Duck worth 26 or sea raider 2696 - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 12-11-2016, 06:04 AM   #1
Wet dreams
Cutthroat

Default Duck worth 26 or sea raider 2696

Good morning I fishers,
Any thoughts on a duck worth 26 versus raider 2696.
Don't want to order. Wife likes show room raider which off shore bracket is added to the length ,where duck worth bracket is part of length. I have morage at the coast. Main use is salt. Need help seeing what I am missing. Haven't bought a new boat since the 90's.
Thanks in advanced

Wet dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2016, 06:12 AM   #2
SouthernCharm
Tuna!

Default Re: Duck worth 26 or sea raider 2696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet dreams View Post
Good morning I fishers,
Don't want to order. Wife likes show room raider which off shore bracket is added to the length ,where duck worth bracket is part of length. I have morage at the coast. Main use is salt. Need help seeing what I am missing. Haven't bought a new boat since the 90's.
Thanks in advanced

I have the 26' Weldcraft basically a Duckworth. A great Pacific Ocean boat. Handles all my offshore needs. Gets kind of tight trying to slow troll the river with other boats,tide and Wind. Make sure you don't underpower to save money. You will need the torque crossing the bar. As a minimum, I have twin 150. They recommends 115, no way. I would like a set of 225. I can cruise easily at 30mph in most seas espically wind chop. It knocks it right down. Good luck and there is no perfect all around boat.
SouthernCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
Timber Tech
Ifish Nate

So what is the LOA on both boats? Same width? Same specs on hull materials? I have never been on a Sea Raider but have seen some of their smaller boats and they seem pretty basic. I have been on the Duckworth and i absolutely love that boat. Get the rub rails!

Maybe you could post the specs and a pic of each and then you could get some more "educated" advise.
Timber Tech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
Wet dreams
Cutthroat

Both boats .250 hull
duck worth .190 sides, raider .160 sides, duck worth just over 5000 lbs
raider just under 5000 lbs both will have twin 200
I have always had fiberglass at 23 ft and to small of a fuel tank (60 gals) I would like to upgrade. As far as posting links I will have to try, above my pay grade. Raider hull 28 ft with o/s bracket, duck worth 26 with o/s bracket
Thanks
Old 12-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
98ramtough
Ifish Nate

Just in case you wanted to compare apples to apples. The Duckworth Offshore comes in 24,26,28 and 30'. Below are the specs on the 26 Duckworth. To me looking at the specs Duckworth does not include the offshore bracket in the length of model. Maybe you were comparing a 24 model thinking it was a 26? Looks like the beam is 8" wider on the Sea Raider. Seems like that would make a huge nice difference? Appears the Duckworth might cut water slightly better with the slightly sharper V, but might be a bit tippier when walking side to side fighting fish etc. I know nothing about either models, was just curious what they both looked like so I figured I would post some links and data I found. If these are the wrong boats, disregard! Do both boats have the sliding rear door? That is an awesome idea. Seems like the sliding door would make it a lot better if you have tackle bag or rod or net or whatever sitting in the back where the door opens.

the link to see specs is

http://www.duckworthboats.com/models...-and-features/

LENGTH:8.5 m / 28'
BEAM:2.6 m / 102"
SIDE:101.6 cm x 4.06 mm / 40" x .160"- 5086 H116
BTM WIDTH:243.84 cm x 6.35 mm / 96" x .250"- 5086 H116 w/Reverse Chine
DRY WEIGHT:2416 kg / 5326 lbs
DEADRISE:Bow 39°, Forward 26°, Transom 19°
FUEL CAP:492.1 L / 121 USG diurnal fuel system
MAX HP:373 kw / 500 HP
MAX CAP:9 person or 1485 lb, 675 kg
4200 lb, 1905 kg motor, persons, gear

Sea Raider Specs Left numbers will be 26' right numbers is for 28'. Format got screwed up on the copy paste.... Link below to specs also.

http://www.raiderboats.com/default.a...r-cuddy-series

SPECS
LENGTH 26' 28'
HULL LENGTH W/OS BRACKET 28' 30'
BEAM 110" 110"
BOTTOM WIDTH 96" 96"
BOTTOM GAUGE .250 .250
SIDE HEIGHT 38" 38"
SIDE GAUGE .160" .160"
INSIDE COCKPIT DEPTH 31" 31"
AFT DEADRISE 18° 18°
AMIDSHIP DEADRISE 24° 24°
FORWARD VEE 35° 35°
PERSON / CAPACITY 9/1500# 9/1500#
WEIGHT CAPACITY 2500# 3500#
MAX HP 450 hp 500 hp
HULL WEIGHT 5180# 5450#
FUEL CAPACITY 124/160 gal. 124/160 gal.
98ramtough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
Timber Tech
Ifish Nate

Thanks Ram.

