Retirement - now what? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 01-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #1
OneRaggedHole
Steelhead

Default Retirement - now what?

At the end of this month I'll be retiring. I haven't yet figured out what, if anything, I want to do next, only that I am done with what I've done for the past 25 plus years. At 51 I'm still relatively young and will likely find a second career or volunteer or who knows? A supplemental income would be nice but not an absolute necessity. Right now I think I'll give myself six months to a year to see how retirement treats me but something tells me I'm going to get restless.

I'm wondering what kinds of things my fellow ifishers have gone on to do after retirement. Part time jobs? Self employment? Education? Volunteerism? Leisure? Lets hear it.

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
JD77
Tuna!

Default Re: Retirement - now what?

Don't do what my mom did after she retired which was basically spin her wheels at home and wonder why she stopped working. My suggestion would be take a couple trips at the "perfect" time of year and then find some work with young g people to keep you young. When I was 25 years old I coached freshman and JV high school sports and it was one of the best things I ever did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRaggedHole View Post
At the end of this month I'll be retiring. I haven't yet figured out what, if anything, I want to do next, only that I am done with what I've done for the past 25 plus years. At 51 I'm still relatively young and will likely find a second career or volunteer or who knows? A supplemental income would be nice but not an absolute necessity. Right now I think I'll give myself six months to a year to see how retirement treats me but something tells me I'm going to get restless.

I'm wondering what kinds of things my fellow ifishers have gone on to do after retirement. Part time jobs? Self employment? Education? Volunteerism? Leisure? Lets hear it.
JD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #3
The Pew
Ifish Nate

My Grandmother used to travel around to YMCA camps and work for a season. They were located near things like the Grand Canyon and Winter Park Colorado.

They had the option of working for room and board or room and board plus some wages. Obviously you did more for wages. She met some life long friends, lived places she wouldn't have otherwise and got to do the local recreation things for free or greatly reduced.

If you've ever thought of hosting campsites, don't overlook fish hatcheries through ODFW. I've heard that is better than campgrounds with lots of campers.

Our joke at work is everyone who retires has fun their first summer, then their first winter they become a recluse and start studying their ancestry after that they either seem to figure out retirement or go down hill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Pew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
Artwo
King Salmon

My vision of retirement is to do what I want to do, not what I have to do.......

Don't get me wrong, I love my job, been at it at the same company for almost 30 years. But when that time comes for me I plan to give back where ever I can......

Congrats on your retirement. Have fun, you earned it....
Artwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #5
fishy2k
Tuna!

[QUOTE=OneRaggedHole;13558113]At the end of this month I'll be retiring. I haven't yet figured out what, if anything, I want to do next, only that I am done with what I've done for the past 25 plus years. At 51 I'm still relatively young and will likely find a second career or volunteer or who knows? A supplemental income would be nice but not an absolute necessity. Right now I think I'll give myself six months to a year to see how retirement treats me but something tells me I'm going to get restless.

I'm wondering what kinds of things my fellow ifishers have gone on to do after retirement. Part time jobs? Self employment? Education? Volunteerism? Leisure? Lets hear it.[/QUOTE

Welcome to the club in a few weeks!!! I retired almost one year ago, Jan. 28, and I haven't looked back. Wife is still working so I have a lot of time to myself, except in the summer when she is off work. It is important to keep busy. I sure am, and wonder how I ever got anything done around the house when I was working. I am a bit older that you at 64, so no interest in outside work. Do something you enjoy in your time off. Go fishing!! Good luck and congrats!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
Abalone
King Salmon

Retirement = " Every days a hiliday " No brainer.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #7
Derek Sutton
Fry

Congrats! I'm a ways away but have been witnessing my parents' retirements. Both of them worked in an office their entire careers. Lack of interaction with others and activities that require mental type effort seem to be the big ones. My dad got involved with a great golf league, holding a number of positions on board. Loves it, only a few hours a week but gets to do a number of things that makes him think. My mom took a hobby and started a small business selling some of the products. Not for the money but gives her a reason to do more and get out to work with the couple of retailers. They say you can only do so much vacationing, yard work/ gardening, house stuff, fishing, golfing, etc.

