Old Storm Wiggle Warts - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 12-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
EULACHON
Tuna!

Default Old Storm Wiggle Warts

Seems like there was an older more sought after version of these.....is this the case??

Any Value in the older ones??

Thanks all

EULACHON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Lure Dragger
Chromer

Default Re: Old Storm Wiggle Warts

The old storm wiggle warts are pretty hard to find anymore. I have about 800 of the old ones still new in the box that I have collected over the years. Some of them are vert hard to come by. Depends on which ones that you have as to what their value is. And then of course it depends on if you are buying or selling.

CCA MEMBER
Lure Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
fyshndad
King Salmon

OK I will bite

I would buy if you are selling

WILL FISH FOR GAS

Sleep is for people that don't know how to fish!
Making "MEMORIES" one day at a time

I am retired "Who wants to go fishing??"
fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
ICHTHYDEMON
Ifish Nate

How can you tell the new from old?
ICHTHYDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
fyshndad
King Salmon

for one it doesn't say brads on them

WILL FISH FOR GAS

Sleep is for people that don't know how to fish!
Making "MEMORIES" one day at a time

I am retired "Who wants to go fishing??"
fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
cosmo
Ifish Nate

There's been quite a trade in the old Wiggle Warts, sometimes going for more than $100 each for some key colors. With the reintroduction of the Original Series Warts--it'll be interesting to see if those prices hold.
There was a common misconception out there that Brad's somehow "bought" the original molds. Actually, he just took an original lure and had it knocked off. The owner of the molds, after admittedly screwing up a great lure, ios back in the game which might pull some value from the older lures.
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
ICHTHYDEMON
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshndad View Post
for one it doesn't say brads on them
None of mine are the Brads Wigglers. IIRC there are two versions of the Wiggle Wart.
ICHTHYDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
RiverDog
Steelhead

The old ones fish... the new ones... eh... not as good. I'm sure that's debatable somewhat, but kind of seems the deal with me.

The old ones have a duller finish on them.
RiverDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:19 PM   #9
Lure Dragger
Chromer

The original series storm lures you can buy off the shelf aren't the same as the older storm lures. In fact, I was told that Brad's makes the original series that you can buy in stores. Storm sold out to Rapala.

CCA MEMBER
Lure Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
cosmo
Ifish Nate

Storm sold to Rapala. Brad knocked off Storm. Rapala reintroduces Original Wiggle Wart---which they bought and own. The Original Series Wiggle Wart is the original Wiggle Wart.
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #11
EULACHON
Tuna!

So if someoneone came across a few dozen of these new in the pack (Old stock) what would be the best method to put a value on them to sell assuming someone had a few dozen new in the pack..... All hypothetical and all.

Can't put um on the fishing board without a price and don't have a clue of what that should be.

Paul
EULACHON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #12
TooDrunkToFish
Tuna!

So, what I am getting out of all this is:

1. The "Original Series" that is sold in store shelves now is NOT as effective catching fish or is otherwise inferior to the old style (original warts); and

2. The "Original Series" that is sold in stores now will not necessarily reduce the price/value of the old style warts.

Is that correct?

I (if I am still alive) or my baby daughter am going to one day take my old style warts to an Antiques Roadshow 40 years from now.
TooDrunkToFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #13
TooDrunkToFish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EULACHON View Post
So if someoneone came across a few dozen of these new in the pack (Old stock) what would be the best method to put a value on them to sell assuming someone had a few dozen new in the pack..... All hypothetical and all.

Can't put um on the fishing board without a price and don't have a clue of what that should be.

Paul

check ebay first to see what they are selling at, as a starter
TooDrunkToFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
Starfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooDrunkToFish View Post
So, what I am getting out of all this is:

1. The "Original Series" that is sold in store shelves now is NOT as effective catching fish or is otherwise inferior to the old style (original warts); and

2. The "Original Series" that is sold in stores now will not necessarily reduce the price/value of the old style warts.

Is that correct?

I (if I am still alive) or my baby daughter am going to one day take my old style warts to an Antiques Roadshow 40 years from now.
Actually I've had fairly good luck on the new "original series" warts. I believe the mold is the same as the "old" original ones, which I thankfully still have a grocery sack full of. But the wire and parts on the new ones seem wimpier than the old ones, so you have to be more careful when tuning. Some of the paint colors are inferior to the old ones, but on the other hand they have a few new colors that are outstanding and will hold their own with any wart.

I don't think you're going to start a college fund with a box of old warts, but on the other hand they're sure worth hanging on to. Unless, of course, you have some chartreuse lime green herringbone ones in which case you should get rid of them right away by sending them to me.
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #15
skrimmy
Ifish Nate

I've been known to collect a few of the old Storm warts.
Here's a "set" of all their old standard colors plus some of the "SP" Special Colors.

Sure, the "Original Series" sold today by Rapala might be the same "mold" as the OLD Storm company originals, the quality is NOT NEAR that of the originals. Sure, they'll catch fish. As good as the real originals, I think not.