Looking at the specs attached and I am guessing both are similar in price i think I would need to sea trial both.

Duckworth: I think it is a nicer looking hull. Rails look bigger and front of boat looks usable. Again, i have been on the Duckworths and know they are really nice boats.

Sea Raider: 2' longer and the 110" beam are hard to beat. 8" is 8". That's a lot when it comes to width. The Raider appears, from my cell phone at least to not be quite as nice a finish as the DW.

Hopefully they have the Raider at the boat show coming up so I can get a look. At last years show i thought the 28' DW was the best in show
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #7
Wet dreams
Cutthroat

I have been watching a couple of yearend closeouts.
The duck worth is finished nicer, but the wife likes the creature comforts
of the raider. The duck worth will be roughly 15,000 more to upgrade
to twin 200 w/dec. I will probably wait for Seattle and Portland's boat show.
I do like the color blue.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #8
SmokedPhish
Fry

I've seen a used Raider about that size. The paint was peeling bad. I know this can be a problem from not being taking care of , but something to think about. Raiders a are on the low end of the aluminum boat spectrum. If you could afford the Duckworth you might do better on the resale side of things.
SmokedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #9
Irishrover
Tuna!

The Duckworths do not add the extra two foot of offshore bracket to the model number. My 24' offshore Duck is 26' overall. The state marine board figured that out so I pay them for it and it show on the registration as a 26 footer. Timber Tech has it right..get the rub rails! I've never been on a Raider so I do not know how they ride. I have been very impressed with the Duck in tough water, and it's fishing space. I like the high sides and dryness of the boat. Good luck which ever way you go.

Last edited by Irishrover; 12-11-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Irishrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #10
gatherfishandgame
Chromer

love my 2284 raider,does everything i have ask of it
gatherfishandgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #11
shotgunskeeter
Fry

Quote:
Good morning I fishers,
Thanks in advanced
I know this boat and the builder, think military tough and gorgeous good looks. bennettboats Order and get exactly what you want, no compromise.
shotgunskeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
FireHead
Tuna!

Why only those two? Have you looked at the Kingfishers?

If it is only those two, the Duckworth is the better constructed boat.
FireHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:10 AM   #13
Little Buck
Chromer

Here we go . I lovev these boat threads ! I get to dream a little and see some gorgeous boats.
Little Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:52 AM   #14
Soulakala
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHead View Post
Why only those two? Have you looked at the Kingfishers?

If it is only those two, the Duckworth is the better constructed boat.
Kingfisher boats made in Canada are measured bow to back of OS bracket. My Weldcraft Ocean King 220 is longer than the KF 25'. The other boat to look at is Weldcraft's Cuddy King. The Weldcraft and Duckworth come from the same plant and share the same hull, the cabin and detail set them apart.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #15
Chass
Sturgeon

When we started our search, we looked at a lot of different boat brands. It came down to North River and Weldcraft/Duckworth. For us, there was nothing else in the running that was a production boat available used on the market.

A couple of observations. The Duckworth has a rail to rail of 102" but it's bottom is 96". The Sea Raider is 110" but it's bottom is 96". That should effectively make the Sea Raider more tippy walking side to side. It also makes the Sea Raider technically illegal to tow without a wide load sign in Oregon I believe.

Our 260 Cuddy kind measures every bit of 26' of hull. It is 29' from the nose (not including the pulpit) to the back of the bracket. I feel like it is a lot of boat for a 26' footer.

My relatively subjective opinion is that the Weldcraft/Duckworth boats are very well built and there may not be a better hull on the market. The other aluminum's of the size that I have been on (quite a few) just don't have the ride that this boat has. Whatever they did, it works really well. Our Welcraft is a bare bones fishing machine. The Duckworth would be the comfort model. And as SouthernCharm said, don't go smaller than twin 150s. We have twin Yamahas and I love them. I don't feel we have ever needed more. That boat steps onto plane with a full load of people, tuna and ice just as fast as I could ever want.

I have never been on a Sea Raider so I have no opinion. Someone else mentioned Kingfisher. I have spent some time on them and I looked very hard at them on the lot. They are not built like the Weldcraft. That's about all I can say.

As some others have said, I wish we had rub rails! The rear steering station is something I also wish I had. Don't even consider buying a boat of that size without autopilot or you'll kick yourself later when you have to spend that money out of pocket.

Good luck with your decision.

Chass
ct

Last edited by Chass; 12-12-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Chass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:22 AM   #16
Timber Tech
Ifish Nate

The DW looks real nice in black as well.

Check out the front rails....looks usable as a fishing platform on a calm day.

