2017 Wickiup Reports - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 01-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
chukardave1
Tuna!

Default 2017 Wickiup Reports

Always wanted to start one of these threads

With it pounding down snow outside with well over a foot on the ground in the last 24 hours and still going strong I am sitting in my office thinking about fishing my favorite lake.

With last years decent snowpack and what should be a great snowpack this winter the lake should hold its levels better than it has the last two years. Hope that it will fill this spring before they start dropping it for irrigation. Not sure what mediation has come up with for the frog so don't know if North Unit will have to send more water downstream to mitigate for the frog this spring before irrigation season starts. But I do think the lower water the last two summers has led to the bigger fish that we saw last year. A lot easier pickins for the predator fish, and birds when the water is so low.

Cant wait till April 22

chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
team anarchy
Ifish Nate

Default Re: 2017 Wickiup Reports

You think there will be access?
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
chukardave1
Tuna!

Ill take one of my plows up there if I have to to open up the boat launch in April.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
Mole Whisperer
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
Ill take one of my plows up there if I have to to open up the boat launch in April.
Mole Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
Umpquanuts
Chromer

So 4 days into the new year Dave lights the fuse for the Wickiup Fever Bomb....thanks a lot Dave. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow and hope that all the water management makes for another good year on Wicky.
I see compared to the average we are around 20% less than "normal" on the % full but they are letting more than average in from Crane Prairie and less out of Wickiup currently. Okay... back to scratching out the days left until Wickiup is open for fishing!!!!
Umpquanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #6
dlm
Chromer

Launched opening morning last year at 16 degrees. Made for one slippery dock. If you take up a plow could you De-ice the dock also?

Quote:
Old 01-05-2017, 06:06 AM   #7
redhorseshoe
Coho

Minimum stream flows below wickiup now must be maintained at 100cfs through the winter due to the spotted frog lawsuit. This is shaping up to be a good snowpack year but the increased minimum stream flow will show down the filling process. Also, the available water in Crane Prarie has been reduced from 50,000 acre feet to 10,000 acre feet. That means CP will stay close to full all the time but no water will be available to supplement the loss from Wickiup during irrigation season.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
redhorseshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
Umpquanuts
Chromer

So I need to learn more about the spotted frog issue and see that a recent settlement requires the minimum of 100 cfs between Mid September until the end of March as noted above. What were the historic flows for the site (and were is that location) needing to meet that criteria? What was the original distribution of the spotted frog prior to the reservoirs construction? Is there less chance of toxic algal blooms in those reservoirs required to contribute to the flow if their acre feet is higher?Is there a population of spotted frogs in the reservoirs noted and if so how does drawing them down impact those populations? Anyway some more research to do I guess and..... sorry about the hi-jack on Wickiup. Love those silver bullets....the fish that is.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #9
oldranger
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpquanuts View Post
So I need to learn more about the spotted frog issue and see that a recent settlement requires the minimum of 100 cfs between Mid September until the end of March as noted above. What were the historic flows for the site (and were is that location) needing to meet that criteria? What was the original distribution of the spotted frog prior to the reservoirs construction? Is there less chance of toxic algal blooms in those reservoirs required to contribute to the flow if their acre feet is higher?Is there a population of spotted frogs in the reservoirs noted and if so how does drawing them down impact those populations? Anyway some more research to do I guess and..... sorry about the hi-jack on Wickiup. Love those silver bullets....the fish that is.
Historic flows ranged between 600 and 1200 cfs, a remarkably limited range for a western river. Since the creation of the dams the flows have ranged from 25 to 2200 cfs though typically high flows do not exceed about 1700. The team that developed the Upper Deschutes Wild and Scenic River plan in the mid 90s considered 250 cfs to be a target minimum flow to preserve river values, though 25 cfs remained the legal minimum. (I don't know the status of the 100cfs minimum) I think one year the releases from Wickiup did not go below or much below 250 cfs. Prior to the dams the Upper Deschutes, below Wickiup contained a large population of large (from pics I've seen 10 lb) bull trout that were commercially fished. My guess is the issue for the frog is the dewatering of oxbows and other flooded wetlands along the river during periods of low flows. A major issue with irrigation in the mid 90s was the amount of water loss through leakage of the canals. As I recall as much as 50% of the water removed from the reservoirs was lost thru leakage back then. Since then some portion of the canals have been lined or piped but certainly not all or even a majority. But lining or piping the canals would make a reduced withdrawal, and allow more water in the reservoirs and reduce the range of flows in the river. However there are also negative impacts to that scenario. The leaky canals also recharge an aquifer that some families depend on for their water. Also some springs along the Crooked and Deschutes rivers apparently depend at least in part on water from the aquifer.