I think at 51 you're going to want "something" todo depending on what you're retiring from and what your hobbies are. And being 51 I'm guessing you won't have many other retired guys your age.

Good luck! What a great position to be in!
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
Hydrophilic
Chromer

I'm 30 but I've always hoped to be forced into early retirement. I would spend my days fishing for steelhead in the winter, hunting morels in the spring, fly fishing and gold prospecting in the summer, and deer/elk hunting in the fall

My dads thinking about it and I know he plans on staying busy on a family property in Michigan during the summers...logging, building, etc. Sorry if I'm not of much help but I got excited for you when I read your thread. Hope your golden years are a blast
Hydrophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #9
jagare
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRaggedHole View Post

You might start with cougar camp, Feb 10 - 20. It's a good way to meet other ifish people, and have a good time! I retired three years ago at 63. The first week was deer season then elk season! That really showed me how easy it was to stay busy! What ever you do don't hang near the refrigerator and the television! Good luck and stay busy! Travel is good but I got bored with going all the time, my wife also got tired of travel!
jagare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #10
Ragde
Steelhead

After a 40 year career, retirement came 13 months ago. Besides having plenty of time for fishing and hunting, my wife and I helped start a summer camp for kids of incarcerated people. Had 80 kids our first camp in August '16...shooting for 150 kids summer of 2017. Take time for yourself, but also realize how good it feels to do good things for others! Congrats!
Ragde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:36 AM   #11
Finn-icky
Chromer

First of all congratulations. Not many can be in a position to retire at your age. I retired 3+ years ago and it took me well over a year to get used to the change so my suggestion is don't think 6 months to one year will tell the entire story. For you it may but???
I find myself spending more time helping others than anything. Also have plenty of time to fish and hunt when the opportunities arise. Not knowing you is difficult to make suggestions that are meaningful so frankly you will need to decide what rings your bell the most. Getting a part time job isn't bad if you want to be anchored down and not be able to blast off at a moments notice. I was going to a local gym when the owner asked if I could help him out by working 3 hours a day, 2 days a week. Doesn't sound like much but as soon as springer season arrived those 2 days a week got in the way. I did meet several new friends during that time so there was value added.
I've also been able to take care of projects at home that had been on hold far to long. Now that I have them caught up I have a new idea on a product that may be of some value so will be spending time on that. Currently we are in Mexico visiting friends. Yep, spur of the moment opening so we bought the tickets and came down. As was mentioned earlier having the freedom to do what you want at any time is hard to beat.
Finn-icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:46 AM   #12
sadiesassy
King Salmon

Many people fail at retiring.
Try travel - When you are not in peak seasons
Volunteer
Take up a new hobby
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:47 AM   #13
Timber Tech
Ifish Nate

Two words: commercial fishing
Get your own boat and fish on your terms and get a few extra bucks...that's my plan anyway.
Congrats BTW!
Timber Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:57 AM   #14
jvp
King Salmon

boredom kills.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:06 AM   #15
pirk fan
Tuna!

1. Have all the toys...boats, shop, tools, gardening equipment...whatever your passion is, get the stuff to do it before retirement puts you on a fixed income.

2. Stay active. Have a regimen of physical activity you can stick with on a consistent basis. For me, that's walking, 5 miles every other day. No cheating on this, wherever you are, and whatever you're doing, the physical activity gets included.

3. Buy a retirement dog. Unless you are in a circumstance where dogs just aren't an option, that dog is your conscience, it will remind you to do #2 and both you and it will be healthier for it. You've always got a willing buddy to do whatever you want to do.

4. Public library is your friend. I've read more books since I retired 8 years ago than I did in the previous forty. Despite the physical inactivity involved in reading, the mental activity counts too.

5. Challenge yourself. Those things that you left to others because you had no time or knowledge are now doable by you. Tear down a carburetor, fell a tree, take up reloading, make your own fishing rod, fix the clothes dryer. Yeah, there's a YouTube video for that.