I have a 28' boat similar to the one you are looking at with no rear station and a bigger boat that does have a rear station. Unless you are spending 75% of your fishing back trolling for Halibut I would rather have the room. Most of your fishing will most likely be under the power of Auto Pilot or drifting.

In Change order we have a rear station and it's really handy for backing into the slip and Halibut fishing but that's the only time we use it.

RUB RAILS RUB RAILS RUB RAILS. You say the boat will be stored in the slip most of the time... no better reason to get the rails.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2016, 08:11 PM   #17
Larry G
Steelhead

I have a 26 Duckworth and absolutely love it! The only thing I would do different is add rub rails. I don't have them and wish I did!
Larry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:34 AM   #18
Finn-icky
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chass View Post
A couple of observations. The Duckworth has a rail to rail of 102" but it's bottom is 96". The Sea Raider is 110" but it's bottom is 96". That should effectively make the Sea Raider more tippy walking side to side. It also makes the Sea Raider technically illegal to tow without a wide load sign in Oregon I believe.

Good luck with your decision.
Chass
ct
I looked it up and in Oregon the maximum width of a load being towed on public roadways is 102". Since this boat will be moored maybe not a deal breaker.
Finn-icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:40 AM   #19
Pitch Pocket
Ifish Nate

If you do any crabbing, the rear station is very handy.
Member #81
Pitch Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #20
Chass
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn-icky View Post
I looked it up and in Oregon the maximum width of a load being towed on public roadways is 102". Since this boat will be moored maybe not a deal breaker.
For what it's worth I have towed my 9' 6" wide glass boat all over Oregon and Washington without a sign or permit . . . never had an issue.

Chass
ct
Old 12-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #21
Wet dreams
Cutthroat

Thanks for the info. I trailer from Hoods canal to Fort Bragg Ca. so size is a thought. The Smith river and Redwoods are not good with full width loads.
Twin 200 and 124 gallons of fuel, plenty of range?
I am getting cold feet. Been looking for a year. Don't know if it is fair to the wife for us to get this and have her to deal with it in a few years.
So many thoughts. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #22
Chass
Sturgeon

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I trailer from Hoods canal to Fort Bragg Ca. so size is a thought. The Smith river and Redwoods are not good with full width loads.
I am getting cold feet. Been looking for a year. Don't know if it is fair to the wife for us to get this and have her to deal with it in a few years.
Honestly, the 8" difference isn't any issue for towing in my mind. However, I also wouldn't let it sway my decision to buy the wider boat just for that reason. I think it's of negligible advantage. What would sway my opinion is the higher sides on the Duckworth.

If you like tuna fishing and you ever go out long distances when they aren't close, I do not think 124 gallons is enough. We get 1.75 mpg average with our twin 150s on tuna trips. I don't feel that our 130 gallon tank is big enough. That gives us 75 miles one way MAX. Although I haven't gone that far in this boat, I might want to someday. (I just bought a satellite phone to cover the last safety concern that I had) Weldcraft/duckworth makes an extended tank that is 175 I believe. If I were buying a boat new, I'd have that put in. Unfortunately it means you can't have the oversized fish hold like we have. Trade offs. Not sure about Sea Raider.

We bought used and saved tens of thousands . . . but there aren't any for sale used that I can find right now. The only thing I can say about an investment like this is that they hold value pretty well if you take care of them. I don't see them going down much any time soon . . .

Chass
ct
Old 12-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #23
Chass
Sturgeon

You could always go used and shoot lower on your price with something like this. Seems like a really good deal. Are you planning on staying in the boat?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/bod/5871615479.html
Old 12-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #24
Irishrover
Tuna!

Quote:
I was getting cold feet when we bought the Duckworth, but heck it was nothing compared to the buyers remorse....just kidding......love the Duck. I told my wife it's like investing in precious metals "Marine grade Aluminum". I did name it after her to help seal the deal. I think she is more embarrassed then pleased about that. When I kick the bucket she told me she could burn me in it like the old Vikings. Had to tell her that's not going to work to well in that marine grade aluminum boat. She is just going to have to sell it or find a new captain.

Last edited by Irishrover; 12-13-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Irishrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #25
Salmonater
Tuna!

Quote:
For what it's worth I have towed my 9' 6" wide glass boat all over Oregon and Washington without a sign or permit . . . never had an issue.

Chass
ct
Until your involved in a wreck, permits are easy to get and inexpensive.
Salmonater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #26
Threeweight
Tuna!

Raider was started by a former Hewescraft guy. Many of their hulls are Hewes clones with a little less fit and finish (not that Hewes is the cat's meow there) and a cheaper price. I am not familiar with their Sea Raider line, but I'd want to compare to the Hewes Pacific Explorer and Cruiser models if you are looking at that price range. When I compared their 2284 hull to the Hewes Ocean Pro 220, I went with the Hewes.