Last edited by oldranger; 01-05-2017 at 06:14 PM.
oldranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #10
boatman
Tuna!

What would have happened to this areas if the dams were never built. With the drought the past few years what would have happened?
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #11
oldranger
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
What would have happened to this areas if the dams were never built. With the drought the past few years what would have happened?
There would be very little irrigated agriculture. City water would not be impacted.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
canes_venatici
Ifish Nate

No boat ramp pics yet?
canes_venatici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:52 PM   #13
Doc_Rhen
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes_venatici View Post
No boat ramp pics yet?
Pretty sure you would need a snowmobile to get a ramp picture.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #14
oldranger
Steelhead

Just checked lake level. It is currently only 4 feet lower than max pool for last year. Just maybe it will get to 100% full this year! So what does that mean for fishing?
Old 02-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #15
oldranger
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldranger View Post
Just checked lake level. It is currently only 4 feet lower than max pool for last year. Just maybe it will get to 100% full this year! So what does that mean for fishing?
Whoops that 4 feet is a lot of water. Best guess is there will be more water than last year but between 90 and 95% full pool. If we continue with above normal precipitation thru April the need to withdraw as much water for irrigation will be reduced. However the irrigation districts are now required to start releasing water above the 100cfs that is now required on march 31 rather than the old date that the irrigation districts used, April 15. It appears that beginning March 15 release from Wickiup will be gradually increased from 100 cfs to 600 cfs on March 31. My guess that will remain stable until the normal irrigation season begins on April 15. The 600 cfs should closely match inflow during that period. After April 15, there is likely to be ramping up the outflow to about 1200cfs (mid summer even more) the lake level is likely to begin dropping at a rate between 500 and 1000 acre feet per day. The important thing to remember is that the only consideration in the agreement changing the flow is protection of the frog and providing water for irrigators. Fishing is just a nice by product. Although it can argued that the creation of Wickiup and Crane Prairie reservoirs killed a trophy bull and redband trout fishery.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #16
jtj
Steelhead

Does Gull Point or South Twin campgrounds open before May 24th? If you go late April or early May are there other camp sites? (Did search last years posts and didn't find anything).
jtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #17
KokaneeGal
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj View Post
Does Gull Point or South Twin campgrounds open before May 24th? If you go late April or early May are there other camp sites? (Did search last years posts and didn't find anything).
I think they are open (if you can get in, snow) but no reservations before May 24th.
KokaneeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #18
Deuce02
Chromer

Yep open for opening weekend, just on first come first serve.
Deuce02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #19
stryker20
Steelhead

This as far as you can get up south century as of today
Attached Images

stryker20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #20
stryker20
Steelhead

A view from the dam on March 5 2017
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #21
chukardave1
Tuna!

Old 03-06-2017, 04:37 AM   #22
Jedcraft
Tuna!

Anyone ever tried ice fishing for kokanee?
Jedcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #23
Deuce02
Chromer

Hope it warms up soon
Deuce02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:04 AM   #24
redhorseshoe
Coho

Forecast this morning said 2-4' feet of snow overnight for the central cascades. I wouldn't get too excited yet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
redhorseshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #25
Umpquanuts
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedcraft View Post
Anyone ever tried ice fishing for kokanee?
Oh my....that would be fun on my short ice fishing trout rods....suppose they might get bruised up a little when they try to jump? Those shots make it still look like winter up there eh? Guess that extra snow will make for more water to fish.....that is as long as the frogs are happy downstream!!!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #26
StLouisSteve
Fry

Well Thanks for all the reports up there. Since I drag my boat in from the south end of the rez I will need a snowmobile to even make it to the Wickiup boat ramp by the dam.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #27
team anarchy
Ifish Nate

Just remember, this can be a common thing. This year has been BRUTAL. I've been in Bend 40yrs and this is about the #2 worst winter. Some people (including me) will continue to try and get out there and give you a report. Hate to saw it, but the campgrounds will probably be snowed in.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #28
chukardave1
Tuna!

Hope this is a sign that they are going to get started on the road soon
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #29
chukardave1
Tuna!

Took a drive this afternoon

Road is plowed as far as I can see so that is a good thing. Not sure how far they have gotten or if they have, or are going to, work on the road to twin lakes. I hope so.

View from the dam is a good sign. Looks like lake is at least 2/3 thawed. Through binos I could see ice still on the lake on the west end. Hopefully that will be gone in the next few days and the water can start warming up a bit.

