Coos/Coquile Steelhead - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Flyfishers

Notices

Old 12-21-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
Thundercleez
Steelhead

Default Coos/Coquile Steelhead

Any one out there fishing the Coos or Coquille systems for steelhead on the fly? I could really use an enthusiastic partner who wants to get down and dirty exploring these rivers and getting away from the hatchery shows. I really like fishing the Elliot forest area above the MIC and weyerhauser land for wild fish. I also really want to start fishing the Smith. I swing and nymph. Hit me up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thundercleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
Snapt
Super Moderator

Default Re: Coos/Coquile Steelhead

I live in Portland, but I'd love to make a trip down south this winter. i assume Feb. and March are the best months for wild fish.
Snapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
Thundercleez
Steelhead

Cool hit me up if you make it down here. I travel to Portland a few times throughout winter, mostly to fish the Sandy.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
Hydrophilic
Tuna!

I grew up down there and learned to fish on those streams. Not a ton of wild fish above the MIC, for whatever reason. I still make a trip or two every year though and got into a decent buck last year. It is beautiful with some great habitat, I've always scratched my head and wondered why there weren't more natives in the there. If you explore in Feb you'll come across a couple holes that will usually have one in there every other time...but don't expect big numbers.
Hydrophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Snapt
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercleez View Post
Cool hit me up if you make it down here. I travel to Portland a few times throughout winter, mostly to fish the Sandy.

Thanks, do the same when you come to Portland.
Snapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
Thundercleez
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrophilic View Post
I grew up down there and learned to fish on those streams. Not a ton of wild fish above the MIC, for whatever reason. I still make a trip or two every year though and got into a decent buck last year. It is beautiful with some great habitat, I've always scratched my head and wondered why there weren't more natives in the there. If you explore in Feb you'll come across a couple holes that will usually have one in there every other time...but don't expect big numbers.

Really? From my experiences last year there seemed to be good numbers because I never got skunked above MIC after mid January as long as I went while the water was still above 4 feet on the gage. This year I have visited that stretch of water twice and didn't expect any wild fish in December but I still swung up a small buck on one trip. If you head down this way you should shoot me a message!

Old 01-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
Hydrophilic
Tuna!

Nice! Good to hear. I guess most of my trips are thanksgiving weekend when I'm down visiting family, which is pretty early. I will let you know if I'm down there...I have an 8 weight Thomas and Thomas set up but haven't used it yet. I usually drift fish but the plan is to start swinging some flys this year.
Hydrophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #8
greenwater
Steelhead

I live down this way and planned to start fishing further up to Coq this year. I'll be in touch.
greenwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
Thundercleez
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwater View Post
I live down this way and planned to start fishing further up to Coq this year. I'll be in touch.

Sounds good.