Decoy Cart Build - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 01-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
Casey3115
Steelhead

Default Decoy Cart Build

I am getting pretty close to finishing a new decoy cart (had it out last weekend for the first time) and wanted to document it here for anyone thinking about building one.

I built a 2 wheel cart with a simple frame built out of 1" sq aluminum tube. I drive a car so this cart had to fold down and be able to quickly and easily be transported on my roof rack. I also wanted it to be a tool less assembly once in the field. The handle assembly hinges with a couple of pins off a short section of tubing added to the back of the cart. The axle is a length of DOM steel tubing that is welded to a couple short straps and through bolted to the cart. I put a couple bronze thrust bearings on either side of the wheels and finished it off with a removable pin.

So I just pop off the wheels, fold the handle down flat and throw the whole thing up on the roof.
Attached Images

Casey3115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
Casey3115
Steelhead

Default Re: Decoy Cart Build

I used 1/16" alum sheet to create the deck of the cart. In hind sight it wasn't the best choice for a 2 wheel cart because it is very slippery when the cart is getting loaded and the nose of the cart is on the ground. I added a bunch of D-rings for bungee cords which works great even when the cart is parked and the nose is on the ground. So really the slippery deck surface is really only an issue while loading. I got a couple LED lights for the front of the cart that are SUPER bright. They are a 60 degree flood pattern which really lights up the trail. The lights are also great for lighting up the pond while setting decoys.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
Popeye2
Steelhead

Love the lights.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
Casey3115
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye2 View Post
Love the lights.
Thanks! I power them with a makita drill battery and they are BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
spare link
Tuna!

How is the balance? When I used a cart in similar style, if it wasn't loaded properly is was actually harder to push. In my opinion, the more you have to focus on balancing it while pushing the harder the trek.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #6
h2ofowlr
Steelhead

Once you load it, you may be adding another wheel to the front of it or two more to the sides. You will find your setup my pull easier than it pushes. Only speaking from personal past experiences.

I would check out RJP Decoy Buggies on FB for some additional inspiration as they make some slick buggys. With your welding talent you may come up with something pretty slick.

Last edited by h2ofowlr; 01-10-2017 at 10:31 PM.
h2ofowlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:26 AM   #7
crazyhats5
Tuna!

Casey it looks great! And I can a test those lights are bright!
crazyhats5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:34 AM   #8
JacobOutdoors
Chromer

Very nice. The lights and D rings were great ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JacobOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:33 AM   #9
Casey3115
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by spare link View Post
How is the balance? When I used a cart in similar style, if it wasn't loaded properly is was actually harder to push. In my opinion, the more you have to focus on balancing it while pushing the harder the trek.
It balances really well considering the axle placement was just an educated guess. I had it out in the field last weekend and my cart ended up with 3 dozen decoys, 2 guns, a couple jackets, a blind bag and a folding chair. It is balanced best when the front of the cart is pointing up a few degrees. I think the axle could be put forward just a few inches and it would balance like a dream even with a really large load. Only problem that creates is when parked the angle of the deck will be even steeper than it is now.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #10
Casey3115
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofowlr View Post
Once you load it, you may be adding another wheel to the front of it or two more to the sides. You will find your setup my pull easier than it pushes. Only speaking from personal past experiences.

I would check out RJP Decoy Buggies on FB for some additional inspiration as they make some slick buggys. With your welding talent you may come up with something pretty slick.
I had it loaded pretty good this weekend and it pushed really well... only thing is when pushing I end up with the deck pointing up in the air quite a ways but other than the lights that isn't really a problem. Only thing I don't like now is loading and uploading the cart when the nose is on the ground due to the slope. I am a tinkerer and have been going crazy with re-design ideas. I think moving the axle forward a few inches and building a skid or folding kickstand of sorts would be slick. I can not for the life of me come up with a good way to mount a smaller 3rd wheel in the front that won't be a problem when putting it on my roof.

Those decoy buggies are nice.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #11
blackdog
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey3115 View Post
Only problem that creates is when parked the angle of the deck will be even steeper than it is now.
Mock up some sort of fold away kick-stand so when you stop, it can sit up straight.

Great looking home build!
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #12
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

A: Nice shop
B: Nice cart

Paint the deck with bedliner, that will fix the too slick problem.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #13
Casey3115
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
Mock up some sort of fold away kick-stand so when you stop, it can sit up straight.

Great looking home build!
That is exactly what I am trying to come up with.. It would be great if I could come up with a way to put the kickstand down from the rear.. like a long lever, or cable system. dunno yet. I am open to ideas!!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #14
Casey3115
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in Idaho View Post
A: Nice shop
B: Nice cart

Paint the deck with bedliner, that will fix the too slick problem.
A. I work for a custom manufacturer that is very capable who lets their employees work on personal projects on the weekend which is great. I also work with a lot of great, helpful, talented people. The guy in the pictures doing the welding is a friend from work (I can barely weld, and can not TIG weld at all). He did all the welding for a couple fillets of salmon and halibut!!!