Duckworth is a high end builder, Raider is a price point builder.

I'd wait til the boat shows come round, and hit the Seattle show at the end of January. If you want high end, compare the Duckworth with North River, Boulton, and the Canadian builders (like Silver Streak). I'd throw in the new Stabicraft 2500 as well.

If you want a well built price-point boat, compare the Raider to Hewescraft, Weldcraft, Kingfisher.
Threeweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:08 AM   #27
Sallysea
Steelhead

Y marine has a 2015 28' Duckworth that is technically a used boat. The listed price is pretty steep but you might want to talk. boat has been for sale for a while.
Sallysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:54 AM   #28
Chass
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonater View Post
Until your involved in a wreck, permits are easy to get and inexpensive.
I respectfully disagree. The permit process is broken IMO. You can get a permit for towing in Oregon for a year but only on certain roads. The other permit that you must have is good for a week. So I'd have to get two different permits to tow in Oregon. One is yearly and the other I'd have to go down to the DMV and wait in line to get the permit EVERY TIME I TOWED THE BOAT. Then it's an entirely different process when I towed in Washington and I couldn't tow during certain hours. Typically those hours overlapped with my trip times somewhere. (not that I ever want to tow in rush hour traffic) So I'd have to apply by mail or drive to a Washington DMV to get my permit before my trip.

I made a conscious decision not get get any permits and not to use a wide load sign so that I wasn't on the radar. So no, I don't agree that the permits are easy to get. Inexpensive maybe but having a permit doesn't make you any safer. I think that permitting system is difficult and of little purpose for towing recreational trailers. This is just my opinion having done the research.

Edit: Someone pointed out to me that the fault of an accident is independant of your permit status. Your permit status is not admisable in court and not relevant. Your insurance covers you either way.

Chass
ct

Last edited by Chass; 12-14-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Chass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #29
Salmonater
Tuna!

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. The permit process is broken IMO. You can get a permit for towing in Oregon for a year but only on certain roads. The other permit that you must have is good for a week. So I'd have to get two different permits to tow in Oregon. One is yearly and the other I'd have to go down to the DMV and wait in line to get the permit EVERY TIME I TOWED THE BOAT. Then it's an entirely different process when I towed in Washington and I couldn't tow during certain hours. Typically those hours overlapped with my trip times somewhere. (not that I ever want to tow in rush hour traffic) So I'd have to apply by mail or drive to a Washington DMV to get my permit before my trip.

I made a conscious decision not get get any permits and not to use a wide load sign so that I wasn't on the radar. So no, I don't agree that the permits are easy to get. Inexpensive maybe but having a permit doesn't make you any safer. I think that permitting system is difficult and of little purpose for towing recreational trailers. This is just my opinion having done the research.

Edit: Someone pointed out to me that the fault of an accident is independant of your permit status. Your permit status is not admisable in court and not relevant. Your insurance covers you either way.

Chass
ct
First off, I'm not trying to start anything, just want to be educated here. I got a permit for Oregon when I towed my boat up from North River, and only got the one permit, and was told I was good to go, with the exception of construction closures that the state provided to me.

I tow in Washington all the time, and I believe your mistaken on towing only at certain times. If the towed item is less than 11', the the only restrictions are in construction zones, and are usally for boats over 10'.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #30
Chass
Sturgeon

Quote:
First off, I'm not trying to start anything, just want to be educated here. I got a permit for Oregon when I towed my boat up from North River, and only got the one permit, and was told I was good to go, with the exception of construction closures that the state provided to me.

I tow in Washington all the time, and I believe your mistaken on towing only at certain times. If the towed item is less than 11', the the only restrictions are in construction zones, and are usally for boats over 10'.
No worries, I just don't want to be painted as the irresponsible non thinker who tows his rust bucket trailer up I5 at 90 mph with no license plate, bald tires and a beat up truck missing 8 lug nuts

I've read and read about those laws and I've been stopped multiple times towing oversize loads and received zero citations. I personally believe it's more about safety than anything else.

You are probably right about the Washington laws. It just doesn't matter to me as long as I'm insured and doing everything I can to tow safely.

Chass
ct
Old 12-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #31
Meanwhile
Ifish Nate

Last edited by Meanwhile; 12-14-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Meanwhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #32
FireHead
Tuna!

Quote:

He is correct with regard to pretty much everything in Oregon.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #33
Kimbrey
Steelhead

I have the 26' Duckworth.
It has a single 300 hp motor on it. Wish I had the twin 200's which I think would help the fore/aft trim of the boat. IE the water would drain better when the boat is at rest.