Fingers crossed
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #30
Williams
Ifish Nate

Boy that looks good Dave. This winter can't leave fast enough for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #31
stryker20
Steelhead

Quote:
Took a drive this afternoon

Road is plowed as far as I can see so that is a good thing. Not sure how far they have gotten or if they have, or are going to, work on the road to twin lakes. I hope so.

View from the dam is a good sign. Looks like lake is at least 2/3 thawed. Through binos I could see ice still on the lake on the west end. Hopefully that will be gone in the next few days and the water can start warming up a bit.

Fingers crossed
Looking a lot better than a few weeks ago
Old 03-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #32
team anarchy
Ifish Nate

Thanks Dave. Looks great!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #33
Umpquanuts
Chromer

Wow Dave.....the shot of the reservoir sure has changed the last couple of weeks and at 84% full pool it appears you will still be able to disappear from us wannabees.....Crane P. continues to fill and looks like they are holding more water than normal from spilling out of Wicky...imagine when the frogs/fields and friends downstream need water it will drop. Guess I better tie up some new leaders!!!!! Oh my...with the on and off jigging reports up on Odell...my fever to break away from the Umpqua heightens.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:23 AM   #34
QuadRider
Cutthroat

Is the road open to Crane Prairie?
QuadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #35
SCOOTA
Steelhead

doh Re: 2017 Wickiup Reports

Drove up ther on Sunday hoping to get a look at Wickiup. Darn Gate still across the road. Whats up with that?
Old 04-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #36
chukardave1
Tuna!

Took a drive today. Gate is open on 42, they have a road closed sign on the road into twin lakes at 42. Snow still on roadway through there but melting fast. Was able to drive into N wickiup launch from the dam. Main lot is clear of snow, overflow lot is 75% clear. Dock is not in water yet. From what I could see most camp sites in Gull point are clear too. Hope the "rumor" isn't true about the limit but we will see. That would really suck.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #37
SCOOTA
Steelhead

Praise the Lord. Thanks Dave
Old 04-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #38
H_histrionicus
Steelhead

What is this rumor thou speaketh of, Dave?
Old 04-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #39
chukardave1
Tuna!

Take a look at the "rumor" thread on kokanee page. Rumor is reducing limit from 25 to 5 kokanee
Old 04-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #40
RippinSomeLippage
Steelhead

Did you happen to see if Crane Resort lot was clear
RippinSomeLippage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #41
H_histrionicus
Steelhead

Hadn't seen that. That would be depressing...
Old 04-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #42
alaska 41
Steelhead

If you are talking about 5 fish in Wickiup ,here is what I found for the 2017 regs.

Wickiup Reservoir • Open Apr 22 - Oct 31. • 25 kokanee per day in addition to daily trout limit. No size limits. • The Deschutes River Arm, upstream of ODFW marker at West South Twin boat ramp is closed to angling after Sep 30.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #43
chukardave1
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippinSomeLippage View Post
Did you happen to see if Crane Resort lot was clear
I didnt go that far. But unless the resort is doing their road in I would imagine there is still quite a bit of snow through there. Similar to the main road into twin lakes which is still covered in ~6" of snow.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #44
S Radke
Steelhead

For anyone who missed it in the other thread, 5 fish limit confirmed for this year.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2017/04_apr/040717b.asp
S Radke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #45
JD77
Tuna!

Was I the only person surprised that wickiup isn't stocked at all? Given the fishing pressure and take i was really surprised to read that
JD77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #46
Umpquanuts
Chromer

Well color me confused but the old gray matter may need some rule interpretation....again on the posted language. So we had some discussion a while ago about "well you can have 5 more kokanee to your take for the day (considered trout) so each person could have 30 kokanee in the cooler.....This new apparent post by ODFW is totally confusing to me ...but maybe that does not take much (hahahaha). I interpret that first change to say you can have 25 kokanee and/or trout in the cooler not a total of 30. So what is the rest of the Wickiup warriors thoughts? Does the recent ODFW post mean we can only have a total of 5 trout or kokanee in the cooler.....a combination of just 5 fish?
On another related subject the Critical Spotted Frog Habitat ribbiting areas....there is some 22,031 acres of good stuff above Wickiup Dam and some 2001 acres noted below it.....kinda seems we should keep some water in Wickiup and Crane Prairie to preserve those wetted areas too. Where are/were all the historic areas for the Redband Trout....and where are their areas today...certainly I like to see some water in the stream channels...so there must be some trade off of downstream wetted channel widths and less frog wetted areas in Wickiup and Crane Prairie?
Okay back to the kokanee of Wickiup....I do love to fish them and try to catch some large fish....I am not as efficient/good at catching high numbers each day as some of those who visit. Ya I travel quite a ways to fish it....size matters to me....guess I might be in favor of a reduction in take but if it down to 5 fish.....the fish eater in me might pressure some other lakes/reservoirs more frequently.
Anyway...waiting for some new dialogue on clarification of rule changes....If I fish it can I only take 5 trout and/or kokanee per day? Grumble, grumble grumble....like some of you have noted...show me some science behind the rule change. matters!!!!!
Old 04-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #47
Old Coot
Ifish Nate