6. Take up a cause you're passionate about and educate yourself about it. Then do something to change the world.
pirk fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #16
PaPa Jon
King Salmon

My definition
Retirement:
Work more, get payed less and your boss never goes home.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #17
OneRaggedHole
Steelhead

Lots of great thoughts here. Thanks all for the posts. Many of you are articulating what I have been thinking. Being physically active is definitely on my list of things to do in retirement, right now...not so much. I'm really hoping that once I've had some time to decompress I'll find new passion for something. Whatever I end up doing I think it needs to be something I can do on my schedule.

I have some money in a college savings plan that isn't going to be spent on my now adult children. I'm thinking I might use that to learn a skill or a trade I can market. Gunsmithing comes to mind but I'd love to hear other suggestions.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #18
loper
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Tech View Post
Get your own boat and fish on your terms and get a few extra bucks...
Also a possibility as a member of the Columbia River Northern Pikeminnow Extermination Squad
Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #19
baguba
Steelhead

Major jealous - ability to retire at 51 is awesome
baguba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #20
Diamondlake Charlie
Tuna!

I will tell you the same thing my dad told me, make your memories now because at some time that may be all you have.
Now on the brighter side, that is what my dad did. He was forced into retirement at or around his early 60's. He healed up and built a business driving repo's and he usually figured out a way to take mom with him. So he got a vacation trip with mom and got paid to do it. We, us kids, finally shut him down in his very late 70's early 80's after he spent a week in the hospital in Texas. The point is he stayed active and he did what wanted and enjoyed life.
I was forced into retirement at age 54 and I had plans on working till I was 70. I have healed and one of the things I have done was start, fund and run Diamond n Vets for 3 years and now I am moving onto something else. My wife finally retired 2 years ago and we are making our memories. You might think it is easy doing a one day fishing event for vets, but I was my staff and it consumed 6 to 8 months of the year for me, but I enjoyed it. After I healed I stayed as active as I could. I was often limited, I may have slowed down but I never stopped. One thing I really learned is if you hit a brick wall don't try to break it down, instead figure out a way to go over it around it or under it but do not stop. Your first few months may be filled with confusion because you have all the time but don't know what to do so I will offer you this. Don't worry about the big picture but do try to figure out what you are going to do for tomorrow. I had a friend when I went to college and he was like me, in is early 40's and in college. He had three children and his wife had Leukemia and he was a 4.0 student. I was having problems trying to get to a 3.0 so I asked him how he did it. His answer was "he did it one week at a time, one day at a time and sometimes one hour at a time". I adopted his philosophy and went from a 2.9 to a 3.26 and enjoyed college. I went to SOC, now SOSC, for two years and my wife was in Glide. I stayed down there all week and came home on weekends and I left my books at school. I learned to enjoy college and I learned to learn and I learned to "enjoy" what ever it was I was doing. My wife had a full time job and our son was on his own so she was alone during the week, her only comment I remember was it was like being in the Navy again. We are new to the camping scene, however this spring after the snows melt we are heading to the Lake View area and are going up for a few days dry camping and look for some Oregon Sun Stones, why because we have the time and we can. It will be our 49th anniversary.
Diamondlake Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #21
uhmw
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by baguba View Post
Major jealous - ability to retire at 51 is awesome
Ya I could think of several million things to do and buy. At 51 I cant retire because I have a out of control business that I cant stop feeding. After 25 years I dont know when the suffering will end I did however start on my bucket list when I hit 40. So far doing that has been the funnest part of growing old and being debt free. I hate my work but love my life. Its a messy love triangle for sure. Be happy and go way out side of your box. You wont regret that.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #22
Chass
Sturgeon

My dad enrolled in the Peace Corps. He said it was one of the best decisions he ever made. It was very eye opening for him. He now travels whenever possible and he gardens a lot. Those are both things that I will do when I retire. Lots of woodworking, metal work, mechanics etc. I can't imagine getting bored!

Chass
ct
Old 01-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #23
kigercreek
Tuna!

I retired at 51 this past June. It was a wonderful start: antelope tag, archery elk hunt, rifle deer hunt, first grandchild born...all one after the other!

