Winchester warranty, not a good thing! - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Default Winchester warranty, not a good thing!

I have been dealing with Winchester on this for about a month now. I am not bashing Winchester or anything, I just believe I got told some wrong or mis-leading info. Here is my signature: I Brandon Tanner certify that everything I am about to say is true and not a false accusation.

Here's the story.

- about a month ago, early December, I was out in the duck blind hunting and just enjoying a nice sunny day in December when a nice drake Blue bill comes zipping by. I get excited, draw my gun, take the safety off, pull the trigger, and nothing happens. So, I was like, what just happened. I pull the gun down to my hip, the barrel still facing out away from me and my friend and the gun goes off, flies out of my hand and lands in the water behind me. Scary. So, I thought what the heck? Maybe the shell was partially wet and that it didn't ignite right away? Who knows. So, I continue to hunt. Happens 2 or 3 more times that day. The trigger just wouldn't work. I knew that it could go off so I kept it pointed in a safe direction and ejected the shell and reloaded a new one and it sometimes went off and sometimes didn't. Here is a video of a at home demonstration.

Now the next day, I called into Winchester and asked if they had any idea of what it could be and asked if I could just buy a new firing mechanism because that's what I thought it was. The guy on the phone said "why not just send it in?" I said "I don't want to pay a company money to fix it if I can fix it myself. He said " well it's under a 5 year parts and labor repair warranty so whatever it is it will be covered" I (not knowing about that warranty) said "wow that's awesome!! Here's what I'll do, I will go buy this same exact shotgun again and ship this gun to you because it's the middle of duck season right now and I can't afford to not have a shotgun to hunt with." He said, "well that's an expensive way of doing it but ya go buy another one and send yours in" so I did.

A month later, I receive a letter with an estimate in the mail explaining that the gun is in need of a new trigger/firing mechanism. (I already assumed that) and that they want to charge me $259.07 to do the repairs. So I think to myself "that's odd" and I give them a call. Instantly I get a guy that says I have treated my gun horribly and don't maintain it and that it's all my fault and not a faulty product from them. He continues to go into detail about it repeatedly saying that he's gonna be upfront and blunt about it. He says there's rust in there and that they would need to replace the unit. So, I told him that I don't want to be spending another $260 on the gun and I just want the gun back and I'll just buy the firing mechanism. ($100) He says " well the mechanism is a controlled part and I could not buy it" so I said well I don't understand how I'm in this situation. I call and ask to get help and order the mechanism or what not and the guy tells me it will be covered under warranty and now you guys are telling me I owe you. And to top it off I went out and bought the same exact shotgun again.......... I'm really bummed about this and would caution anyone thinking about buying a Winchester firearm to really dig deep and think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ducky12555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
jimh
King Salmon

Default Re: Winchester warranty, not a good thing!

That stinks, but not surprising that guns duck hunting occasionally fail or rust. Maybe you should post your video on youtube.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
That stinks, but not surprising that guns duck hunting occasionally fail or rust. Maybe you should post your video on youtube.

It does suck. It isn't really rusty inside the mechanism though. I took it apart and cleaned it several times. Only rust I see is in the pump area

Old 01-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
D4D
Chromer

I'd call a gunsmith, see if a mechanism can be ordered, you never know
D4D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Typically, from what I've been told by a gunsmith. There is no regulation against shipping parts that do not have a serial number. This info is from some time ago so may have changed?

Still sucks...

I'm with you though. Send me the part, fix it myself.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Typically, from what I've been told by a gunsmith. There is no regulation against shipping parts that do not have a serial number. This info is from some time ago so may have changed?

Still sucks...

I'm with you though. Send me the part, fix it myself.

Ya. That's all I wanted in the first place. And they won't even ship the gun back to me with out me forking over $30

Old 01-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
FishOn81
Steelhead

That's sucks ducky! I was seriously thinking about getting an SX3 before next duck season. Might have to stick with my stoeger 3500 and keep saving for something else. Hope you get it taken care of
FishOn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

Don't know if this applies, but:

http://www.al.com/outdoors/index.ssf...un_recall.html

Tell 'em to replace or repair under warrenty, or you will file a BBB complaint. Sell both and buy a gun that starts with a "B".

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in Idaho View Post
Don't know if this applies, but:

http://www.al.com/outdoors/index.ssf...un_recall.html

Tell 'em to replace or repair under warrenty, or you will file a BBB complaint. Sell both and buy a gun that starts with a "B".