"The first rule change eliminates the kokanee “bonus bag” that allowed anglers to keep up to 25 kokanee in addition to the regular 5 fish trout limit. Effective opening day, April 22, 2017, anglers must include kokanee WITHIN the 5 fish trout limit."

I read it to say your daily bag limit is five fish.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #48
cbird1961
Steelhead

Quote:
Well color me confused but the old gray matter may need some rule interpretation....again on the posted language. So we had some discussion a while ago about "well you can have 5 more kokanee to your take for the day (considered trout) so each person could have 30 kokanee in the cooler.....This new apparent post by ODFW is totally confusing to me ...but maybe that does not take much (hahahaha). I interpret that first change to say you can have 25 kokanee and/or trout in the cooler not a total of 30. So what is the rest of the Wickiup warriors thoughts? Does the recent ODFW post mean we can only have a total of 5 trout or kokanee in the cooler.....a combination of just 5 fish?
On another related subject the Critical Spotted Frog Habitat ribbiting areas....there is some 22,031 acres of good stuff above Wickiup Dam and some 2001 acres noted below it.....kinda seems we should keep some water in Wickiup and Crane Prairie to preserve those wetted areas too. Where are/were all the historic areas for the Redband Trout....and where are their areas today...certainly I like to see some water in the stream channels...so there must be some trade off of downstream wetted channel widths and less frog wetted areas in Wickiup and Crane Prairie?
Okay back to the kokanee of Wickiup....I do love to fish them and try to catch some large fish....I am not as efficient/good at catching high numbers each day as some of those who visit. Ya I travel quite a ways to fish it....size matters to me....guess I might be in favor of a reduction in take but if it down to 5 fish.....the fish eater in me might pressure some other lakes/reservoirs more frequently.
Anyway...waiting for some new dialogue on clarification of rule changes....If I fish it can I only take 5 trout and/or kokanee per day? Grumble, grumble grumble....like some of you have noted...show me some science behind the rule change. matters!!!!!
I read it as 5 fish total. They have an article in NW Sports magazine now as well. http://nwsportsmanmag.com/headlines/...-trims-season/
cbird1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #49
Kenamatic
Chromer

Yes, now the limit is 5 kokanee/trout straight or mixed bag
Kenamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #50
Umpquanuts
Chromer

Thanks for the clarification ifishers.....looks to be 5 kokanee or trout total for the day on Wickiup......okay....so like another post I imagine if someone says "aw not big enough back you go" then the cleanup crew of birds will dine well until we knock a 5th kokanee or trout to our liking on the head and into the cooler.

So another interpretation needed for the old fart. So you fish Wickiup and score 5 fish that go into the cooler and say limit out the boat for number of anglers (multiples of 5, 10, 15 etc). It's early so you haul over to Odell....are you able to fish for kokanee if you have attained your daily limit on another water-body for that day or would you have to stop short of the 5 fish limit first?
Or let's say would it be possible to start on Odell catch 20 (stopping short of 25), then save a slot of 5 fish for Wickiup? Seems to be there is some lingo in the regs (2017 page 15; General Restrictions #7. That notes you are restricted to continue to fish for the same type of fish after catching and retaining a bag or possession limit. With some exceptions. Imagine I would need to leave the Odell fish on shore? Yup, might save a few gallons of diesel and wait in line to launch the boat at Odell.
Oh another question....when on Wickiup....so if you could not fish for more kokanee I imagine brown trout would be out of the question too (a trout.... so too much like your fish in the cooler?). Do largemouth bass like to eat trolled rapalas? One day on Wickiup I caught three nice bullheads in a row off the wire 25 feet down on hoochies with a dodger....maybe I should target them and release those incidental kokanee to the nice warm surface water? Better stop...the winter has been too long!!!!!
The Grumpy one.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #51
team anarchy
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification ifishers.....looks to be 5 kokanee or trout total for the day on Wickiup......okay....so like another post I imagine if someone says "aw not big enough back you go" then the cleanup crew of birds will dine well until we knock a 5th kokanee or trout to our liking on the head and into the cooler.