B. Thanks. It is a work in progress, definite prototype. I hope to get this all dialed in and then build another.

I was planning on taking it to work and powder coating it as soon as I get all the little details worked out but I love the bed liner idea. I think the next version of this cart will have flattened expanded alum for the deck material...
Old 01-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #15
spey4steel
Steelhead

Sharp looking cart!

Removable front wheel? Maybe a caster type with a cotter pin. Would just need a small mount that should be easy to design to not interfere with roof loading.
spey4steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #16
llama77
Tuna!

Halibut and salmon is the going rate for tig welding.Good to know.

Nice job. Any chance you can tell me what fig welder he is using. Looking at getting one.

Golden Retrievers. Performance packaged beautifully.
llama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #17
llama77
Tuna!

How much were lights? what model are they?
thanks

Old 01-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #18
Casey3115
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama77 View Post
Halibut and salmon is the going rate for tig welding.Good to know.

Nice job. Any chance you can tell me what fig welder he is using. Looking at getting one.
Syncrowave 350 I think. And a water cooler.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #19
Casey3115
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama77 View Post
How much were lights? what model are they?
thanks
Found the lights on ebay. Cheap... Less than $20 for the pair.
4" CREE LED light bar is what I searched for.
They are 18W (6, 3w cree LED's in each light) Really nice solid feeling aluminum housing.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #20
llama77
Tuna!

Copy and thanks!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #21
Hockinson man
Chromer

Outstanding, quality and built in USA. Won't find a China anywhere on that cart. Built to last Now I'm thinking about your light idea on mine.
Hockinson man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #22
Casey3115
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockinson man View Post
Outstanding, quality and built in USA. Won't find a China anywhere on that cart. Built to last Now I'm thinking about your light idea on mine.

So I was testing the lights out in the garage and I used an 18v makita drill battery and it worked great. I left it plugged in for a few hours as a test and it never started to dim so I decided that was going to be my light power source for real. I ordered the wire terminal piece that is in the base of a makita drill from a parts warehouse and then 3d printed a housing for it that I can mount on the bottom side of the cart. works like a charm!! Snaps and locks into place in a really nice satisfying way.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #23
Mallard Duck
Steelhead

Puts DeLorean to shame.

Those spokes are just screaming for tire/wheel guards. Not only to save your spokes but also to save stuff on the cart from flapping into the spokes.

Balance is key and that puppy LOOKS a little front heavy. Course, that can be remedied by extending the handle.

We met a guy at Umatilla who had an aluminum cart that dissembled down to practically nothing. He dissembled it at his truck and we asked (jokingly) if he got that thing at IKEA, as it could have fit into a bread box.

There had to be at least 12 clevis type pins with ball stops that held it together. Said some guy in Salem made it. That thing was awesome.
Mallard Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #24
Casey3115
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard Duck View Post
Puts DeLorean to shame.

Those spokes are just screaming for tire/wheel guards. Not only to save your spokes but also to save stuff on the cart from flapping into the spokes.

Balance is key and that puppy LOOKS a little front heavy. Course, that can be remedied by extending the handle.

We met a guy at Umatilla who had an aluminum cart that dissembled down to practically nothing. He dissembled it at his truck and we asked (jokingly) if he got that thing at IKEA, as it could have fit into a bread box.

There had to be at least 12 clevis type pins with ball stops that held it together. Said some guy in Salem made it. That thing was awesome.
It is slightly front heavy. If you push down on the handle enough... Basically make the cart ride like a "V" to some extent it rides really good. I've been messing with the axle and think it is going to move about 6" forward. Need to work on the kick stand that I can operate from the rear of the cart and then I think I will be done tinkering for a while.

You've really got me thinking now about how I can make it fold down further. This packs flat which is nice. Hangs on the wall in the off season and only takes up 2”.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #25
Mallard Duck
Steelhead

Quote:
It is slightly front heavy. If you push down on the handle enough... Basically make the cart ride like a "V" to some extent it rides really good. I've been messing with the axle and think it is going to move about 6" forward. Need to work on the kick stand that I can operate from the rear of the cart and then I think I will be done tinkering for a while.

You've really got me thinking now about how I can make it fold down further. This packs flat which is nice. Hangs on the wall in the off season and only takes up 2”.
2" is really good. You're done.

The other thing to consider is how you gonna hide that shiny monster? Camo tape is great for the rails. Maybe some kind of camo cover might be in order for the solid pieces.

With that DeLorean finish, if the sun hit that thing just right, it could be seen from Jupiter.

BTW, NICE SHOP!
Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #26
Casey3115
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard Duck View Post
2" is really good. You're done.

The other thing to consider is how you gonna hide that shiny monster? Camo tape is great for the rails. Maybe some kind of camo cover might be in order for the solid pieces.

With that DeLorean finish, if the sun hit that thing just right, it could be seen from Jupiter.

BTW, NICE SHOP!
As soon as I finish tinkering I am going to powder coat it some shade of green.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #27
Mallard Duck
Steelhead

Thumbs up Re: Decoy Cart Build

Quote:
As soon as I finish tinkering I am going to powder coat it some shade of green.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Custom!