Skimming all the replies I haven't noticed any mention about the fish hold in the deck. The Duck's is fairly large but most important it's insulated. I feel it's quite a benefit if you will tuna fish the boat. I've had 41 very well iced tuna in it. Slushing the ice it would probably fit more if you want.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #34
panheadsully
Steelhead

Curious as to why you haven't considered a glass boat? If you are using it primarily for Ocean fishing, there is no doubt that the glass will outperform. Glass boats of course are much heavier, but because of that, handle the water so much better. In addition, you don't have near as much problems with CORROSION!

If trailering every once in awhile, I would get the oversize permit and get the WIDEST BEAM POSSIBLE. That makes a huge difference on fishability and breathing room.

If you are fishing the river as well, then yes Aluminum is a great solution, but I would consider a glass boat for primarily fishing the Ocean.

You could look at:
Parkers, Steigercraft, Ocean Bounty, etc...

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by panheadsully; 12-16-2016 at 09:30 AM.
panheadsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:49 AM   #35
yjay
Cutthroat

My fishing partner recently bought a 2012 28' Duckworth Offshore. Twin Yamaha 225's and a 9.9 kicker. Garmin electronics with radar, diesel heater, rear helm, upgraded fuel capacity, pretty much everything you can get I believe. The build price in 2012 was 260k, including the electronics with Yamaha command link. He was dead set on Duckworth because he believes the name equals resale value, which may have a lot of merit. It is without a doubt the nicest built aluminum boat I've ever been on. Every detail has been well thought out. If money were no object, and one isn't having a fully custom boat built, it's tough to beat. If money is an object, as it would be for me, I'd look elsewhere. He saved almost a hundred grand buying used, but that's about the price of other brands new boats, give or take. If it were me, I'd take a hard look at Thunderjet and Kingfisher. But I will say, Duckworth has been really good to him. They allowed him to buy a 5 year hull warranty and are very helpful with any questions. And his will be going back to Duckworth for run rails and bow and stern thrusters.
yjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #36
yjay
Cutthroat

Ps. It burns 16 gallons per hour at 32mph, rides beautifully, and tops out at 53mph at wot. It burns an obscene amount of fuel at that speed, but it sure is impressive to see a boat that big go that fast. I have no other aluminum cuddy boats to compare it to from personal experience, but I don't know what else a guy could ask for, other than a lower sticker price.
yjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #37
budnate
Tuna!

Have you seen this one yet?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/5912696452.html
budnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #38
Wet dreams
Cutthroat

I have not ruled out glass but I got wore out waxing, de-oxidizing my last new
one which was new in 1993. By they way still looks good.
Not to offend any one we really didn't like the feel of kingfishers.
Still looking hard part is over wife has said what she likes.
Now if I go new do I have dealer do electronics or go to Portland?
Radar, gps, radios, auto-piolet, ff, fuel management unless I go dec controls.
Any thing I missed?
Thanks
Old 12-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #39
Timber Tech
Ifish Nate

Meh, glass boats are for east coasters! can't handle the rough NW ocean.

Depends where you are buying your boat but i wouldn't suggest dealer electronics from the ones I know. Have Hotwire (here on Ifish) or Portland Marine Electronics do the work.

Whats your budget? That could really help you get the advise you are looking for.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #40
steelhead_fishn
Steelhead

Default Duck worth 26 or sea raider 2696

Neither. Go with a North River!

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by steelhead_fishn; 12-17-2016 at 07:06 PM.
steelhead_fishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:54 PM   #41
Salmonater
Tuna!

I second that.
The other Jeff.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #42
Aleutian
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeweight View Post
Raider was started by a former Hewescraft guy. Many of their hulls are Hewes clones with a little less fit and finish (not that Hewes is the cat's meow there) and a cheaper price. I am not familiar with their Sea Raider line, but I'd want to compare to the Hewes Pacific Explorer and Cruiser models if you are looking at that price range. When I compared their 2284 hull to the Hewes Ocean Pro 220, I went with the Hewes.

Duckworth is a high end builder, Raider is a price point builder.

I'd wait til the boat shows come round, and hit the Seattle show at the end of January. If you want high end, compare the Duckworth with North River, Boulton, and the Canadian builders (like Silver Streak). I'd throw in the new Stabicraft 2500 as well.

If you want a well built price-point boat, compare the Raider to Hewescraft, Weldcraft, Kingfisher.
Threeweight, sounds like you've been listening to too many salesmen... The owner of Raider actually ran the Hewescraft factory for the founder, not the sons. He left when the sons began to take over. It's also common for salesmen to spew info and say that he ripped them off and took their designs. Mike actually worked for Hewes before they ever were welding boats, so that thought is... not so correct. He started building the Raiders in 1989 or so if I remember correctly. Before that he also started another aluminum boat company from what I recall him telling me.