So another interpretation needed for the old fart. So you fish Wickiup and score 5 fish that go into the cooler and say limit out the boat for number of anglers (multiples of 5, 10, 15 etc). It's early so you haul over to Odell....are you able to fish for kokanee if you have attained your daily limit on another water-body for that day or would you have to stop short of the 5 fish limit first?
Or let's say would it be possible to start on Odell catch 20 (stopping short of 25), then save a slot of 5 fish for Wickiup? Seems to be there is some lingo in the regs (2017 page 15; General Restrictions #7. That notes you are restricted to continue to fish for the same type of fish after catching and retaining a bag or possession limit. With some exceptions. Imagine I would need to leave the Odell fish on shore? Yup, might save a few gallons of diesel and wait in line to launch the boat at Odell.
Oh another question....when on Wickiup....so if you could not fish for more kokanee I imagine brown trout would be out of the question too (a trout.... so too much like your fish in the cooler?). Do largemouth bass like to eat trolled rapalas? One day on Wickiup I caught three nice bullheads in a row off the wire 25 feet down on hoochies with a dodger....maybe I should target them and release those incidental kokanee to the nice warm surface water? Better stop...the winter has been too long!!!!!
The Grumpy one.
I'm sorry ( and I know I will get burned for this) but kokanee fishermen are the most greedy people there are.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #52
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by team anarchy View Post
I'm sorry ( and I know I will get burned for this) but kokanee fishermen are the most greedy people there are.
Not a very useful comment from someone who catches plenty of salmon. It takes a lot of kokanee to equal one 25lb Chinook.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #53
team anarchy
Ifish Nate

That's the point Joe. I fished the Nush in Ak twice. Caught around 100 fish. Kept two each trip. Going to Sitka in June. Have no plans to keep any salmon. I have no problem with anyone keeping the limit. Complain about changes in the regs, well, I guess that is just ifish.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #54
SlamminKokes
Tuna!

Quote:
I'll throw lots of logs on your fire! Hope it's hot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #55
gftit
Chromer

I think your missing one very important fact.
Some long time Kokanee fishermen are sure this will negatively impact the fishery.
That doesn't seem greedy to me.
gftit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #56
SlamminKokes
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gftit View Post
I think your missing one very important fact.
Some long time Kokanee fishermen are sure this will negatively impact the fishery.
That doesn't seem greedy to me.
It's exactly the issue. There's enough 12-14" koke lakes in the area. I can understand the idea of dropping the limit but nothing this drastic. 10 fish a day would be a good starting point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #57
team anarchy
Ifish Nate

OK. Here's the deal. Joe(fish on bend) was very nice to me before my first trip to the Nush. He loaned me videos he had from his trip there. I went to his house and he gave me advice. Sold me some Pike plugs (which caught me fish). I want in no way to insult him or others on this thread. I will now retreat and keep my mouth shut (at least for now).
Old 04-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #58
Umpquanuts
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-on-bend View Post
Not a very useful comment from someone who catches plenty of salmon. It takes a lot of kokanee to equal one 25lb Chinook.
Thanks for your comment fob....as many of you know I usually load up my cooler with as many kokanee as I can catch... pushing the law to the limit for how many I can take home....once in a while I get into double figures during a day.....wakemstackmen might question that statement....well guess I better not ask any questions on regulation interpretation...might morph into another characterization of myself. Just a crusty old fish eater.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #59
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate

Quote:
OK. Here's the deal. Joe(fish on bend) was very nice to me before my first trip to the Nush. He loaned me videos he had from his trip there. I went to his house and he gave me advice. Sold me some Pike plugs (which caught me fish). I want in no way to insult him or others on this thread. I will now retreat and keep my mouth shut (at least for now).
I appreciate that Scott but my point in your case is that if you catch 100 kokanee and keep 2 most of the 100 will die. They are not a good c and r species. So if you go to Wickiup with 3 guys and hit a hot bite you could be done in an hour. I have no doubt that some of the Mack's, bulls and browns I release don't make it. But their mortality rate on release is far lower than the fragile thin lipped kokanee.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #60
Daninbend
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
"The first rule change eliminates the kokanee “bonus bag” that allowed anglers to keep up to 25 kokanee in addition to the regular 5 fish trout limit. Effective opening day, April 22, 2017, anglers must include kokanee WITHIN the 5 fish trout limit."

I read it to say your daily bag limit is five fish.
I read this differently. Previously, you could keep 25 Kokanee, plus 5 trout. Now you can keep 25 Kokanee, unless you keep trout. If you keep 5 trout, you can keep only 20 Kokanee. If you keep 4 trout, you can keep 21 Kokanee, etc.
Daninbend is offline   Reply With Quote