I've had the opportunity over the past decade or so to go bonefishing in the Bahamas twice on DIY family vacations, and hope to do that again. As with many trips, the planning is so much of the fun. If you think you'd like to travel, whenever, start doing the research and planning now. It's nice to know a lot about an area before getting there.

Fortunately, we were able to purchase another house in Brookings a year or so ago, so can fish the ocean or rivers there whenever. (Wondering why I'm here in E. Oregon at the moment buried in snow when it's warmer and steelies are running over there!) But had we not done that, I think I would have spent a week camping out as weather allowed, or found inexpensive lodging, along several rivers during steelhead season.

Enjoy your hobbies, just don't make them too much of a job. Some will understand what I mean. I actually went the direction of making a hobby a part time "job" a number of years ago, as I run a fly shop out of the house. However, it's my hours, and most know to call ahead to make sure I'm in the area.

One day at a time, but have a plan...have something to look forward to. Be active/stay in shape. Relax, yet enjoy going 110% when YOU want.

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun"

Last edited by kigercreek; 01-11-2017 at 01:47 PM.
kigercreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #24
RiverJohn
King Salmon

Don't retire?

If you have voids in activity maybe just go part-time? Work for meal on wheels etc.. 51 is young to retire if you don't have anything to do. Go part-time until say 60.

Personally I would spend far more time on the river, tinkering on my boat and trying new places out.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #25
TheRogue
King Salmon

When I retire, I refuse to:

Shop or fish on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.
Drive anywhere in a major metro area from 7-9am and 3-5pm

A feral horse is a free-roaming horse of domesticated ancestry. As such, a feral horse is not a wild animal in the sense of an animal without domesticated ancestors.
TheRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #26
tollgate tim
Chromer

I retired at 55. Definitely took several months to get used to it. The toughest time is during winter when the weather makes it tough to get out. I had thought about working part time but now nearing 60 I am not really interested in that. I try to get outdoors as much as possible as well as spend time with grand kids. It definitely takes a change in your frame of mind. I have some mountain property that helps keep me occupied. And keeping my boat on the water is also a priority. Good luck.
tollgate tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #27
BTA
Ifish Nate

Congrats on retiring at 51! One thing you can put on your list is to sit down and tell us how you were able to accomplish that... Maybe some of the younger members here can use that info to their advantage.
BTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #28
Chromer

Congratulations on retiring at 51. If I retired at now 56 I would go nuts, but I own my own business and I really enjoy what I do so every day is a vacation day. My best advise would be to find something you can get excited about doing whether that is a hobby, a charity you can help, or a business you can start. Just make sure whatever you get involved in has a flexible schedule so you can go play whenever you want to. Helping out somewhere and the fish are running? Take a day or two and spend them on the river. Then when you get tired of killing fish come back to your hobby or whatever and it still is fun.
5420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #29
task
Steelhead

I'd like to reinforce one piece of advice that has already been mentioned more than once and that is to exercise regularly. My wife and I walk the hills in our neighborhood daily (well, almost). Our route is a 3+ miles and takes us an hour plus. It's hard to find an excuse because all we have to do is walk out the front door. It also gives us a block of time to just B.S. while we walk. Nothing too serious.

When I retired, many of my friends were still working. The same was true for my wife. I/we had to make a concerted effort to nurture new friendships. The payoff has been rewarding. My wife has new friends she hikes and bikes with and I've been able to spend many enjoyable hours with both old and new friends pursuing my favorite activities, with fishing being at the top.

By the way, it took several years, but I've learned to sleep in past 7 and not feel guilty about it!

Enjoy!
task is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #30
Rocklock
Chromer

When I retired my wife was still working so I picked up more of the household stuff to help her out while still being able to ramp up my recreational activities.

When she retired we finally bought that RV we had been talking about and started traveling. Half the fun is the deciding and planning the trip. Sometimes we just pick up and go to the beach. Hunting trips still figure in (gotta keep the bird dog happy) but the pressure is off and I can go when I want and the weather cooperates.