I should also add, Raider came out with their first Cuddy Cabin boat with the forward raking windshield in 1993 (?), either way If I recall the only game around doing that boat style was Almar. If you take the time and meet Mike and look at the build you'll notice he's a smaller family builder and builds a very structurally sound boat. I've personally been on the 2696 and I loved how it handled. It was rigged with twin 150's and I would love the opportunity to run/own one with twin 200's like the OP is looking at. Also, lumping Boulton into the mix of "High End" is a stretch. I should also add that Weldcraft is built on the same jigs as a Duck with less standard features, so if you clump it with Raider, Hewes, etc. you might as well throw duckworth there as well.

In Reference to the OP, there is a lot to say about amenities. There is no doubt Duckworth makes a beautiful boat but you're also paying for the name and the cost or body work and finish. I'm a die hard fishing guy, so the pretty paint isn't important to me and I liked the Vinyl sides that can easily be replaced. I think most Columbia River guides would agree with me.

The permit for over width is not a big deal at all, people make a big deal out of it but its not and towing the Raider wont feel any different than the Duck but I did notice a difference in the fishing room in the back.

I also read you mentioned it's a 15k upgrade to 200's for the Duck. Did the duck come equipped with all the same major options as the Raider? They're more proud of those boats than a 15k price swing. I'm not sure where you're from but I'm in the PDX area and I saw the dealer in Portland had a smoking deal on a 26 Raider, not sure how it's rigged but its worth a look.

Last edited by Aleutian; 12-18-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Aleutian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #43
FireHead
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by budnate View Post
That's a good looking boat!
Old 12-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #44
yeep740
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleutian View Post

I also read you mentioned it's a 15k upgrade to 200's for the Duck. Did the duck come equipped with all the same major options as the Raider? They're more proud of those boats than a 15k price swing. I'm not sure where you're from but I'm in the PDX area and I saw the dealer in Portland had a smoking deal on a 26 Raider, not sure how it's rigged but its worth a look.
That boat with the new yami 200's (drive by wire) is $129,995.00 + a $5k rebate.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bod/5873489872.html

About the same price:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bod/5888492905.html

Just for Giggles:

$118,000 w/ twin yami 200's but mechanical controls

http://www.clemensmarina.com/details.php?id=1830

Last edited by yeep740; 12-20-2016 at 02:16 PM.
yeep740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #45
Threeweight
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleutian View Post
Threeweight, sounds like you've been listening to too many salesmen...
We all have our opinions. I cross shopped a lot of different models, including Raider, when I made my purchase. I ended up in a different place than you did in terms of my conclusions on their fit and finish, and relative bang for the buck.
Threeweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:09 PM   #46
Aleutian
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeweight View Post
We all have our opinions. I cross shopped a lot of different models, including Raider, when I made my purchase. I ended up in a different place than you did in terms of my conclusions on their fit and finish, and relative bang for the buck.
That's 100% fine and expected. The fact of the matter is if you ask 10 different boaters what the best boat is we all know we'll get 10 different answers. My reference in that statement was about Raider and where they come from. You said exactly what many salesmen tried to tell me about Raider. I was spewed the spiel that Mike left Hewes and ripped off all their models and started building boats just like them but without the nicer finish. I decided to go straight to the sources and I wanted to be sure I didn't support someone with that business mindset. After meeting with Mike and doing my research I came to the conclusion that I was being lied to, quite thoroughly might I add. Not surprising I suppose. I also refuse to do business with someone that flat out lies to me and since it was the common statement from multiple dealers I can only assume that comes from the factory.

I also found that my dollar went further with the Raider. I'm a saltwater fishermen and foam was also my concern so the other deal killer for me with most of these brands was the foam they use. Raider, oddly enough was the only one with flotation but not the shot in foam, I forget the technical name.

anyways, I'm sure you love your boat no different than I love mine. That wasn't at all my intent in my comment. I'm a business owner and if someone passes an untruthful message about me to steal business then I wish them the worst of luck.
Aleutian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #47
hot wire

I've done quite a few installs on these boats. There is a night vs day difference in fit and finish (as well as design engineering) between some of these boats.

My opinion is this. The Duck and the North River OS (similarly equipped) are the top of the heap. Class A, period.

The Weldcraft and the Kingfisher are second. As well as a stripped North River OS.

Finally you have the Hewescraft and Raider bring up the rear.

I have yet to see a stripped version of a Duckworth. (named a Duckworth) They are NEVER stripped version of themselves.

I have seen the Weldcraft version (as a whole) is the Duck, stepped down, but on purpose. Nothing wrong with it! Its just less money and more simplistic inside and a few outside changes too.

The North River offshore is similar to both above. Except its all in the way you buy them. They don't offer two tiers luck DW. They are just NR. So, based on how you buy them, THAT's going to separate them. Have you ever seen how many build plans they offer?

