German Shorthaired Pointer/ Weimaraner mix - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 11-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
gottafish
King Salmon

Default German Shorthaired Pointer/ Weimaraner mix

So I know this guy whos got mixed pups and he's asking $250.00 for them. Does this seam steep to you for a mix?

gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2006, 12:39 AM   #2
Limbhanger
Sturgeon

Default Re: German Shorthaired Pointer/ Weimaraner mix

Seems high to me for a mix. They get a thousand for those labradoodle things though, so maybe Im just a dummy.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:46 AM   #3
gottafish
King Salmon

Yea I thought it was way high also. I mean I can see 50 bucks but come on!! 250??
Old 11-05-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
jimh
Sturgeon

I can't figure out why you'd want one, but I have a coworker who just paid real money for a cockapoo. Mutts can be good dogs due to hybrid vigor, but I can't imagine crossing those two breeds that are so similar. Well, of course, most GSPs are more hunting oriented but those two breeds are pretty similar.

I had a half GWP/English Setter once upon a time. I paid 75 if I remember right about 25 years ago. I finally sold it back to the breeder since he really wanted her. It was an ok dog, but I personally didn't like having such a unique dog since nobody could tell what it was.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
ehunter
King Salmon

I think he is asking too much for a mixed up puppy. Was this in a intentional breeding thing? I have never seen or heard about this mix....We have weims and we paid a whole lot more. If your looking for a dog consider the rescue oraganizations you can get a full breed dog for a lot less...and feel good about it..
Old 11-06-2006, 02:39 AM   #6
gottafish
King Salmon

No it wasn't intentional, his femal got a visit from the guys dog down the street. they were locked up before he could do anything. both are papered and have great hunting bloodlines. he asked me if I wanted one and I said what the heck, and then he hit me with the 250. I told him to keep his mutts. Ive been looking into pointing labs from lostmountainlabs they are located up in Washington and I must say Im impressed. they point and retreve. and they have a littler ready by Christmas but I just cant swing the $$$ at this time. things is tight.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
jvp
Sturgeon

these breeds are cousins in a manner of speaking but they have a bit different temperment and the weime is more of a family/house dog than the gsp. $250 isn't bad if you wanted a great hunting dog and none of the #$%^&* that can come with getting a pure bred.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
ehunter
King Salmon

JVP I don't know about short hairs but weims are good hunting dogs as well but they have to be house dogs. Weims can point and retrieve as well but they are not good for cold weather retreiveing They are stubborn so they get a bad rap. They also are not kennel dogs, they have been bred to live with people. ...Sorry just wanted to say that weims are good hunters as well....

Last edited by ehunter; 11-06-2006 at 09:59 AM.
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #9
jvp
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
JVP I don't know about short hairs but weims are good hunting dogs as well but they have to be house dogs. Weims can point and retrieve as well but they are not good for cold weather retreiveing They are stubborn so they get a bad rap. They also are not kennel dogs, they have been bred to live with people. ...Sorry just wanted to say that weims are good hunters as well....

think i said the same thing and i agree house/family weim are they get really hard heaeded and grouchy if made into kennel dogs. shorthairs are much less in need let's say of human companionship as much and kennel much better without the headaches. but i wouldn't own a dog that i had to kept outside or kenneled anyway.

my big snivel is the way some breeders have all these rules about how your dog must be. ie. spayed/neutered but not until they get to a certain age and then they have the option of taking your dog for showing or trials or they get the first litter and all sorts of other discresionary rules to me. if i buy a dog it is mine IMOA

Old 11-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
ehunter
King Salmon

JVP I agree with you they go way over board and can be a snotty group..some of them but not me Your right though...
Old 11-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #11
Salty1
Steelhead

How about $250 to $350 for those cute (albeit worthless to sports) "Corgles" (cross bred Corgis Beagle) puppies. I swear they are getting what I feel is huge money for these mutts.
I'm still in shock!
Salty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #12
jvp
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty1 View Post
How about $250 to $350 for those cute (albeit worthless to sports) "Corgles" (cross bred Corgis Beagle) puppies. I swear they are getting what I feel is huge money for these mutts.
I'm still in shock!
but they are sooooooo cute that should be worth maybe $50
Old 11-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #13
Capin' Dan
Ifish Nate

My view point is if you pay a decent price for it maybe you'll take better care of it. That prices seems very reasonable to me.
Delta Waterfowl Sponser member #38
Deer Island OR.
Capin' Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
gsp0817
Chromer

I have got a Chocolate lab/shorthair mix and he is great dog.Points and will find anything down.Loves to retrieve in water.Best dog I have had!!!!!!!
gsp0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:05 PM   #15
gottafish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp0817 View Post
I have got a Chocolate lab/shorthair mix and he is great dog.Points and will find anything down.Loves to retrieve in water.Best dog I have had!!!!!!!
Now that is a good cross and worth the money . I had a black lab gsp cross great dog.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #16
SlyHawk
Chromer

Do you like any of the pup's---I mean really-----If so get im!
Old 11-07-2006, 11:53 PM   #17
Half fast Toyn
Ifish Nate

I dont know if a dog is worth $250 to you or not, But Ive never had a pet (pure breed or not) that Id sell to anyone for any price. Dogs become family in my house and if they arent family...they wouldnt be worth a cent.

The cost the owner asks for pups reflects the type of continued care he expects for his dogs from thier new owner.
Half fast Toyn is offline   Reply With Quote