Rapala only makes a small handful of the original colors, and many of those tend to be bass or walleye catching colors than steelhead/salmon. They've recently released some funky color schemes that were NEVER made in the originals. The new "Original Series" are made in China, if that tells you anything about their quality. The paint job on them STINKS.

For those wondering how to tell a "REAL" original - those are stamped "wiggle wart" under the lip. The new garbage sold says "Storm" or nothing at all.

Lucky for me, I've still got a few hundred of the older originals to fish so don't have to use the junk from China.

skrimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #16
HarpMan
Steelhead

Skrimmy... Very impresive!

23' Pacific City Koffler Dory "Beer Can"
Proprietor of Fishless Charters Inc.
HarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #17
cotalot
Tuna!

Skirmy, come down out of the clouds. Those old plugs won't catch anything!

I'll P/M you with my address. Send'em this way and I'll get rid of them for you. Oh don't worry, it'll be in an environmentally friendly way.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:56 PM   #18
slabhunter
Sturgeon

I believe the older lures made in OK had a lower pitch to the rattle.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #19
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

all the bodies are/were made overseas, mainly in china, I think theres more collector value in the box/advertising
Fish_N_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #20
stlhdr1
Sturgeon

They all fish the same, if you don't beleive so your imagination and confidence level may need a check....

Keith:blush:
stlhdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #21
skrimmy
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_N_Russ View Post
all the bodies are/were made overseas, mainly in china, I think theres more collector value in the box/advertising
Not sure where you got that info but it's half wrong. They're made in China now, but before Storm got bought they were NOT made in China.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #22
stlhdr1
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrimmy View Post
Not sure where you got that info but it's half wrong. They're made in China now, but before Storm got bought they were NOT made in China.
Does it matter? They still wiggle the same. Right??

Keith
Old 12-02-2006, 11:40 PM   #23
skrimmy
Ifish Nate

Well, I guess with that logic, then Ultimate Egg Cure will fish the same as Guide's Choice too then, right? After all, eggs is eggs, right? And let's cure all eggs the same color because that doesn't matter, right? Of course not!

Well there IS a difference between the old Storm warts and the new ones. Will the new ones catch fish? Sure. As well as the old ones? Not a chance. Heck, even Guides Choice eggs catch fish too, right? As well as Ultimate Egg Cure?

The older warts had a different sound to the rattles, and besides a far wider range of killer, PROVEN colors that aren't made any more, they DO pull straighter out of the box. The hardware was much better than they use on either Brads or new style warts. That's FACT. Would I have more confidence fishing the older ones over the new? Heck yes, in a heartbeat.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:35 AM   #24
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

the plastic bodies for almost all hard baits are made overseas, its been that way for a while. They might be assembled here but many components are imported.
Fish_N_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #25
joemomma
Ifish Nate

Skrimmy, you have some isuue's, I wish I had them

Fish long, Fish hard, and always fish with your kids and your Labrador

Been farther up a pole than you have been away from home kid!

JOIN CCA
joemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:45 AM   #26
skrimmy
Ifish Nate

Joemamma - Issues? Oh heck, I've got too many to count!

Russ - Sure, today I have no doubt that much of what you're buying on the tackle isle's was produced offshore. Corporate greed and demand to have a huge bottom line has obviously changed the way business is done these days. But in the earlier days of Storm Lures (and many others) it was that way.

Another ifisher (who may eventually read this thread and chime in) runs a website for "vintagestormlures" (you fill in www and .com part!). And you say I have issues! He's got a section on there about the history of Storm Lures. Much of his info comes direct from Dave Storm himself. I hardly think that in the 60's, 70's and 80's when Storms best products were produced they were dealing with "offshore" parts. As you can read below, from Dave Storm's own words, "molding continued in Norman Oklahoma until August 2000" Here's a small cut and paste from the "history" link on his site:

The Storm Lure Company was started by two brothers in 1964, which were joined by a third brother a few years later, in Norman, Oklahoma. The family business began very small, which was followed by the successful introductions of various other baits that we have become so accustomed to over the years. As time went on, new colors and styles were added as production increased exponentially before the company was sold to Rapala in January 1999 when sales and profits were at an all time high. It was simply the ‘right time’ for the brothers to sale the company and retire.
The business was run very ‘old style,’ making their own molds and prototypes themselves and even building the production plant themselves. Some of the production was moved to Mexico in the late 1980’s, which took years before the plant was fully operational however; the plant never produced 100% of the lures and some production remained at the Norman, Oklahoma plant. This was approximately the time (1989) when the labels were changed from red to blue. The change was simply just that, a change. All inventory, stock, equipment and molds were shipped to Minnetonka, Minnesota in spring 1999 after the sale to Rapala. Molding continued in Oklahoma until August 2000. Thus, the lures marked with Rapala’s Minnetonka address would be the last lures made of the original style by Storm.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:03 AM   #27
SalmonJeff
Sturgeon

when ever I think of skrimmy that pic pops up in my mind very impressive and that is only a dot on the map of all the plugs he has !! dont get him started on tad's!!