Kingfisher boats. They are just different. A TON of carpet. I really don't love carpet. (thats a personal thing) To me, they seemed like a "pretty" boat. I often wondered if you ripped out the carpet if it seemed more like a Raider or Hewes. I can't see them as a real rough & tumble ocean boat,.....certainly not like the NR Offshore or DW/WC. Just my opinion. But I will say they ride REALLY nice and interiors are beautiful. Again, its how you buy them.

The Hewes/Raider boats are very very utilitarian. Nothing wrong with that. But, I would pay attention to WEIGHT. I have seen the push from both builders to step themselves up to a better class of boat. (Self-proclaimed) But, basically they are just different versions of their old selves. Hard to take seriously after 100,000.00 To me, they will always be a "value" boat.

I have been a huge proponent to never buy new. I will never change that belief. So, to me, you either spend under 100k, or buy way more than a 100K. I personally believe the best way to buy is this. Settle on the boat you want. You need to decide on a budget and model...THEN, be smart enough to know what a good buy is when you see it, then LOOK HARD FOR IT.

http://www.oregoncme.com
hot wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #48
FireHead
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot wire View Post
I've done quite a few installs on these boats. There is a night vs day difference in fit and finish (as well as design engineering) between some of these boats.

My opinion is this. The Duck and the North River OS (similarly equipped) are the top of the heap. Class A, period.

The Weldcraft and the Kingfisher are second. As well as a stripped North River OS.

Finally you have the Hewescraft and Raider bring up the rear.

I have yet to see a stripped version of a Duckworth. (named a Duckworth) They are NEVER stripped version of themselves.

I have seen the Weldcraft version (as a whole) is the Duck, stepped down, but on purpose. Nothing wrong with it! Its just less money and more simplistic inside and a few outside changes too.

The North River offshore is similar to both above. Except its all in the way you buy them. They don't offer two tiers luck DW. They are just NR. So, based on how you buy them, THAT's going to separate them. Have you ever seen how many build plans they offer?

Kingfisher boats. They are just different. A TON of carpet. I really don't love carpet. (thats a personal thing) To me, they seemed like a "pretty" boat. I often wondered if you ripped out the carpet if it seemed more like a Raider or Hewes. I can't see them as a real rough & tumble ocean boat,.....certainly not like the NR Offshore or DW/WC. Just my opinion. But I will say they ride REALLY nice and interiors are beautiful. Again, its how you buy them.

The Hewes/Raider boats are very very utilitarian. Nothing wrong with that. But, I would pay attention to WEIGHT. I have seen the push from both builders to step themselves up to a better class of boat. (Self-proclaimed) But, basically they are just different versions of their old selves. Hard to take seriously after 100,000.00 To me, they will always be a "value" boat.

I have been a huge proponent to never buy new. I will never change that belief. So, to me, you either spend under 100k, or buy way more than a 100K. I personally believe the best way to buy is this. Settle on the boat you want. You need to decide on a budget and model...THEN, be smart enough to know what a good buy is when you see it, then LOOK HARD FOR IT.
You need to come for a ride on Hillbilly. Recent manufacture Kingfishers get it done and nicer on the inside that DW or NR.

I think the DWN and NR boats are basically direct competitors to new Kingfishers.

The Weldcraft, Raider, and Hewes are less expensive, because there is less material and labor in them. Good for the price point, but certainly not a premium, heavy gauge, offshore boat.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #49
nook of the north
Steelhead

Pacific Skiff or Koffler

http://www.pacificskiffs.com/2800/28wa.php

http://kofflerboats.com/offshores/
nook of the north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #50
Duckworth Dave
Steelhead

doh Re: Duck worth 26 or sea raider 2696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Tech View Post
Meh, glass boats are for east coasters! can't handle the rough NW ocean.

Depends where you are buying your boat but i wouldn't suggest dealer electronics from the ones I know. Have Hotwire (here on Ifish) or Portland Marine Electronics do the work.

Whats your budget? That could really help you get the advise you are looking for.
Glass boats ride much better than metal because of the weight. I've owned 4 Duckworth's and they make a nice jet boat but for the ocean bigger and heaver are best. I'm on the 3rd tuna boat and bigger & heavier is best for sure.
Duckworth Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #51
Foreel
Tuna!

Buy a new Parker and forget the loud tin can..or buy a used Parker from back east for half the price..
Foreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #52
Salmonater
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckworth Dave View Post
Glass boats ride much better than metal because of the weight. I've owned 4 Duckworth's and they make a nice jet boat but for the ocean bigger and heaver are best. I'm on the 3rd tuna boat and bigger & heavier is best for sure.
If it was that simple, everyone would own a glass boat.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #53
FireHead
Tuna!