That recall did apply to my gun. But, this is not the same problem as the recall. I did have the recall done.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

Well, it's not working as designed. Sometimes a squeaky wheel gets greese. Send them a demand in writing, and request all correspondence in writing. If they contine to give you flack, and it is flack, pay the $30 to get your gun back, then upload your video to U-tube and post it to as many shotgun websites that you can find, and let them know you are doing it. Since it's already been back for a recall, I would demand replacement if you have taken reasonable care of the gun. Pump guns are supposed to be dead nuts reliable, the only one I've ever managed to break was when I was stuffing sand covered shells into a Win 120 Ranger, and I broke something in the trigger group. My fault, and I found the parts at a local gunshop and fixed it myself. That gun was stolen when my house was robbed in Albuquerque, and I replaced it with a early Remington 870 Express (the first year they were offered). Never had an issue with that one.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in Idaho View Post
Well, it's not working as designed. Sometimes a squeaky wheel gets greese. Send them a demand in writing, and request all correspondence in writing. If they contine to give you flack, and it is flack, pay the $30 to get your gun back, then upload your video to U-tube and post it to as many shotgun websites that you can find, and let them know you are doing it. Since it's already been back for a recall, I would demand replacement if you have taken reasonable care of the gun. Pump guns are supposed to be dead nuts reliable, the only one I've ever managed to break was when I was stuffing sand covered shells into a Win 120 Ranger, and I broke something in the trigger group. My fault, and I found the parts at a local gunshop and fixed it myself. That gun was stolen when my house was robbed in Albuquerque, and I replaced it with a early Remington 870 Express (the first year they were offered). Never had an issue with that one.

I might have to. Hoping not though. I use pumps because I believe they are the best and most reliable. And they are a considerable amount cheaper. Hoping this gets resolved soon. I'm gonna call in and talk to a manager next

Old 01-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #12
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Wanna borrow an old A-5???
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #13
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Wanna borrow an old A-5???

Haha. No thanks, I have my other SXP now

Old 01-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #14
cptdarel
Sturgeon

Well hell, did ya get any Ducks?

almost sounds like Nikon repair, " it would be covered under warrantee but you must have dropped it" ..............WHAT!

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.”
Mahatma Gandhi
cptdarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #15
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdarel View Post
Well hell, did ya get any Ducks?

Oh we've been slaughtering them !!

Old 01-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #16
Canzano
Steelhead

Silver lining in your adventure for 2017.

I don't care who the mfg are a flaw somewhere will eventually show. Some companies respond different than others. Buddy sent me this link. guy upset over SIG pistol. Apparently your not allowed to shoot caseing that are brass or stainless. He must of mused cheaper type and voided his warranty. According to the mfg. Funny federal and Remington he used were brass and SS caseing.

https://youtu.be/Vx0JXBADOLc

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Last edited by Canzano; 01-10-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Canzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #17
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canzano View Post
Silver lining in your adventure for 2017.

I don't care who the mfg are a flaw somewhere will eventually show. Some companies respond different than others. Buddy sent me this link. guy upset over SIG pistol. Apparently your not allowed to shoot caseing that are brass or stainless. He must of mused cheaper type and voided his warranty. According to the mfg. Funny federal and Remington he used were brass and SS caseing.

https://youtu.be/Vx0JXBADOLc

That's a horrible but funny video !! I feel his pain! Lol

Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #18
Canzano
Steelhead

Love my glock

Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 AM   #19
Captain Kirk
Chromer

Numrich lists all of the trigger parts for the SX3 but there must be problems with them because most are out of stock.
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #20
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
Numrich lists all of the trigger parts for the SX3 but there must be problems with them because most are out of stock.

Mine is the SXP. So not sure if the SX3 ones would fit or not... but, if I could get one from them that would be cool.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #21
jimh
King Salmon

The Sig video is pretty creative. Still wondering how it voids the warranty. Seems to me that it just doesn't like hard primers.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #22
joeer77
Steelhead

Dang. Stop throwing good money after bad money. Get a Beretta semi-auto and don't look back. Save your pump as a back up. Sell the old one when you get it back. You won't miss your pump I promise My
joeer77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #23
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Well I called them back again today. Simply asking them to ship my gun back to me. He says, we can do that for $30 that you owe to us for shipping/looking at the gun. I say, why should I have to pay? Your guys told me that this would be covered, that's the only reason why you have my gun in the first place! He says, well your gonna pay that or simply you are not getting your gun back. So I asked to talk to the supervisor and he says that he is the supervisor and the top dog. I said well I know that there is always someone higher up, what's their name and contact? He says, im not giving that information to you. You have 2 options, and I already told you those options. Pick one. Bye. Wow!! What a company????

