Grays Harbor - Buoy 13 - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 09-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
guidesak
Fry

Default Grays Harbor - Buoy 13

Well I have been lurking on the board for a while and its a wealth of info.

Moved down from Alaska 18 months ago, bought a 22 ft Custom boat with a 150hp. The weather or my timing has been off and haven't played with it much.

Looking for info on how to fish the Grays Harbor East of buoy 13 fishery.

Live in Ocean Shores so I can drop the boat in anytime.

I see one of the traditions is tell a fish story. Well I don't have one in particular, but you can see my old fishing exploits in Alaska at
http://www.alaskafishinglogs.com/
It's a non-commercial page where I used to keep my fishing logs. It didn't like the htnl editor conversion but I think I fixed most of it.

Pretty much stopped fishing after I left my state job and got married. But trying to get back into the swing of things. Older logs around 1999 to 2002 are the best.

Any info would be appreciated.

guidesak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
Smoked Salmon
King Salmon

Default Re: Grays Harbor - Buoy 13

Welcome aboard.

Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
guidesak
Fry

Thanks.

I plan to catch and release all of my fish save one or two cohos for fresh grilling. Just don't eat enough salmon to throw a 30 pound fish into the freezer.

The largest biomass I have taken for food out of the harbor to date has been the anchovies. Wife thinks they are better eating than the salmon! I guess I can share my "bait" fish with her.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
Tower Todd
Chromer

Welcome.

Tower Tower
Old 09-18-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
slabhunter
Sturgeon

Welcome aboard!

I'll be fishing that area the first week in October. This fishery lives by rain.

WDFW allows for a couple of weeks of chinook retention, however it's basicly out of escapement.

There are some very nice coho returning to this drainage. Look for fresh water sources like the mouth of Johns River etc. to draw fish on any given tide. Early in the season there is a lot eel grass floating around so most people use a three way swivel-dropper sinker setup there. Bait, spinners, and wobblers work well. Plugs (Wigglers/Warts) catch fish there as well, but they can be a hastle to tune with the single point barbless hook restriction.

I'll be in a 22' black/white alumaweld. CB 13. VHF 68.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
KAYOS
Fry

I was out sundayasked fish checker she said no coho caught yet--------- have to realse kings untill oct 1 I will be there hope to see some Ifish stickers
KAYOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
Super Fluke
King Salmon

Welcome
Old 09-18-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
guidesak
Fry

Thanks for the responses and welcomes.

I am curious to find out where the fish are in the bay. When I fish cohos in the rivers, I fish the bottom for the most part. In the ocean it seems to be in the top of the water column. So where are they when they enter the bay?

Do you have to be as close to the mouths of the rivers as possible? Or can you fish them closer to the the mouth of Grays Harbor by buoy 13 ( I think that's where the buoy is supposed to be??? I can't seem to find it anywhere).

Anchor up, drift or troll? I hate anchoring up, okay so I am lazy. I'd rather drift and mooch/jig but from what I have read it sounds more like a troll or anchor deal.

Does anyone bottom bounce here like we do on the Kenai River in Alaska? I prefer that kind of fishing. Feel the hit, get to rear back on the rod (instead of just gunning the engine or see my rod pop off the downrigger) and feel a big fish at the end of a short line.

I'm used to the single hook restrictions from fishing the Kenai River but this barbless thing is new. I bet a sardine wrapped k-14 or 15 Kwikfish would work.

This rain has definitely brought a few fish into area rivers. I had some folks tell me the Quinault River had a good influx of cohos and kings today. Queets River apparently had a decent surge of cohos caught by the gill netters as well. Apparently the silvers were huge and roe was very mature for this early in the season.

I'm in a 22' white Prima center console with a 150 merc. I'm fishing alone 99% of the time. As soon as I get my VHF, I'll probaby be on 68.

Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #9
slabhunter
Sturgeon

maptech link

NOAA online viewer

Most of the fish are caught in the bottom third in 25-35 ft of water near the deadline. As one goes further into the bay, the fish will be more shallow.