Quote:
If it was that simple, everyone would own a glass boat.
My decision came down to a Grady Marlin 300 or a Kingfisher 3025..... The boat with the house won. Most of the other aluminum mfg.'s were missing something or another, save Norvelle or Armstrong.

Glass is a nice and you sit higher in an open cockpit sportfisher, but they are more maintenance and your are in the elements in some for or another all the time.

The aluminum guys that actually have an engineering dept. or also build commercial boats have an edge over some of the other aluminum welders out there.

Parkers have too small of house for my liking and the Ducks or NR's are pretty Spartan inside (plus some design stuff I don't like). Weldcraft, Hewes, and Raiders have reduced a lot of things to obtain a lower price point.

The reality is that they will all do what you want. You just need to find the boat that fit your budget and makes you smile when you sit in it.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #54
RiverJohn
King Salmon

OK, wrap this one up!!! (I wish!) A beauty!

Old 12-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #55
Foreel
Tuna!

If maintenence is the issue with the hull..That paint is a PITA. if you're buying a boat that size. The thought would most likely be leaving in the water some of the time..So you better hope your neighbor at the dock isn't hot..or someone around you isn't hot..once the corrosion starts it's hard to stop. Once you notice it's a problem it's to late..or you really got to get at it..As I get older comfort is becoming more of an issue too..For a trailer boat..having a big boat is great but speed for going 60 plus miles offshore is a problem if you can't stay the night..Most of the time lately our windows for fishing are small. When I went big I had dreams of running from nor cal to Washington but how many times do all weather sectors line up at the same time so one can make the run in reasonable time..and cost of fuel and having to stop at multiple ports on a trip like that for fuel..So you can really take advantage of being offshore all the way up..I like the thought of the biggest towable boat but, then you need folks as a crew to run and launch the boat..as we get older it's harder to do all these things alone..etc...So I decided on keeping the big boat in a slip in my home port which I didn't use much last year with restrictions and weather..and buy a 2320 sl parker again to tow..I can launch and run by myself if I have to. It's easy to tow and much bigger than other boats that call themselves 23...Now as I prepare for tax time I'm looking at the expense side and questioning my whole program..So where I'm going with all this rambling is...There probably isn't a right or wrong answer..it's really what you can live with..what you can afford..and where are we going fishing wise with regulation and how much time on the water are you really gonna get..I'm really thinking of spending more of my time in MX. Where I can fish year round for something and be in a tank top and shorts..Good luck on whatever you decide..It will be the right decision for YOU.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #56
shotgunskeeter
Fry

Need to throw this in as food for thought. Hate to see a guy settle.
Attached Images

shotgunskeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #57
hot wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHead View Post
My decision came down to a Grady Marlin 300 or a Kingfisher 3025..... The boat with the house won. Most of the other aluminum mfg.'s were missing something or another, save Norvelle or Armstrong.

Glass is a nice and you sit higher in an open cockpit sportfisher, but they are more maintenance and your are in the elements in some for or another all the time.

The aluminum guys that actually have an engineering dept. or also build commercial boats have an edge over some of the other aluminum welders out there.

Parkers have too small of house for my liking and the Ducks or NR's are pretty Spartan inside (plus some design stuff I don't like). Weldcraft, Hewes, and Raiders have reduced a lot of things to obtain a lower price point.

The reality is that they will all do what you want. You just need to find the boat that fit your budget and makes you smile when you sit in it.
I love the weight of my Armstrong. Boat and trailer is right at about 10,000 lbs. I should weigh about 7,500 lbs!

Now, go look at what a 26 Duckworth weighs....you will be surprised.

http://www.oregoncme.com

Last edited by hot wire; 12-24-2016 at 02:49 PM.
hot wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:58 PM   #58
Salmonater
Tuna!

My 31' NR weighs in at 15,500.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #59
backlash442
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot wire View Post
I love the weight of my Armstrong. Boat and trailer is right at about 10,000 lbs. I should weigh about 7,500 lbs!

Now, go look at what a 26 Duckworth weighs....you will be surprised.

I think many people assume that because it's alum. it'll be lighter than a glass boat. Not always the case. My Wooldridge is a couple hundred pounds heavier than a Defiance that is a foot longer. About the same weight as a Parker in the same size.

As to the OP, think about if you want to have anything custom. Will the builder be willing to do what you want? Some will and some won't. Then you need to find out what their after service is like. Because no boat is perfect when you get it home. How far will the builder go to keep you happy? Again, some will and some won't.
backlash442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:35 PM   #60
Foreel
Tuna!

Some boats like Parker are measured water line at the bow to waterline at the stern..defiance is overall length I think...when you buy your boat..get a tape measure out and find out what they are calling a 26...is it a 26 or really less than 23? There are many different builders measuring different was..Check close..