so bob when going over to pull some of those old beat up worthless plugs around

If it ain't 40 inches it probably ain't 20 lbs.
SalmonJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:11 AM   #28
No Wishin Just Fishin
Ifish Nate

Bob has fished with me in many places in my boat and His. I am pondering a new boat 4 feet longer just to accomadate His plugs when we take my boat. It usually takes 4 trips to His truck to carry all the boxes of color to my boat They do catch fish tho

Last edited by No Wishin Just Fishin; 12-03-2006 at 10:13 AM.
No Wishin Just Fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #29
wind troller
Chromer

We've fished Warts and Mag Warts for years, the Brads seem to be the same as the old warts, action and all, Brads has a few different patterns and things, but pretty much the same. The Wiggles went through a weird phase, glue on bills, not the same action, etc. Now the new wiggles are the same as before, man am I glad.....cause I don't have a collection like skrimmy's... You rock.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #30
ginger1977
Chromer

So this may come as good news, but I think Rapala went back to making the orignal Wiggle wart. Claims they have original moulds and blahzy blahzy. In the first picture the Pink Wart is the style after Rapala bought out Storm. The one next to it is the claimed new back to the old mould style, the one above that is a Brad's Magnum Wiggler, and above that a Yakima Bait Fat Fish. You can definately see simularities. The Brad's and new original wart look identical except for eyeball style. I apologize for not having an old orignal wart to compare too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140511_104348894.jpg (23.2 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140511_104232552.jpg (24.9 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140511_104413663.jpg (23.6 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140511_104554956.jpg (42.5 KB, 510 views)
Old 05-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #31
tile guy
Steelhead

Does this qualify for the oldest thread re-opened
tile guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:10 AM   #32
eyeFISH
King Salmon

The true original Warts and the Brads knockoffs have put plenty of fish in my boat…. steel, kings, silvers, pinks…. and even the odd chum and sockeye.

The clear-billed Rapala ones were pretty much worthless.

The "new" originals (oxymoron) I have no experience with.

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #33
Siwash
Ifish Nate

What's this about the 'New Originals'? Sorry, can't help myself...

Garden Interview I
Marty: Let's...uh talk a little bit about the history of the group. I understand Nigel you and David originally started the band wuh...back in...when was it...back in 1964?
David: Well before that we were in different groups, I was in a group called The Creatures and-- which was a skiffle group.
Nigel: I was in Lovely Lads.
David: Yeah.
Nigel: And then we looked at each other and says well we might as well join up you know and uh....
David: So we became The Originals.
Nigel: Right.
David: And we had to change our name actually....
Nigel: Well there was, there was another group in the East End called The Originals and we had to rename ourselves.
David: The New Originals.
Nigel: The New Originals and then, uh, they became....
David: The Regulars, they changed their name back to The Regulars and we thought well, we could go back to The Originals but what's the point?
Nigel: We became The Thamesmen at that point.
Siwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #34
tsorrels
Ifish Nate

I'm gonna stop collectin pee wee warts and start collecting wiggle warts
tsorrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #35
stlhdr1
Sturgeon

I have hundreds of each size all the way up through the mag warts, all originals... They bring good money on ebay. Stuff I bought for 2.49-3.99 brings $7-14 a piece now...

Keith
Old 05-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #36
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwash View Post
What's this about the 'New Originals'? Sorry, can't help myself...

Garden Interview I
Marty: Let's...uh talk a little bit about the history of the group. I understand Nigel you and David originally started the band wuh...back in...when was it...back in 1964?
David: Well before that we were in different groups, I was in a group called The Creatures and-- which was a skiffle group.
Nigel: I was in Lovely Lads.
David: Yeah.
Nigel: And then we looked at each other and says well we might as well join up you know and uh....
David: So we became The Originals.
Nigel: Right.
David: And we had to change our name actually....
Nigel: Well there was, there was another group in the East End called The Originals and we had to rename ourselves.
David: The New Originals.
Nigel: The New Originals and then, uh, they became....
David: The Regulars, they changed their name back to The Regulars and we thought well, we could go back to The Originals but what's the point?
Nigel: We became The Thamesmen at that point.
Yes but the drummer for The New Originals spontaneously combusted.

(Bonus points to Siwash for bringing in a Spinal Tap reference)
Old 05-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #37
ginger1977
Chromer

Some people get real touchy when you bring up old stuff, so me being a fry and before I just randomly asked a question that's been asked a gazillion times, I searched the archives. I just thought people might think the comparison photos might prove helpful. Especially FNGs...
Old 05-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #38
tile guy
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger1977 View Post
Some people get real touchy when you bring up old stuff, so me being a fry and before I just randomly asked a question that's been asked a gazillion times, I searched the archives. I just thought people might think the comparison photos might prove helpful. Especially FNGs...
Sorry ginger 1977 for being a smart aleck I was wrong for that comment. BTW I have quite the assortment of old Wees and Wiggles thanks to my dads obesesion with them. He used to pound the winter run on the Klaskenie above the riffles back in the day. His go to was the pirate
tile guy is offline   Reply With Quote