weeks later. The processor was awesome everthing is vaccumed pack looks like we bought at the store.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:33 PM   #31
fishnxtc
Tuna!

Old 01-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #32
docmichar
Steelhead

I would even be interested in going to California for one. I just wanted to keep my hunting and recreation dollars in Oregon. I am going to look into that guide service if fishnxtc will pass on the info to me, I PM'd him for it. I may be willing to take someone with me. I have a motorcoach and would probably drive there. I will post more after some research.

Doc

Mike
Sheridan, OR
Old 01-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #33
gottafish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chug View Post
Gottafish,. Here is what you do!. Find out least week before he heads south to hunt hogs. Go get a GPS unit, Hot wire it to the 12volt system of auto. Turn it on, few day's prior to him leaving.

Let it track his Travels. Once he returns from his Hog hunt, go pick up the Gps unit. DONE. you now have his area...

Sneaky... but would work.

Been looking for hogs to hunt, but so far they are all on private land & or restricted use. darn.
HEHEHEHEH You got me thinkin
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #34
BlacktailBowhunter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnxtc View Post
Good luck not saying it cannot be done, but if have never hunted hogs before maybe you should go to California and try it one time before adventuring out here. I have a contact with a guide down there that has to be #1 and is only $500 for two days of hunting or 1 hog. Trust me you will not need the second day. He has access to huge ranches that hold lots of hogs. Our hog trip was over by 2pm with 3 hogs and I am not saying it is that easy it is the fact the guide is that good. Access has a lot to do with it also..,..
Here is a link to one that boast the same type of hunting and you can kill a second hog for $250 more. I spoke with Jason on the phone and he sounded like a person that is very confident in his leases. Look at the recent hunts page, it is loaded with photos.

http://www.northpowderoutfitters.net/
Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #35
igotgame
Cutthroat

Hello guys and gals, The name of the ranch in Ashwood is Clover Creek Ranch. Clark Couch owns and runs it. Some of his ferral(russion) hogs got out and as you all know they breed rather quickly. I think he is still in business but why pay when they are running around for free. ODFW does wants them killed off so go over and start knocking on doors at the big ranches. I hunted that ranch with a friend a few years back with bows for the Russion hogs. We each scored a pig(even made it on the cover of "Fishing and Hunting News")they are tough and if you don't kill them they will hunt you back like prey. Hope this helps and happy(safe) hunting to all !
igotgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #36
oregoncritters12
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotgame View Post
Hello guys and gals, The name of the ranch in Ashwood is Clover Creek Ranch. Clark Couch owns and runs it. Some of his ferral(russion) hogs got out and as you all know they breed rather quickly. I think he is still in business but why pay when they are running around for free. ODFW does wants them killed off so go over and start knocking on doors at the big ranches. I hunted that ranch with a friend a few years back with bows for the Russion hogs. We each scored a pig(even made it on the cover of "Fishing and Hunting News")they are tough and if you don't they will hunt you back like prey. Hope this helps and happy(safe) hunting to all !

Are you seriously saying an animal from Clover Creek made the cover of a Fishing Hunting news? I agree, they are tough..As for hunting you like prey, i don't think so..
Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #37
BrianMaguire
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnxtc View Post
$500 include just skinning of the pig. We did the whole trip for around $1000 which included guide, airfare, license, tag, hotel and meat processed at their local butcher that had it flown to PDX a few weeks later. The processor was awesome everthing is vaccumed pack looks like we bought at the store.
Was the meat any good? How many pounds did you get?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #38
beardbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncritters12 View Post
I agree, they are tough..As for hunting you like prey, i don't think so..
Agreed. I have been mere inches from Russian boars and never had one hunt me down like prey. They try to run through you, so you gotta get out of the way before you get hit by a tusk
Old 04-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #39
hunt or-e-gon
Steelhead

this video might help you out, just seems kinda old maybe late 80's or early 90's tho but its ashwood oregon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdOgO8NF_qM
Old 04-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #40
jc240
Cutthroat

My friend and I have been extensively researching hog hunting in Oregon. I can't find it now, but I found an article saying the ranch in Ashwood had been shut down. Some allegations of them intentionally releasing hogs into the wild. There was an ODFW brief showing and increase of feral hogs in the Shasta area of CA that have been coming into Southern Oregon.
jc240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #41
drake7590
Chromer

I personaly know of 23 feral pigs that were shot on timber land east of coburg three years ago. Dont know if they still are up there? But I can give you the name of the ranchers property they might be on now If you want to p.m me
Old 02-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #42
Fireman 451
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake7590 View Post
I personaly know of 23 feral pigs that were shot on timber land east of coburg three years ago. Dont know if they still are up there? But I can give you the name of the ranchers property they might be on now If you want to p.m me

Hi, my name is Mark Stahl. I live by Chehalis, Wa. I am interested in Hog hunting in Oregon. I would greatly appreciate the name of any ranchers you can give, me. I ma researching this extensively and already have a few leads. Thank you Mark Stahl
mtstahl@msn.com
Fireman 451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #43
konaaahbend
Steelhead

Feral pigs are alive and well in C.O. unfortunately. Their numbers are growing and no amount of aerial predation is going to kill them off. It's no longer legal for ranches to sell hunts for them, but landowners are still making a profit by selling "trespass fees" instead. Wild Winds
Ranch was allowing hunting but the hogs got wise and moved on. The ones I know of are still active in the Madras and Prineville areas but very nocturnal and hard to find unless you know a dozen landowners. As for guns, .223 is more than enough. The myth that they are had to take down because of muscle and bone is because their anatomy is different than a deer or bear, their heart and lungs are further forward so to you have to relearn your kill zone. They aren't tough, just ornery !
konaaahbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #44
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

I would have to disagree with with .223 being more than enough...maybe just enough but definitely not more than enough...I've only been pig hunting twice but those things are not easy to kill...their hide is incredibly thick, specially a huge boar.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #45
Butcher45
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifisherkid View Post
I would have to disagree with with .223 being more than enough...maybe just enough but definitely not more than enough...I've only been pig hunting twice but those things are not easy to kill...their hide is incredibly thick, specially a huge boar.
That's why I shot this 'lil meat hog in the brain (with my 270-or-so fpe .45caliber airgun). Not an easy shot to get on a twitchy hog, though.

Click image for .45 airgun slideshow
Butcher45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #46
konaaahbend
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifisherkid View Post
If hog hide was tougher than a .223, they'd be using it for sapi plates. My 3/8 steel spinner would beg to differ on penetration (I spent last weekend welding up holes in it) It amounts to a well placed shot and knowing where their vitals are compared to a deer. My friend shot a cow elk with his .45-70 and she ran a quarter mile before dropping. Her hide wasn't tougher than 400 grains of lead hollowpoint, it was a bad placed shot.
konaaahbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #47
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

I didn't say it was impenetrable but I wouldn't recommend a .223 if you can hunt with a larger caliber. I know it's mainly about shot placement and I think if you hit it in the head with anything larger than a .22 you're likely going to drop it but I have seen them run with plenty of bullets in them...They like to crawl if you take out their legs.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #48
buckslayerjim
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Fish View Post

Did you work with / for Tony Morelli by chance???
buckslayerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #49
Jakiedog
Chromer

Like many critters, shot placement is key. Pigs are tough, but with good shot placement they fold up like cheap suit cases. .223 is plenty if you shoot them level with the eye but just below the ear. Minimal meat damage with a slow expanding pill. Their vitals are low in the body cavity and harder to hit, especially if in brushy terrain.