Best thing I ever did was take my watch off and throw it in a drawer.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #31
JWKeller
Steelhead

I retired at 55, seven years ago. I do a lot of volunteering to stay busy: Scouts, church, gun club. Keeps me active and motivated. And I have plenty of people to interact with. Oh yeah, and I spend too much time reading a certain web site.
JWKeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #32
Williewobbler
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirk fan View Post
1. Have all the toys...boats, shop, tools, gardening equipment...whatever your passion is, get the stuff to do it before retirement puts you on a fixed income.

2. Stay active. Have a regimen of physical activity you can stick with on a consistent basis. For me, that's walking, 5 miles every other day. No cheating on this, wherever you are, and whatever you're doing, the physical activity gets included.

3. Buy a retirement dog. Unless you are in a circumstance where dogs just aren't an option, that dog is your conscience, it will remind you to do #2 and both you and it will be healthier for it. You've always got a willing buddy to do whatever you want to do.

4. Public library is your friend. I've read more books since I retired 8 years ago than I did in the previous forty. Despite the physical inactivity involved in reading, the mental activity counts too.

5. Challenge yourself. Those things that you left to others because you had no time or knowledge are now doable by you. Tear down a carburetor, fell a tree, take up reloading, make your own fishing rod, fix the clothes dryer. Yeah, there's a YouTube video for that.

6. Take up a cause you're passionate about and educate yourself about it. Then do something to change the world.
My thoughts exactly. 2 year countdown!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Williewobbler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #33
Queets30#
Tuna!

Congratulations on your retirement!!
Old 01-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #34
fishthecreek
Coho

I retired the first time in 2008, then another guy I knew asked me to come back to work so, i worked for him for 2 years. Will I found out I was old man in a young mans trade. So I retired again. I am now 66 and I hunt, fish, garden, and cook, when my body will cooperate. I don't have much money for toys any more but, I am enjoying my self. I recently helped teach a fishing class with some kids it was great fun they have lots of questions.
fishthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #35
CamoHunter
Chromer

I retired at 55 on April 1st 2015. I was very active when I first retired but it is more difficult for me during the rainy/winter season. My wife retired about 6 months after I did. We watch our 16 month old grandson 4 days a week right now too so that is keeping us close to home right now.
I have been able to reload more and have picked up woodworking as a hobby so that helps pass the time.

Camo
CamoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #36
Cookieman
Tuna!

Well been retired for 3 years and do the get up at 8am, no fighting traffic anymore! Got things figured out pretty good, lots of fishing, hunting and walk about 1 mile every day with my given to me dog. Bad knees only lets me walk that much, some days I've got to really push myself! But I know if your not active you will die. Finding fishing buddies is tough, as most of my friends still work. Wife toasted her car so I'm the chauffeur. What ever you do have fun!

I don't always tell people where I fish, but when I do, its a lie!
Cookieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #37
Lone Rock
Cutthroat

I retired 10 years ago at 55 and love everyday. One thing to remember is that you don't have to do everything today, most of the time it can wait until tomorrow. I'm busy all the time volunteering, gardening, cutting firewood, archery elk hunting, rifle deer, spring chinook, fall chinook bays, fall chinook in the rivers, annual fishing trip to Alaska, etc. plus a couple of trips a year with the wife. All I can say is retirement is good!
Lone Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:32 AM   #38
PaPa Jon
King Salmon

Best thing about retirement: NO work traffic
Old 01-12-2017, 08:19 AM   #39
ccw
King Salmon

One of the best of first world problems for sure.

CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #40
Joe Schwab

I "retired" at 53 , then proceeded to try every thing I ever dreamed of doing. I guided successfully in Alaska, opened a fishing lodge B&B on little down, ran it for 6 years, sold it and came back to Oregon, worked full time part time jobs just because I could. There was no worry of job security because I knew I could walk anytime I wanted. But I always gave it the best I had until I was 68 and health required I stop. At 75 I would love to return to work but I know I cannot. I am going to look into speaking on men's Cancer issues as a survivor. In addition I've written and published 3 books. Just for me.