Old 01-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
Herm
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeer77 View Post
Dang. Stop throwing good money after bad money. Get a Beretta semi-auto and don't look back. Save your pump as a back up. Sell the old one when you get it back. You won't miss your pump I promise My
My Beretta semi-auto does the same thing. Firing pin won't hit the shell hard enough. I learned to get rid of the shell ASAP... after my gun went off while it was sitting up against a fence un-manned.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #25
Ducky12555
Steelhead

I posted the video to YouTube and its called "Winchester SXP trigger fail ***DANGEROUS***

Old 01-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #26
orarcher
Ifish Nate

Bad deal
Old 01-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #27
crabbait
King Salmon

I agree but I guess he is the best judge of whether or not the gun is worth $30.

I would suggest cleaning the new one occasionally and adding a little oil before the trigger mechanism fails. I have the first semi-auto I ever bought, an old Mdl 1100, and a modern Benelli. They both got at least rinsed out and oiled fairly regularly and both still function perfectly.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #28
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Default Winchester warranty, not a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
I agree but I guess he is the best judge of whether or not the gun is worth $30.

I would suggest cleaning the new one occasionally and adding a little oil before the trigger mechanism fails. I have the first semi-auto I ever bought, an old Mdl 1100, and a modern Benelli. They both got at least rinsed out and oiled fairly regularly and both still function perfectly.

That's the thing, I kept the gun cleaned. (For the most part) and the gun was always oiled. If I didn't get the chance to pull out the old tooth brush and actually get in there and clean it the least I would do is lube it all up. Not too much of course because less is more with lubrication. I just hope this gets cleared up. If I have to pay the $30 so be it, but I can say 1 thing. I'm NOT buying another Browning/Winchester firearm again. Simply because of the customer service I have received. All started out so well, but ended so badly.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #29
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky12555 View Post
That's the thing, I kept the gun cleaned. (For the most part) and the gun was always oiled. If I didn't get the chance to pull out the old tooth brush and actually get in there and clean it the least I would do is lube it all up. Not too much of course because less is more with lubrication. I just hope this gets cleared up. If I have to pay the $30 so be it, but I can say 1 thing. I'm NOT buying another Browning/Winchester firearm again. Simply because of the customer service I have received. All started out so well, but ended so badly.

certainly cannot blame you for that, sounds like not only they didn't work with you, but rude as well....that would put a bad taste in anyones mouth...bummer.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #30
Daratfish
Coho

Quote:

I love that dog .
Daratfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:13 PM   #31
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daratfish View Post
I love that dog .

Me too!

Old 01-18-2017, 08:16 PM   #32
Canzano
Steelhead

Sucks winchester and browning audits their Facebook page so we can't post how crappy their product and even better customer service is.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #33
Canzano
Steelhead

Facility Locations

Olin Corporation Headquarters
190 Carondelet Plaza
Suite 1530
Clayton, MO 63105-3443

Wasn't too hard to Google the parent company. I think a quick letter to the address above after searching for president would be in order. May never reach anyone but what if it does. I'd note all the fun you've been having...names times and dates....if u know what I mean.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #34
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canzano View Post
Facility Locations

Olin Corporation Headquarters
190 Carondelet Plaza
Suite 1530
Clayton, MO 63105-3443

Wasn't too hard to Google the parent company. I think a quick letter to the address above after searching for president would be in order. May never reach anyone but what if it does. I'd note all the fun you've been having...names times and dates....if u know what I mean.

I know what you mean. This issue will be addressed!! My dad found an email and I wrote an email out and am sending it to them tomorrow when I can edit it better on a computer from work. If I don't hear back within a week or two by email, I will write them a letter. Same wording and everything. Thanks for your research! Also, I tried to post my video on their Facebook page too, but like you said. They audit it.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #35
Canzano
Steelhead

It's unfortunate but arms manufacturer are simply telling everyone to pound sand. Bennelli glock S&W HK. They all seem to void their product at drop of feather. Good Guns Smith are in high demand.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #36
jvp
King Salmon

start your own facebook page called what winchester did to me. i'm sure others would pile on as well.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #37
JacobOutdoors
Chromer

You might also try reaching out to certain websites to run your story. I had a problem with some snow equipment years ago, through my research I found a website that had a previous story similar to mine, so I send them an email with the info.

A few days later I received a phone call from the company that I had the original problem with. They never did seem to get things right with their solutions, but they made a lot of effort to keep from having more bad press.

JacobOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #38
Finn-icky
Chromer

Well your story was a stark reminder of the kind of person i should work a little harder at being. I would have been extremely p**s*d. Kudo's for keeping your cool even though it didn't yield much better results. At least you can be proud of yourself for self control.
Finn-icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #39
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn-icky View Post
Well your story was a stark reminder of the kind of person i should work a little harder at being. I would have been extremely p**s*d. Kudo's for keeping your cool even though it didn't yield much better results. At least you can be proud of yourself for self control.

Oh it took a lot of control to keep cool with that guy. Haha I just about freaked out on him when he kept saying he was top dog and I'm SOL!! But, by working in customer service like I do, I knew that if I did freak out on him it wouldn't get me anywhere so I stayed calm and just took it. I want to see where this whole ordeal goes when they receive that email.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #40
dewpoint
Steelhead

I would change the title of this post to match the title you used on the youtube video--more likely to get the attention of corporate. Also link your new youtube video in here on this forum--that should help make it more prominent in google search results.

Good luck!
dewpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #41
98ramtough
Tuna!

That sucks to hear. I had great experience with Winchester the only time I had to deal with them with one of my SX3 guns. My cousin offered to clean it, and apparently didn't get the cap on tight enough. First shot of the day the innards went flying 100 yards out into the water. It was almost worth the laugh. I called Winchester to order the parts and the guy on the phone said it was not uncommon and mailed all the parts for free even shipping.
98ramtough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #42
Captain Kirk
Chromer

I think maybe you should try another way to get their attention. Think about it this is a huge safety issue that could cost someone their life. Go to cpsc.gov and click on report an unsafe product?
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #43
orarcher
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
I think maybe you should try another way to get their attention. Think about it this is a huge safety issue that could cost someone their life. Go to cpsc.gov and click on report an unsafe product?
That looks like a good way !!! BUT prior to doing so I would see if they work with you first Maybe use the Government site as a tool to get them to do what's right.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #44
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Thanks for your information guys!!

Old 01-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #45
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ramtough View Post
That sucks to hear. I had great experience with Winchester the only time I had to deal with them with one of my SX3 guns. My cousin offered to clean it, and apparently didn't get the cap on tight enough. First shot of the day the innards went flying 100 yards out into the water. It was almost worth the laugh. I called Winchester to order the parts and the guy on the phone said it was not uncommon and mailed all the parts for free even shipping.

Well there's always that one guy that gets screwed right? Lol. Good thing to hear that they took good care of you. Fortunately for you, you probably didn't have to deal with the ass hat I have been dealing with.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #46
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Thanks for all your guys' info I really appreciate it!!

Old 01-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #47
cowboykid8
Cutthroat

Hi Ducky!

Please post any update to how things go. I bought a new Winchester this year and the sling swivel connection on the stock broke, I was waiting til end of the duck season to give them a call and see what can be done.

Hopefully they will figure it out and fix their mistake.

Last edited by cowboykid8; 01-20-2017 at 10:57 AM.
cowboykid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #48
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboykid8 View Post
Hi Ducky!

Please post any update to how things go. I bought a new Winchester this year and the sling swivel connection on the stock broke, I was waiting til end of the duck season to give them a call and see what can be done.

Hopefully they will figure it out and fix their mistake.

Oh I definitely will!

Old 01-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #49
cptdarel
Sturgeon

Quote:

Just awesome! wow.....there is nothing much better than a wild duck dinner.................well done!!

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.”
Mahatma Gandhi
cptdarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #50
s20055
Tuna!

Quote:

Whatever else this thread is about, I got sucked in by this pic. Apologies to the OP...but that's one good-looking dog!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream or an elk trail, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
s20055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #51
Ducky12555
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by s20055 View Post
Whatever else this thread is about, I got sucked in by this pic. Apologies to the OP...but that's one good-looking dog!

Haha. Yes he is!! I'll try and get more pics of him tomorrow. Everyone is commenting on how much they like him haha

Old 01-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #52
Ducky12555
Steelhead

heres a sauvie island 2 man limit that we got in 1.5 hours

Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #53
GDuck
Tuna!

Play with google, find the CEO of the parent company. Send HIM a registered letter at whatever appears to be his home address. I had to get creative in a similar fashion to deal with Nikon a few years ago..........in about a week I had my brand new replacement scope.

Sounds like gun makers are acting like American car makers using any and every excuse to deny warranties. I will say Benelli didn't blink when my SBE patterned excessively high when I first shot it.....they fitted a new upper on it along with a patterned target and a note that said "so sorry....this should work for ya!". Took about 2 weeks.

GD
GDuck is offline   Reply With Quote